Difference among Fast, Fast Medium and Medium Fast

DJhant

Debutant
Runs
It is seen quite often that bowlers are tagged with this kind of description, in sports sites, however, is there any logic in how it is done? For example, Wasim Jr is Fast Medium, but Md Shami is fast, even though I don't think in terms of avg pace there is much difference. Can anyone enlighten me?

It can be subjective at times. I would say a bowler who can bowl 90 mph+ consistently is fast. 80-89 mph is fast-medium.
I wouldn't categorize Wasim Jr as fast yet. He just does not seem to have that express threatening pace. Whereas Shami to me, is on the borderline between fast-medium and fast. But because he is Indian, they will always categorise him as fast :)

So it's the perception of the website owners? Forget India, Pat Cummins bowls now well below 140, he is also fast bowler as per cricinfo etc

Indeed, but let's also give the case of Wasim Akram. In the 2003 WC he was bowling at around 136kph. Yet he was still classified as 'fast'. It would be unfair to classify the legend as being 'fast-medium' haha

Indeed, but let's also give the case of Wasim Akram. In the 2003 WC he was bowling at around 136kph. Yet he was still classified as 'fast'. It would be unfair to classify the legend as being 'fast-medium' haha
In the last WC, medium fast tag infuriated Andre Russel, who went on to bowl 90+ mph to bowl Pakistan out. So medium fast tag isn't always a bad thing I suppose 🤣🤣🤣

In the last WC, medium fast tag infuriated Andre Russel, who went on to bowl 90+ mph to bowl Pakistan out. So medium fast tag isn't always a bad thing I suppose 🤣🤣🤣

haha let's hope it similarly motivates Wasim Jr and Hasan Ali to crank it up!

Its quite subjective and the reputation of the bowler also comes into play

I would classify(KPH):
150+ = Fast
140-149 = Fast Medium
130-139 = Medium Fast
Below 130 = Indian pacer/Trudler/Medium

P.S Afridi as a pacer can bowl 120-130kph

I would classify(KPH):
150+ = Fast
140-149 = Fast Medium
130-139 = Medium Fast

This guy's is so much jealous of Indian pacers . Indian Truldenrs were won back to back series in Australia and recently gave Epic phainti to Pakistan :ROFLMAO:

I would classify(KPH):
150+ = Fast
140-149 = Fast Medium
130-139 = Medium Fast

Loved the jibe at the Indian pacers. I hope being really phasst serves Pakistan atleast some noteworthy achievement :)

Indians get offended easily these days... We have saying, aurta teer layna...

I wonder where the likes of Mcgrath and Asif get mentioned as

Fast - Mitchell Starc, Lockie Ferguson, Nortje, Haris Rauf, Wood ( consistently over 145 kph)
Fast Medium - Rabada, Cummins, Bumrah, Naseem Shah, Lahiru ( 140-145 kph )
Medium Fast - Hazlewood, Siraj, Trent Boult, Shaheen Shah, Southee ( 135-140 kph)
Trundlers - Hasan Ali, Hardik Pandya, Woakes , Wasim Jr, Shardul Thakur, Willey ( below 135 kph )

145+ - Express fast
142+ - fast
137-142( attacking stumps and hurrying batsman) - Fast medium
135-140( more focussed towards accuracy and control) - Medium fast
Below 135 - Trundler

1.Nortje, Starc, Wood, Rauf are express fast.
2. Rabada, Cummins and Bumrah are fast. Rabada has dipped a bit more than other two but when he started, he was genuine fast so I will give him a bit leeway because of larger career.
3.Shaheen, Siraj, Shami are fast medium.
4. Southee, Hazelwood and Pandya are medium fast.
5. Trundlers category - Faheem Ashraf, Hasan Ali, Wasim JNR, Thakur

Fast - Mitchell Starc, Lockie Ferguson, Nortje, Haris Rauf, Wood ( consistently over 145 kph)
Medium Fast - Hazlewood, Siraj, Trent Boult, Shaheen Shah, Southee ( 135-140 kph)
Trundlers - Hasan Ali, Hardik Pandya, Woakes , Wasim Jr, Shardul Thakur, Willey ( below 135 kph )

Pandya is more between fast medium and medium fast.

On a different note its not just pace

Curtly Ambrose bowled mostly in the 135-140 kph but boz of his height , he was very menacing especially with his bouncers. even Courtney Walsh was mostly 135 kph but had a nasty bouncer due to his height. On the other hand Shaheen has the height but does not have that nasty bouncer - hence he does not feel so menacing

Malinga , Bumrah & Wasim Akram were mostly around 140 kph but looked quicker bcoz of their quick arm actions

Then there was Muhammad Sami who could bowl 150 kph but bcoz he sprayed it so much and rarely bowled bouncers - so he looked less menacing

145+ - Express fast
142+ - fast
137-142( attacking stumps and hurrying batsman) - Fast medium
135-140( more focussed towards accuracy and control) - Medium fast
Below 135 - Trundler

1.Nortje, Starc, Wood, Rauf are express fast.
2. Rabada, Cummins and Bumrah are fast. Rabada has dipped a bit more than other two but when he started, he was genuine fast so I will give him a bit leeway because of larger career.
3.Shaheen, Siraj, Shami are fast medium.
4. Southee, Hazelwood and Pandya are medium fast.
5. Trundlers category - Faheem Ashraf, Hasan Ali, Wasim JNR, Thakur
Express fats is 150 kph plus - Shoaib Akhtar, Brett Lee, Shaun Tait, Jofra Archer ( 2019 phase) , Mitchel Starc ( 2015 era ) , Sami , Wood ( when fit ) , Alan Donald ( early 90s) , Mitchell Johnson ( 2013 Ashes )

These classifications are often based on country narratives

Bumrah , Shami, Ishant , Siraj , Umesh Yadav wud have been classified as " fast bowlers " if they were born in Pakistan. Just like Asif , Hasan Ali , Umar Gul , Shaheen wud have been branded as trundlers if they played for India !

As per speed gun records from 1999 World Cup - Javagal Srinath was wuicker than most bowlers - including Wasim Akram & Alan Donald - but he is still classified as trundler

Shaheen Shah has been bowling consistently at about 135-140 kph for long time now. He is lucky he is Pakistani - so still classified as " fast bowler "

In my opinion, classification can be as follows:
Fast Bowler:
Exceeding 90 miles per hour (145 kilometers per hour) or even faster.
Fast-Medium Bowlers: 80-90 miles per hour.
Medium-Fast Bowler: Range of 70-80 miles per hour.
what are your views?

Upper middle class is middle class.
Lower middle class is middle class.
Glycoproteins are proteins.
African Americans are Americans.
Why is fast medium higher than medium fast?

It is seen quite often that bowlers are tagged with this kind of description, in sports sites, however, is there any logic in how it is done? For example, Wasim Jr is Fast Medium, but Md Shami is fast, even though I don't think in terms of avg pace there is much difference. Can anyone enlighten me?
Seems moreso based on ability and bounce factor than speed to me.

Based on reputation. Prime wasim was 139-145 in odi.

In tests he was 135-144 on average.
I disagree about lahiru. He is genuinely fast. 145-155.

I posted the below on another thread. Seems pertinent to this one too:

On the topic, I remember years ago - maybe on Pakistan’s 2001 tour of England. One of the channels ch4 (who were also showing highlights) or Sky had a segment where they addressed how they classify bowlers - (the little label on the screen which shows “Fast” or “Fast Medium”.

Some viewers before that were conplaining why Waqar and Wasim were classified as “Fast” and someone like Andy Caddick was classified as “Fast Medium” when (at the time) Caddick on average was faster than both of them. Someone on the channel (can’t remember who) said that it’s about the attitude. Even if Waqar and Wasim are not as quick as they used to be, their approach is still of an attacking fast bowler where they’ll bowl bouncers, attack the stumps, Yorkers and look to take wickets. Whereas some of the other bowlers will primarily look to contain or bowl a consistent line and length and wait for the mistakes.

These classifications are often based on country narratives

Bumrah , Shami, Ishant , Siraj , Umesh Yadav wud have been classified as " fast bowlers " if they were born in Pakistan. Just like Asif , Hasan Ali , Umar Gul , Shaheen wud have been branded as trundlers if they played for India !

As per speed gun records from 1999 World Cup - Javagal Srinath was wuicker than most bowlers - including Wasim Akram & Alan Donald - but he is still classified as trundler

Shaheen Shah has been bowling consistently at about 135-140 kph for long time now. He is lucky he is Pakistani - so still classified as " fast bowler "
Lulz.

Shaheen before injury clocked AVERAGE pace of 140k even in tests (South Africa series 2021). In white ball, he was always over 140k on average and close to 150k in t20s.

These labels do not change that easily. Pre injury Shaheen was faster than any Indian bowler barring Umran Malik.

Express - Bowler bowling many 90+ (145 km) miles per hr and on rare case go 95+ (153 k)
Bowlers in this category are usually for short duration at their peak. Exception being Lee and Akhtar who were express for longer time.
Fast - Bowler bowling mostly bowl above 87+ (140 k) miles per hr and on sometimes goes near 93 mph (150 k).
Fast Medium - Bowler bowling mostly 84+(135km) miles per hr and on on rhythm goes 87+ mph (140 k). Can even go close to 90 mph (145 k)
Medium Fast - Bowler bowling usually between 78+ (125km) and 84 mph (135). Fastest one can go close to 87 mph (140 k)

Fast : Shoaib Akhtar
Fast Medium : Steyn
Medium Fast: Vaas
Trundler: Praveen Kumar
Medium: Roonie Irani
Dibbly Dobby: Kohli, Harris

Haris Rauf- Fast
Shaheen- Fast Medium
Hasan Ali- Medium Fast
Faheem Ashraf- Medium

I would classify(KPH):
150+ = Fast
140-149 = Fast Medium
130-139 = Medium Fast

This arrogance was so nice to read during the Asia Cup.

Of course, the the brutal thrashing of Haris Rauf that happened subsequently in the World Cup make me wonder whether there should be a new classification

Above 150(Pakistani style). - get smashed for a record number of sixes at an even faster rate.

Real express bowlers who kept speed for a long period. I have only seen two. Akhtar and Lee.

I would classify(KPH):
150+ = Fast
140-149 = Fast Medium
130-139 = Medium Fast

145+ = Fast
140-145 = medium fast
130-139 = trundler
Below 130 = trundler

Minimum expectation should be 140k+ at a test match level.

I would classify(KPH):
150+ = Fast
140-149 = Fast Medium
130-139 = Medium Fast

You were absolutely correct about Shaheen Afridi. He has been bowling 120-130 kph

Last edited by a moderator:
Shane Bond at the time of Akhtar and Lee was a sight to behold too until his back fully gave way

Fast - More than 150 KMH.

Fast Medium - 140-150 KMH.

Medium Fast - 130-140 KMH.

Medium - Less than 130 KMH.

Fast - Akhtar
Fast medium - wasim
Medium fast - Anderson
Medium - shaheen
Prime Anderson was fast medium. He bowls 129 130 on average now. Surely 10 years back he would be 136 on average.

Lol at shaheen medium

Indians get offended easily these days... We have saying, aurta teer layna...

I wonder where the likes of Mcgrath and Asif get mentioned as
Prime mcgrath was fast medium. I don't like this myth floating around cause kids saw him around 2003 to 2006 when he slowed down.

Prime mcgrath was 135 to 145 speed in late 90s to around early 2000 (2002 ish)

He bowled 135 to 145 consistently

Only post 33 years of age or so he slowed down to trundling speeds of averaging around 127 to 130 kmph.

Shaheen is definitely a medium or medium-fast at most now. His pace has drastically dropped since that injury. Apart from Haris rauf, nobody is fast enough now.

We need to add fast spinner as an option.. only one player will fall in that category which is Shahid Afridi. :ROFLMAO:

Back