Dubai Govt To Build Infrastructure In J&K, First Investment MoU Post Art 370 Abrogation

Romali_rotti

Senior T20I Player
Runs
This is the first time that an investment MoU for J&K has been signed between India and a foreign government since the abrogation of Article 370.

In a key development, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) government signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with India to build infrastructure in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K). This is the first time that an investment MoU for J&K has been signed between India and a foreign government since the abrogation of Article 370 and the bifurcation of the UT in August 2019.

According to the Union Government, several entities from Dubai have shown an interest in investment in the region. The signed accord will see the Dubai government building several pieces of infrastructure in J&K including industrial parks, IT towers, multi-purpose towers, logistics centres, a medical college and a speciality hospital.

J&K traversing on development bandwagon: Piyush Goyal
In an official statement, Union Minister for Commerce and Industry Piyush Goyal highlighted the significance of the MoU with the Dubai Government and stated that the world was recognizing the pace with which Jammu and Kashmir was traversing on the development bandwagon.

Piyush Goyal said, "This MoU gives out a strong signal to the entire world that the way India is transforming into a global power, Jammu & Kashmir is having a significant role into that as well. It is a milestone after which the investment will pour in from entire globe and is a big developmental push. Different entities from Dubai have shown keen interest in investment. Development has to be aspired on all fronts and we are on track."

Thanking Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Union Home Minister Amit Shah, Piyush Goyal remarked that their focus and commitment towards the development of UT, including the recent industrial package of Rs 28,400 Crore had paved the way for its development. On the other hand, Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha hoped that this development journey would help the Union Territory scale new heights in Industrialization and sustainable growth. No figure for the value of the accord between India and Dubai was given by the Centre.

https://www.republicworld.com/india...t-investment-mou-post-art-370-abrogation.html

All Pakistan have is China who will support them and oppose this, rest of the paper 'Ummah' and Islamic council etc don't really care about Pakistan.

Sad.

This is the first time that an investment MoU for J&K has been signed between India and a foreign government since the abrogation of Article 370.

In a key development, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) government signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with India to build infrastructure in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K). This is the first time that an investment MoU for J&K has been signed between India and a foreign government since the abrogation of Article 370 and the bifurcation of the UT in August 2019.

According to the Union Government, several entities from Dubai have shown an interest in investment in the region. The signed accord will see the Dubai government building several pieces of infrastructure in J&K including industrial parks, IT towers, multi-purpose towers, logistics centres, a medical college and a speciality hospital.

J&K traversing on development bandwagon: Piyush Goyal
In an official statement, Union Minister for Commerce and Industry Piyush Goyal highlighted the significance of the MoU with the Dubai Government and stated that the world was recognizing the pace with which Jammu and Kashmir was traversing on the development bandwagon.

Piyush Goyal said, "This MoU gives out a strong signal to the entire world that the way India is transforming into a global power, Jammu & Kashmir is having a significant role into that as well. It is a milestone after which the investment will pour in from entire globe and is a big developmental push. Different entities from Dubai have shown keen interest in investment. Development has to be aspired on all fronts and we are on track."

Thanking Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Union Home Minister Amit Shah, Piyush Goyal remarked that their focus and commitment towards the development of UT, including the recent industrial package of Rs 28,400 Crore had paved the way for its development. On the other hand, Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha hoped that this development journey would help the Union Territory scale new heights in Industrialization and sustainable growth. No figure for the value of the accord between India and Dubai was given by the Centre.

https://www.republicworld.com/india...t-investment-mou-post-art-370-abrogation.html

All Pakistan have is China who will support them and oppose this, rest of the paper 'Ummah' and Islamic council etc don't really care about Pakistan.

Sad.

Why are you sad about it?

Empathy my friend, I put myself in a Pakistani's shoes.

Oh ok. Seemed a strange thing to say.

Pakistan has slowly titled away from Arab countries...maybe too late but there has been a subtle shift. Particularly with the UAE.

Good news for Kashmiris though.

Hopefully we destroy the infrastructure :)

You will lose leverage with uae then, are you prepared for further sanctions…

I think Pakistan has lostthe UAE already.

Only thing in Pakistans favour is to benefit from small-scale frictions between different arab regimes. In the ME there are three factions atm - Saudi, Qatari and Emirati.

While on the face of it these guys are cooperative they are in reality fiercely combative and competitive. The UAE and MBZ have signalled that they are willing to do things without the Saudis ( recognising Israel, pulling out of Yemen coalition etc) and the Qataris have demonstrated that they will go on their own if they have to.

Pakistans only chance is to get some patronage from the rivals to the UAE but the days of these Arabs giving money for no return are long gone. Pakistan must bring something to the table here....what it can bring is the million dollar question.

Basically Pakistan has to be the Newcastle United FC to Saudi Arabia while India & others is the Man City to the UAE.

All the more apt as Pakistan is close to relegation just as Newcastle and while India claims to be a regional power they are not in the top tier of the champions league like Man City :genius:genius:genius

Only thing in Pakistans favour is to benefit from small-scale frictions between different arab regimes. In the ME there are three factions atm - Saudi, Qatari and Emirati.

While on the face of it these guys are cooperative they are in reality fiercely combative and competitive. The UAE and MBZ have signalled that they are willing to do things without the Saudis ( recognising Israel, pulling out of Yemen coalition etc) and the Qataris have demonstrated that they will go on their own if they have to.

Pakistans only chance is to get some patronage from the rivals to the UAE but the days of these Arabs giving money for no return are long gone. Pakistan must bring something to the table here....what it can bring is the million dollar question.

Basically Pakistan has to be the Newcastle United FC to Saudi Arabia while India & others is the Man City to the UAE.

All the more apt as Pakistan is close to relegation just as Newcastle and while India claims to be a regional power they are not in the top tier of the champions league like Man City :genius:genius:genius

I agree so far pakistan has been neutral to all 3 - uae , saudi & qatar.
But good luck when they will try to arm twist , should you need them.
Add iran & afg to the list. They are gonna be another tussle.

Its complicated :)

and the Shimla Agreement keeps on getting violated by India

Pakistan must bring something to the table here....what it can bring is the million dollar question.

I dont know exactly what you are hinting ( veiled threat perhaps i donno :) ) , but all the parties you mentioned, including Afghanistan & iran have good mineral wealth. So they are covered that way

I dont know exactly what you are hinting ( veiled threat perhaps i donno :) ) , but all the parties you mentioned, including Afghanistan & iran have good mineral wealth. So they are covered that way

Nope no threat. All i mean is the days of Pakistan recieving blank cheques are gone. India is a market prime for investment which means the UAE are happy to build infrastructure. Pakistan needs to make itself attractive to the Saudis and play off on some regional tensions within the Arabs if it to recieve some benefit.

Nope no threat. All i mean is the days of Pakistan recieving blank cheques are gone. India is a market prime for investment which means the UAE are happy to build infrastructure. Pakistan needs to make itself attractive to the Saudis and play off on some regional tensions within the Arabs if it to recieve some benefit.

Agree good point - pakistan is a huge market, and have spending power & definitely there’s great earning potential for investors esp. if they get the early advantage. Saudi, being an ally, can pave the way for others to follow.

and the Shimla Agreement keeps on getting violated by India

Starting from 1970s, the north east had separatist issues but as economy progressed especially post 2000, everything came back to normal.

Economy plays a greater role in peace.

Its good news for the people there - nothing to be unhappy about.

We shouldnt be punishing people for the political stance of their Govts.

Great news. An AIIMS is already in plans for construction in Kashmir. Hopefully the challenging Udhampur-Baramulla railway line is completed soon which would connect Kashmir to the Indian railway network for the first time. Kashmir was connected to Indian railway network constructed by the British but the link from J&K to Punjab was lost after partition as the intervening portion fell on Pakistan's side which severed the links. It's very challenging because the terrain is very difficult due to the snowy mountains and Chenab river.

The railway link to connect Baramulla with Jammu and the Z morh/Zohila tunnels to connect Srinagar with Leh are probably the two most high priority infrastructure projects in Kashmir.

As an aside, I hope more than Kashmir, the central govt makes an effort to build infrastructure in the north east. That region has been the chronically neglected part of India, which again like Kashmir has challenges due to its mountainous terrain. Infrastructure projects in Kashmir can often get delayed due to militant attacks, yet a lot of infrastructure projects are lined up in Kashmir.

But the north eastern region has been neglected for too long while the people there have been nothing but patient. Not just infrastructure development and building connectivity, I think they need a lot of cultural representation like in movies and stuff. Bollywood really needs to expand from the typical Punjabi/north indian/Mumbai representation to the hinterlands of India like the north east and include more actors from that region to be inclusive, oh and most importantly without the terrible stereotypes too. Last time I watched a few scenes from Chennai express, I thought south india died a little in that film lol.

What a loser mindset.
Maybe instead of trying to get ‘patronage’ from Arabs, Pakistan should focus on improving its economy and the standard of living of its citizens.
At the end of the day money talks and Pakistan needs to focus on making itself an attractive market. Everything else is secondary.

What a loser mindset.
Maybe instead of trying to get ‘patronage’ from Arabs, Pakistan should focus on improving its economy and the standard of living of its citizens.
At the end of the day money talks and Pakistan needs to focus on making itself an attractive market. Everything else is secondary.

I don't think you can read.

I clearly mention that it needs to bring something to the table to increase the likelihood of investment.

Pakistan is a third world country and will need help from allies to achieve its goals. There is no loser mentality.

MoU.

Don't get your hopes high.

No one puts money into a burning building.

Kashmir will continue to burn for decades. Been watching the news lately?

Every country rightfully does what is best for it. This is why I laugh and mock this Ummah rubbish. UAE building infrastructure in the occupied valley will never bring peace. The Kashmiri's are demanding freedom not better infrastructure.

MoU.

Doesn't stop the Chinese in investing in Balochistan though, which is burning even more than Kashmir.

Doesn't stop the Chinese in investing in Balochistan though, which is burning even more than Kashmir.

Baluchistan is not burning at all. It is Assam, IoK, Uttarakhand that are on edge. The farmers protests has Punjab on the brink of war too. How about the Naxalites lest I forget them!:faf

Baluchistan is not burning at all. It is Assam, IoK, Uttarakhand that are on edge. The farmers protests has Punjab on the brink of war too. How about the Naxalites lest I forget them!:faf

Assam is much peaceful now than it was in 1970s and 80s. The separatist movement has been died down with the progress in economy especially under BJP (and the last few tenure of Tarun gogoi then CM of congress).

When the state progresses, these movements automatically dies down. North east is a prime example of that.

Hope they plan to protect these from the miscreants who must be salivating to destroy these.

I don't know the exact number but I think the number of lives lost in the last one year in Assam, Kashmir and Uttarakhand combined would be lesser than the lives lost in Balochistan and Waziristan. As unfortunate as it is, my point is not to compare the deaths. My point is that the security situation in Kashmir is not anymore worse than the security situation in Balochistan and Waziristan, and yet the Chinese invest in Balochistan. No reason why the Emiratis can't do the same in Kashmir.

Dont see a problem with UAE building infrastructure in Kashmir. Its not like they are recognizing India's claim to the state. I see it as a non issue.

Dont see a problem with UAE building infrastructure in Kashmir. Its not like they are recognizing India's claim to the state. I see it as a non issue.

So why are they talking to India as an investor?

Seems the world powers have moved on from Kashmir (issue or non-issue) and have all become very progressive. Most nations are inwardly focussed and are working on their economic issues rather than other countries political issues. Those nations that don't do this are basically trying to stifle their growth in lieu of some political mileage.

Ancient wisdom :
You need to consolidate very well (like USA) and use tongs (like $$) before you handle a burning charcoal (like Kashmir). Try any other way, your hands gonna be burnt

Hopefully we destroy the infrastructure :)

Why would you want to do that? It's infrastructure built by a Muslim country in a Muslim land to be largely enjoyed by Muslim people.

MoU.

Agree, your point is well taken but the thing we are slightly hopeful abt is it comes under the only minister in the cabinet whos words have some value - Mr Piyush Goyal

I don't know the exact number but I think the number of lives lost in the last one year in Assam, Kashmir and Uttarakhand combined would be lesser than the lives lost in Balochistan and Waziristan. As unfortunate as it is, my point is not to compare the deaths. My point is that the security situation in Kashmir is not anymore worse than the security situation in Balochistan and Waziristan, and yet the Chinese invest in Balochistan. No reason why the Emiratis can't do the same in Kashmir.

This is quite untrue and Im not sure if you are trolling or if this is a genuine belief in India.

Anyway, the baloch situation will be significantly calmer now that their support from Afghanistan has ended.

There has never been curfews, severing of tele-communications, or military occupation imposed on the people of Balochistan.

I think this could be a great step. The people of Kashmir require and deserve this sort of development.
If they finally get the plebiscite they are hankering for, this sort of investment will aid the people of Kashmir in the long term.

However, they may themselves put a barrier to it until they have their vote.

This is quite untrue and Im not sure if you are trolling or if this is a genuine belief in India.

Anyway, the baloch situation will be significantly calmer now that their support from Afghanistan has ended.

There has never been curfews, severing of tele-communications, or military occupation imposed on the people of Balochistan.

Mate this is a bit far fetched I assure you.

I'm not insinuating that the local support for secession in Balochistan is as strong as it is Kashmir. There is a definite discontent among the local populace in both Balochistan and Waziristan, but it isn't strong as it is in Kashmir.

But businesses don't work like that. Every investment needs a stable environment with good security and peace. More terrorist attacks happen in Balochistan and Waziristan than Kashmir even if the general discontent among the Kashmiri population may be higher. I don't know the stats but I'm pretty sure the number of lives lost of both security personnel and civilians would be higher in Balochistan and Waziristan than Kashmir in the last year and this year.

I'm not insinuating that the local support for secession in Balochistan is as strong as it is Kashmir. There is a definite discontent among the local populace in both Balochistan and Waziristan, but it isn't strong as it is in Kashmir.

But businesses don't work like that. Every investment needs a stable environment with good security and peace. More terrorist attacks happen in Balochistan and Waziristan than Kashmir even if the general discontent among the Kashmiri population may be higher. I don't know the stats but I'm pretty sure the number of lives lost of both security personnel and civilians would be higher in Balochistan and Waziristan than Kashmir in the last year and this year.

In a decade around 3000 deaths In Baluchistan from Terrorist attacks of which approximately 50pct Security personnel.

In 2019 over 400 died in just that year in Kashmir. That is from Terrorist attacks.

I'd advise you to look at the stats, both over two years and then over longer time periods. Any uptick in Balochistan may be temporarily due to the US war of terror which has now ended, yet there will still be a greater level of death in Kashmir.

Also, stable environments aren't created through curfews or military lockdowns, which is the norm in Kashmir. There was a 2-year military curfew and lockdown in Kashmir which banned most telecommunication services. Is this a sign of stability?

You clearly don't know much about Kashmir and even less about Balochistan.

I'd advise you to look at the stats, both over two years and then over longer time periods. Any uptick in Balochistan may be temporarily due to the US war of terror which has now ended, yet there will still be a greater level of death in Kashmir.

Also, stable environments aren't created through curfews or military lockdowns, which is the norm in Kashmir. There was a 2-year military curfew and lockdown in Kashmir which banned most telecommunication services. Is this a sign of stability?

You clearly don't know much about Kashmir and even less about Balochistan.

I'll admit, I just checked the stats in a reputed anti terrorism portal website tracking south asia and the number of deaths in Kashmir is not less. But they're roughly comparable nonetheless and in some cases, the fatalities in Balochistan and KPK is higher.

Number of total deaths in the following regions:

Balochistan:

2020 - 215
2021 - 225 (till date)

https://www.satp.org/datasheet-terrorist-attack/fatalities/pakistan-balochistan

KPK:

2020 - 216
2021 - 247 (till date)

https://www.satp.org/datasheet-terrorist-attack/fatalities/pakistan-khyberpakhtunkhwa

Jammu and Kashmir:

2020 - 321
2021 - 208 (till date)

https://www.satp.org/datasheet-terrorist-attack/fatalities/india-jammukashmir

I have never denied the fact that the security situation in Kashmir is far from ideal. Everyone knows the huge challenges in Kashmir. But a lot of Pakistanis make the situation in Balochistan to to be largely normal apart from a few miscreants which is far from the truth. Otherwise you wouldn't have this many number of deaths in the province, you wouldn't have restrictions to foreigners and foreign press visiting the region and you wouldn't have long marches of people protesting the state against enforced disappearances.

The Gwadar deep sea port is one of the flagship projects of the CPEC. Do your homework.

Gwadar port cost 250 million dollars to build.

CPEC total investment is 62 billion dollars. The vast majority of that is being invested in Punjab, Sindh, Gilgit Baltistan and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.

Map-showing-major-projects-of-China-Pakistan-Economic-Corridor-13-14-15-16.jpg

Like I said earlier, do your homework.

Last edited:
Gwadar port cost 250 million dollars to build.

CPEC total investment is 62 billion dollars. The vast majority of that is being invested in Punjab, Sindh, Gilgit Baltistan and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.

View attachment 112524

The project that's economically, strategically and from a military pov most important to China is the Gwadar deep sea port.

Anyway it's not a question of comparing different regions. The important fact is that the Chinese were ready to shell out a quarter of a billion dollars in a region that's rife with terrorism and insurgency, this despite of the fact that some Chinese workers losing their lives in the region in terrorist attacks. If the Chinese are determined enough to continue with the project in Gwadar despite all these challenges, not sure why the Emiratis can't do the same in Kashmir. It's not like Arabs are going to come to the ground zero to work in projects like the Chinese do in risky circumstances.

Dont forget the Kuwaiti/Omani neutral faction

The project that's economically, strategically and from a military pov most important to China is the Gwadar deep sea port.

Anyway it's not a question of comparing different regions. The important fact is that the Chinese were ready to shell out a quarter of a billion dollars in a region that's rife with terrorism and insurgency, this despite of the fact that some Chinese workers losing their lives in the region in terrorist attacks. If the Chinese are determined enough to continue with the project in Gwadar despite all these challenges, not sure why the Emiratis can't do the same in Kashmir. It's not like Arabs are going to come to the ground zero to work in projects like the Chinese do in risky circumstances.

Not really considering China is also investing in Karachi port now too.

Secondly you have just validated my point. China has economic, strategic and military POV in these projects which is why they are taking the risk.

What does UAE have in Kashmir? Nothing.

Thirdly it is a MoU. You know what a memorandum of understanding is right?

Not really considering China is also investing in Karachi port now too.

Secondly you have just validated my point. China has economic, strategic and military POV in these projects which is why they are taking the risk.

What does UAE have in Kashmir? Nothing.

Thirdly it is a MoU. You know what a memorandum of understanding is right?

Look we can debate endlessly whether these projects will come to fruition or not. Ultimately they have signed the MoU and let's see what happens in the future. As it stands, these projects are slated to happen.

Assam is much peaceful now than it was in 1970s and 80s. The separatist movement has been died down with the progress in economy especially under BJP (and the last few tenure of Tarun gogoi then CM of congress).

When the state progresses, these movements automatically dies down. North east is a prime example of that.

If I believe you then you do what I say too. I have visited Baluchistan many times enjoying my stay there. It is Indian propaganda saying people are being killed there. Every now and again protests erupt everywhere.

You are wrong about the Baluchistan. You are being ridiculous comparing the killings in IoK to Baluchistan, there is no comparison at all. In IoK there are many deaths occurring daily and so many people have been kidnapped and killed by Indian occupational forces. When did you last visit IoK? I did so KPK and Baluchistan some months back.

Chinese are investing in CPEC. Arab's will be challenged by the Kashmiris more then the Pakistanis but I have always said there is no such thing as the Ummah. I only care about Pak. Syria, Palestine, Iraq and Yemen wars don't interest me. Pak soldiers are not being killed in Baluchistan but Indian ones are by the Kashmiris in IoK.

Dont keep your hopes us. Dubai is struggling itself, it would be idiotic to spend millions in an occupied land. Imagine them promoting their new buildings with Indian soldiers pointing guns at kids in the background.

If I believe you then you do what I say too. I have visited Baluchistan many times enjoying my stay there. It is Indian propaganda saying people are being killed there. Every now and again protests erupt everywhere.

Are you from baluch....?

Are you from baluch....?

No I am Punjabi married to a Kashmiri lady. My 3 best friends are Baluch and I have visited KPK too. Waziristan is much better now then it was before.

Pak soldiers are not being killed in Baluchistan but Indian ones are by the Kashmiris in IoK.

You obviously don't know what is happening in your own country. These are attacks from just 2021.

On 7 March 2021, two Navy Personnel were killed in an attack, when they were on their way to Ganz from Jiwani, Balochistan.[86]
On 24 March 2021, A Bomb blast left at least 3 people dead and another 13 were injured.[87][88]
On 28 May 2021, BLA accepted the responsibility of targeting a water supply vehicle o Pakistan Army near a post at Nisau Dao Shah area of Kohlu with a landmine attack, which destroyed the vehicle completely & 4 personnel were killed.
On 31 May 2021, 10 Frontier Corps soldiers were killed and 12 were injured in two attacks, one IED attack in Turbat and attack on a Checkpoint near Quetta. The attack was claimed by BLA.[89][90]
On 9 June 2021, BLA accepted responsibility for the attack on the Pakistani army camp in the Karakdan area of Bolan Pass, in which two personnel were killed and two others were critically wounded.[91]
On 14 June 2021, 4 Pakistani soldiers were killed in an IED attack.The attack happened at Marget Mines, about 75 kilometers (45 miles) east of Quetta, the capital of Balochistan.[92]
On 17 June 2021, Pakistan Army soldier was killed in a terrorist attack near Turbat airport, according to a statement from the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR).[93]
On 25 June 2021, Five soldiers from Frontier Corps, Balochistan, were killed after terrorists targeted a patrolling party in Sibi district's Sangan area.The five killed soldiers were identified as Havildar Zafar Ali Khan, Lance Naik Hidayatullah, Lance Naik Nasir Abbas, Lance Naik Basheer Ahmed and Sepoy Noorullah.[94]
On 1 July 2021, The explosion took place near a moving Frontier Corps (FC) vehicle, At least six people were injured in a blast on Quetta's Airport Road.[95]
On 15 July 2021, Two soldiers were killed in an IED blast during an operation against terrorists in Pasni, Balochistan. The two killed soldiers were identified as Captain named Affan Masood Khan and Sepoy Babar Zaman[96][97]
On 20 August 2021, two children were killed and three were wounded in an attack targeting Chinese nationals in the port of Gwadar, Pakistan.[98]
On 26 September 2021, A statue of Pakistan's founder Mohammad Ali Jinnah has been destroyed by the Baloch militants in a bomb attack in the coastal city of Gwadar. The statue, which was installed in June at Marine Drive - considered a safe zone - was blown up by explosives placed beneath the statue on Sunday morning, Dawn reported on Monday.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balochistan_Liberation_Army#Attacks

So why are they talking to India as an investor?

Seems the world powers have moved on from Kashmir (issue or non-issue) and have all become very progressive. Most nations are inwardly focussed and are working on their economic issues rather than other countries political issues. Those nations that don't do this are basically trying to stifle their growth in lieu of some political mileage.

Ancient wisdom :
You need to consolidate very well (like USA) and use tongs (like $$) before you handle a burning charcoal (like Kashmir). Try any other way, your hands gonna be burnt

The world powers never cared about Kashmir, and they have always focused on their own issues. This is not something new. Only country in the world who cares about Kashmiri Muslims is Pakistan.

Why would you want to do that? It's infrastructure built by a Muslim country in a Muslim land to be largely enjoyed by Muslim people.

This is why it should be a non issue to Pakistan that UAE is investing in Kashmir. They are building infrastructure that will help the people of Jammu & Kashmir, not selling weapons that will kill them.

You obviously don't know what is happening in your own country. These are attacks from just 2021.

I do know. You are nit picking incidents where as in IoK Indian soldiers are being killed openly. There are no 1 million Pak soldiers oppressing people in Baluchistan rather the terrorists are normally coming from Afghanistan.

Back