Egypt bans niqab in schools

SalimBhai

First Class Player
Runs
Egypt just banned niqab in schools. What are everyone’s thoughts

Egypt bans niqab in schools​

Education minister says students can wear hijab but are no longer allowed to use face veils

The Egyptian government has announced a ban on the wearing of the face-covering niqab in schools from the beginning of the next term on 30 September.

Education Minister Reda Hegazy made the announcement on Monday, adding that students would still have the right to choose whether to wear a headscarf, but insisted it must not cover their faces.

He also said that the child's guardian should be aware of their choice, and that it must have been made without any outside pressure.

"Here, the role of the teachers of the Arabic language, religious education, and social and psychological education, will be to prepare the students psychologically to implement the ministry’s decision with all kindness and gentleness, taking into account the students’ psychological state and their age level," he said in a statement.

There has been an ongoing debate over the wearing of the niqab in schools for many years in Egypt.

The garment has been worn by Muslim women for religious reasons across the world for centuries.

Some in Egypt associate it with the Muslim Brotherhood, a group banned as a terrorist organisation since 2013, the same year a Brotherhood-backed elected government was overthrown in a military coup.

Rights group have argued that the Egyptian constitution protects religious freedoms and restricting the niqab is a violation of civil liberties.

A number of public and private institutions across Egypt already impose bans on the wearing of the niqab.

Cairo University has banned the wearing of face veils by teaching staff since 2015, a rule that was upheld by an Egyptian court in 2020.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am for government staying out of telling people what to wear. However o am not going to shed a tear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its all political as the Egpyt dictatorship wants to hold onto power, always fearing the brotherhoods return.

It makes no sense to force women to remove clothing, even if the veil is not Islamic in nature.

Muslim countries want to befriend the west. They are having Bollywood shows and celebrating Halloween in Saudi then why not ban the niqab in Muslim Egypt to attract white tourists?. In Iran they are forcing ladies to observe the hijab where as in Egypt the government is telling them to remove the veil. What are mess us Muslim's are.

Muslim countries want to befriend the west. They are having Bollywood shows and celebrating Halloween in Saudi then why not ban the niqab in Muslim Egypt to attract white tourists?. In Iran they are forcing ladies to observe the hijab where as in Egypt the government is telling them to remove the veil. What are mess us Muslim's are.
I am totally against the government telling people what or what not to wear. Having said that has it occurred to you that maybe the women don’t wanna wear the niqab/hijab. What percentage oof Iranians/saudis/afghans wear one in the west. Niqab almost close to zero. I have been to iran. When leaving by plane, the pilot announces we have left Iranian airspace and you can take off the head scarf. 99.99 percent take it off and trash it . I don’t like the move by the Egyptian government but having a face covering and being in school is a hinderance in teacher student relationship.

I am totally against the government telling people what or what not to wear. Having said that has it occurred to you that maybe the women don’t wanna wear the niqab/hijab. What percentage oof Iranians/saudis/afghans wear one in the west. Niqab almost close to zero. I have been to iran. When leaving by plane, the pilot announces we have left Iranian airspace and you can take off the head scarf. 99.99 percent take it off and trash it . I don’t like the move by the Egyptian government but having a face covering and being in school is a hinderance in teacher student relationship.
Yes it has occurred to me. The point is exactly that in Egypt and Iran they are both telling ladies to do the exact opposite to each other so confused are the Muslim's. The west allows women to observe the veil or hijab if or if not they want where as Muslim countries do not five the that choice. Commonsense is that even in Muslim countries women should not be told if or not they should cover their face or head. Other then the head and face people in Muslim countries should be made to dress modestly.

Yes it has occurred to me. The point is exactly that in Egypt and Iran they are both telling ladies to do the exact opposite to each other so confused are the Muslim's. The west allows women to observe the veil or hijab if or if not they want where as Muslim countries do not five the that choice. Commonsense is that even in Muslim countries women should not be told if or not they should cover their face or head. Other then the head and face people in Muslim countries should be made to dress modestly.
Agree with everything other than last line. What is modest. Who decides that. Who implements that? It’s a very subjective idea. Even within the Muslim world. In bosnia, turkey i see Muslim women dressed just like you would in America or europe. Their version might be different from a Muslim women from Pakistan. I live in the village in nyc. Years ago a woman started going topless to work, shop or whatever in my area . They fined her and she took the city to court and won. Now technically women can walk around topless in the streets in manhattan . How many followed suit none. I have not seen a single other women follow her path. I see her once in a few month waking around topless. Nobody blinks an eyelid .

Agree with everything other than last line. What is modest. Who decides that. Who implements that? It’s a very subjective idea. Even within the Muslim world. In bosnia, turkey i see Muslim women dressed just like you would in America or europe. Their version might be different from a Muslim women from Pakistan. I live in the village in nyc. Years ago a woman started going topless to work, shop or whatever in my area . They fined her and she took the city to court and won. Now technically women can walk around topless in the streets in manhattan . How many followed suit none. I have not seen a single other women follow her path. I see her once in a few month waking around topless. Nobody blinks an eyelid .
You don't know what modest dressing is in Islam?. It is to cover from the ankles to the neck. We are talking about the rules that should be implemented in Muslim majority countries not the west. If not then stop calling the likes of Pakistan "Islamic" at all. When living in the west the law again is supreme including for Muslim's who live there. Your blabbering on about how people dress in NYC is irrelevant.

Great decision. Schools shouldnt be the place of such customs, and once you eradicate these stupid customs and traditions from school, only than you can progress.

dont expect those people to understand that live overseas in their own community ghettos and not interact with the rest of the country..

Would be more of a story if Egypt was banning hijab. The niqab can't really be that practical in schools regardless of any other considerations. Not sure why you would need to ban it though. There doesn't seem to be any reasoning given in the OP article.

You don't know what modest dressing is in Islam?. It is to cover from the ankles to the neck. We are talking about the rules that should be implemented in Muslim majority countries not the west. If not then stop calling the likes of Pakistan "Islamic" at all. When living in the west the law again is supreme including for Muslim's who live there. Your blabbering on about how people dress in NYC is irrelevant.
I don’t think Muslim countries even agree on what modest clothing is.the variation is great from turkey to Afghanistan . Being modest is very subjective even in Muslim majority countries

Do you un
As expected, pin drop silence!

Do you understand what Niqab is?

Egyptian Muslimas - some of he the most religiously aware Muslims in the Middle East , do NOT wear Niqab.

They proudly wear the hijab.

First learn the difference.

I don’t think Muslim countries even agree on what modest clothing is.the variation is great from turkey to Afghanistan . Being modest is very subjective even in Muslim majority countries
No. There is a clear definition of what modest dressing is in Islam. This rule applies to both men and women that is to cover parts of the body can can sexually arouse people.

Apparently the definition is not followed exactly in the 55 Muslim countries. It varies

ahh, aren't you cheeky, attempting to mix culture with religion to suit your narrative, you know darn well most Muslim countries do not agree and it varies from country to country and you knew what Islam says about modest clothings?

Great decision. Schools shouldnt be the place of such customs, and once you eradicate these stupid customs and traditions from school, only than you can progress.

dont expect those people to understand that live overseas in their own community ghettos and not interact with the rest of the country..
Amreeka and Canada is full of such customs and thriving :)

ahh, aren't you cheeky, attempting to mix culture with religion to suit your narrative, you know darn well most Muslim countries do not agree and it varies from country to country and you knew what Islam says about modest clothings?
So you might have answered your own question. Culture supersedes culture? Also I think if you get 10 Muslim scholars from 10 different countries in a room. I bet they will not agree what Islam says is modest

Well if girls are allowed to cover their faces in schools then how do teachers or school management identify them?

I support this rule to be honest.

Niqab is NOT the same as Hijab.
Thanks for this clarification. Somehow in my mind I thought of this as Hijab. If it is a Niqab I can understand the need to ban this for security purposes.

I'm still super leery of governments meddling with people's personal dress code choices in general.

So you might have answered your own question. Culture supersedes culture? Also I think if you get 10 Muslim scholars from 10 different countries in a room. I bet they will not agree what Islam says is modest
Sorry culture supersedes religion

Thanks for this clarification. Somehow in my mind I thought of this as Hijab. If it is a Niqab I can understand the need to ban this for security purposes.

I'm still super leery of governments meddling with people's personal dress code choices in general.
Agreed. I am not comfortable with government telling people what they can or cannot wear

Good to see Arab countries adopting progressive policies towards Islam. There is no compulsion in religion. Even Islam says that.

Well if girls are allowed to cover their faces in schools then how do teachers or school management identify them?

I support this rule to be honest.

Presummably the same way they managed for the past few centuries? In any case, I doubt this is a security issue, just a realisation that there is no need for niqab in a school classroom.

Presummably the same way they managed for the past few centuries? In any case, I doubt this is a security issue, just a realisation that there is no need for niqab in a school classroom.
Things have changed a lot in the past few centuries. If we take off our muslim hat for a second, this is a serious security issue.

Is there a need for Hijab in classroom ?

Not in my view, but then I don't think there's a need for kids to wear turbans in the UK either. Not my place to impose unnecessary dress restrictions one way or the other.

Things have changed a lot in the past few centuries. If we take off our muslim hat for a second, this is a serious security issue.
In a classroom? What's the thinking behind that? I can only assume that we have had instances in Egypt where someone has tried to sneak into a school with some form of weapon for the concern to have been raised. If it is actually a security issue.

Amreeka and Canada is full of such customs and thriving :)
and i have seen in canada how girls go to public places and go straight to the washroom and take off that hijab/niqab that they were forced to wear. They would only wear it back when it was time to go home.

Not in my view, but then I don't think there's a need for kids to wear turbans in the UK either. Not my place to impose unnecessary dress restrictions one way or the other.
trust me, turbans need to be worn. Or else seeing a guy with unkept and untidy hair is very off putting.

It's not entrenched in Islam, only the prophet's wives. Appears some people equate themselves to Him SAW

trust me, turbans need to be worn. Or else seeing a guy with unkept and untidy hair is very off putting.
That is just an unnecessarily racist remark. Long untidy hair is actually quite fashionable these days in Europe.

and i have seen in canada how girls go to public places and go straight to the washroom and take off that hijab/niqab that they were forced to wear. They would only wear it back when it was time to go home.
I have seen, too.

I’ve also met atheist becoming Muslim and a Muslim becoming an atheist.

I’ve also seen a wife is forced to chose between hijab and divorce, she chose hijab.

And guess what government gave that choice to individuals.

So if you’ve lived in Canada then it seems you’ve wasted your time here.

I have seen, too.

I’ve also met atheist becoming Muslim and a Muslim becoming an atheist.

I’ve also seen a wife is forced to chose between hijab and divorce, she chose hijab.

And guess what government gave that choice to individuals.

So if you’ve lived in Canada then it seems you’ve wasted your time here.
Do you not see the contradiction in your own post?

Anyways, thank God in my school I didn't see any anyone wearing a niqab to school

Do you not see the contradiction in your own post?

Anyways, thank God in my school I didn't see any anyone wearing a niqab to school
I don’t agree with niqab, your face is your identity and that can’t be hidden.

Contradiction? Highlighting that government does not impose clothes restriction in NA based on religion, culture, family and individual do.

Back