Ehteshamuddin: Most unfit cricketer ever?

pakmania

First Class Star
Runs
Ehteshamuddin

Even at his peak, Pakistani seamer Ehteshamuddin was what could be politely described as portly. In 1982 he was whiling away his time in the Birmingham League when he received an SOS from the injury-ravaged Pakistan side on the eve of the final Test of the summer at Edgbaston. He answered the call, but it has to be assumed that either the selectors had not seen him for some time, or they were utterly desperate. Even the politest observer reacted with surprise when they saw quite how large he was, and few were surprised when, "palpably unfit when they recruited him, he pulled a hamstring" and hobbled out of the match (The Times) with one wicket to show for his efforts.

Apparently,he also weighed 21 stones when he turned up at Edgbaston

Ranatunga , Ian Austin also come to mind.

austin2003.JPG

and who could forger Bermuda's Dwayne Leverock from the 2007 World Cup

Dwayne-Leverock-ge_1359896i.jpg

Last edited:
pakmania said:
Ehteshamuddin

Even at his peak, Pakistani seamer Ehteshamuddin was what could be politely described as portly. In 1982 he was whiling away his time in the Birmingham League when he received an SOS from the injury-ravaged Pakistan side on the eve of the final Test of the summer at Edgbaston. He answered the call, but it has to be assumed that either the selectors had not seen him for some time, or they were utterly desperate. Even the politest observer reacted with surprise when they saw quite how large he was, and few were surprised when, "palpably unfit when they recruited him, he pulled a hamstring" and hobbled out of the match (The Times) with one wicket to show for his efforts.

He bowled a decent spell, if memory serves right

pakmania said:
Ehteshamuddin

Still got the Indian batsmen out on docile Indian tracks; :))

http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63250.html
http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63252.html

MIG said:
He bowled a decent spell, if memory serves right

He made the initial breakthrough in England's first innings, didn't last much longer on the field after that though!

Came out to bat with a runner in the second innings, came in after Sikander had been given out to one of the most disgraceful decisions in the history of the game.

btw inzi and ehteshamuddin(the then selector) had quite a falling out a few years ago,shame what happened to ehtes,he played well before 1982 but after that he piled on the pounds

Khalil said:
I Just found this little blog thing:
"Jesse Ryder (NZ):..................................................I was stunned by this one for the longest time. This trend of acknowledging overweight cricketers has really got to go. This isn't Sumo Wrestling. His face alone looks like the bottom of a barrel. OBESE CRICKETERS SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO PLAY! I thought we established that when the US wanted to come into international cricket"

OWNED :)) But still harsh methinks :13:

Source: http://cricketminded.blogspot.com/2009/09/icc-awards-2009-emerging-player-of-year.html

pakmania said:
Ehteshamuddin

first of all he was nowhere near 21 stone

but yes he was a bit portly

and he managed to knock englands opener grahame fowler over

secondly, not sure whereyou have got edgbaston from - i'm pretty sure ehtesham played at headingley

Last edited:
this is wikipedia we are talking about,not trustworthy

he was 21 stone at the peak of his weight problems but soon went on a detox diet

JeeraBlade said:

Docile? Do you really pull out such stuff out of thin air?

Kanpur
[] ... However, a decisive result had seemed more than probable when a green pitch claimed fifteen wickets on the first two days. The pitch, even by English standards, was very grassy and green; ...[]
http://www.cricinfo.com/wisdenalmanack/content/story/153864.html

Calcutta
[] ... as the pitch did not look too well prepared. It was slow, with an uneven bounce, and ther was an area at one end from which the ball tended to lift abruptly. ...[]

http://www.cricinfo.com/wisdenalmanack/content/story/153872.html

TAK said:
first of all he was nowhere near 21 stone

but yes he was a bit portly

and he managed to knock englands opener grahame fowler over

secondly, not sure whereyou have got edgbaston from - i'm pretty sure ehtesham played at headingley

It was Headingley. And he came from the Bolton League, not Birmingham.

He bowled a brilliant swinging delivery to Fowler, and it knocked his stump out. He then got tired and eventually out injured.

He bowled about 70mph - about Mudassar speed. It shows what a shitty squad we had in those days. Our pace options were Imran, Mudassar, Tahir Naqquash, Sikander Bakht and Ehteshamuddin. Even Sami would have walked into that team. :))

He weighed about 16 stones, which is very large for a 5'9" bowler. Definitely had seen better days.

Looking at his stats especially his first class record they are mightily impressive yet he only played 5 tests (again has a good overall record in the few tests he played)

http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/content/player/40067.html

I remember the Headingley test of 82 vividly and yes he was fat and unfit. Also remember him ducking under what he thought was a bouncer and getting bowled by Botham.

He would have been nearly 32 at the time so his best years were behind him. He wasn't in the original tour party so suspect he let himself go and tucked into the Bolton pies.

Anyone know why he didn't play more earlier in his career. Ok Imran and Sarfraz were a good partnership but he may have been a good 3rd seamer to back them up.

we didnt have the best of squads back then tbh,we experimented with the 3rd seamer so much and there was not much ppl stoodout,ehetes did have potential but we all know the workings of pcb and their lack of talent spotting abilities,so many talents have been gone down the drain

our golden era was not really most of the 70s,probably late 70s and early 90s,in the 80s there were a lot of politics but some high spots

Last edited:
Most Unfit Cricketer Ever

His name is Ehteshamuddin and he is Pakistani of course

He was 21 stones and apparently a PCB official fainted when seeing him to his horror

http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/276037.html

Last edited:
pakmania said:
His name is Ehteshamuddin and he is Pakistani of course

He was 21 stones and apparently a PCB official fainted when seeing him to his horror

http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/276037.html

Please can you post a photo of him

Theres no picture of Ehteshamuddin on the web,this was 1970s we are talking about

He bowled about 70mph - about Mudassar speed. It shows what a poor squad we had in those days. Our pace options were Imran, Mudassar, Tahir Naqquash, Sikander Bakht and Ehteshamuddin. Even Sami would have walked into that team. :))

What is with you and Ehteshamuddin. This must be your third thread on him and you post the samething

12thMan said:
What is with you and Ehteshamuddin. This must be your third thread on him and you post the samething

He's a cult hero imo :) :inzi

Dont diss the gangster !

Inti in his playing days was overweight as well. The 'bulge' was visible through his shirt!

I think Naumanullah deserves to be mentioned amongst the list of prominent athletes in this thread.

Saj said:
I think Naumanullah deserves to be mentioned amongst the list of prominent athletes in this thread.

Saj,about Ehteshamuddin,he used to be a selector when Inzi was skipper and played in the 70s with Imran Khan and Sarfraz Nawaz,an interview would make for good reading,no ?

pakmania said:
Saj,about Ehteshamuddin,he used to be a selector when Inzi was skipper and played in the 70s with Imran Khan and Sarfraz Nawaz,an interview would make for good reading,no ?
Pakmania, I remember him turning up as a late replacement in a test match in England. When I saw him on tv, I nearly fell off my seat !

What is he doing these days, is he coaching ?

Retired Selector Lol,had a row with Inzi and Woolmer after the Asia Cup 2004 over timing of a probables list or something before that Videocon tri-series with India and Australia and havent really seen much of him now,coincidently,my dad actually knows a friend who was Ehteshamuddin's old school classmate,apparently he was quite the rowdy one !

Last edited:
Saj said:

Qaiser Abbas and Asad Shafiq looked quite "healthy" as well.

Riaz Afridi is over weight too saw him playing in KCL recently

Former Pakistan Test cricketer Ehteshamuddin - who is unable to walk since last year - has criticised PCB and chairman Ramiz Raja for not increasing his pension.

Ehteshamuddin represented Pakistan in five Test matches from 1979 to 1982. Speaking to Express, Ehteshamuddin said that there is too much inflation.

"It has been a long while but the last time they [PCB] increased my pension by 20% but it is not enough to combat the rise in inflation which is going up day by day," he said.

The former Test cricketer said that there has been no contact between the cricketing board and the former players who have voiced their concerns regarding the pension.

"We tried contacting Ramiz Raja a lot but there was no development on that front. Former players like Zakir Khan along with others are also unable to reach him," he said.

The former Test cricketer currently lives alone with his caretaker as his wife passed away. His only daughter, a national swimmer Aisha Khan, relocated to England following her marriage.

Despite the problem, Ehteshamuddin said he is still grateful for paying his medical bills.

"Although I am grateful for the PCB for paying my medical bills, if the pension would increase then things would be much better for us," he appealed.

Having played alongside the legendary Imran Khan, Ehteshamuddin lost the ability to walk after having an epileptic seizure and since then he has been resigned to the bed.

https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/news/detail/former-test-cricketer-criticises-pcb-for-low-pension

Former Pakistan Test cricketer Ehteshamuddin - who is unable to walk since last year - has criticised PCB and chairman Ramiz Raja for not increasing his pension.

Ehteshamuddin represented Pakistan in five Test matches from 1979 to 1982. Speaking to Express, Ehteshamuddin said that there is too much inflation.

"It has been a long while but the last time they [PCB] increased my pension by 20% but it is not enough to combat the rise in inflation which is going up day by day," he said.

The former Test cricketer said that there has been no contact between the cricketing board and the former players who have voiced their concerns regarding the pension.

"We tried contacting Ramiz Raja a lot but there was no development on that front. Former players like Zakir Khan along with others are also unable to reach him," he said.

The former Test cricketer currently lives alone with his caretaker as his wife passed away. His only daughter, a national swimmer Aisha Khan, relocated to England following her marriage.

Despite the problem, Ehteshamuddin said he is still grateful for paying his medical bills.

"Although I am grateful for the PCB for paying my medical bills, if the pension would increase then things would be much better for us," he appealed.

Having played alongside the legendary Imran Khan, Ehteshamuddin lost the ability to walk after having an epileptic seizure and since then he has been resigned to the bed.

https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/news/detail/former-test-cricketer-criticises-pcb-for-low-pension

Why doesn't his daughter take care of his medical bills, why is there such a dependency on pension from PCB.

All the cricketer needs to be taught about PERSONAL FINANCE, while the most basic fundamental to personal finance is to save atleast 10 to 15 percentage of your monthly earnings for your retirement, which shouldn't be touched what may come, and then use the accumulated capital only post retirement/when every form of earning ends.

- India has NPS (National Pension Scheme) where one voluntarily contributes to NPS account and which can only be used/withdrawn at the age of 58+, or in case of medical emergencies.

-United States has 401k, probably NPS has taken its inspiration from this.

Does Pakistan has any pension specific options which these cricketers can use?

Ehteshamuddin

It was Headingley not Edgbaston. Edgbaston was the first test of that legendary series

Why doesn't his daughter take care of his medical bills, why is there such a dependency on pension from PCB.

All the cricketer needs to be taught about PERSONAL FINANCE, while the most basic fundamental to personal finance is to save atleast 10 to 15 percentage of your monthly earnings for your retirement, which shouldn't be touched what may come, and then use the accumulated capital only post retirement/when every form of earning ends.

- India has NPS (National Pension Scheme) where one voluntarily contributes to NPS account and which can only be used/withdrawn at the age of 58+, or in case of medical emergencies.

-United States has 401k, probably NPS has taken its inspiration from this.

Does Pakistan has any pension specific options which these cricketers can use?

No we don't have pension programs. Only govt employees get pension from the govt.

Pakistan cricketers are govr employees

No we don't have pension programs. Only govt employees get pension from the govt.

I should clarify, not sure of this is the right thread though.

In india, anyone be it government employee, MNC employee or a self employed businessman can enroll in NPS (National Pension Scheme) and voluntarily put in his/her money monthly in NPS, post retirement 60% of the accumulated capital is handed over to the individual upon choice, 40% is invested in buying annuity payments.

In this way the government doesn't have to pay anyone a single rupee, yet the individual ends up having something for himself post retirement, although annuity rates are low yet it is better than having nothing.

Yesterday after Posting I searched for pension scheme in Pakistan, I came across VPS
source:- https://jamapunji.pk/knowledge-center/how-invest-pension-fund

I don't know any other details about it, but chances are it would work on 401k and NPS. Every cricketer/sports person should invest 10 to 20% in these pension schemes to have a buffer after retirement.

PCB needs to educate their players about pension from as early as u19 days, in this way players won't lurk around the National team after they are past their prime and will have some peace of mind.

I should clarify, not sure of this is the right thread though.

In india, anyone be it government employee, MNC employee or a self employed businessman can enroll in NPS (National Pension Scheme) and voluntarily put in his/her money monthly in NPS, post retirement 60% of the accumulated capital is handed over to the individual upon choice, 40% is invested in buying annuity payments.

In this way the government doesn't have to pay anyone a single rupee, yet the individual ends up having something for himself post retirement, although annuity rates are low yet it is better than having nothing.

Yesterday after Posting I searched for pension scheme in Pakistan, I came across VPS
source:- https://jamapunji.pk/knowledge-center/how-invest-pension-fund

I don't know any other details about it, but chances are it would work on 401k and NPS. Every cricketer/sports person should invest 10 to 20% in these pension schemes to have a buffer after retirement.

PCB needs to educate their players about pension from as early as u19 days, in this way players won't lurk around the National team after they are past their prime and will have some peace of mind.

Even [MENTION=135038]Major[/MENTION] you should plan your retirement and find more about VPS.

Back