Embarking on a cricketing career - Is it worth it?

Suleiman

Test Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
I am at a crossroads right now. Am in the US. 21 years old. Play league cricket, and am now gonna play cricket in university as well iA and aim to help my team qualify for regionals and then nationals. Ofc, level of cricket in US is nothing compared to UK, Australia, or even Pakistan domestics. If anything I'm probably below the level of UAE team's part timers as well. But I really want to see how far I can go. Cricket and acting/theater are my 2 (pak)passions and I want to try my hand at the former while I am still relatively young. I say relatively because there are 21 year olds out there who are in a far above different league looking to break into national team while bullying their domestic circuit, while I can only dream rn of bullying a top 8 team's domestic circuit.

I was thinking about finishing my degree then going tO UK, and then playing some grade or club cricket, and then don't know how I'll break into the county teams, because that is a HUGE challenge in on itself. I will be around 23 after completing my degree iA.

Even county cricket is a dream for me right now let alone the national team. Is it doable? As much as I criticise him, can I pull a Misbah? Or a Tahir?

I want to be realistic and help plan this. My mom wants me to follow my dreams, my dad wants me to do my masters and will laugh his hell off if I tell him this or if he has an account on here (hi dad).

Money is also a huge thing. Do grade cricketers make money in UK? I'm willing to sacrifice and go 150% right now than have regrets later in life.

I am at a crossroads right now. Am in the US. 21 years old. Play league cricket, and am now gonna play cricket in university as well iA and aim to help my team qualify for regionals and then nationals. Ofc, level of cricket in US is nothing compared to UK, Australia, or even Pakistan domestics. If anything I'm probably below the level of UAE team's part timers as well. But I really want to see how far I can go. Cricket and acting/theater are my 2 (pak)passions and I want to try my hand at the former while I am still relatively young. I say relatively because there are 21 year olds out there who are in a far above different league looking to break into national team while bullying their domestic circuit, while I can only dream rn of bullying a top 8 team's domestic circuit.

I was thinking about finishing my degree then going tO UK, and then playing some grade or club cricket, and then don't know how I'll break into the county teams, because that is a HUGE challenge in on itself. I will be around 23 after completing my degree iA.

Even county cricket is a dream for me right now let alone the national team. Is it doable? As much as I criticise him, can I pull a Misbah? Or a Tahir?

I want to be realistic and help plan this. My mom wants me to follow my dreams, my dad wants me to do my masters and will laugh his hell off if I tell him this or if he has an account on here (hi dad).

Money is also a huge thing. Do grade cricketers make money in UK? I'm willing to sacrifice and go 150% right now than have regrets later in life.

How good of a cricketer you are?

an honest assessment ...

How good of a cricketer you are?

an honest assessment ...

at 21 i doubt theres much room for magical improvements

if he is US based he is well behind the 8-ball in terms of development and lets be honest you really cant judge how good he maybe even if he is bullying the competition right now.

Also league cricket in UK etc isnt all that simple either as a non-UK citizen

No. Sorry. You're past that age. I've played club cricket, regional cricket, district level cricket, provincial level cricket all my life. I even made it to the Pakistan Under 17 squad and I can assure you that there's guys who have been playing since the age of 5. I have friends who left their homes in Northern Pakistan just to play cricket as young 12 year olds. You can't do it anymore. Sorry. I suggest you do something else because you'll be wasting your time.

Sorry man, I feel bad saying this to you but it's the reality. You'll be wasting your time, your money, your parents money and just a lot of your mental strength because you'll end up disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is your forte in cricket? There isn't much money in cricket unless you have the talent to get to International cricket and stay there with a central contract, otherwise you will become what KP once termed... muppet cricketers living on pittance from county cricket.

Wow, soon we will have a famous actor and an international cricketer from PP. All the best, and prove the haters wrong.

Why money is in equation...if you like playing that should be the sole criteria.
Ask dad to do some investment on your behalf so you make money from different source.

You're quiet young and have the chance to make a county team in England but it would take a lot of hard work and sacrifice, you'd probably be around 27-30 if you manage to get in. If it's something you really want to pursue no one can stop you but do not give up your education. P.S you won't make anything playing club cricket in England and will need another job on the side, problem is though a lot of these county teams scout talent from their development system which extends to their U19 / U17 county teams etc there are instances where you can manage to get a trial through networking and connections though. [MENTION=139981]HitWicket[/MENTION] What do you think ?

It's tough Suleiman but not impossible to make a county team but you'd have to be seriously good, work extremely hard and sacrifice a lot.

No. Sorry. You're past that age. I've played club cricket, regional cricket, district level cricket, provincial level cricket all my life. I even made it to the Pakistan Under 17 squad and I can assure you that there's guys who have been playing since the age of 5. I have friends who left their homes in Northern Pakistan just to play cricket as young 12 year olds. You can't do it anymore. Sorry. I suggest you do something else because you'll be wasting your time.

It is tough, am a leggie who once made the squad of an FC University team but was dropped because of my fitness and inability to bat :yk it was never my intention to play pro cricket though. The talent which I was competing against was incredible , I was lucky that I had one of those days where everything was so perfect as far as my bowling was concerned and was making a lot of the batsman look like dungar during my trial

It is tough, am a leggie who once made the squad of an FC University team but was dropped because of my fitness and inability to bat :yk it was never my intention to play pro cricket though. The talent which I was competing against was incredible , I was lucky that I had one of those days where everything was so perfect as far as my bowling was concerned and was making a lot of the batsman look like dungar during my trial

Honestly, rare guns like you could have gone forward. A 6 foot 4 leggie with Indo-Caribbean roots is a gem..

Honestly, rare guns like you could have gone forward. A 6 foot 4 leggie with Indo-Caribbean roots is a gem..

I liken myself to Badree stylistically :afridi Nah, doubt I would have made it that far unless I had dedicated myself to the art from a young age, there is just so much competition it's very fierce but in England there's a big lack of depth when it comes to spinners so maybe that could have improved my chances

I liken myself to Badree stylistically :afridi Nah, doubt I would have made it that far unless I had dedicated myself to the art from a young age, there is just so much competition it's very fierce but in England there's a big lack of depth when it comes to spinners so maybe that could have improved my chances

Exactly :facepalm: what the hell man, especially considering you got into a Uni FC side...

Exactly :facepalm: what the hell man, especially considering you got into a Uni FC side...

I never played any games for them just made their squad :yk but that was a big achievement for me in itself although it was no real big deal, I got to play in the bucs league though and that was an amazing experience

Thanks for the reply, that really put things in perspective. Yeah seems like I've missed the train at 21.

Think best thing to do then would be to just keep playing league and uni level till I graduate and try to improve (as much as I possibly can at this stage) and if I still feel strongly about this will cross that bridge when I get there. But def doesn't seem like something to sacrifice education for.

You're quiet young and have the chance to make a county team in England but it would take a lot of hard work and sacrifice, you'd probably be around 27-30 if you manage to get in. If it's something you really want to pursue no one can stop you but do not give up your education. P.S you won't make anything playing club cricket in England and will need another job on the side, problem is though a lot of these county teams scout talent from their development system which extends to their U19 / U17 county teams etc there are instances where you can manage to get a trial through networking and connections though. [MENTION=139981]HitWicket[/MENTION] What do you think ?

It's tough Suleiman but not impossible to make a county team but you'd have to be seriously good, work extremely hard and sacrifice a lot.

Yeah it will just be a long road of hard work from here on out. It's easy to say I want to become x, y, or z but it would require me to put a lot in and even then might not desired result. Looks like best thing is to just focus on education now but I'll keep playing and see whereby stand in a year or 2.

Thanks for the reply, that really put things in perspective. Yeah seems like I've missed the train at 21.

Think best thing to do then would be to just keep playing league and uni level till I graduate and try to improve (as much as I possibly can at this stage) and if I still feel strongly about this will cross that bridge when I get there. But def doesn't seem like something to sacrifice education for.

Exactly man. I hope you read my second post on the thread. I don't mean to sound rude and you know that. I just think taking such a huge risk, the costs and everything else isn't worth it. And truat me, even if you do make it into the international team, it's still a pretty big gamble because you don't know if you're going to have a good time post retirement.

Exactly man. I hope you read my second post on the thread. I don't mean to sound rude and you know that. I just think taking such a huge risk, the costs and everything else isn't worth it. And truat me, even if you do make it into the international team, it's still a pretty big gamble because you don't know if you're going to have a good time post retirement.

Nah man it's all good, I wouldn't have posted this thread if I couldn't handle the truth, it definitely is a risk. Would've been a risk if I tried to pursue it few years earlier, it still is.

I'll be honest, I'm not good at sports outside of cricket. I'm terrible at football, basket ball, and cricket is the one sport I find success in, and that too isn't because of any natural talent, I just try to work on my game.

First ask yourself why you want to embark on a cricket career? Money and fame? Those are not good reasons. Especially at your age with your background. Passion for the game? If you're doing it for the passion and love of the game you can still pursue it as a hobby

Remember, life is short and not everything should be stressful endeavor. Having a hobby like cricket that you pursue with passion can be very enjoyable. You could do well at University level and then play in a domestic U.S team and enjoy your game.

Enjoy the game, improve on yourself but forget about dreams like "international star". Oh and if you do turn 24 and turn out to be some ridiculous talent then international teams will be interested in you.

I say, don't leave your education, and just practice. Keep playing for your university, but still look to improve your game. If you're good, you never know what opportunities can come your way. You never know, one moment can change your life.

Keep at it, but don't ditch your education!

I wonder how many of those "under 17s" were actually 21 in Pakistan lol

First ask yourself why you want to embark on a cricket career? Money and fame? Those are not good reasons. Especially at your age with your background. Passion for the game? If you're doing it for the passion and love of the game you can still pursue it as a hobby

Remember, life is short and not everything should be stressful endeavor. Having a hobby like cricket that you pursue with passion can be very enjoyable. You could do well at University level and then play in a domestic U.S team and enjoy your game.

Enjoy the game, improve on yourself but forget about dreams like "international star". Oh and if you do turn 24 and turn out to be some ridiculous talent then international teams will be interested in you.

That's sound advice. I wanted to purse cricket for the passion as I'm genuinely passionate about the game, but yeah it seems like best thing to do is to shelve the whole big dream for now and just take it as a hobby and still try to improve.

Like with most decisions in life, you'll most likely regret it whether you decide to go through with this or not. If you do go for it, the odds are heavily against you, and you'll regret not having heeded the advice of pursuing a more conservative career path. And if you don't follow this dream of yours, you'll live life wondering what could've been.

You're welcome.

I wonder how many of those "under 17s" were actually 21 in Pakistan lol

Exactly man. From a cricketing perspective within Pakistan, I had the poor luck of being born in an educated family. Actually, even people from super educated families in Pakistan forge their ages because apparently it helps when you're looking for immigration, when you fail an exam and when you're looking for a job. Not my parents though, it was against their morals and ethics.

I once asked my mother why they didn't do the same for me and she said that if we were to begin our child's life with a lie and then ask him to be pious in the future, we would be hypocrites.

Anyway, the disadvantage of being actually 16 hurt me badly. I never made it to the final XI because most of my teammates were actually over 21, no kidding.

Nah man it's all good, I wouldn't have posted this thread if I couldn't handle the truth, it definitely is a risk. Would've been a risk if I tried to pursue it few years earlier, it still is.

I'll be honest, I'm not good at sports outside of cricket. I'm terrible at football, basket ball, and cricket is the one sport I find success in, and that too isn't because of any natural talent, I just try to work on my game.

Continue playing it as a hobby. Everything doesn't have to be a career, you get me?

In India if u choose cricket as a career option, then u dont have to worry about money, u will get more money than what u can get from a govt. Job... Even if u play only domestic and no international or ipl.
But except in Jammu and Kashmir and Bihar where u wont even get match fees.

Last edited:
If your goal is to play International Cricket then your best bet is playing for the US or some associate nation. Don't even try for Canada, you won't make their team. If your goal is to serve Pakistan Cricket then you should either become a journalist because the ones we have are literally TRASH. Or you could work in the PCB or for PSL..and try to bring about a positive change from within those organizations.

County cricket is not happening for you in the next 4 years and representing Pakistan is out of the question. Take the path of least resistance in life.

Nothing is impossible, if it makes you happy and you think you can achieve it then embark on it. But, at the same time Make sure you finish your education.

You never know what will happen if you work hard in anything. Good luck :)

All i can say is do follow your passion because these times won't went back and please don't give a damn to peoples opinion around you,just like what you do and do what you like success and failure is secondary,at the end of the day something is better than nothing

If you drop your passion and do something out of your taste then you can regret over that after 10-15 years.

All the best

You can rep the American national team lol, that's your best shot. I don't think it'd be too difficult if you're half as good as any first class player in Pakistan.

If your goal is to play International Cricket then your best bet is playing for the US or some associate nation. Don't even try for Canada, you won't make their team. If your goal is to serve Pakistan Cricket then you should either become a journalist because the ones we have are literally TRASH. Or you could work in the PCB or for PSL..and try to bring about a positive change from within those organizations.

County cricket is not happening for you in the next 4 years and representing Pakistan is out of the question. Take the path of least resistance in life.

I hope Pakistan is an associate nation in few years in cricket [MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION] [MENTION=138463]Slog[/MENTION] at least I will have a shot then.

Astaghfirullah, that's selfish. :moyo

I jest. It just reminded of a convo between slog and mmhs where they were claiming the other guy said Pakistan would be a minnow by 2019 yet we won CT 17 :)))

I jest. It just reminded of a convo between slog and mmhs where they were claiming the other guy said Pakistan would be a minnow by 2019 yet we won CT 17 :)))

Pakistan is Pakistan. You can never rule out any possibility with us... :stokes

it was [MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION] who mentioned Pakistan would be competing with Uganda in a few years lol

it was [MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION] who mentioned Pakistan would be competing with Uganda in a few years lol

The was a little disclaimer as well though, for which I think enough explanation is given.

What was the disclaimer :yk I didn't read that post lol

He said something along the lines of IF we continue to persist with has been seniors and nothing changes then we will be playing with Nepal and Papua New Guinea to qualify for WC'19.

Which had some truth to it, but thankfully we brought in fresh blood and took the wake-up call seriously.

Back