England tour of West Indies (2023)

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
England Men's selection panel has named the squads for next month’s ODI and IT20 series away to West Indies.

England Squads

ODI squad:
Jos Buttler (captain), Rehan Ahmed, Gus Atkinson, Harry Brook, Brydon Carse, Zak Crawley, Sam Curran, Ben Duckett, Tom Hartley, Will Jacks, Liam Livingstone, Ollie Pope, Phil Salt, Josh Tongue, John Turner

T20 Squad: Jos Buttler (captain), Rehan Ahmed, Moeen Ali, Gus Atkinson, Harry Brook, Sam Curran, Ben Duckett, Will Jacks, Liam Livingstone, Tymal Mills, Adil Rashid, Phil Salt, Josh Tongue, Reece Topley, John Turner, Chris Woakes

England Men’s Tour of the West Indies

1st ODI: 3 December, Sir Vivian Richards Stadium, Antigua
2nd ODI: 6 December, Sir Vivian Richards Stadium, Antigua
3rd ODI: 9 December, Kensington Oval, Barbados

1st T20I: 12 December, Kensington Oval, Barbados
2nd T20I: 14 December, Grenada National Stadium, Grenada
3rd T20I: 16 December, Grenada National Stadium, Grenada
4th T20I: 19 December, Brian Lara Cricket Academy, Trinidad
5th T20I: 21 December, Brian Lara Cricket Academy, Trinidad

ECB​

Last edited:
England name squads for white-ball rebuild tour of Caribbean

Looking to bounce back after their disappointing Cricket World Cup 2023 campaign, England have named new-look playing groups for their white-ball tour of the West Indies in December.

Playing three ODIs and five T20Is from 3-21 December, the series provides Jos Buttler's side with an opportunity to form new long-term plans in the 50-over game, while looking ahead to ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2024 next June to held in the West Indies and USA.

Buttler leads both squads, with just five other players from the Cricket World Cup group in India backing up to play the ODI series in the Caribbean.

Gus Atkinson, Harry Brook, Brydon Carse, Sam Curran and Liam Livingstone join the white-ball skipper, with the opening two 50-over matches to be played in Antigua.

Barbados hosts the last ODI and the first T20I, before Grenada and Trinidad host two T20Is each.

After a breakout home summer in the Test format, Josh Tongue has been included in both T20I and ODI squads, as well as fellow seamer John Turner. The 22-year-old has impressed for Hampshire on the domestic scene, as well as with the Trent Rockets in The Hundred.

Having missed out on qualification to feature at the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup 2023, the series will mark West Indies' return to international cricket, having last played when India toured in August. The side lost the three-match ODI series 2-1, though claimed a 3-2 T20I series win.

Last edited:
Cricket West Indies (CWI) Senior Men’s Selection Panel today named the 15-member squad for the upcoming CG United One-Day International (ODI) Series against England starting on 3 December. Shai Hope will again lead the team with Alzarri Joseph named as the new vice captain.

There are two uncapped players in the squad: batting allrounder Sherfane Rutherford and seam bowling allrounder Matthew Forde – who has earned his first call-up at the senior international level. The Selection Panel also recalled experienced wicket-keeper/batsman Shane Dowrich, who played his only ODI in May, 2019; and opener Kjorn Ottley, who played two ODIs in January, 2021.

Lead Selector the Most Honorable Dr. Desmond Haynes said: “We named Alzarri Joseph as vice captain as he demonstrated maturity and good leadership qualities for the Leeward Islands Hurricanes during the recent CG United Super50 Cup. We believe with exposure and opportunities he could be a future leader in West Indies cricket. Matthew Forde is a whole-hearted cricketer who has been impressive. He is one of the players coming through the West Indies Academy programme who can form part of the future.”

Haynes added: “England on tour of the West Indies is always filled with excitement and expectation. We expect this to be a hard-fought series, but we also believe this squad will do well in our home conditions. We have a clear vision. We are focused on building a solid team. Our main focus is to re-build for success at the ICC Cricket World Cup 2027.”

The CG United ODI Series will feature three matches. The tour will start with two CG United ODIs at the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in Antigua on Sunday 3 December and Wednesday 6 December. The first CG United ODI is a day game starting at 9:30am with the second CG United ODI is a day/night game starting at 1:30pm.

The tour then moves to Barbados for the third and final CG United ODI to be played at Kensington Oval, on Saturday 9 December. This will also be a day/night game starting at 1:30pm.

Ahead of the first match West Indies squad will assemble for a preparation camp in Antigua, from Monday 20 November. Head Coach Daren Sammy indicated that the camp is a crucial component to the team’s preparations to face the visitors. The camp will be at the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium and Coolidge Cricket Ground with net and planning sessions as well as fitness and strength and conditioning sessions.

“Everyone is fully aware of what is required as we prepare to face England on our home soil. The camp will be detailed and based on specifics which we have identified will be required if we are to be successful at the international level. We will have high-intensity, purposeful training sessions and everything that we do will be geared towards improving and winning,” Sammy said.

“I believe in preparation. I believe when you prepare well you give yourself the best chance of winning. When you do the hard work, the right kind of work, when you finetune your skills, that will add value to your game.”

FULL SQUAD

Shai Hope (captain)

Alzarri Joseph (vice captain)

Alick Athanaze

Yannic Cariah

Keacy Carty

Roston Chase

Shane Dowrich

Matthew Forde

Shimron Hetmyer

Brandon King

Gudakesh Motie

Kjorn Ottley

Sherfane Rutherford

Romario Shepherd

Oshane Thomas

Desmond Haynes was a great player in his day but as a selector he leaves much to be desired. Being WI Chief Selector is a thankless job given the scarcity of talent but there's some odd choices in that squad.

Kjorn Ottley is 33 years old. In the recent domestic 50 over tournament, his SR was 75. In this era of 350+ totals how does that make sense ?

Roston Chase - my god when will the obsession with this mediocre cricketer end ? He's done nothing with umpteen chances. His Super50 bowling numbers were impressive only because WI batsmen cannot play spin.

Yannic Cariah - another 30 something who hasn't lit the international circuit on fire.

Keacy Carty - again if Super50's the criteria - Carty averaged 18 at SR of 54. How the hell did he get picked ahead of Teddy Bishop who averaged 60 at SR 99 in the same competition ?

Shimron Hetmyer - this should be his last chance. He's flopped since his return (after incredibly, for reasons still unknown, declining to board the flight to Australia for the T20 WC last year) and flopped in the Super50.

Good to see Sherfane Rutherford there, he had an excellent Super50 and his arrival into ODI cricket has been long awaited.

Desmond Haynes was a great player in his day but as a selector he leaves much to be desired. Being WI Chief Selector is a thankless job given the scarcity of talent but there's some odd choices in that squad.

Kjorn Ottley is 33 years old. In the recent domestic 50 over tournament, his SR was 75. In this era of 350+ totals how does that make sense ?

Roston Chase - my god when will the obsession with this mediocre cricketer end ? He's done nothing with umpteen chances. His Super50 bowling numbers were impressive only because WI batsmen cannot play spin.

Yannic Cariah - another 30 something who hasn't lit the international circuit on fire.

Keacy Carty - again if Super50's the criteria - Carty averaged 18 at SR of 54. How the hell did he get picked ahead of Teddy Bishop who averaged 60 at SR 99 in the same competition ?

Shimron Hetmyer - this should be his last chance. He's flopped since his return (after incredibly, for reasons still unknown, declining to board the flight to Australia for the T20 WC last year) and flopped in the Super50.

Good to see Sherfane Rutherford there, he had an excellent Super50 and his arrival into ODI cricket has been long awaited.

What other options do they have? Teddy Bishop over Carty is the only selection they could have made.

Their batting should be alright.

The bowling is awful. It's Alzarri (genuine world class) and then nothing

What other options do they have? Teddy Bishop over Carty is the only selection they could have made.

Their batting should be alright.

The bowling is awful. It's Alzarri (genuine world class) and then nothing
Akeal Hosein should've been selected ahead of either Chase or Cariah.

Matthew Potts has been called into the England Men’s squad for the upcoming ODI series against West Indies in the Caribbean as a replacement for Josh Tongue.

Tongue has been ruled out of the white-ball tour after he suffered an injury during the current England Lions camp in the United Arab Emirates.

Durham paceman Potts played the most recent of his three ODIs against Ireland at Bristol in September.

West Indies 'keeper-bat withdraws from ODI squad, announces international retirement

West Indies' Shane Dowrich has retired from international cricket with immediate effect.

The 32-year-old was named in West Indies squad for England ODIs, which begin from 3 December, but withdrew and stated his intention to retire from the game.

Cricket West Indies have decided not to name a replacement for Dowrich with captain Shai Hope set to take over wicket-keeping duties.

Dowrich, who made his international debut in 2015, played one ODI in 2019, against Bangladesh.

He has been a more regular presence in the Test side, having played 35 matches, scoring 1570 runs at an average of 29.07 with three centuries and nine fifties to his name. He also effected 90 dismissals.

"We want to thank Shane for contribution when he played for West Indies," said Miles Bascombe, CWI's Director of Cricket.

"He is a disciplined, hard-working cricketer who always gave his utmost in front and behind the stumps. He had a memorable series in 2019 when he made an outstanding Test century on home soil in Barbados to help us beat England and win the Wisden Trophy.

"We respect his decision to retire and appreciate it is not an easy one to make. We wish him all the best as he steps away from the international stage."

West Indies will host England for three ODIs and five T20Is from 3 to 21 December.

West Indies ODI squad: Shai Hope (c,wk), Alzarri Joseph (vc), Alick Athanaze, Yannic Cariah, Keacy Carty, Roston Chase, Matthew Forde, Shimron Hetmyer, Brandon King, Gudakesh Motie, Kjorn Ottley, Sherfane Rutherford, Romario Shepherd, Oshane Thomas

Schedule:

3 December: 1st ODI, North Sound, Antigua

6 December: 2nd ODI, North Sound, Antigua

9 December: 3rd ODI, Bridgetown, Barbados

12 December: 1st T20I, Bridgetown, Barbados

14 December: 2nd T20I, St George's, Grenada

16 December: 3rd T20I, St George's, Grenada

19 December: 4th T20I, Tarouba, Trinidad

21 December: 5th T20I, Tarouba, Trinidad

ICC

England captain Jos Buttler thinks this month's white-ball tour of the West Indies is the start of a new era

England start a three-match one-day series in the Caribbean on Sunday, less than a month after exiting the Cricket World Cup in the group stage.

"It's certainly a bit of a new beginning, I think there's some brilliant, exciting talent here in this team," said Buttler.

England start their tour on Sunday at 13:30 (GMT) in Antigua.

"Young guys needed to get their opportunities and perform," Buttler added. "The Caribbean is a nice place to start this journey or whatever you want to call it for a team and everyone is really looking forward."

In England's first ODI series since their woeful defence of the Cricket World Cup in India, captain Buttler is part of a newilook squad in the Caribbean.

Of England's 15 players, only six featured in the tournament in India, including Brydon Carse, who replaced fellow left-arm fast bowler Reece Topley midway through the World Cup.

Buttler, Carse, all-rounders Sam Curran and Liam Livingstone, batter Harry Brook and fast bowler Gus Atkinson keep their places from the World Cup.

Leg-spinner Rehan Ahmed is in the squad, having pulled out of the Big Bash League on Friday, where he was due to feature for Sydney Sixers. Batter Brook has also withdrawn from joining the Melbourne Stars, while Test batter Zak Crawley will miss the start of the BBL, but is set to link up with the Perth Scorchers after the ODI series.

West Indies had originally named a 15-man squad, which included a surprise recall for wicketkeeper for Shane Dowrich.

However, 10 days after the recall, Dowrich announced his international retirement with immediate effect and West Indies opted not to name a replacement.

Their squad, captained by Shai Hope, includes the uncapped duo of all-rounders Sherfane Rutherford and Matthew Forde.

Following the three-match ODI series, the two sides will play a five-match T20 series.

Eng always struggles in WI. Not sure why.

West Indies 'keeper-bat withdraws from ODI squad, announces international retirement

West Indies' Shane Dowrich has retired from international cricket with immediate effect.

The 32-year-old was named in West Indies squad for England ODIs, which begin from 3 December, but withdrew and stated his intention to retire from the game.

Cricket West Indies have decided not to name a replacement for Dowrich with captain Shai Hope set to take over wicket-keeping duties.

Dowrich, who made his international debut in 2015, played one ODI in 2019, against Bangladesh.

He has been a more regular presence in the Test side, having played 35 matches, scoring 1570 runs at an average of 29.07 with three centuries and nine fifties to his name. He also effected 90 dismissals.

"We want to thank Shane for contribution when he played for West Indies," said Miles Bascombe, CWI's Director of Cricket.

"He is a disciplined, hard-working cricketer who always gave his utmost in front and behind the stumps. He had a memorable series in 2019 when he made an outstanding Test century on home soil in Barbados to help us beat England and win the Wisden Trophy.

"We respect his decision to retire and appreciate it is not an easy one to make. We wish him all the best as he steps away from the international stage."

West Indies will host England for three ODIs and five T20Is from 3 to 21 December.

West Indies ODI squad: Shai Hope (c,wk), Alzarri Joseph (vc), Alick Athanaze, Yannic Cariah, Keacy Carty, Roston Chase, Matthew Forde, Shimron Hetmyer, Brandon King, Gudakesh Motie, Kjorn Ottley, Sherfane Rutherford, Romario Shepherd, Oshane Thomas

Schedule:

3 December: 1st ODI, North Sound, Antigua

6 December: 2nd ODI, North Sound, Antigua

9 December: 3rd ODI, Bridgetown, Barbados

12 December: 1st T20I, Bridgetown, Barbados

14 December: 2nd T20I, St George's, Grenada

16 December: 3rd T20I, St George's, Grenada

19 December: 4th T20I, Tarouba, Trinidad

21 December: 5th T20I, Tarouba, Trinidad

ICC
I'm still trying to make sense of this Shane Dowrich situation ! One look at his T20 record suggests a franchise career is unlikely.

What's the reason for this sudden retirement ? If he's fed up of cricket, why show up to the pre-series training camp ? Is this in protest at the exclusion of Darren Bravo ?

WI are trying to match Pakistan for drama and dysfunction.

According to media sources, Former England cricketer Andrew Flintoff will rejoin England's backroom staff for the T20I series against West Indies.

The Cricket West Indies (CWI) Senior Selection Panel has named the 15-man squad to play against England in the first three matches of the five-match T20 International (T20I) series from 12 to 21 December. It marks the first time that both nations will be going head-to-head in a T20I series during the festive season as West Indies come home for Christmas. The West Indies T20I squad return to action after their thrilling 3-2 Series win against India in August.

Matthew Forde is selected for the T20I squad for the first time, having impressed with the new ball throughout the past two CPL seasons and this follows his recent selection for the West Indies ODI squad. Sherfane Rutherford is also selected and returns to the squad after last representing the regional side in January of 2020. Gudakesh Motie returns to the T20I squad after recovering from injury which caused him to miss selection for the India Series.

The T20I squad also sees the return of all-rounder, Andre Russell, who last played for the Men in Maroon at the 2021 ICC Men’s T20 World Cup in the UAE. Johnson Charles, Obed McCoy, Odean Smith and Oshane Thomas miss out on selection after featuring in the previous T20I squad.

Shai Hope becomes the vice captain of the T20I team, to add to his role as captain of the West Indies ODI team. The Selection Panel has the opportunity for squad adjustments ahead of the final two matches of the Series to be played at the Brian Lara Cricket Academy on from 19 to 21 December.

Speaking about the composition of the squad, CWI lead selector, the Honorable Dr. Desmond Haynes said: “This will be the final home T20I series for the West Indies in 2023, as they prepare to be one of the two host teams for the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup in the West Indies and USA in June 2024. We have selected a squad that we think gives us the best chance of success in that tournament. We will continue to assess in the lead up to the competition."

Well within three months from WC favorites to crashing out and now losing a series to minnow type WI but the good thing unlike some other cricket board and fans ECB is still standing firm with Buttler & Co.

I wonder how much the lack of stability has cost Paksitan cricket since the turn of the century

In its ongoing efforts to speed up the pace of play in international cricket, the International Cricket Council (ICC) has introduced a stop clock, on a trial basis, in Full Member Men’s ODI and T20I matches (approximately 59 fixtures) between December 2023 and April 2024.

The trial will start with the first T20I match between the West Indies and England on 12 December in Barbados.

The stop clock will restrict the amount of time taken between overs, meaning that the bowling team will need to be ready to bowl the first ball of their next over within 60 seconds of the previous over being completed. Failure to do so for the third time in an innings (following two warnings) will result in a five-run penalty being imposed against the fielding team.

Wasim Khan, ICC General Manager – Cricket said:

“We are continually looking at ways to speed up the pace of play across international cricket."

“The stop clock trial in white ball international cricket follows the introduction of a successful new playing condition in 2022, which resulted in the fielding team only being allowed four fielders outside of the inner circle if they were not in a position to bowl the first ball of their final over in the stipulated time."

“The outcomes of the stop clock trial will be assessed at the end of the trial period.”

The Cricket West Indies (CWI) Senior Men’s Selection Panel has made two changes to the 15-member squad ahead of the fourth and fifth T20 Internationals (T20Is) against England.

The Selection Panel is resting fast bowler Alzarri Joseph in consideration of his workload including the forthcoming all-format tour of Australia in January and February. He is replaced in the squad by fellow pacer Oshane Thomas. Johnson Charles, the experienced batter is also called into the squad to replace Shimron Hetmyer.

West Indies currently lead the Series 2-1 after winning the first two T20Is in Barbados and Grenada. England won the third match in Grenada ahead of the two teams travelling to Trinidad for the finale. The West Indies have a chance to clinch the T20I Series on Tuesday 19 December in the fourth encounter at the Brian Lara Cricket Academy. The final match will be played on the Thursday 21 December at the same venue. Both matches are day/night games with the first ball bowled at 4pm local time (3pm Jamaica time).

FULL SQUAD

Rovman Powell (Captain)
Shai Hope (Vice-Captain)
Johnson Charles
Roston Chase
Matthew Forde
Jason Holder
Akeal Hosein
Brandon King
Kyle Mayers
Gudakesh Motie
Nicholas Pooran
Andre Russell
Sherfane Rutherford
Romario Shepherd
Oshane Thomas

West Indies England T20I series

108 sixes

This is first ever any Bilateral T20I series with more than 100 sixes and one match still left.

West Indies v England: Matthew Mott confident despite tourists' T20 series defeat

England coach Matthew Mott (left) chats to captain Jos Buttler (right)
Matthew Mott and Jos Buttler led England to T20 World Cup glory in 2022 and will aim to defend their title in June
England have "exciting things in the pipeline" despite a 3-2 T20 series defeat by West Indies, says head coach Matthew Mott.

Jos Buttler's side were beaten in both white-ball series on the tour, having lost the one-day international leg 2-1.

England will look to defend their T20 World Cup title in the West Indies and the United States in June 2024.

"We really could not have got many more lessons from this tour," said Mott after defeat in the fifth T20.

"West Indies thoroughly deserved their win but we've had some really good performances here.

"There's some exciting things in the pipeline."

England fought back from 2-0 down to level the series after two incredible batting efforts, chasing 223 and hitting their T20 record of 267 as Phil Salt smashed consecutive centuries, before losing the decider in Trinidad by four wickets in a low-scoring encounter.

The tourists were without several senior players, including Test captain Ben Stokes, fast bowler Mark Wood and opener Jonny Bairstow, who were resting after the 50-over World Cup.

Mott remains confident despite the disappointing group-stage exit in India and these two series defeats, saying the return of those players will make for "difficult" selection - something he wants leading into the T20 World Cup.

England do not play another T20 international until a four-match series against Pakistan in May, which will be their only outings before the T20 World Cup the following month.

Many, but not all, of England's squad will be involved in the Indian Premier League (IPL) from March to May.

"It's not as big an issue as people think," Mott told TNT Sports. "Our players are getting opportunities in white-ball leagues all around the world.

"They're playing a high level of cricket. That's the modern game. We will get out here to the West Indies a little bit early if we can and make sure we are prepared and ready for an amazing World Cup."

England struggled in the final T20 on a used surface that aided the bowlers, with Salt's 38 the top score in their 132 all out.

In the hosts' chase, Shai Hope calmly hit an unbeaten run-a-ball 43 to secure victory, with Mott saying England may have to pick someone to play a similar anchor role in the World Cup for when they are faced with similar conditions,

He said Stokes was the "obvious" candidate if he is fit after his recovery from a knee operation and the upcoming five-Test tour of India.

Mott added he had kept his extra pace options "up his sleeve", with uncapped John Turner not playing a game on the tour, Wood resting and Jofra Archer continuing his return to fitness.

On Wednesday, Mott said Stokes and Archer will have places kept open for them in the team for the T20 World Cup.

"Throw them into a team like this and it's pretty dynamic," he said.

"Fitness pending they'll definitely be great assets coming back for us."

Source : BBC Sports

Jos Buttler after losing the T20 series against West Indies:

"They hit a lot of sixes as a team, that's something that is a trademark of their side and we've got to find ways to limit that,"

"It's hard to say when you've lost but I think we've found out some good things,"

"We've obviously had five games out here in the Caribbean and had a really good look at what conditions will be like for the World Cup only six months away. So yeah, it's been a good series."

"I've had some low moments for sure,"

"It was a huge disappointment in my career that [ODI] World Cup just gone, but after you let the dust settle there's huge motivation and determination to have another crack and keep going. So that desire still burns strongly."

"We don't play together as a team now [until May] but everyone's going to be playing lots of T20 cricket in different tournaments around the world so that's a plus.”

"Hopefully we can come here and look forward to a really good World Cup,"

"It's been good to be in these conditions and have a look at what might work in those scenarios. I think if you can execute your yorkers they're still the best ball in T20."

"I haven't spoken to Jof. Obviously, I saw him in Barbados, it was good to see him back in training with us and bowling well.

"I know the medical team and staff have got a good plan for him and I think I speak on behalf of all England cricket fans and cricket fans around the world that we want to see Jof back and back for good. So I think it's important that he takes his time,"

Back