[EXCLUSIVE] "Babar Azam should leave captaincy": Rashid Latif

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Over the past year, Pakistan's men's cricket team has been exposed across all three formats. They were knocked out in the group stages of both the ODI and T20 World Cups, suffering losses to Afghanistan and the USA respectively. Additionally, they were whitewashed at home in a Test series against Bangladesh. This period is arguably one of the lowest points in Pakistan's cricket history.

To discuss where Pakistan cricket is going wrong, Saj is joined by former Pakistan captain, Rashid Latif. The former Pakistan wicketkeeper-batter also shares his thoughts on the ongoing Champions Cup in Faisalabad, Babar Azam's dip in form, and much more.

Highlights of the interview include:

1. His views on Babar Azam's dip in form
2. Pakistan's Test series defeat and how Pakistan cricket can be resurrected
3. Importance of finger spinners in Test cricket
4. Why, in his view, gym training is hurting Pakistan pacers

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think a spinning track would have saved Pakistan either as Bangladesh is known for their spin attack and they play in these conditions on their home ground through out the year... so i think spin friendly wicket could have easily led Pakistan to an innings defeat against them.

I agree with Rashid about Babar Azam. He should stay away from captaincy. He is attracting too much hate for that irrelevant thing. Leave captaincy and focus on what he can do best and that is to bat and work hard for Pakistan.

Finger spinners?? Well, Pakistan has not got many. Even if Pakistan makes spin-friendly tracks, it might not much difference because Pakistan is so bad in each format atm. Recovery will take time.

Babar should rightly be relieved of the burden of captaincy as it is taking a toll on his performances. Infact not only captaincy but too much limelight is hurting him too.

On PCB being in ICU, this is what actually happens when a patient is treated by a quack surgeon rather than a qualified doctor.

Babar should rightly be relieved of the burden of captaincy as it is taking a toll on his performances. Infact not only captaincy but too much limelight is hurting him too.

On PCB being in ICU, this is what actually happens when a patient is treated by a quack surgeon rather than a qualified doctor.
Forget everything, Babar first need to sort out his fitness, it is pathetic.

Pakistan team is finished unfortunately. This team will be beaten by other teams including associate teams regularly. There is no talent at all. It will get worse with time.

I've been saying this for a long time - too many Pakistani players prioritise captaincy over everything else.

Babar needs to focus on his batting and form and forget about captaincy for the time being.

I don't think captaincy is for him. He is a fine batter who does not need to be captain to prove his value to the team.

I really don't get this obsession from Pakistani players about wanting to be captain.

I've been saying this for a long time - too many Pakistani players prioritise captaincy over everything else.

Babar needs to focus on his batting and form and forget about captaincy for the time being.

I don't think captaincy is for him. He is a fine batter who does not need to be captain to prove his value to the team.

I really don't get this obsession from Pakistani players about wanting to be captain.
This obsession is taking the entire cricket down.

The whole world is screaming that Babr should get out of this captaincy race and focus on his primary role which is batting but Babar is not hearing a world. PCB has no brain so to tell them something is a no-brainer.

Babar should think about this sensibly and leave this race behind. His form with the bat is more important because we know, he is not a captaincy material.

As expected Naqvi is just a puppet and don't have any say to these players. Don't expect ICC will choose captain and players if PCB can't. So its up to Babar and co to decide whether the want to play or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Captaincy becomes a matter of pride for Pakistani players.

It's almost like they can't give it up as it will make them lose face.

Their mindset seems to be, to hell with my performances or career, as long as I am captain that's all that matters.

Back