[EXCLUSIVE] "I will go to any extent to represent Pakistan": Mohammad Asghar

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Mohammad Asghar, a Peshawar Zalmi PSL prodigy, has had a remarkable journey. From making his FC debut at the age of 15 to breaching the defense of Shane Watson in his maiden PSL tournament to taking a match-winning 3-16 in the PSL 2017 final.

The left-arm spinner suddenly disappeared after his fantastic PSL start and has been playing League cricket in the UK these days. In the latest episode of PakPassion Exclusive interviews with Saj, Mohammad Asghar talks about his journey, getting deprived of domestic cricket in Pakistan, and how he plans on making a grand comeback.

The topics he discussed in this interview include:

Playing club cricket in the UK: Experience of playing league cricket in the UK and how it differs from playing in Pakistan.

First Class career: Reflections on his achievements and lessons learned from his First-Class career, which began when he was just 15 years old.

PSL snub: Being overlooked for the Pakistan Super League (PSL) despite his impressive debut performance.

Mistreatment of youngsters: Concerns about the mistreatment of young cricketers by the Pakistan Cricket Board.

Lack of quality spinners: Why Pakistan is struggling to produce top-notch spinners.

Future aspirations: Plans to revive his career and make a comeback to international cricket.

Watch full interview here:

Mohammad Asghar, a Peshawar Zalmi PSL prodigy, has had a remarkable journey. From making his FC debut at the age of 15 to breaching the defense of Shane Watson in his maiden PSL tournament to taking a match-winning 3-16 in the PSL 2017 final.

The left-arm spinner suddenly disappeared after his fantastic PSL start and has been playing League cricket in the UK these days. In the latest episode of PakPassion Exclusive interviews with Saj, Mohammad Asghar talks about his journey, getting deprived of domestic cricket in Pakistan, and how he plans on making a grand comeback.

Playing club cricket in the UK: Experience of playing league cricket in the UK and how it differs from playing in Pakistan.

First Class career: Reflections on his achievements and lessons learned from his First-Class career, which began when he was just 15 years old.

PSL snub: Being overlooked for the Pakistan Super League (PSL) despite his impressive debut performance.

Mistreatment of youngsters: Concerns about the mistreatment of young cricketers by the Pakistan Cricket Board.

Lack of quality spinners: Why Pakistan is struggling to produce top-notch spinners.

Future aspirations: Plans to revive his career and make a comeback to international cricket.

English county?

I remember seeing him in the PSL and he looked a talent.

He needs to add some batting skills to his game to break through alongside fielding at a good level.

I wish him the best in his future.

I remember seeing him in the PSL and he looked a talent.

He needs to add some batting skills to his game to break through alongside fielding at a good level.

I wish him the best in his future.
I wondered for long where did he disappear. He is 100x better than the current spinning lot in our national side

He needs some sifarish and high level contacts.

That's the way it works in Pakistan.

This guy is much better than so many players we are seeing in domestic cricket and in the PSL.

He's a good spinner with a nice high arm action.

He needs to up his fielding & batting. He's still good option specially for the Test format.

Are you saying you have no faith in naqvi s alleged clear out plan Saj. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.
Saj bhai is 💯 correct

Unless your the son of a ex-cricketer you got no chance without safaarishism.

I remember him bowling in PSL 2017 he was getting some amazing revs as well flight, dip & curve on the ball.

Then he went off the rador so was replaced by Nawaz and Noman Ali who couldn’t spin a coin let alone a cricket ball between them.

Last edited by a moderator:
was a decent bowler, but didnt have much batting or fielding skills, and debut at "15" says everything about how much potential to develop he has.

was unlucky not to have played for Pakistan some years ago, but hasnt done anything outstanding in the past few years (4 professional games in in 1.5 years) to suddenly warrant being back in contention.

He vanished suddenly. Yet another case of PCB's poor management and worst eye for spotting a talent and grooming him.

Saj bhai is 💯 correct

Unless your the son of a ex-cricketer you got no chance without safaarishism.

I remember him bowling in PSL 2017 he was getting some amazing revs as well flight, dip & curve on the ball.

Then he went off the rador so was replaced by Nawaz and Noman Ali who couldn’t spin a coin let alone a cricket ball between them.
I know bro.

But it has got distinctly worst over the years with more and more average people coming through.

When the base is weak i.e the PCB then it will filter through to the rest of the system and we see sporadic performances.

I will add that bowlers now days need to know how to bat a bit especially spinners.

I still remember him, bowling for Peshawar Zalmi. He had that great potential, and disappeared suddenly.

Are you saying you have no faith in naqvi s alleged clear out plan Saj. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.
zero faith in PCB these days. In fact for a very long time.

Too many people coming into the PCB who only have their own interests at heart. They want to make quick money and don't give a damn about Pakistan cricket.

Too many people coming into the PCB who only have their own interests at heart. They want to make quick money and don't give a damn about Pakistan cricket.
Cant argue with that bro.

The country is waiting for I K to get this country on its feet and have true freedom in every sense of the word.

That's a fair comment, I have no faith in PCB too.

On top of that PSL has become a really poor league over the past 2 years, no world class talent in the league, really poor quality of cricket. Performances in the league don't matter anymore, the gap between PSL and international cricket is huge..

Poor players like Shadab Khan, Azam Khan, Shaheen Shah, Haris Rauf, Iftikhar Ahmed and Babar Azam perform in the league and think they are modern day greats.

There was a time (in 1994) when we were world champions of Cricket, Hockey, Squash and Snooker. Sadly, we've destroyed all our sports. I believe our cricket is headed the same way as our hockey, squash and snooker.

PSL selection seems to be which team/captain/owner a player's agent is friends with.

Backhand deals are what many players have told me about.

Is that really how a T20 league should be run!

He needs some sifarish and high level contacts.

That's the way it works in Pakistan.

This guy is much better than so many players we are seeing in domestic cricket and in the PSL.
mickey did take him in the test squad but didnt give a chance and dropped

mickey did take him in the test squad but didnt give a chance and dropped
I'm referring mainly to his lack of recent chances at the PSL.

He himself says in the interview regarding players having to beg and plead to play in the PSL.

As i have said many times, he is the most talented out of the PK spinners, but i tear my hair out when i watch him bowl. Surely, someone can help him to work on just landing the ball on a consistent length because he has the spin to beat the bat.

So humble and hard working. An absolute talent being wasted. Was wondering what had happened to him

I hope he gets a chance to represent the country because he started off so well in PSL that I was sure that he would be in the team soon but unfortunately, he was replaced by options that are not good anymore.

Hard-working guy, but he needs to step up and make a wave in domestics.

Back