[EXCLUSIVE] "I would give Babar Azam and Mohammad Rizwan 5 matches to change their batting approach in T20Is": Rashid Latif

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Nobody dissects matters related to Pakistan cricket better than the former captain and wicketkeeper Rashid Latif and PakPassion is delighted to host him for an exclusive and detailed discussion on Pakistan's cricket affairs.

During this interview with Saj Sadiq, Latif spoke about Pakistan's horrific T20 World Cup campaign, the importance of domestic cricket, Babar Azam's biggest mistake, and much more.

The topics he discussed in this interview included:

PCB Chairman's 'surgery' statement: His thoughts on the controversial statement made by Mohsin Naqvi regarding jpw he wishes to address and fix the current dismal state of Pakistan cricket.

Wahab Riaz: Actual role and contributions to the team.

Issues in Pakistan Cricket: Major issues plaguing Pakistan cricket, with an in-depth analysis of the what brought us to the current situation.

The Difference Between Pakistan and India Cricket: A comparative analysis of the cricketing structures and cultures of Pakistan and India.

On Babar Azam’s Captaincy: Pakistan's top-rated batter's leadership style, his strengths, and areas where he can improve.

On Pakistan’s Batting in T20: Insights into the performance and strategies of Pakistan's batting lineup in T20 matches.

On Azam Khan: Azam Khan's potential and his future prospects in the national team.

On Shadab Khan: Shadab Khan's role and performance in the team.

Can the Pakistan Team Achieve Success? Potential for success of the current Pakistan team and what it would take to regain former glory.

Watch full interview here:

Last edited by a moderator:
Brilliant bit from Rashid about professionalism amongst Pakistan cricket stars/admins.

He's saying what I have also said before, there needs to be a cooling off period for coaches/players/admins of maybe six months before they are allowed to speak about their job in the Pakistan setup.

We have likes of Hafeez etc, one day in PCB, next day on TV talking about their job and dishing the dirt on others.

Rashid also seems to be suggesting a 'reverse' cooling off period as in someone sitting on TV criticizing PCB should not just walk off the TV set and sit in a PCB meeting room!

Some great insights from Rashid Latif.

Emphasizing the value of first-class cricket like everybody should. I hope PCB can watch this and understand that nothing can make a player better than playing domestic cricket, especially first class cricket.

Cricket will only value those who value it in return.

Rashid Latif was spot on regarding the captaincy change saga as PCB management did mistake upon mistake. First they coerced Babar to resign and then robbed Shaheen of his captaincy. And no wonder why Pakistan cricket team is stinking at the moment with very low morale

Finally some sense, though I think 5 matches is too kind.

Also, I agree on rewarding domestic performers, but it is interesting that when players who are not our favourites (Sharjeel) perform or represent the change needed, ‘doing well in domestic’ cricket is more like a fancy slogan with no real meat or authenticity or honesty behind it.

Player power runs Pakistan cricket.

Would the PCB have the guts to give players like Babar an ultimatum regarding their approach in T20Is? I highly doubt it and that's why we are lagging behind other teams.

An apple remains an apple and an orange remains an orange no matter what a farmer does.

Even the great Kohli only succeeds when he plays with his natural (careful) batting approach which we saw throughout the recent WC.

I would say this a millionth time. Pakistan’s problem is not batting approach of Babar & Rizwan. Pakistan’s problem is poor leadership, lack of discipline & unity, instability and of course lack of mentally strong players.

I think Rashid Latif was nearly spot on out of all the figures who have spoken on the two recently.

Fakhar Zaman & Mohd. Haris should open in T20Is. Only one of Babar or Rizwan should be part of T20I team.

Pakistan need aggressive batters in T20 side.

Bowling is okay but no more Shadab.

An apple remains an apple and an orange remains an orange no matter what a farmer does.

Even the great Kohli only succeeds when he plays with his natural (careful) batting approach which we saw throughout the recent WC.

I would say this a millionth time. Pakistan’s problem is not batting approach of Babar & Rizwan. Pakistan’s problem is poor leadership, lack of discipline & unity, instability and of course lack of mentally strong players.
What made Kohli great was not this approach, this is the approach that led to his retirement. Had he not retired, he would have been kicked out precisely because of this approach.

Babar and Rizwan today are two of Pakistan's biggest T20 problems, way bigger than all the other unquantifiables you mentioned.

Kohli is a much greater T20 batter than Babar or Rizwan.

Not sure what you want to say.

There is nothing wrong with Rizwan's T20I game. He has chased big targets successfully. I don't know why fans are singling him out. Even Inzamam had a nightmare in the 2003 World Cup. Just because Rizwan had one bad tournament doesn't mean he is not good enough. He is still our best T20I batsman.

I don't think these guys can improve their game further. It's time to get chutkaara from both of them.
Their stat padding has led to downfall of Pak cricket.
Due to them super talented batters like Saim Azam Ifti Asif Shadab Fakhar are not able to perform as per their ability.

The approach has to change and the players who are not prepared to change their approach need booting out, irrespective of their egos or averages.

There is nothing wrong with Rizwan's T20I game. He has chased big targets successfully. I don't know why fans are singling him out. Even Inzamam had a nightmare in the 2003 World Cup. Just because Rizwan had one bad tournament doesn't mean he is not good enough. He is still our best T20I batsman.
Nice to meet you sir. I m glad there is still sanity amongst some of the posters here.

really? You can't even spot one thing wrong with his T20 game?

Babar Rizwan cannot bat 1/2, if they are to remain in t20 team they need to bat 3/5 and hopefully at least one of them can be there towards the final overs and see the game home

Well it's over to Gary Kirsten - will he just let things be, will he just let things continue as they are, or will he put his foot down.

Only time will tell, but Kirsten already knows he's in a tough role, one of the toughest in the world of sport and it will not be an easy ride.

And who is the source of the “poor leadership” ? Is Babar mentally strong? Is rizwan mentally strong? Are these two not part of the disunity and “friends” groups?

However you want to slice it, these two have played a major part in Pakistan’s demise.

And please let’s not compare to Kohli. Babar and Rizwan don’t have the range of shots of Kohli, nor the mental strength. If they had those, then maybe they could turn their poor approach to matchwinning innings but they neither attack when needed, nor do they have the mental fortitude to turn an initially slow innings in to matchwinning ones.

I come back to the same point. Whichever way you slice it, these two are the problem.

Babar and rizwan have had enough games but really, there was no real improvement in their batting style. They still end up playing run-a-ball type inning in t20s which is not going to help anybody.

Time to bring a solid change up top. Only one of these guys can stay.

How many of our T20 batters would make it to the line-up of the current top teams?

None I reckon.

And who is the source of the “poor leadership” ? Is Babar mentally strong? Is rizwan mentally strong? Are these two not part of the disunity and “friends” groups?

However you want to slice it, these two have played a major part in Pakistan’s demise.

And please let’s not compare to Kohli. Babar and Rizwan don’t have the range of shots of Kohli, nor the mental strength. If they had those, then maybe they could turn their poor approach to matchwinning innings but they neither attack when needed, nor do they have the mental fortitude to turn an initially slow innings in to matchwinning ones.

I come back to the same point. Whichever way you slice it, these two are the problem.
These people are comparing Kohli at the absolute end of his lifespan and one who just retired in t20 to 2 batsmen who are supposedly in the peak of their careers and have convinced the world of their Bradman status.

That shows how desperate the babar/rizwan supporters have become.

Look at what kohli use to do in t20 during his 2014-2019 days in t20.

Heck even in 2021-2022 his innings against pakistan as well as his absolute demolition of Afghanistan bowling with the likes of rashid Khan, Mujeeb, Farroqi etc and scoring 122 against said opposition.

Babar and rizwan can't compare. But chalo let die hard fans take solace in the fact that Babar and rizwan are 50 % the level of expired end of t20 lifespan kohli. Don't worry, I'm sure they'll eventually equal a 45 year old kohli in t20.

Babar and rizwan need no more games to change their batting style. They need a solid wake-up call by dropping either one of them or both from the T20 squad.

None of them is gonna make it into the paying 11 of the top t20 teams with such batting approach. They are still playing 90s cricket.

'When you play in August, you need spinners but we have pacers bowling at 130': Rashid Latif​

There were days when defeats against a team like Bangladesh would rankle, and shock us. We were a formidable team and it was not easy to beat us. In 2003, they came close to beating us thrice in three Tests. We ended up winning the series 3-0. The aura of invincibility at home is gone. We have lost five in the last nine games at home.

The world knows that pace used to be our strength but our top fast bowlers no longer bowl at breakneck pace. It was the root cause of the defeat yesterday (at Rawalpindi on Sunday). Their speeds have come down drastically. If they are carrying injuries, they should reveal that. Shaheen (Afridi), Naseem (Shah), and Khurram (Shahzad) started off with pace of 145.
They all have come down to 130.

Our trainers and physios are to blame. If you look at a Jofra Archer, he comes back after two years of hiatus but does not lose a yard in his pace. Same with Jasprit Bumrah -- he comes back from an operation and bowls with the same velocity. Pat Cummins... he was out of cricket for a long time due to injury. When he came back, he did not show any signs of slowing down. Why are our bowlers slowing down? Obviously, our support staff is not doing a proper job. A bowler of 144 kmph speed has come down to 128 kmph.

The pitch prepared for the Test is meant for a November-December game. In this part of the world, the ball moves in the winter when there is moisture beneath the pitch and in the air too. We're in August. The weather is dry now. If you play in August, you need spinners and we don't have quality spinners. We went into the Test without a spinner. There was rain but because of the heat, the conditions got dry. In these hot conditions, the green pitches do not work.

Our cricket season is not meant to start now. We normally start in October and we've started playing two months early. However green the surface you have, it gets dried because of the heat. There would not be any assistance for the fast bowlers. It would be different in November-December.

If you see the record, Pindi always produces batting pitches. Rahul Dravid had scored a double hundred (270, in 2004) here. We need pace to play in Pakistan. We need pacers who can reverse swing. On grassy tops, with lush green square, it does not reverse. Kookaburra balls do not suit our conditions. Here the SG or the Duke balls suit us. The hand-stitched balls work better for us. It gives good pace and gives swing.

Our record was much better in the UAE. Yasir Shah was there. We used to beat all the top teams, England, Australia, New Zealand. Since we have come back home, we have not won much. If I remember correctly, we beat only one top team and that is South Africa. It was not a typical green top then and Shaheen and Hasan Ali bowled at 145. Our fast bowlers are effective only in white ball cricket. There are no Test match bowlers left in Pakistan. They can't bowl 30 overs in a Test match. It is not possible to play Test cricket with this kind of bowling.

Jason Gillespie is a good coach. He has got the experience but it is not easy to read pitches in the sub-continental conditions for foreigners. The locals have to do it. Azhar Mahmood (assistant coach) is supposed to be the expert. But he lives in England. Shan Masood and Babar Azam have played in these conditions and they should have known. They thought grass would do the trick for them. It backfired.

The five-day matches are different from the ODIs and the T20Is. Every session is different in a Test. Bangladesh adapted well. We no longer have quality spinners like we used to, so turning tracks are no longer an option. Instead, we relied on pace, but the tactics backfired. Our bowlers bowled too short, while Bangladesh focused on fuller deliveries, and that made all the difference. They also have quality spinners in Mehidy Hasan Miraz and Shakib Al Hasan. Personally, I would have also included Taijul Islam.

They made the right decision by opting to bowl first, given the conditions, and their early success proved it was the correct call. There was no need to declare (at 448 for six) - they should have aimed for 550. Falling 100 runs short ultimately made the difference. (Mohammad) Rizwan was unbeaten on 171, and Shaheen was also batting well on 30 (29). Those 100 extra runs cost us the game. Bangladesh, on the other hand, read the conditions well and outplayed Pakistan. They wore down the Pakistani bowlers and then capitalized.

Back