[EXCLUSIVE] "Pakistan is getting left behind": David 'Bumble' Lloyd

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Pakistan has only won 5 out of their last 15 T20I matches. Among these, two victories were against a depleted New Zealand side, and two against Ireland. Following their surprising loss to the USA in the opening game of the T20 World Cup, many are questioning whether Pakistan can still be considered a top cricketing side.

In this episode, former England player and prominent commentator David "Bumble" Lloyd and Saj Sadiq delve into the ongoing T20 World Cup, the current state of Pakistan cricket, and how the team can regroup before facing India.

Watch the full interview here:

00:14 - Introduction
01:47 - On the T20 World Cup
04:31 - Which teams have impressed him?
06:03 - On the development of cricket in the USA
07:20 - On Pakistan’s loss to the USA
10:33 - How does a team regroup after such a loss?
12:42 - Outro

What was telling, was that he suggested the entire team needs a revamp, which just shows what a sad state we are in.

I've seen a shift in tone from commentators as of late. Even Nasser Hussain said while he was on commentary recently that Pakistan is not a mecurial any longer, we just suck (he said it in a more eloquent way of course)

What was telling, was that he suggested the entire team needs a revamp, which just shows what a sad state we are in.

I've seen a shift in tone from commentators as of late. Even Nasser Hussain said while he was on commentary recently that Pakistan is not a mecurial any longer, we just suck (he said it in a more eloquent way of course)
Mercurial works when we have one Afridi in the lineup, when we all 11 of them are Afridi, then majority of games we will suck. Only in Pakistan a player like Afridi can play over 300 games and be revered for what he did or lack of it. Now that we have run out of miracles we are at the level of associates.

Pakistan was left way behind when they chose a way to select overhyped guys instead of regular domestic heavyweights. Preferences was always wrong, selectors were not serious and they knew nothing about selection and need of the hour.

Lost to afghanistan, Zimbabwe, USA in last 2 years in world cups. persisting with players like Azam Khan and Iftikhar who are just league bullies and hacks. Saim is young but he was also a league bully till now.

The whole Pakistan setup needs to change. We need professional guys who know cricket inside out, have no external pressure to choose specific players based on nepotism but have zero performance to show.

Making Babar captain again was also a thing no sane guy will do but Thanks to Naqvi sahab. Removed Shaheen after just 1 series.

Pakistan need to find a way to stop backing selfish cowards. Every influential figure in the last 14 years has been a coward

I think first of all Pak fans and cricket journalists need to accept that the skill level of Pak batters and subcontinent batsman in general are lagging behind in T20. SENA has hitters like Head, Klassen, Salt etc what does Asia ind/Pak/Bang/SL) got? They need to come out of victim mindset and accept they are not at world class level.

Unfortunately Pakistan team has only one gear in their car and that is reverse gear.

The format is very reasonable which gives each team at least 4 matches and also give associate sides to play against the top teams to test their skills against the best.

Cric_lover4487
Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka are four entirely different countries and their people are different. Talk about Pakistani players but do not assume that people of other three countries are like Pakistanis. They are not.

A complete overhaul is imminent to end the dismal state of Pakistan cricket here. Hopefully something miraculous happen to Pakistan cricket and we could replicate the past glory.

A complete overhaul is imminent to end the dismal state of Pakistan cricket here. Hopefully something miraculous happen to Pakistan cricket and we could replicate the past glory.
rizwan
ahmed shehzad
asif ali (captain)
kamran akmal
umar akmal
fakhar zaman
asad shafiq
shaheen
abbas afridi
abrar
amir

Hope mohsin naqvi reading this post...

Agree with Bumble. Pakistan cricket seems to still follow a 1990's approach. Too reliant on jazba and junoon like good old days.

Cricket has become very objective. Pakistan need to embrace radical changes.

I completely see this kind of criticism as non constructive.

It's not as if some tendulkar or Kohli is warming the benches of Pakistan team and the overhaul will make it right.

The pool of Pakistan team has been so much devoid of talents that I think even if PCB tries to, but it can't come up with a good team.

Every time any new batsman or bowler comes from Pakistan, they all have the same technique, same weaknesses, same strength..... It's not hard to read the team. Just change the name from a, b, C to x, y, z and the same plan will still work against them too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I completely see this kind of criticism as non constructive.

It's not as if some tendulkar or Kohli is warming the benches of Pakistan team and the overhaul will make it right.

The pool of Pakistan team has been so much devoid of talents that I think even if PCB tries to, but it can't come up with a good team.

Every time any new batsman or bowler comes from Pakistan, they all have the same technique, same weaknesses, same strength..... It's not hard to read the team. Just change the name from a, b, C to x, y, z and the same plan will still work against them too.
Here come the Indian chest thumpers making it sound like Pakistan has no talent. hahaha

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link and its true, we have a bunch of passengers. Weed out the poor players and bring in guys who did well in test and ODI series, proper players. Aamer Jamal is one. Abrar is another.

Those are just a few names. We have plenty of world class talent. The fault is with poor leadership, at selection as well as team level. Babar is a wonderful player but absolutely rubbish captain. He needs to play simply as a batsman. We have all the right ingredients to be world champions. Just need the right people, the right decisions and some fine tuning.

Here come the Indian chest thumpers making it sound like Pakistan has no talent. hahaha

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link and its true, we have a bunch of passengers. Weed out the poor players and bring in guys who did well in test and ODI series, proper players. Aamer Jamal is one. Abrar is another.

Those are just a few names. We have plenty of world class talent. The fault is with poor leadership, at selection as well as team level. Babar is a wonderful player but absolutely rubbish captain. He needs to play simply as a batsman. We have all the right ingredients to be world champions. Just need the right people, the right decisions and some fine tuning.
I looked at their stats. Their domestic stats are mediocre if I am not mistaken in their identity. Your replacement are those two? Seriously?

Aren't any player from Pakistan are better than these two to say the least?

I looked at their stats. Their domestic stats are mediocre if I am not mistaken in their identity. Your replacement are those two? Seriously?

Aren't any player from Pakistan are better than these two to say the least?
When it comes to the Pakistan team, domestic or any stats don't mean anything. Its all about the mindset. The same players won us the last world cup game against India (Babar and Rizwan) with the bat, scored a high pressure 100 in a big final in 2017 against you guys (Fakhar) and the bowling is also in good hands. We need a few of the dead weights removed and change the defensive mindset. That's all we need. Pakistan's problem are with the leadership and utilizing strategies from the 80s and 90s. The day they fix this, they will immediately be back on track.

Nothing earth shattering there. Unfortunately, the these small problems may be the toughest to fix due to the internal political turmoil and instability but none of it has roots in lack of talent of weak bench strength.

The whole world can see what the issues are with Pakistan's T20 side and what needs to change, but the PCB cannot.

Stubborn attitude which is dragging Pakistan cricket down.

The whole world can see what the issues are with Pakistan's T20 side and what needs to change, but the PCB cannot.

Stubborn attitude which is dragging Pakistan cricket down.
What do you suggest should happen to improve Pakistan Cricket. ?

Even if you don’t possess a power game, or your bats are broken, you can still learn to play more innovative cricket. Ramp shots, scoops, paddles, reverse sweeps etc to get that 180 arc behind the stumps

In the UK here even kids are practicing and executing ramps, scoops etc.

In Pak no-one has the appetite to learn and grow. Just keep doing the same crap and put out king bobsy statements.

Same old same old...we were moving forward but the bajwa doctrine has screwed the nation. The team is demoralised..the nation is demoralised..t20 is the one format where you can introduce young players and new players.. but we keep bringing back rubbish

Also the constant upheaval in the PCB is destroying us..the PCB should be independent of gov..but alas..these clowns have damaged it permanently..I don't think we will ever recover..welcome to Pakistan cricket that will be like hockey soon..a lost nation...I can't watch this side while naqvi and Co have finished us..even India couldn't do it...they have finally done it..a tragedy..

Definitely. all other teams have evolved while Pakistan only revolve :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Look at how AFG have improved drastically from a nothing team to a genuine threat to other teams.

I would like to see Pakistan, USA, Ireland and Zimbabwe in a quadrangular tournament

Would be very competitive, all teams are quite similar in terms of talent and skill-set

I would like to see Pakistan, USA, Ireland and Zimbabwe in a quadrangular tournament

Would be very competitive, all teams are quite similar in terms of talent and skill-set
Yes good also for some of the Pakistani stats driven players.

When it comes to Test cricket, Pakistan should be in division 2 as per Ravi Shastri's suggestion.

Promotion/relegation is the only way some countries will take Test cricket more seriously.

When it comes to Test cricket, Pakistan should be in division 2 as per Ravi Shastri's suggestion.

Promotion/relegation is the only way some countries will take Test cricket more seriously.

This is a good suggestion, we are a second grade test team..

Back