[EXCLUSIVE] Shaun Tait "Naseem Shah is nearly the best fast-bowler I've ever seen at that age"

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
[VIDEO] "Naseem Shah's nearly the best fast bowler I have ever seen at that age": Shaun Tait

Watch out for Saj's exclusive video chat with former Australia bowler and Pakistan fast-bowling coach, Shaun Tait

Last edited:
well he has age fudged so...

Naseem Shah isnt really able to take wickets as of yet. We see those misses and the ohs and ahs, but thats about it

And what age is that? Seem to get a different number all the time.

Naseem Shah isnt really able to take wickets as of yet. We see those misses and the ohs and ahs, but thats about it

Well he said early 20s so he seems like he's accounted for fudging.

Those misses and ohs and ahs are due to his height, there's a similar problem with Shami.

Naseem hasn't really set the world alight. Very inconsistent and doesn't take nearly enough wickets given his pace and movement. He needs to improve his mindset and actually look to attack, take wickets even if he goes for a few vs just being satisfied with being defensive and economical. Even Amir's downfall occurred when he decided to become a more economical defensive bowler

Naseem hasn't really set the world alight. Very inconsistent and doesn't take nearly enough wickets given his pace and movement. He needs to improve his mindset and actually look to attack, take wickets even if he goes for a few vs just being satisfied with being defensive and economical. Even Amir's downfall occurred when he decided to become a more economical defensive bowler

Well said. When he is on, he is a treat to watch bowling at the 4th stump line. I have no idea about his work ethics. He has been playing professional cricket for long enough to get his line right. He has definitely improved though. His assets are pace & swing - he can't afford to lose any with his height.

Up there with Rizwan as the most overrated player in Pakistan history.

Na mate. Naseem is still a proper bowler

Rizwan is an absolute joke being made out to be on par with the likes of Miandad for some people

Along with SSA the only Pakistan bowler who can actually swing the new ball a trait being missed since the era of 2ws, Gul Sami Wahab Junaid etc all struggled in this depth.

That spell of reverse swing reminded me of waqar in his pomp. Naseem was class and made the ball talk. He was great with the old ball, new ball and swinging it both ways above 140kph. Will certain poster admit they were wrong in their judgement regarding Naseem?

Shaun Tait speaking to Saj for Wisden Cricket Monthly,

“I see a lot of myself in Naseem Shah. He’s a bit of a free spirit and he likes to do things his own way. He’s fantastic.”

“I loved working with him [as Pakistan bowling coach] and his talent is just phenomenal. He’s possibly the best fast bowler I’ve ever seen at his age.”

“His ability, his brain, his desire, his competitiveness… he’s almost the perfect package. He swings the new ball both ways, he can reverse swing the old ball, he takes pace off really well, and he has good yorkers. I realise there’s no such thing as the perfect bowler, but he’s nearly there.”

Naseem Shah's remarkable prowess as a fast bowler at such a young age stands as a testament to his extraordinary potential and talent in the world of cricket. Praying for his fitness before going into main cricketing events.

“I see a lot of myself in Naseem Shah. He’s a bit of a free spirit and he likes to do things his own way. He’s fantastic.”

“I loved working with him [as Pakistan bowling coach] and his talent is just phenomenal. He’s possibly the best fast bowler I’ve ever seen at his age.”

“His ability, his brain, his desire, his competitiveness… he’s almost the perfect package. He swings the new ball both ways, he can reverse swing the old ball, he takes pace off really well, and he has good yorkers. I realise there’s no such thing as the perfect bowler, but he’s nearly there.”
He does seem like a charismatic and happy go lucky personality who lightens up the dressing room atmosphere. He does have a stable head on his shoulder. Just needs the right guidance.
He doesn't have the presence of Shaheen though. But he can change it with a tournament defining performance. Let's see.

Naseem Shah is my favorite fast bowler in the world now. He has pace, swings the ball, and has good slower balls too. I hope he plays for Pakistan for many years and does well (of course, not against India :) )

Watching good pace bowling and leg spin vs. top batsmen is the best sight for me in cricket.

I rate Naseem higher than Shaheen because his ball control surpasses Shaheen's.

He displays remarkable skill in both inswing and outswing and his ability to control swing at a good length sets him apart.

I rate Naseem higher than Shaheen because his ball control surpasses Shaheen's.

He displays remarkable skill in both inswing and outswing and his ability to control swing at a good length sets him apart.

I don't think it's ball-control more than knowing when to bowl what. I believe Shaheen has the ability to hit the hard lengths and maintain pressure on the batsmen but he sometimes searches for wickets and pitches it up, which means he goes for a few when there's no movement.

I don't think it's ball-control more than knowing when to bowl what. I believe Shaheen has the ability to hit the hard lengths and maintain pressure on the batsmen but he sometimes searches for wickets and pitches it up, which means he goes for a few when there's no movement.
In the recent few matches whenever Shaheen attempts a yorker it often turns into a full toss, whereas Naseem exhibits better command over yorkers and length deliveries.

yeah that's true he is not lucky enough to getting more wickets.

In the recent few matches whenever Shaheen attempts a yorker it often turns into a full toss, whereas Naseem exhibits better command over yorkers and length deliveries.

yeah that's true he is not lucky enough to getting more wickets.

I agree that his yorker, especially with the old ball is not as accurate as Naseem's.

I like Naseem but "at his age". The perennial problem that PK can't stop. Just judge him on his performances and stop the age judgements

His journey from the streets of Lower Dir to the international cricket arena is not just a testament to his talent but also an inspiration for aspiring cricketers in Pakistan and around the world.

His journey from the streets of Lower Dir to the international cricket arena is not just a testament to his talent but also an inspiration for aspiring cricketers in Pakistan and around the world.
Agreed. IA he stays fit, keeps improving and becomes the best bowler in the World

Shaun Tait chats with Saj about only playing 59 times for Australia, his favourite bowling spell, working with Pakistan's pacers, his thoughts on pitches in Pakistan, his admiration for Naseem Shah, why he rates Shaheen Shah Afridi so highly, what he feels a good bowling coach should do, his toughest opponent, the challenges for modern day pacers and the advice he has for them, career regrets and more.

Last edited:
Thanks Saj bro, great interview.

Tait speaks very well, under his coaching there is no doubt Pak pacers have improved.

Sadly he suffered from injuries but at his very best, Tait was more lethal than Brett Lee with his slingly action. I have no doubt he reached 100mph even if not documented.

Ps. Guys please subscribe to Saj's Youtube channel!

Nice interview, Saj!
Seems like quite a candid person. I found it interesting that he most enjoyed his contests against McCullum. Always fun to see aggressive matchups and see batsman get extra brazen against an express bowler. Maybe thats what Sharma and Gill should do against our pacers next time we play (and they should look to play our spinners out :ROFLMAO:)

I thought our white ball bowling came along well under Shaun Tait. However his lack of red ball experience was reflected in our poor Test showings. That being said he was unlucky to have lost Shaheen to injury during his tenure.

I thought our white ball bowling came along well under Shaun Tait. However his lack of red ball experience was reflected in our poor Test showings. That being said he was unlucky to have lost Shaheen to injury during his tenure.
And we produced wickets that were the worst possible for our pacers and made them look awful.

It was great to see how Shaun Tait has evolved into an exceptional coach which is making a significant positive impact on Pakistan cricket particularly evident in the performance of our bowlers.

Excellent comments on Pakistan not using it's fast bowling strength by preparing flat pitches in internationals. I wonder if they even consult the bowling coaches for such decisions

No doubt our pacers improved under him. His praise for Naseem and Shaheen is encouraging.
Would love to see him work with the team again

Without a doubt he is the most skillful pacers going around for his age and one of the best amongst the pacers who are U-25 currently with only Shaheen being his competitor as of now in that category.

Thanks Saj Bro, enjoyed the interview. He comes across as honest and forthright, has his own way of doing things and wont follow the well tread path.
i guess his feedback about your pitches shold be taken on board (Being Indian, I wish someone like him commented on how pathetically useless indian pitches are for pace bowling).
I guess he had limited chances as a player in that team of bowling galacticos and if not for injuries, he could have thrilled a lot more of us pace loving fans.

Naseem Shah is easily the best bowler of Pakistan. Perfect line and length which leads to good economy and a solid 2 to 3 wickets per game.

Important player for Pakistan, solid batsmen too for a tail ender. Can hold his own and provide support to batsmen.

Thanks Saj Bro, enjoyed the interview. He comes across as honest and forthright, has his own way of doing things and wont follow the well tread path.
i guess his feedback about your pitches shold be taken on board (Being Indian, I wish someone like him commented on how pathetically useless indian pitches are for pace bowling).
I guess he had limited chances as a player in that team of bowling galacticos and if not for injuries, he could have thrilled a lot more of us pace loving fans.
The galaticos you mention were done by 07. Only Lee was left. It was simply his injury/lack of fitness. Otherwise he was well on his way to become an Australian goat atleast if not an atg in white ball cricket. His stock was skyrocketing after 07 wc, at that period he had clearly bypassed Johnson on the pecking order but unfortunately fitness came on the way. He was mesmerizing to watch in 10 t20 wc.

Excellent comments on Pakistan not using it's fast bowling strength by preparing flat pitches in internationals. I wonder if they even consult the bowling coaches for such decisions
Yes defensive mindset to nullify the opposition.

Why do this when you have at least 2 world class pacers at your disposal.

I wonder if PCB would ever think of going down the ECB route of different coaches for different formats.

Specific bowling coach for white ball formats and another for the red ball format.

Worth some thought.

Thanks.

yes very forthright and honest answers.

Not one of those guys who will just say what's politically correct and I like that about him.

He was critical of himself which many cricketers aren't.

I really enjoyed his comments about Naseem Shah and Shaheen Shah Afridi. It's clear that he has a lot of respect and admiration for both of them.

Great interview

Naseem has really come on leaps and bounds in the past year or so, he is looking a very dangerous ODI bowler.

I think Naseem Shah is actually better than I thought he would be at this stage of his career.

He's maturing as a bowler, he's improving and teams are starting to realise that this guy isn't just there to make up the numbers.

He deserves a lot of credit.

Yes defensive mindset to nullify the opposition.

Why do this when you have at least 2 world class pacers at your disposal.
Our wickets are destroying our bowlers with their lack of pace and bounce. I remember some stat that showed that our wickets are the lowest bouncing in World cricket

Our wickets are destroying our bowlers with their lack of pace and bounce. I remember some stat that showed that our wickets are the lowest bouncing in World cricket
During the match against Bangladesh the pitch offered substantial assistance to the fast bowlers.

What I like about him is that he can move the ball both ways even at high pace. At MCG in the last T20 WC Final, Shah vs Butler contest is a testament to it. Once he gets his radar in check, he will make batsmen dance to his tune. He has to be the MOST IMPROVED bowler of the past few years.

Naseem Shah possesses exceptional control over swinging the ball in both directions, making him the next bowling superstar to follow in the footsteps of Shaheen Afridi.

This is true and a point well-made by Shaun Tait.

Incredible that we have world-class bowlers yet give them dead surfaces to bowl on.

This is true and a point well-made by Shaun Tait.

Incredible that we have world-class bowlers yet give them dead surfaces to bowl on.
So pathetic and negative is our thought processes that will kill the good bits of our cricket. Rambo a good game but he was just as bad as the others and quite rightly we got smashed by Eng and easily beaten by Aus. Just produce good wickets and trust the players but we cant.

yeah he bowled on good lengths and was getting the swing both ways.

He could have got wicket of Rohit early but luck was with him.
What was even that dropped catch by slip fielder ..off Naseem Shah’s bowling? I think it was Shubman gill… too unlucky was Naseem Shah today

What was even that dropped catch by slip fielder ..off Naseem Shah’s bowling? I think it was Shubman gill… too unlucky was Naseem Shah today
Yes, it was Naseem to Gill. He bowled well, but that is cricket for you. Sometimes, the most deserving get no reward, and sometimes the not-so-inform bowlers (Like Shadab and Shaeen) pick up wickets.

If naseem was slightly taller he would be even more potent. Great player with elite tier potential. He can become the next spearhead to carry the torch from shoaib akthar. He can be what asif was supposed to be although i do believe Asif was the greater talent.

I fear that the way Naseem Shah keeps getting injured in all major tournaments he might turn into another Shaun Tait.

Naseem needs to bowl a more attacking line however his progress has been good.

how frequently Naseem Shah is getting injured, I don't think his cricket career can be extended.

His lower body looks too bulky for a fast bowler.

how frequently Naseem Shah is getting injured, I don't think his cricket career can be extended.

His lower body looks too bulky for a fast bowler.
Lol didn't had any injury for more than a year. When you play a fast bowler all 3 formats this is bound to happen

Any further update on Naseem, how long will he be out for?
Nothing yet.

My understanding is that he is virtually rules out and only a miraculous recovery will see him take any part in the tournament.

He is the best young fast bowler in world cricket at the moment. He was almost unplayable in the recent Asia Cup. Unfortunately, he got injured and now will miss the World Cup that would be a HUGE blow for team Pakistan.

Is there even the slightest chance that he will be available for the Australian tour in Dec?
My understanding is that it could be anything from 2 to 4 months to recover from this sort of injury.

The details from PCB have as usual been very limited. All depends on if he needs surgery.

If naseem was slightly taller he would be even more potent. Great player with elite tier potential. He can become the next spearhead to carry the torch from shoaib akthar. He can be what asif was supposed to be although i do believe Asif was the greater talent.
If compare ODI, Asif is no where near Naseem. In fact, Asif is not worthy to be ranked as ODI bowler

If compare ODI, Asif is no where near Naseem. In fact, Asif is not worthy to be ranked as ODI bowler
no that's not true! Asif was one of the best bowler of that era accross formats.

Naseem is on the right track to be one of the great but u cant compare him with Asif.

no that's not true! Asif was one of the best bowler of that era accross formats.

Naseem is on the right track to be one of the great but u cant compare him with Asif.
Please quote some of Asif's ODI achievements ( I am sincerely not aware much)

Now Pakistan's bowling appears quite ineffective with just the absence of one Naseem Shah.

We used to be referred to as having the most dangerous bowling attack which was going into this world cup but now look how ordinary they have became.

Now Pakistan's bowling appears quite ineffective with just the absence of one Naseem Shah.

We used to be referred to as having the most dangerous bowling attack which was going into this world cup but now look how ordinary they have became.
The bowling was all about the 30 overs of pace (Naseem, SSA and Haris). Babar also failed to get a proper 4th pacer added to that list. He kept Shadab and nawaz in the team. Now with Naseem out, the whole pace strategy is done and dusted. Naseem is crucial.

Naseem has gone for tap so not the huge difference. Where have the reserves gone though?!

Pakistan - a different team with this young man in the XI.

Such a shame that he's not made this World Cup.

Sadly though, it was an injury waiting to happen.

Pakistan - a different team with this young man in the XI.

Such a shame that he's not made this World Cup.

Sadly though, it was an injury waiting to happen.
Yup but not having anyone on the bench to take his place is also a worry. We kept wasim Jr with the team for last 2 years but he learned nothing. Hassan ali making another comeback and just returning from injury as well. We gave Zaman Khan chances only on the basis of 1 psl season. We have no planning or anything

Shaun Tait was the best bowling coach for Pakistan. Someone who knows the pitfalls of being a fast bowler and got the best out of what is now apparent, an average bunch

Good addition to the coaching staff for Quetta Gladiators for PSL.

--------------------------------------------

ANNOUNCEMENT — Quetta Gladiators appoints Former Australian quick Shaun Tait as Team Bowling Coach.

Back