[EXCLUSIVE] "The best of Mohammad Hasnain is yet to come": Shahbaz Choudhry

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Shahbaz Choudhry, a renowned fast-bowling coach based in the UK, has worked with top cricketers like Tymal Mills, Mohammad Ali, and, most recently, Mohammad Hasnain. After joining Choudhry's 'SpeedCamp' last year to recover from an injury, Hasnain's improved performance has been noticeable.

In the ongoing Champions One-Day Cup in Faisalabad, the right-arm pacer who has taken 14 wickets at an average of 16.9, has been instrumental in leading the Panthers to the final.

In an exclusive interview for PakPassion, Saj discusses with Shahbaz the intricacies involved in pace coaching, his work with Hasnain, and the factors behind Pakistan's pacers' consistent injuries.

The topics he discussed in this interview include:

Experience with International Players: Shares his expertise gained from working with top cricketers like Tymal Mills, Mohammad Ali, and Mohammad Hasnain.

Transforming Mohammad Hasnain: Discover how Shahbaz helped Hasnain regain form after injury, leading to 14 wickets at 16.9 in the Champions One-Day Cup.

Unlocking speed potential: He reveals techniques to increase bowling speed, debunking common myths and sharing proven methods.

Pakistani bowlers' pace conundrum: Explores reasons behind Pakistani bowlers' loss of pace over time, and potential solutions.

Injury prevention strategies: Analyzes factors contributing to Pakistani pacers' injuries and offers expert advice on prevention.

Embracing Unorthodox Bowlers: Discusses benefits and challenges of working with unique bowling styles.

Advice to young fast bowlers: Valuable insights and practical tips for aspiring fast bowlers to optimize performance and longevity.

Watch full interview here:

Last edited by a moderator:
The change in Mohammad Hasnain fortunes is remarkable and quite visible. Lets also send Shaheen Afridi to spend time under Shahbaz Choudhry tutelage. If this could do wonders for Hasnain then could work for Shaheen also.

He is a domestic player, who only performs in domestic games . Will get smashed in international. We have seen him in international. He is not worthy of international status. Let him stay in domestic for next 5-6 years

The change in Mohammad Hasnain fortunes is remarkable and quite visible. Let’s also send Shaheen Afridi to spend time under Shahbaz Choudhry tutelage. If this could do wonders for Hasnain then could work for Shaheen also.
Hasnain is just like Chacha. Only performs in domestic

Hasnain needs to play 2-3 seasons of first class cricket especially 4 day cricket. He needs to reduce his focus on T-20 Cricket

I am not convinced- he hurries no one and i know its a weird thing to say but for me he doesnt get swing he gets away drift. Lets hope this version is better than what i have seen of him

I am not convinced- he hurries no one and i know its a weird thing to say but for me he doesnt get swing he gets away drift. Lets hope this version is better than what i have seen of him
Agreed with the drift part , the ball starts swinging the moment it left his hands making much each easier for the batter to see where it will swing.

I hope what Shahbaz is saying is right because Hasnain has definitely looked like an improved bowler in the ongoing One-day Cup and hopefully he will continue to shine in the domestic circuit so let's see what the future is for him.

Hasnain should of been included in the test squad as we need pace in our line up.

He needs the freedom to run in and bowl quick which test cricket affords.

A captain plays a key role in shaping an express bowler and a spinner.
He isn't quick. He doesn't hurry anyone. Pace is about the perception of the batsman and guys bowling 84mph hurry batsman than he does.

He isn't quick. He doesn't hurry anyone. Pace is about the perception of the batsman and guys bowling 84mph hurry batsman than he does.
I m sure shane watson said he was bowling 150 ks in the nets at Quetta Gladiators.

Shahbaz has said from the tests carried out on his bowling if his rhythm is off his pace drops however after injuries and the tweak in the run up to approach slower at the crease he was better and more consistent.

He s bowled well in the champions cup and should be given a chance in tests.

Sirajuddin and Ali raza look decent as well.

The PCB not using speed guns in the champions cup is farcical.

I m sure shane watson said he was bowling 150 ks in the nets at Quetta Gladiators.

Shahbaz has said from the tests carried out on his bowling if his rhythm is off his pace drops however after injuries and the tweak in the run up to approach slower at the crease he was better and more consistent.

He s bowled well in the champions cup and should be given a chance in tests.

Sirajuddin and Ali raza look decent as well.

The PCB not using speed guns in the champions cup is farcical.
I was very excited when he 1st come but it quickly became obvious that no one got hurried by him even though the speed gun was showing 90mph+. It's not as if the speed guns were faulty, it's just that his speed wasn't creating the perception needed in the eyes of the batsman. In addition, his movement isn't really swing, it's more of a drift which any batsman of note should be able to play. I hope the work done has improved him because the decline of Naseem do to being overweight and unfit and SSA losing his zip, has opened up a spot for a strike bowler.

Hasnain should play at least 10 FC games so that he can have a fitness for 4 day games , he always had the talent to play test cricket more than any other format , he get to lift the ball from hard length and get movment which can be ideal for test cricket

He has certainly looked look in this Champions Cup where he took 14 wickets in 5 matches with a decent economy rate as well which suggest that the time he spent with Shahbaz has certainly helped him to improve.

Yet another example of a Pakistani cricketer having to look abroad for help rather than seeking help from a PCB appointed coach.

This tells you a lot about some of the people who are working as coaches in Pakistan cricket.

I was very excited when he 1st come but it quickly became obvious that no one got hurried by him even though the speed gun was showing 90mph+. It's not as if the speed guns were faulty, it's just that his speed wasn't creating the perception needed in the eyes of the batsman. In addition, his movement isn't really swing, it's more of a drift which any batsman of note should be able to play. I hope the work done has improved him because the decline of Naseem do to being overweight and unfit and SSA losing his zip, has opened up a spot for a strike bowler.
The real question that needs to be asked is why are so many of our bowlers breaking down and who are the people responsible in the various roles in the medical department taking home big pay days and delivering nothing courtesy the PCB.

Hasnain should play at least 10 FC games so that he can have a fitness for 4 day games , he always had the talent to play test cricket more than any other format , he get to lift the ball from hard length and get movment which can be ideal for test cricket
Does he want to play tests?

Does he want to play tests?
Hey, I can confirm that Hasnain wants to play test cricket. His first conversation with me was about finding ways to make his bowling more efficient; he understood that he was exerting (and losing) a lot of energy while bowling and that his previous approach wouldn't be sustainable for long-format bowling.

In the past, he has told me that he found red-ball cricket beneficial for his game development. He's committed to playing the full FC season in Pakistan this year.

Pakistan has a wealth of talent like Hasnain that just stagnate due to inferior infrastructure, support mechanisms and nurturing.

I always wonder how the likes of Ihsanullah, Hasnain, Zaman Khan and Wasim Jr would develop in Australia or England etc.

Imagine Jofra Archer if he was on the Pakistan setup.

Pakistan has a wealth of talent like Hasnain that just stagnate due to inferior infrastructure, support mechanisms and nurturing.

I always wonder how the likes of Ihsanullah, Hasnain, Zaman Khan and Wasim Jr would develop in Australia or England etc.

Imagine Jofra Archer if he was on the Pakistan setup.
The institutions aren't any such thing. They are in their present form just scams to provide jobs for people that are well connected ie Naqvi et al.

Player of the tournament Hasnain! And thanks Shahbaz as well.

Mohammad Hasnain, after winning the Champions One-Day Cup 2024 final, said in the post-match ceremony:

“I want to give credit for my performance. I was injured recently, so I worked hard on my rehab with Dr. Javed Mughal in England; then, after that, I worked with bowling coach Shahbaz Choudhry (in the UK). Our team’s coaches, Zafar bhai and Umar bhai, I worked a lot with them, and they all really supported me.”

He is improved but not by much , still lacks control over his length and some times line as well and still can't bowl yorkers even if his life is dependent on it. His off stump channel line and length combine with outswing was always dangerous and he has better control over it now and can bowl inswinger as well and that's about it.

If he plays 10 FC this season then I reckon he will be ready for test cricket as it's doesn't require him to bowl yorkers more often.

You’ve seen the results; now watch the process.

Muhammad Hasnain went from forgotten to unstoppable.

Check out the Wrist of Fury documentary to see how SpeedCamp transformed his game:

He is improved but not by much , still lacks control over his length and some times line as well and still can't bowl yorkers even if his life is dependent on it. His off stump channel line and length combine with outswing was always dangerous and he has better control over it now and can bowl inswinger as well and that's about it.

If he plays 10 FC this season then I reckon he will be ready for test cricket as it's doesn't require him to bowl yorkers more often.
Why is it so tough to learn/bowl a yorker?

He will need a good yorker when playing LOI.

Hasnain definitely looked an improved bowler but I am not gonna vote for him to be rushed back into the side after this tournament. He needs to show consistency first.

Hey, I can confirm that Hasnain wants to play test cricket. His first conversation with me was about finding ways to make his bowling more efficient; he understood that he was exerting (and losing) a lot of energy while bowling and that his previous approach wouldn't be sustainable for long-format bowling.

In the past, he has told me that he found red-ball cricket beneficial for his game development. He's committed to playing the full FC season in Pakistan this year.
Hello. Thank you for that interview.

The clips from Speed Camp were very insightful.

There's always a possibility of a fast bowler falling back into older habits because of muscle memory .

How long does it usually take for a fast bowler to "bed" in the shortened run up, lower run up speed and stride pattern assuming that Hasnain continues to religiously do his drills ?

Back