[EXCLUSIVE] 'The message about importance of fielding needs to come from Coaches, Captains and Selection Committees': Julien Fountain

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Dive deep into the intricacies of fielding as we bring you an exclusive interview with the renowned fielding coach, Julien Fountain, in collaboration with PakPassion!

From the secrets behind exceptional catches to the mantra that 'Fielding Is Not Just A Natural Thing,' Fountain shares his wealth of knowledge in this enlightening conversation.

Get ready for an inside look into the world of fielding techniques, training methodologies, and the mindset that transforms players into exceptional fielders. Whether you're an aspiring cricketer or a fan looking to understand the art of fielding, this interview is a must-watch.

Could it be as simple as that?

==

Julien responding to Saj's question on Pakistan's fielding woes:

"I think to call it rubbish might be a bit harsh. I think it comes down to a number of factors. It's not a black or white kind of answer. I mean, every international team obviously works very hard on their fielding. Pakistan is no different; I know they work super hard on the field. Your question would then be, why on Earth do we drop catches? The answer to that is a little bit more complex than just "oh, they can't catch" or "oh, they can't field." There's a lot more to it, and you have to understand all the different factors involved.

So, for example, you can take any of those players and run a catching practice, and I guarantee that they will catch 95 to 100% of catches. They will catch pretty much everything. And, so, yes, there may be some technical issues; however, it comes down to – I'm sure you've heard the phrase – cricket is a very much a mental game, and I think Test matches above all are supremely mental. It's a huge, huge mental undertaking, and I think the best way to sort it out would be the same process that you go through as a batter. You have to be able to switch your concentration on for a short period of time, be completely 100% committed to that ball at that moment and understand all the different technical elements that might be required of you. So, you have to turn that on in your brain; you have to be physically ready, and then you obviously have to execute if needed or not, and then you have to be able to switch it off again, so you don't get overloaded with fatigue.

No humans can concentrate solidly for a two-hour session; you have to be able to switch it on and off. In the same way, if you talk to any elite batter, they will tell you they don't concentrate from the moment they step out over the line, over the rope, to the moment they step back off the rope. They do it in bites, in small chunks, and they'll turn that concentration on; they'll give it 100%. Nothing else, nothing disturbs them, and then they'll turn it off. That's why you see batters, you know, they'll laugh and joke occasionally with each other because they're in that downtime, that concentration downtime because you have to have that. You can't solidly stay in that concentration period; If you do, your head's going to explode."

Unless our players take fielding drills seriously they can't enhance their standards. Most of the time we have seen our players take these drills too casually.

Unless our players take fielding drills seriously they can't enhance their standards. Most of the time we have seen our players take these drills too casually.
Not only are they too casual but so poor too in such sessions. Trust me Pakistan can never win a significant Tournament or series unless our players give their 100 % in the fielding area.

Very cool. I always like interviews that explore the mental elements of the game, because those are transferable skills that people can employ in their everyday lives too.

I think what I would have also found interesting to know is what he thought about the positions where the keeper and slips were standing. There was a lot of chatter in the commentry about how Rizwan and the slip cordorn were standing far too deep. I'm sure the coach would have relayed this back to Rizwan, yet their position never changed. I think a couple of chances were missed because of this. So why wouldn't they amend their position?

Yes I think it was Brad Haddin who said that their fielding drill sessions lacked intensity when he walked past the Pakistan camp. Clearly, there is something to it.

So, for example, you can take any of those players and run a catching practice, and I guarantee that they will catch 95 to 100% of catches. They will catch pretty much everything. And, so, yes, there may be some technical issues; however, it comes down to – I'm sure you've heard the phrase – cricket is a very much a mental game, and I think Test matches above all are supremely mental

Babar Azam - case in point.

Quite frankly, the fielding in recent times has become an absolute abomination, even compared to Pakistan's atrocious record. I think the blame should be put on the coaching stuff and the revolving door of inbalance in terms of members of the board. However, the players and especially the so called "leaders" should own up and take some responsibility for these horrendous displays of kalabazi. I think Rizwan should own up and realise that he has role in condoning this behaviour. If he wants to stay for the betterment of this team (which clearly he does not and shouldn't be in the squad in the first place), then he should take our prodigious sons like Saim Ayub and Umair Bin Yusuf aside and impart some wisdom to them. Come to think of it, I don't think he should, it would probably make their fielding worse. But this once again highlights the things pakistan are missing. Leadership. Responsibility. Intent. This is the time and situation that would suit a charismatic leader like Sarfaraz who would lead these youngsters on a much more righteous path.

It has now become a recurring theme in Pakistan's defeats now. PCT must fix it asap or keep suffering.

In recent times Pakistan's fielding improved when Julien and Steve Rixon were the fielding coaches.

They have a no-nonsense attitude and pushed the players out of their comfort zone and it reaped its rewards.

Sometimes you feel as though our players have forgotten that they’re athletes. They’re being paid to represent their nation, the least they can do is take care of their nutrition and fitness.

Azam Khan could eat any spinner alive for breakfast, but, surely he must feel a bit of embarrassment knowing that out of the hundreds of players to have represented Pakistan, he’s the fattest on the list.

Now, that doesn’t mean being fit makes you a good fielder, just take a look at Shan Masood’s fielding in the recently concluded test series, he’s the fittest player in the country, but he’d leak more runs than someone like Sharjeel.

Sometimes you feel as though our players have forgotten that they’re athletes. They’re being paid to represent their nation, the least they can do is take care of their nutrition and fitness.

Azam Khan could eat any spinner alive for breakfast, but, surely he must feel a bit of embarrassment knowing that out of the hundreds of players to have represented Pakistan, he’s the fattest on the list.

Now, that doesn’t mean being fit makes you a good fielder, just take a look at Shan Masood’s fielding in the recently concluded test series, he’s the fittest player in the country, but he’d leak more runs than someone like Sharjeel.

It's true that being fit doesn't make you a good fielder. But it certainly helps. I remember Kohli speaking in an interview and saying that one of his reasons for getting super fit was so that his fielding would improve.

He said something like, "Being fitter helps me get to the ball a fraction of a second faster, and so I have a better chance of taking a catch or saving a boundary for my country." I want to see that type of mindset and determination from our guys.

It's true that being fit doesn't make you a good fielder. But it certainly helps. I remember Kohli speaking in an interview and saying that one of his reasons for getting super fit was so that his fielding would improve.

He said something like, "Being fitter helps me get to the ball a fraction of a second faster, and so I have a better chance of taking a catch or saving a boundary for my country." I want to see that type of mindset and determination from our guys.

To be fair, Virat Kohli isn’t that great of a fielder. Good in the slips but he’s not someone that’s known for his ground fielding or his catching (not including slip catching).

He’s probably on par with Babar Azam in the field…however I do agree that being fat isn’t going to help with your ground fielding.

You only have to watch Pakistan and you can spot the guys who clearly don't enjoy fielding.

I can imagine them being a pain to coach at fielding practice and that's why they show little improvement in fielding.

He is absolutely wrong here, no coach, committee or captain can influence you to do well in fielding. Fielding is not something which comes overnight through pep talk, it is habit and it's all about consistent practice. In current times, players from different countries train themselves to be super fit and flexible which Pak players lack.

I saw Pak vs Nz WC game live, trust me I didn't see a single dive from Pak players. If the ball is within their 2-3 ft reach, they will stop it, otherwise they would just let it go without putting effort to stop.

To be fair, Virat Kohli isn’t that great of a fielder. Good in the slips but he’s not someone that’s known for his ground fielding or his catching (not including slip catching).

He’s probably on par with Babar Azam in the field…however I do agree that being fat isn’t going to help with your ground fielding.
On par with Babar Azam ? This is insane !

Virat ground fielding is good but he also has habbit of dropping some catches both at slip or any other postion. He can take any Blinder but also can dropped any Dolly .
Virat has super flexible and athletic body, he has taken so many blinders which once could only dream of.

Virat did it today against Afghanistan in the 3rd T20I. There's no way Babar can pull that off.

20240117_215717.png

1705512507488.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
New players, old players, young players - the vast majority look hopeless in the field and not comfortable fielding.

This is a mindset and one that needs sorting out.

Even the junior teams players look like they don't want to field.

I've not watched a lot of the Under 19 World Cup so far, what's the Pakistan fielding been like so far?

Back