[EXCLUSIVE] "We have to get on the front foot and take the game forward": Jason Gillespie

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Jason Gillespie faced a baptism by fire in his first Test series as Pakistan's head coach, with the team suffering a 0-2 defeat at home against Bangladesh.

Now, as Pakistan gears up to take on England in an upcoming home Test series, the former Australian pace bowler joins Saj to discuss the recent Test series loss, his vision for Pakistan's style of play, Babar Azam's form, Shan Masood's captaincy, and much more.

Key Highlights of this interview:

Thoughts on Test series loss against Bangladesh: Gillespie shared his views regarding the team's abysmal performance in the series against Bangladesh and highlighted the shortcomings in his side's approach.

Opinion regarding different Pakistan players: His views regarding Babar Azam, Shan Masood, Shaheen Shah Afridi and Naseem Shah.

Plans regarding improvement of Pakistan pace attack: Shared valuable insights and plans to restore the pride of Pakistan pace attack.

Shared insights regarding upcoming England Test series: The former Australian pacer and Pakistan red-ball coach shed light on team's preparation for the upcoming Test series challenge against England on home turf.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do hope he's not been too disheartened by the outcome of the series against BD.

I do hope he's not been too disheartened by the outcome of the series against BD.
His disheartening doesnt matter. Its all about the patience level of the PCB bosses. A loss to England may see him out and we might see Waqar/Saqi return as coaches.

Jason Gillespie would be disappointed that he has inherited a team that can't even look threatening at home. Let's see what happens in the England series now as last time PCT got whitewashed.

I wonder if his conversations with the players and what he reveals in public are different. I hope he is tough with the players behind the scenes. I read somewhere he was not happy with the team trainer and physio Cliffe Deacon.

Jason Gillespie would be disappointed that he has inherited a team that can't even look threatening at home. Let's see what happens in the England series now as last time PCT got whitewashed.
The least he can do though is to push for sensible team selections. Both him & Gary have been everything but sensible.

On what basis…is Shaheen back in the squad for first test.. Last time..when Shaheen was dropped from second test…Gillespie had said that we have pinpointed few things for Shaheen to work on…but going by his performance in Champions Cup…it doesnt seem like he has improved even a bit… Shaheen was amongs the most expensive bowlers in this tournament.

I wish this intr iew was done, after squad was announced for test series, so that relevant questions could be asked to him, regarding selection

Even Naseem doesnt look fully fit and in rhythm… but both are there in squad for first test

On what basis…is Shaheen back in the squad for first test.. Last time..when Shaheen was dropped from second test…Gillespie had said that we have pinpointed few things for Shaheen to work on…but going by his performance in Champions Cup…it doesnt seem like he has improved even a bit… Shaheen was amongs the most expensive bowlers in this tournament.

I wish this intr iew was done, after squad was announced for test series, so that relevant questions could be asked to him, regarding selection

Even Naseem doesnt look fully fit and in rhythm… but both are there in squad for first test
Because those are the only 2 bowlers Pak has the others are Hamza, Ali, Jamal lol 😆 😂 🤣

Pakistan doesn't have a factory of fast bowlers rather they have a factory of churning out trundlers now.

Strange to see Shaheen in the squad again after Jason rested Shaheen in the last series and pointed out some problems in his bowling.

Not sure if this is the same front foot JG was talking about, TBH it looks like a back foot to me atm. and the game is looking like going in backward direction.

I like Gillespie.

He's an honest guy who wants the best for Pakistan cricket.

However my biggest concern is that he has come into a melting pot of politics, back-stabbing, player power, uncertainty and a very average group of players.

Pakistan red ball coach Jason Gillespie during commentary at Eliminator 1 match between Lions and Stallions:

“I learned a pretty good lesson as a coach in the first Test against Bangladesh when Shaheen Afridi’s wife was due to give birth during the Test. My initial thought was for him not to play that Test and spend time with his family. Family first is a cornerstone of my beliefs. To his credit, Shaheen wants to play all the time; he’s wonderful and plays so much cricket. He was so keen to play, so in the end, we decided we would let him play. They welcomed their son during the Test, and in hindsight, I looked at it and thought I should have made that call and allowed him to have that important family time.”

England is volatile batting side so there is always hope to try and dismiss them cheaply.

If Pak bowlers can step up, this can be a competitive series.

Pakistan red ball coach Jason Gillespie during commentary at Eliminator 1 match between Lions and Stallions:

“I learned a pretty good lesson as a coach in the first Test against Bangladesh when Shaheen Afridi’s wife was due to give birth during the Test. My initial thought was for him not to play that Test and spend time with his family. Family first is a cornerstone of my beliefs. To his credit, Shaheen wants to play all the time; he’s wonderful and plays so much cricket. He was so keen to play, so in the end, we decided we would let him play. They welcomed their son during the Test, and in hindsight, I looked at it and thought I should have made that call and allowed him to have that important family time.”
So why was he called back for 2nd test and then sent back

So why was he called back for 2nd test and then sent back
As jason said, Shaheen just wants to play every game. That is the only reason for his downfall as he just wants to play blindly without working on his short comings.

Jason Gillispie had an interview on PCB Podcast. This is what he talked about in this interview.​

QUESTION: The series against England is less than two weeks away. How excited are you?

JASON GILLESPIE: Well, Test cricket is exciting, isn’t it? And to play against a team like England, it certainly is exciting. It’s also a great opportunity to play in our home country here in Pakistan. We feel we match up quite well against England, but we also recognise that they’re a very good cricket team and we need to play really well. So, our focus is going to be on playing disciplined, consistent Test cricket and staying in the game.

If we stick to our disciplines and remain patient, the results will come.

QUESTION: Pakistan lost 3-0 to England two years ago and recently suffered a 2-0 defeat against Bangladesh. What does the team need to do to reverse this trend?

JASON GILLESPIE: We showed glimpses of quality in the Test series against Bangladesh, where we were really driving the game forward. We played some excellent cricket, both with the bat and the ball. The issue was that we didn’t sustain it long enough. When we allowed our opponents to get into the game, they capitalised and pulled ahead. That’s where we let ourselves down.

So, what we need is a bit more ruthlessness. When we’re ahead, we need to stay ahead and make sure we really drive home that advantage.

That’s the main takeaway from the Bangladesh series. There was some very good work done, but when we had a bad hour, it really set us back. We need to minimise those poor periods and maximize the good ones.

QUESTION: Why did Pakistan struggle to maintain momentum in the two Tests against Bangladesh? What’s missing from the team?

JASON GILLESPIE: As I mentioned earlier, it’s about being ruthless when you’re ahead. Once you gain the advantage, you have to find a way to maintain it and not let the opposition back into the game.

To be fair, Bangladesh played very well during certain periods, and they wrestled the advantage back from us.

So, we need to ensure we don’t leave the door open for our opponents. We must shut that door and stay well ahead.

It boils down to being disciplined, patient, and ready to strike when the opportunity presents itself. When we see the gap, we need to go for it and capitalise on those key moments.

QUESTION: Do you have the players capable of addressing these gaps and cashing in on those important moments?

JASON GILLESPIE: I really believe we do. There’s been a lot of discussion about the squad - whether we should make changes, bring certain players in, or take others out. But I’m a big believer in continuity and in backing and supporting players.

We’ve got many fine cricketers in Pakistan, and for this series, we had some really good discussions as a selection group. We debated honestly and openly, and ultimately, we decided to back and support our players and those already around the squad.

Yes, there may be the odd change depending on conditions, but we streamlined the squad to avoid having too many players just sitting on the bench. We want them playing cricket and putting their best foot forward.

There’s domestic cricket going on and we believe there are opportunities for players to keep fine-tuning their game and getting performances on the board. That way, if a selection opportunity arises, they’ll be ready to take it, having had some cricket under their belts.

Part of our thinking was also logistical. It’s difficult to service 17 players during a day’s play, especially with limited facilities. So, we felt the players would be better served playing domestic cricket rather than just sitting around.

QUESTION: Kamran Ghulam and Mohammad Ali missed out on selection. What was the thinking behind the team selection?

JASON GILLESPIE: After the selections were made, they were communicated to the players, and I followed up with further communication. I let them know that if they wanted to have further conversations, my door was open. The players understand that.

Look, all players are disappointed when they miss out. I’d be surprised if they weren’t. But what I’m learning is that the players understand my philosophy regarding selection. We want to back and support players. Of course, if performances are not at the required level over a prolonged period, we may consider making changes.

I’m relatively new to this role and I’ve only been involved in two Test matches. That’s not a big enough sample size to make long-term decisions on players. I’d rather show my support and backing for them at this stage.

We’ll look to manage our bowlers, given the amount of cricket coming up across all formats. So, we may see some changes here and there with the bowlers. But with the batting group, I want to show faith and provide support.

If we reach a point where we feel a change is necessary, we’ll address it. But for now, we’re sticking to our policy of backing the players. They’ve shown their quality, both at the Test level and domestically. They just need to be given the opportunity to perform.

Test cricket, in general, has its ups and downs. But these players have demonstrated over time that they are very capable and I want to give them that backing - not only from myself as a coach but also from the selection panel.

QUESTION: Brook scored 468 runs and Duckett 357 in the 2022 series, but England will be without fast bowlers Anderson, Wood, and Robinson, who shared 25 wickets between them and created opportunities for Leach to take 15 wickets. How could their absence benefit Pakistan?

JASON GILLESPIE: You mentioned three quality international cricketers, and we respect their absence. However, we can only prepare to play against the players that England has selected. While some of their players might be a bit inexperienced, they’ve shown that they can perform at the Test level.

We need to ensure that we are as well-prepared and focused as possible to go out and deliver our best. We're playing at home and we believe that we match up well against England. We’re excited about the opportunity.

We know it’s going to be a great challenge, and we’re really looking forward to it. I’ve spoken to the players over the last little while and they love playing Test cricket for Pakistan. They take pride in representing their country and want to inspire the Pakistani supporters. They’re excited to be playing Test cricket against England - that’s a wonderful challenge.

As an Australian in the Pakistan camp, I also enjoy playing against England. So, I’m very excited and I know the players are looking forward to getting stuck into camp after a brief break. They’re eager to prepare for this Test series.

QUESTION: Why are we playing back-to-back Tests in Multan?

Jason Gillespie: The reason we’re playing a couple of Test matches back-to-back is primarily logistical. As you mentioned, several venues in Pakistan are undergoing renovations in preparation for the ICC Champions Trophy next year, which is really exciting for the country and for world cricket. The PCB has rightly prioritised ensuring that those facilities at the major stadiums are ready to go.

This has created a situation with limited options. Ultimately, we decided to play in Multan because Rawalpindi was unavailable for some convention reason in mid-October. Logistically, this seemed like the best solution and I believe it received the green light from the ECB.

Everyone understands the challenges faced by the administrators; it’s tough to work out schedules and get everything right. I applaud everyone for making this happen.

Now that we know where we’re playing, we just need to get on with it and prepare as best we can for the challenges of this Test series.

QUESTION: Abrar Ahmed and Noman Ali will have pivotal roles in the Multan Tests. Your thoughts?

JASON GILLESPIE: We wanted to give ourselves options. I’ve never been to Multan, so I’ll be arriving with fresh eyes to assess the facilities. I’ve communicated with Tony Hemming, the head curator, who has provided feedback on what we can expect.

We want to ensure that all bases are covered regarding skill sets. We thought it might be beneficial to include another spinner in the extended squad, which led us to Noman, who is a vastly experienced spinner.

QUESTION: Looking ahead, how crucial is this series for Pakistan cricket, its top players, and other stakeholders?

JASON GILLESPIE: Everyone wants to see Pakistan performing strongly - no one more than the head coach. If the team isn’t performing, the spotlight turns to the head coach and attention falls on players, particularly those who may not have performed as well as we would have liked.

I appreciate that. I’ve been around cricket long enough to understand how it all works and how the media operates.

My focus, however, is on ensuring that as a team, we are nailing our processes. Are we executing consistently? Are we being disciplined? Are we moving in the right direction? Are we laying the foundations to play consistent cricket - not just now, but in the future? This is where consistency of selection comes into play, along with our preparation and research on our opposition to ensure our preparations are spot on.

All these factors will contribute to our progress and help us play better cricket. We cannot predict the future or the results. What we can control is how we approach our work, how we prepare, how we communicate with one another, and our work rate in the lead-up to the Test match. This includes allowing our players some important downtime now to rest and spend time with their families - giving them a break from cricket to refresh.

They recently participated in the Champions Cup tournament and had a couple of Tests against Bangladesh as a buildup. We know what lies ahead, with three Tests against England on the horizon. The schedule is quite hectic. So, part of our preparation involves recognising the need for a small window of rest and relaxation. I want the players coming in fresh and ready to go for the camp leading into the Test series.

QUESTION: Have you, Gary Kirsten and David Reid spoken with the key players? How are they feeling ahead of the series?

JASON GILLESPIE: The players are excited; they understand that they need to perform better. They appreciate the backing and support they’re receiving at the selection table.

They understand they’re professionals and know that performances are their currency. We’re in a professional sport and environment, and they are well aware of all that.

The overriding emotion is one of anticipation and excitement. It’s another opportunity for them to wear the badge on their shirt and represent Pakistan. They’re very enthusiastic and I share their excitement. I know all the support staff are eager and ready to get started in this Test series.

We know it’s going to be an exciting series with a lot of challenges. We will have to work hard and play disciplined, consistent cricket, but I believe they are energised by that. They are looking forward to showcasing their talents and entertaining their fans. Our players want to make their supporters proud and inspire them.

I was incredibly proud of the players at the connection camp; the guys spoke from the heart about what it means to play for Pakistan and how excited they are. There are significant and positive things happening with this team. We need to exhibit some patience.

These players are very, very talented cricketers. We just need to give them the backing, love and support to show them that we’re right behind them. It’s an exciting time.

QUESTION: Our cricketers idolise former Test cricketers, and when they hear positive comments from them, they grow in confidence. Your thoughts?

JASON GILLESPIE: I fully understand that former players are often asked for their opinions in the media because people want to hear from the legends of Pakistan cricket - these great, wonderful cricketers who have represented Pakistan with pride, just like the current players.

In my short time here, I’ve noticed that when a former player offers compliments or positive comments about current players, it makes a significant impact. All of these current players are part of an exclusive club. Not many people have represented Pakistan in Test or one-day cricket, especially in Test cricket.

They belong to this unique group of Pakistan representatives who have worn the green cap through hard work. So, when a current player hears positive remarks in the media, they stand a little taller. They think, “My hero just said I was a good player and is looking forward to watching me bat or bowl.”

The smiles on their faces say it all. They love it; these are the players they grew up watching.

I’ve always believed, and I’ve seen this worldwide, that former players in the media have a responsibility. They have a choice regarding how they want current players to perceive them. The current players idolise them and when they express positive sentiments, I know the current players truly appreciate it.

QUESTION: As an Australian and Ashes winner, how eager are you to win this series?

JASON GILLESPIE: Look, I’m an Australian, and I obviously played cricket, representing Australia and enjoying playing in England. That was a wonderful experience.

However, I’m here as the head coach of Pakistan. If there’s anything I can share with the boys that might help them when playing against England, I will certainly do so.

It’s going to be a great series, and I’m really looking forward to it. I urge everyone to get behind the boys and support them. They’re working hard, excited and want to make us proud. I’m really looking forward to getting out there.

QUESTION: Finally, your thoughts on “Bazball” and who starts as the series favorite?

JASON GILLESPIE: It’s very clear how England approaches their cricket. I don’t particularly like the term “Bazball,” but they do play aggressive cricket. We’ve seen them evolve their game and that’s how they want to play. We will play our way, striving to be a consistent and disciplined team that hangs in there and strikes at the right moment to drive the game forward and exploit gaps. That’s our strategy.

We want to challenge our opposition as well. When opportunities arise, we’ll look to take them on, whether with the bat or the ball. This makes for a fascinating series, and it’s really exciting.

A lot of people are writing us off, and that’s okay - that’s fine. It will only motivate our boys a little bit more. We’ll go out and do our jobs as best we can, and hopefully, the results will take care of themselves.

Even a draw in one game will be considered a victory for Gillespie.

The selection of swing bowlers bowling 80 odd mph on Pakistani pitches is puzzling and a recipe for disaster which is what we got.

Dizzy should be insisting on have an out and out pacer in the line up.

The selection of swing bowlers bowling 80 odd mph on Pakistani pitches is puzzling and a recipe for disaster which is what we got.

Dizzy should be insisting on have an out and out pacer in the line up.
What is more puzzling is the selection of Shaheeneven though JG said he was rested in 2nd test against Bangladesh so that he can work on his short comings + due to the birth of his child.

Gillespie will be pretty nervous as England is better than Bangladesh and there could be another whitewash waiting for him as a coach.

What is more puzzling is the selection of Shaheeneven though JG said he was rested in 2nd test against Bangladesh so that he can work on his short comings + due to the birth of his child.

Gillespie will be pretty nervous as England is better than Bangladesh and there could be another whitewash waiting for him as a coach.
The bowling line up is inexperienced so Shaheen and Naseem have to play alongside Jamal and Abrar as front line spin.
Saim , Saud and Salman Ali complete 7 bowling options.

Jamal at 8, Shaheen at 9, Naseem at 10 and Abrar at 11 strengthens the lower order.

We cant afford 4 NO 11 s.

Batting deep is our best option with the players selected.

I like this new cliche of 'taking the game forward'.

Still wondering though what Pakistan has done in the last many years as innovation to take the game forward? We play the most outdated brand of cricket which is even below associate level.

I like this new cliche of 'taking the game forward'.

Still wondering though what Pakistan has done in the last many years as innovation to take the game forward? We play the most outdated brand of cricket which is even below associate level.
That is why Jason said that we need to get on front foot because atm we are only moving in the direction opposite to what modern cricket is.

The thing with being in the front foot though, opposition can bowl a short ball barrage at you and make you go back on the backfoot.

He seems to have gelled well with the system of PCB

OwHGH89.jpg

pjSZIux.jpg

Back