"Experienced players should be preferred over those who've performed in 1 or 2 games": Shahid Afridi

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
"Experienced players should be preferred over those who've performed in 1 or 2 games": Shahid Afridi

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Shahid Afridi "Babar Azam will be the one who has to lead the team in the middle and will be responsible for the performance of the team. Therefore, his suggestions should hold more value during the selection of the squad" <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/1372194396356157443?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 17, 2021</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Shahid Afridi "Experienced players should be given preference over players who have performed in just one or two matches. An experienced cricketer is more likely to succeed when given an opportunity at the international level" <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/1372194898380738564?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 17, 2021</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

==

"The fact that relations between Chief Selector, Head Coach and Captain are not good should never have come out in the open"

"I feel that when it comes to selection matters, the role of the captain is most important because it is he who has to lead his team and take the fight to the opposition in the ground; It is he who has to face the media and so the pressure on him is already a lot and he also has to concentrate on his own performance"

"If Babar Azam is to continue leading Pakistan in all three formats then he should have the same power as the selection committee has"

"This can be worked out as its not a huge deal but things should not come out in the open like this"

"I have said this before and I say it again that I don't understand the criteria behind selection for the Pakistan side as boys who have just done or 2 good performances (are selected)"

"So much investment has been done on Naseem Shah and other bowlers who are no where to be seen as they have been replaced by unknown bowlers"

"Persist with bowlers on whom you have made so much investments, instead you bring in some bowler who had just performed in 1-2 games and then later he is discarded and not to be seen again"

"Let me say about PSL that its a well-known Pakistan brand and is a matter of honour for us"

"When you hold such an event for a big brand like PSL, you must have a plan B but I did not see that"

"You know the sort of situation this world is going through and it is quite possible that COVID-19 could be detected in 2-3 players so the question is - what was your plan B in order to cover this eventuality? I did not see a plan B from PCB for the PSL"

"I feel that PSL should not have been cancelled, the overseas (goray) players who wished to leave, would have left; those with COVID-19 should have been quarantined, and maybe some would have stayed back - and there are ways of dealing with this situation"

"During PSL, I called over Babar Azam, Mushtaq Ahmed, Mohammad Akram and Arshad Khan to my hotel room and asked to come up with an idea of an association which could, side by side of PCB, provide annual support to all our deserving sportsmen - Inshallah I will provide an update on this soon"

Last edited:
Are you, Sami, Gul and S Tanvir still available? Misbah wants you.

"So much investment has been done on Naseem Shah and other bowlers who are no where to be seen as they have been replaced by unknown bowlers"

"Persist with bowlers on whom you have made so much investments, instead you bring in some bowler who had just performed in 1-2 games and then later he is discarded and not to be seen again"

I'm guessing he's referring to either Dhani or Arshad Iqbal.

Looks like a full on two sided war. Dhani must be feeling real bad with so many legends and the captain attacking him before he even started

I'm guessing he's referring to either Dhani or Arshad Iqbal.
Arshad has proven himself.

He should be referring to the pace all-rounder with same name as the chief selector. Along with the pacer from Larkana.

Looks like a full on two sided war. Dhani must be feeling real bad with so many legends and the captain attacking him before he even started

It's unprofessional to say the least coming out and dogging a selection over a handful of players, whereas majority of the picks have been justified.

There needs to be room for some sort of experimentation.

Mohammad Wasim Jr. is a shocking selection!

Why? Who are these great successful players we have left out to accommodate him? He may or may not be successful but our results have been average to poor for a decade, so why not throw some darts and hope that some hit the bullseye. Quite frankly, if Babars suggestions are to be believed, then that would worry me more than any selection by MW
A young captain should be looking to mould a new team rather looking back at useless failures who achieved bugger all.

Never been a fan of this experience over inexperience theory.

If they are good enough, they should play.

My only concerns are when players are thrown into international cricket without having shown enough in domestic cricket and expectations are then too high.

We should learn from the mistakes we made with Naseem Shah.

Last edited:
I see lots of thread in PP about issues with new players getting chance vs Zim.

If you don't play new players against Zim then when will you play them? Will you play them in Aus against Aus?

I don't have any clue about the quality of players, but I always find it confusing seeing Pakistan insisting on playing the main team even against Zim. You have to put some new players against weaker teams and try out new players in T20 bilateral. It's meant for that.

How come so many ex-players are bothering to comment on something like players selection for Zim tour?

The guy can bat a little and bowls fairly decent, need to see the series to properly judge him but he's certainly a good lower order hitter.

Why? Who are these great successful players we have left out to accommodate him? He may or may not be successful but our results have been average to poor for a decade, so why not throw some darts and hope that some hit the bullseye. Quite frankly, if Babars suggestions are to be believed, then that would worry me more than any selection by MW
A young captain should be looking to mould a new team rather looking back at useless failures who achieved bugger all.

His run up has a problem, it’s not smooth enough

His run up has a problem, it’s not smooth enough

1 guy though, might as well experiment a little see what he's all about. However, Wasim's thought is right that the lad can hit as well so might be useful down the order. Overall the Babar has more than enough resources in his hand.

Just shows the level of IQ among our players.

Big reason why our team under performs majority of the time is because these guys have low cricket iq.

In an ideal world you should be inducting players with more experience to international cricket and I have raised this point few times as well however, considering the talent gap we had from the last gen of players like Amir, Junaid, Umar Akmal, Nasir Jamshed, Raza Hassan, Ahmed Shehzad, Hammad Azam etc where none of them became what was expected of them by the selectors, we have to look at it from other perspective as well and realize that Pak cricket had to move towards quick fixes and some solutions when the talent crises was at its peak in WC 2015 and in 2016 initially PSL gave some sort of breathing space.

Obviously there should be balance but, sometimes this quick fix works as well in an effort to achieve some quality like Pak was able to do in the form of Shaheen who is now one of the best white ball pacers in the world and our premier young pacer who was inducted into national after just one FC match, 4 not much impressive List A matches and few PSL matches. Nobody raised a finger regarding this as he developed and adjusted quickly to two formats of international cricket.

There can be and could have been guys like Ehsan Adil, Zia Ul Haq, Ahmed Bashir as fill the gap arrangements and have mentioned their names before as well who have domestic experience but, the same pacers are not rated that highly by the very experts and even posters on PP. On the other hand I cant think of many players in batting which could have been included reasonably experienced domestic players in the white ball cricket (Saud Shakeel has been included in ODIs).

So not exactly sure from where will those experienced players are supposed to appear from. Yes sometimes the early induction is overdone but, majority of the times its because of lack of other options in those roles mainly in the white ball cricket. In an ideal world all these young inductees should be coming after couple of full seasons but, lack of options have been a big issue.

I have created atleast couple of threads targeting the same issue and one of them was regarding the options as well which can fall into the category of decent domestic experience for international cricket however, with some recent inductions I can completely understand the lack of options and lack of quality available.

In the end considering everything I dont think any of the side is completely wrong but a good balance will have to be targeted to achieve success. Playing a lot of low quality experienced domestic players wont work and at the same time inducting every young talent straight to the national team isnt right approach as well. For next 2-4 years Pak cricket will have to walk on this thin rope without tilting either ways too much and by then the current gen of players which is going reasonably well will possibly minimize the extreme fast tracking.

By his logic, selection of some "16 year old" Afridi was wrong, some 25 years ago in Kenya.

I'd prefer a 22 year old with 1 or 2 phenomenal performances over a 32 year old with 10+ years of experience but mediocre performances .

Afridi would not have played if experienced players were kept playing..

Its the Pakistan raw talent (not all) that shows glimpses of talent; our experienced players are worst leeches and Misbah is epitome of it

This feel good of beating c grade South Africa will be over soon, once Misbah lands in South Africa

Why was this ruckus not made when Misbah was selecting teenagers for a tour in Australia, and actually ended up playing them?

Where was all this talk then? Goes to show Misbah is immune to criticism due to his ‘perceived’ status, when really this man deserves to be knocked down every chance anyone can get.

It’s sad when an honest man like Wasim comes into the job and every Tom, Dick and Harry is laying into him for doing his job, while Misbah has gotten us humiliated on three overseas tours with no criticism from the same slimey media personnel/ex-cricketers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why was this ruckus not made when Misbah was selecting teenagers for a tour in Australia, and actually ended up playing them?

Where was all this talk then? Goes to show Misbah is immune to criticism due to his ‘perceived’ status, when really this man deserves to be knocked down every chance anyone can get.

It’s sad when an honest man like Wasim comes into the job and every Tom, Dick and Harry is laying into him for doing his job, while Misbah has gotten us humiliated on three overseas tours with no criticism from the same slimey media personnel/ex-cricketers.

There are powewful Misbah fans in IK

can someone counsel IK, misbah is not made for this role

How afridi himself got a chance to play for Pakistan?? I guess someone was injured and he was drafted in. Then despite failures and below average performances he was stuck with because of his one performance. Should have more sympathy for young prospects.

Shahid Afridi speaking today:

"I have faced many top fast-bowlers in my life but I have never felt so much pressure as what I feel when I am behind a microphone"

"All of you gave me a lot of love but you also used to get angry when I got out early; I know exactly what was said about me then but I used to cover my shortcomings with my bowling and fielding"

"COVID-19 is everywhere, its in the air as well, PCB tried their best but I don't think they should have postponed PSL"

"Things should changed with time and I find that Mohammad Wasim is a good person and I feel that all selection decisions should be based on merit but at the same time there should be some criteria for selection"

"You invested a lot on players but they are nowhere to be seen; Players are being selected for the Pakistan team based upon one 1-2 good performances - I dont think selection should be so easy"

"I had never seen a university before as cricket was everything for me, but I am Inshallah taking admission in this university and will study alongside all of you; It is a matter of pride for me"

"Cricket has always played an important role in relations between India and Pakistan; I feel that cricket should be kept away from politics; I always say that India cricketers always enjoy themselves when they come to Pakistan, and in the same way Pakistan cricketers enjoy themselves in India"

"So relations can improve if they want to - if there is a will, there is a way"

"I have always supported Sharjeel as he is a match winner and his innings can win games for Pakistan but, the criteria for fitness needs to be the same for all players"

"Azam Khan is also a good cricketer and Pakistan does not have a hard-hitting batsman like him who plays at that position in the batting line-up, and if he pays a little attention to his fitness then he can play for Pakistan"

Back