"Fakhar Zaman and Sharjeel Khan should be Pakistan’s openers in T20 cricket" : Shahid Afridi

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
"Fakhar Zaman and Sharjeel Khan should be Pakistan’s openers in T20 cricket" : Shahid Afridi

Speaking on his YT Channel:

“Everyone has their opinion but I think that Fakhar Zaman and Sharjeel Khan should be Pakistan’s openers in T20 cricket. Even if one of them clicks, we will win the game inside the first six overs"

“I’m not happy with Fakhar Zaman’s batting position. I don’t know who has told him to bat at number five or six because he has played as an opener throughout his career. Our team needs an opener like him who can score as many runs as possible in the first six overs"

“No, he [Azam Khan] should not be part of the side right now. He doesn’t have the required form and fitness. He needs to work really hard on them and especially his fitness"

Misbah’s fault for not letting us see Sharjeel and Fakhar open. Instead we have 2 accumulators at the top who can’t change gears.

Silly from Afridi.

Pakistan needs openers who can provide a solid start consistently, especially on low scoring UAE pitches in the WC. Babar-Rizwan is perfect for that.

Fakhar and Sharjeel combo is a blockbuster . Pakistan fans would definitely love to see that

No wonder we gave the worst pefomance at world t20 under him.

Under misbah, pakistan figured out a great strategy and that was to use your two best batsmen at the upper order just so that powerplay advantage could be taken and the players who like to build innings could take their time.

Having babar and rizwan in middle helped no one as the runrate would slpw down if we got a fast start.

Also, sharjeel khan isnt consisstent and his fitness is terroble.

Fakhar zaman is a hitter, in t20 whether he does it as opener or at 3 down doesnt matter.

Even hafeez is an opener, but you cannot adjust everyone in the team you have to look at your strengths and what is suitable.

Rizwan and babar have done well as openers but yet we will find people have issue with this because their favourites dont get to play

Fakhar and Sharjeel combo is a blockbuster . Pakistan fans would definitely love to see that

? How so? Just because they are hitters?

Even in t20 cricket you need sensibility, especially in the powerplay overs.

Having hitters like fakhar and sharjeel also means that you could be 3 down in the pp and than expect your inning building players to revive who than take their time.

The benefit of babar and rizwan is that as they stay at the crease they end up scoring more runs and the runrate improves.

Now to ask for Sharjeel also is a bit silly.

Doubt they will get that wish. Fakhar could well open though.

Yeah I guess one of the most dynamic cricketers in the history of Pakistan doesn’t know what he is talking about...

Speaking on his YT Channel:

“Everyone has their opinion but I think that Fakhar Zaman and Sharjeel Khan should be Pakistan’s openers in T20 cricket. Even if one of them clicks, we will win the game inside the first six overs"

“I’m not happy with Fakhar Zaman’s batting position. I don’t know who has told him to bat at number five or six because he has played as an opener throughout his career. Our team needs an opener like him who can score as many runs as possible in the first six overs"

“No, he [Azam Khan] should not be part of the side right now. He doesn’t have the required form and fitness. He needs to work really hard on them and especially his fitness"

Totally agree. Pakistan is currently blessed with 2 most aggressive openers (Sharjeel & Fakhar) they have ever produced, yet first one is out of team and second one would not be played as an opener. :facepalm: Horrible planning

I don't think Fakhar Zaman and Sharjeel Khan would work in UAE. They need pace on the ball and you won't get that in UAE.

I don't think Fakhar Zaman and Sharjeel Khan would work in UAE. They need pace on the ball and you won't get that in UAE.

I don’t think Australia will change the Warner+Finch combo, or England will change Roy and Bairstow combination just because it’s UAE

Sharjeel
Fakhar
Babar
Rizwan
Hafeez
Malik

That is a solid batting unit. Sharjeel needs to be in the squad, he is in form.

That doesn't mean it will be successful.

They will stick to their guns. And even if one of the two guns fires, your side will be in a winning position, especially in potential low scoring chases.

Finch+Warner
Gayle+Lewis
Rohit+Rahul
Roy+Bairstow
Guptil+Seifert

These are the sides that are going for the win. Look at the tanks they are sending to open. What is our response? Babar and Rizwan?

The issue is that if Babar and Rizwan are in the playing 11, the only suitable position for them is as openers and they have proved that they are good at it in different conditions. But they cannot be accommodated in the middle order as both of them take time to settle on crease which kills the momentum. And it's absolutely logical to use both of these players to gain momentum at the start of innings instead of killing the gained momentum in the middle overs.

Fakhar and Sharjeel are just unlucky in the sense that Babar and Rizwan are not drop-able from the team in current situation. That is why both of them should look towards the vacant middle order slots and try to grab them if they want to be in T20I team.

Rich, coming from a guy who played 4 pacers in a WC match against India in India

They will stick to their guns. And even if one of the two guns fires, your side will be in a winning position, especially in potential low scoring chases.

Finch+Warner
Gayle+Lewis
Rohit+Rahul
Roy+Bairstow
Guptil+Seifert

These are the sides that are going for the win. Look at the tanks they are sending to open. What is our response? Babar and Rizwan?

Babar and Rizwan are actually the batsmen who have proved themselves in the opening positions and they are the most important and classy batsmen in Pakistan team according to opposition. So yes, this is our response and it's not bad when we look at the T20I rankings of batsmen.

I like Babar+ Rizwan opening combo, it has worked so far (they have shown that they can go at a high RR if needed) and you shouldn't fix what's not broken.

The only concern is if these two openers get out cheaply somehow, then there is a lack of solid batsmen in the middle order. I guess that is where Hafeez and Malik come in.

In 2021, our batting line up will be:

Babar
Rizwan
Hafeez
Malik
Sarfaraz

My God we might as well try to win the 1999 cricket World Cup!

Who’s missing in this team? We should probably bring Azhar Ali in to bat at no.3, Faheem Ashraf wouldn’t be the worst at number 6 either

Still stats don’t lie. Look at the stats of rizwan and compare that to Sharjeel or Fakhar in the national team. Average of 48.40 at 129.09 to 22.55 at 133.11.

And about the fact you said that Rizwan is scoring because he got to many chances to open the innings. So you are blaming coaches because they gave a cricketer chances to proove himself??? Hahaha well my friend, you get chances because you deserve them. Rizwan was (still is) the best wicketkeeper then and he was already opening the innings in domestic t20 before he openend in the national team. Fakhar wasn’t performing in T20’s and Sharjeel had no substantial scores to make a case, so it was easy to give Rizwan a chance and boy did he grab that!

Make no mistakes, i am a big fan of Sharjeel and i think they should slot him somehow in but you can’t blame Rizwan for being a good player in Pakistan.

Both of them are smart enough to adjust. The power they bring to the table cannot be ignored. Even if one of them clicking means Pakistan will score big as both of them scores a lot more runs in less balls.

Fakhar was given amble opportunity to prove himself as an opener since 2018. He failed to prove himself as seen with his average of 21.

Sharjeel had his opportunity to be our main stay opener for the next half a decade in 2017, however it's pretty clear he wasn't serious about representing Pakistan when he choose to prioritise money over honour. Even now it's clear he isn't serious about representing Pakistan, as considering in the 3 years he was banned he could have at the very least worked on his fitness to improve his value as a cricketer.

The stats don't care about your feelings. Every modern game is becoming more analytical and so has cricket. Statistically, Babar and Rizwan opening pair are the best openers in IT20 at the moment and are Pakistan's best in it's history. They have chased Paks highest t20 chase, have made Paks highest t20 total, have Paks highest opening partnership and they have done that in the last year. It's absolutely phenomenal numbers! Anyone that wants obese fixer Sharjeel and Fahkar as openers are going by their perceived notion of big hitter but are ignorant of the way that t20 cricket has changed.

What would you say if Eoin Morgan or Dhoni had the same opinion?

I think it's embarrassing to compare the two vs Afridi on tactical nuances. Dhoni has been a master tactician and arguably the GOAT. Btw the match I referred to, Dhoni was the opposing captain. Just take a look at that to see the difference.

Asking because of ignorance and nothing else. Can anyone list the top #3 international innings’ for each of these two in the last 1-2 years or so?

Don’t get me wrong, but Afridi makes them sound like Jayasuriya and Gilchrist incarnates. Do they have it in them to live up to these expectations?

I think it's embarrassing to compare the two vs Afridi on tactical nuances. Dhoni has been a master tactician and arguably the GOAT. Btw the match I referred to, Dhoni was the opposing captain. Just take a look at that to see the difference.

I’m not comparing the two, you are just going emotionally overboard because Afridi hasn’t said something you agree with because Rizwan’s position is in question. I’m just asking, if Dhoni or Morgan randomly said the same thing, will you go emotionally overboard once again?

I wonder what happens if both rizwan and babar get out cheaply who will lift the game for Pakistan?

Fakhar and Sharjeel can be a destructive opening pair (both in ODI and T20). Afridi has a point.

Sharjeel isn't playing international cricket with Ramiz at the helm.

Regarding Fakhar, the thing is he takes a bit of time to get going as an opener. In SENA and faster pitches, he can find boundaries earlier on with the ball coming at the bat quickly but in UAE, teams are simply going to open the bowling against him with spin and he doesn't like to take on spin earlier on. He is at his best against spin when he is attacking it.

Afridi was never the brightest First pakistan need hafeez and malik

And now another beauty

A situation of 80 for 0 after 6 overs or 10 for 2 after 2 overs.

Asking because of ignorance and nothing else. Can anyone list the top #3 international innings’ for each of these two in the last 1-2 years or so?

Don’t get me wrong, but Afridi makes them sound like Jayasuriya and Gilchrist incarnates. Do they have it in them to live up to these expectations?
Fakhar Zaman is the only outright match-winner in this team, who can be guaranteed to have a good day and turn the tide towards Pakistan. His 189 vs RSA’s first choice bowling attack is quite possibly the one of the best knocks in ODI cricket.

That being said, Babar and Rizwan are our best opening partnership, so Fakhar and Sharjeel rightfully don’t get a look in as openers.

I am quite sure Afridi hasn't bothered to look at their recent outings leave alone analyzing how they bat on UAE kind of pitches.
Will be good for PCB if Afridi is put on mute by them.

Both of them are smart enough to adjust. The power they bring to the table cannot be ignored. Even if one of them clicking means Pakistan will score big as both of them scores a lot more runs in less balls.

The problem is teams will know how to ball to them. Sharjeel and Fakhar need pace on the ball to hit, if you take that away, they will struggle. Its either boundary or dot ball or wicket with these two.

A situation of 80 for 0 after 6 overs or 10 for 2 after 2 overs.

We can still be 10 for 2 after 2 overs with Rizwan and Babar, but we’ll never be 80 for 0 after 6 overs with them, and that’s the risk most teams are willing to take. Otherwise we’d see the likes of Root, Smith, Williamson opening.

Afridi thibks like a typical Pakistan fan.

Basing his opinion on perception and past performances instead of stats and current form.

We can still be 10 for 2 after 2 overs with Rizwan and Babar, but we’ll never be 80 for 0 after 6 overs with them, and that’s the risk most teams are willing to take. Otherwise we’d see the likes of Root, Smith, Williamson opening.

The difference is that England has Roy and Bairstow, two of the most destructive opening batsmen in the game.

With Roy and Bairstow, there are hardly any weaknesses apart from over-aggression, when they try to bludgeon a good ball instead of playing it on its merit.

Fakhar can't play finger-spin, Sharjeel can't rotate the strike, Sharjeel also struggles against left-arm pace, Fakhar struggles against the good-length ball by chopping it on or nicking it.

With Babar and Rizwan, you'll be at 40-0 on average and 60-0 on a good day, which is something I'd personally take if it means security at the top of the order.

The difference is that England has Roy and Bairstow, two of the most destructive opening batsmen in the game.

With Roy and Bairstow, there are hardly any weaknesses apart from over-aggression, when they try to bludgeon a good ball instead of playing it on its merit.

Fakhar can't play finger-spin, Sharjeel can't rotate the strike, Sharjeel also struggles against left-arm pace, Fakhar struggles against the good-length ball by chopping it on or nicking it.

With Babar and Rizwan, you'll be at 40-0 on average and 60-0 on a good day, which is something I'd personally take if it means security at the top of the order.

Jason Roy averages 24 in T20i’s, he’s not a better player than Fakhar and Sharjeel. Every batsman has a weakness, it’s just that whenever we play England we make their openers look special with our mediocre bowling.

Jason Roy is on par with Sharjeel and Fakhar, difference is that one is backed more regardless if he gets out early.

Yeah I guess one of the most dynamic cricketers in the history of Pakistan doesn’t know what he is talking about...

Trust me Afridi has one of the lowest cricketing IQs (and perhaps overall IQ) out of all the current and ex-players.

He even admitted he was not a good captain.

Trust me Afridi has one of the lowest cricketing IQs (and perhaps overall IQ) out of all the current and ex-players.

He even admitted he was not a good captain.

But saying Fakhar and Sharjeel should be Pakistan’s openers is a correct call. No one is going the Pakistan route, only Pakistan go this route.

Do you see Australia considering to open with Smith and Marnus, or India with Kohli and Rahane?

Rizwan and Babar have been Pakistan's most reliable batsmen in recent times. The guys who gave scored the bulk of the runs.

Jason Roy averages 24 in T20i’s, he’s not a better player than Fakhar and Sharjeel. Every batsman has a weakness, it’s just that whenever we play England we make their openers look special with our mediocre bowling.

Jason Roy is on par with Sharjeel and Fakhar, difference is that one is backed more regardless if he gets out early.

No, in terms of quality, Roy is far ahead of Fakhar and Sharjeel. Take a look at his ODI career and some of the knocks he has played.

Only Fakhar is actually comparable with good openers around the world, Sharjeel is nothing in front of Warner, Roy, Bairstow, de Kock, etc.

ECB have a different brand of cricket, PCB has a different one. Our management thinks that Fakhar and Sharjeel are not consistent enough for a top-order slot, though I would say that they should have tested the Fakhar-Sharjeel combination once.

The thing is; it's not Rizwan's or Babar's fault that they performed and took that spot as their own when the opportunity came to them.

Interestingly, Afridi wants to represent QG in PSL 7 but then he comments on fitness of son of QG's head coach. Moin is definitely not going to like it.

Regrading the openers, all the Pakistanis need to give it a rest. The openers are set and actually performing. Fakhar-Sharjeel combo is never tested. They had their chances but both failed to grab that spot.

But saying Fakhar and Sharjeel should be Pakistan’s openers is a correct call. No one is going the Pakistan route, only Pakistan go this route.

Do you see Australia considering to open with Smith and Marnus, or India with Kohli and Rahane?

Fakhar and Sharjeel arent a tried and tested combination
Lets be honest fakhar is lucky to still be in the squad His t20 performances have been poor over the last yr or so

The only good thing about pakistans t20 batting is it opening very successful combo and you want to change that

It doesnt make sense You dont change something thats working very well

Fakhar and Sharjeel arent a tried and tested combination
Lets be honest fakhar is lucky to still be in the squad His t20 performances have been poor over the last yr or so

The only good thing about pakistans t20 batting is it opening very successful combo and you want to change that

It doesnt make sense You dont change something thats working very well

Is it working well for the team though? Is Babar and Rizwan opening combo best for the team? Do we really need 2 accumulators at the top in T20’s? The difference between a player like Fakhar and someone like Babar in T20i’s is that one plays for the team, isn’t worried about personal milestones, doesn’t struggle to change gears etc, whereas the other you can’t say the same for.

IIRC, Bairstow and Roy were England’s opening pair, they did pretty well together but England still weren’t happy and brought Buttler up the order as an opener. They’re always looking to improve, even if the opening pair is doing well. They’re asking more from their players, but we’re settling for 2 accumulators without testing other combinations and not seeing if there’s better options.

You will usually see Rizwan get less than 10 runs in 15 balls. And then he will hit a six and a 4 to get a kick start. And then he will slow down for a bit and get to 40 off 35. And then a couple of boundaries to get to 50 off 40.

At some point along this process, the Shamis, Bumrahs, Cummins, Starcs, Jofras, Boults, Nortjes will knock him over. Sometimes he will survive.

At the end of the day, it’s cricket

I don't see a lot of international (or even domestic) innings where Fakhar or Sharjeel consistently play a 60 (35) type innings. Both of these players are highly inconsistent and they play high risk shots.

Fakhar was a sitting duck in PSL's UAE leg. I don't know where this fascination comes from that Sharjeel-Fakhar combo will be better than Babar-Rizwan combo. If we look at the stats, then Babar-Rizwan combo is the best opening combo in the world. And here the fans are complaining that they are not the deserving openers.

Why wasn't Fakhar allowed to open in the ongoing T20 competition is beyond me.. we have forced our middle orders to open the innings whereas openers are being asked to find ways to play in middle order..

plan of a genius

You play your best players at the top in t20s They face the most deliveries bat for the longest and hence have a bigger impact just like babar and rizwan are doing

Only some fans cant get the jist of it

You play your best players at the top in t20s They face the most deliveries bat for the longest and hence have a bigger impact just like babar and rizwan are doing

Only some fans cant get the jist of it

What nonsense

So Roy, Bairstow, Rohit, KL, Warner, Finch, Gayle, Lewis etc (all openers) are the best players in each team?

I guess England should open with Morgan and Butler

Also, Pakistan’s best and most impactful T20 batsman is Hafeez , not Babar or Rizwan regardless of how many runs they make batting at the top

Last edited:
Even after a year or so of facing all the b team bowlers of South Africa and England+ Zimbabwe, Mohammad Rizwan has a strike rate below 130. Babar is striking at 130 lool.

If Misbah ul Haq becomes the coach of Australia, you can expect him to make Smith and Labushange open.

If Misbah becomes the coach of England, he will make Root and Malan open.

If Misbah becomes the coach of India, you might even see Kohli and Pujara open.

Misbah gave Imam ul Haq a T20i debut as well. He is the architect of this opening combination of Babar+Rizwan, even though he had ample time to build the Fakhar+Sharjeel combination

Even after a year or so of facing all the b team bowlers of South Africa and England+ Zimbabwe, Mohammad Rizwan has a strike rate below 130. Babar is striking at 130 lool.

If Misbah ul Haq becomes the coach of Australia, you can expect him to make Smith and Labushange open.

If Misbah becomes the coach of England, he will make Root and Malan open.

If Misbah becomes the coach of India, you might even see Kohli and Pujara open.

Misbah gave Imam ul Haq a T20i debut as well. He is the architect of this opening combination of Babar+Rizwan, even though he had ample time to build the Fakhar+Sharjeel combination

Can you just stop with your nonsense facts to make your story and hate against Rizwan look good? Rizwan is striking at 140 in 2021. His career strike rate is lower because he played at number 6/7 in his first couple of years in internation T20.

You are always the first to comment and hate if rizwan played a slow inning, while your lover Sharjeel was on 15 of 23 balls couple days back and made eventually 25 of 26 by playing 2 hacks. His last inning was a duck also but haven’t heard you then??

Just stop man. It can not be changed and it is how it is. Accept it and come with something else.

Pakistan should stick to thier guns and Babar and Rizwan should open don't fix what's not broken

I’m not comparing the two, you are just going emotionally overboard because Afridi hasn’t said something you agree with because Rizwan’s position is in question. I’m just asking, if Dhoni or Morgan randomly said the same thing, will you go emotionally overboard once again?

If they or even Afridi were actually involved in Pakistan cricket then maybe the statement would have some merits. At the moment Afridi is just a fan like you and I with a lower cricket IQ, don't take his words seriously.

If they or even Afridi were actually involved in Pakistan cricket then maybe the statement would have some merits. At the moment Afridi is just a fan like you and I with a lower cricket IQ, don't take his words seriously.

So if you want Fakhar and Sharjeel to open for Pakistan= Low IQ

Whereas if you want Babar and Rizwan=Einstien IQ?

No issue with Fakhar opening but if Sharjeel plays for Pakistan again its the end of our cricket.

Being Fat, a fixer and being a hack is not a good combination for cricketers.

So if you want Fakhar and Sharjeel to open for Pakistan= Low IQ

Whereas if you want Babar and Rizwan=Einstien IQ?

No body is asking for Einstein level IQ, just some common sense. Rizwan and Babar have been our best openers in a very long time so common sense only dictates let's continue with that strategy as it's working very well. Fakhar/Sharjeel combo as explosive as it might be in your mind, hasn't been tested. So to try it out of the blue in a WC, just doesn't add up

Thats why Pakistan need aggressive openers like Sharjeel & Fakhar

You need 2 aggressive openers to take advantage of first 6 overs. There are only 2 fielders outside of circle in first 6 overs so you need aggressive openers who can hit out of circle so it can go for 4 or 6. This is not rocket science.

But Pakistan plays 2 accumulators (Babar and Rizwan) as openers. I knew this will eventually cost Pakistan and today we can see. You need aggressive openers like Sharjeel & Fakhar in those first 6 overs. Plain and simple.

I hope Pakistan selectors & team management to go back to basics and select and play 2 aggressive openers.

Babar & Rizwan bat slow opening up

now imagine them batting when we are 12/2 chasing 160

Zaman is hit and miss
and Shajreel is nothing special

they'd gel well every 1 out of 7 innings
not worth it

Happy days for all the anti Babar-Rizwan brigade.

Yes it's all the fault of Babar and Rizwan, the guys who set up a total of 176.

Not the fault of Fakhar who bottled the 18th over, not the fault of our fielders who missed multiple chances of both Wade and Stonis and definitely not the fault of Hasan Ali.

It's always the fault of Babar and Rizwan, all day everyday

Pakistan was short of runs. There is too much pressure on Pakistan bowling to always bail out Pakistan batting. One time Pakistan bowling perform a bit below their standard and Pakistan promptly lost the match.

176 was never a winning total. Australia were always going to get 20+ runs in 2 overs. 130 from 108 is a walk in the park.

Fakhar Zaman should’ve opened the innings to give a left right combination.

Pakistan have a very stable opening pair, the records show that. Hassan Ali, who was the weakling was badly exposed today and cost Pakistan the game... I share your sorrows similar to 2007, 1999 and 2011.

So we want a fat guy that fixes match and guy who has hardly scored a run to replace our 2 best T20 openers. Any other words of wisdom.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Their partnership is proven

Remeber whenever pak performs well with the bat, it's inevitable the opposition will do if its a team like Australia as the have far stronger batting line ups

Babar is okay, Rizwan was never going to work out specially at an ICC tournament.

Sure, scoring runs in group stages helped, it was more due to luck and fluke -- we batted 2nd, no pressure, dew, LOW SCORING matches too.

But, he was never going to help you win in crunch situations or against good bowling.

Australia had all their pace and even spin. He was clueless at the start and wasted too many balls up the order.

Then the hack Fakhar, who you'd expect to at least hack blindly, also failed vs. pace.

Malik is a proven failure for 20+ years, but it's above me how he got selected at the last minute -- we were destined to lose that very moment!

Sharjeel is super comfortable at dispatching pacers. Babar played a very well-timed innings too.

176 was never a winning total. Australia were always going to get 20+ runs in 2 overs. 130 from 108 is a walk in the park.

Fakhar Zaman should’ve opened the innings to give a left right combination.

Some posters were telling us this would be a winning total if Pak batted first .

Only scoring 3 runs in the 19th over was criminal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some posters were telling us this would be a winning total if Pak batted first lmao.

Only scoring 3 runs in the 19th over was criminal.

It's fine margins and it wasn't a bad total. The reality is that one the big hitters get in,no total is safe.

Fakhar should’ve opened with Asif Ali at no 3 if we were 90-1 after 10 then Babar Hafeez Malik being only 70-0 in the first 10 is poor it was a 190 wicket simply not good enough no matter how solid the openers have been.

Babar is okay, Rizwan was never going to work out specially at an ICC tournament.

Sure, scoring runs in group stages helped, it was more due to luck and fluke -- we batted 2nd, no pressure, dew, LOW SCORING matches too.

But, he was never going to help you win in crunch situations or against good bowling.

Australia had all their pace and even spin. He was clueless at the start and wasted too many balls up the order.

Then the hack Fakhar, who you'd expect to at least hack blindly, also failed vs. pace.

Malik is a proven failure for 20+ years, but it's above me how he got selected at the last minute -- we were destined to lose that very moment!

Sharjeel is super comfortable at dispatching pacers. Babar played a very well-timed innings too.

Stop watching cricket bc you know 0 about it. 176 is a gun score batting first. No other team got close to it on this ground.

I'd rather we didn't select the legend known as 'The Fat Fixer'.

Stop watching cricket bc you know 0 about it. 176 is a gun score batting first. No other team got close to it on this ground.

We just lost with an over to spare how was it a winning score? Against a minnow I agree it was a good score not the best teams ultimately we were exposed even in home conditions what will happen outside Asia?

Back