Farewell Makhaya Ntini!

*sallu*

Senior T20I Player
Runs
Post of the Week
People may not think so, but today is the farewell of a legend of the game.

Anyone with 390 test wickets is a legend.

Makhaya Ntini, a player of limited ability but supreme fitness made the best and at his peak, was fast and extracted extreme movement (mostly in to the right hander)

South Africa are already missing a 3rd pacer mainly due to the demise of Ntini.

Fabulous servant of the game, very patriotic, and one of the cricketers I admired when he was at his peak. Just felt he deserves a farewell thread.

Great player at his peak. Could bowl lots of overs with good pace.

Yup, I once heard a commentator say this guy could run virtually non stop all day at the same speed

One of the fittest cricketers to ever play the game and thats saying something

Yup, I once heard a commentator say this guy could run virtually non stop all day at the same speed

One of the fittest cricketers to ever play the game and thats saying something

African athletes are mostly the fittest athletes thb.

I think they are naturally built very strong and they are also determined sportsmen.

makhaya is a legend, he will sorely be missed, was lethal during his prime!!

he will always be remembered as a legend of the game, and a role model and figure of hope and freedom, for generation of africans and coloreds as well as all south africans to come. His presence and achievements on-field were like a healing catalyst to the painful memories of apartheid which the victims of apartheid still bear, though its history.

farewell makhaya!!

An icon.

I think he deserves myriad compliments for the doors he's opened for colored cricketers in South Africa through his fantastic dedication to the game.

a legend in every sense of the word.

his athleticism, his determination, his patriotism and his positiveness made him one of the true legends of cricket and the best fast bowler produced from south africa.

ntini you will be sorely missed....

Saw him bowl in England a few times and watching Ntini sprint into his delivery stride was a uniquely brilliant experience, simply for his boundless energy and the speed at which he ran in. It's something that doesn't come across on TV but his bustling approach was mesmerising.

Good bowler too. I'm sure he'll go on to do more for cricket in retirement.

126912.jpg

courtesy of : alexander joe - espn

He won me over when he said his favorite comedian was Mr. Bean in a cricketer magazine more than 5 years ago.

International cricket will be lesser without him.

An inspirational iconic figures bows farewell. Will be dearly missed by one and all. Thanks for the memories Ntini. Best wishes for a peaceful and prosperous future. The moment belongs to him. Has been a great ambassador for South African cricket and world cricket for that matter. A thread like this had to be coming and I'm glad I saw one.

ntini was one of my favorite bowlers i remember. i always loved how wide of the crease he use to bowl and his swing into the right hander made him a tough customer

he is still good enough to make into an indian xi. and can replace those crap 120km/h so called skill bowlers.

Makhaya Ntini is a true great of cricket,he showed such wonderful energy and spirit on the field,and was an ambassador off it.He is an icon,especially for young,aspiring,coloured South African bowlers.He has opened the door for many coloured cricketers to play for their nation.He will really be missed and I hope he opens some cricket academies in South Africa or goes into commentary.

Makhaya Ntini recently took part in this:

A group of international cricketers has set a new world record for the highest-ever match by playing at the top of Kilimanjaro, Africa's highest mountain, in Tanzania.

The teams included former South Africa fast bowler Makhaya Ntini and ex-England spinner Ashley Giles.

The game was played at a height of 5,730m (18,799 ft) in a flat crater just below the summit.

They played 10 overs each of a Twenty20 game before clouds stopped play.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-29375679

Here are some videos of the trip involving Ntini. He seems like such a character.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Pxfwbm46Ink" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RWYoRgSKmS8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VkojoWHpVew" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Great player, shame Pollock (in the past) and Steyn hogged all the limelight leaving none for him. You can really learn a lot about work ethic from players like Ntini.

He was world-class at home and mediocre abroad IIRC.

My main memory of him was the theatrical moment at Lord's when Flintoff was given SA some tap, went to drive Ntini and his bat burst asunder. Ntini held his arms out as though to say "Look at me, I broke the mighty blade!"

Loved his aggression and attitude but never had it to become truly worldclass. No swing/seam/control etc.

Guys please stick to the topic! Otherwise strict action will be taken!

Very good bowler who was lacking in talent but made up for it with a relentless attitude. On his day completely unplayable with the angle he created into the RH batsmen bowling wide of the stumps.

Still remember how he destroyed us in the 2006 Champions Trophy.

Yes, but we were very happy after restricting South Africa to around 210 I think and did manage to chase down 250+ vs SL in the first game. 89 was eventually a good effort because we were 6 down for 20. :sohail

Last edited:
Former South African fast bowler Makhaya Ntini was the second ethnically black cricketer to play international cricket for South Africa. He was not only the most unorthodox yet successful bowler of his era, but he was also an icon for black people, black sportspersons and black kids in his country.

While he seemed to possess few of the standard characteristics of a booming fast bowler, however, with his open chested bowling action and perfect short pitched deliveries, Ntini achieved almost 400 Test wickets that stands testimony to his genius.

Born on this day in 1977, he went on to become one of the most successful bowlers to have played for the South African national team. In an 11-year international career, he represented the Proteas in 101 Tests and 173 ODIs. The former pacer took 390 Test and 266 ODI wickets, and is an inspiration to an entire generation. He also played 10 T20Is and took six wickets in them.

He played alongside stalwarts such as Shaun Pollock, Jacques Kallis, Mark Boucher and Lance Klusener among others. And by the time he retired from international cricket, he was the then South Africa’s second highest wicket-taker in Tests with 390 wickets.

RELATED NEWS

Pakistan vs South Africa: Kagiso Rabada Becomes Eighth SA Bowler to Take 200 Test Wickets

'Shame on His Teammates' - Makhaya Ntini Finds Support in Darren Sammy

As the legend celebrates his big day, we look at five of his best bowling spells that made him one of the greatest bowlers to ever feature in the game of cricket.

2003: 10/220 vs England, Lord’s

The pacer etched his name in history books when he became the first South African to take 10 wickets in a Test at Lord’s. Ntini’s match haul of 10/220 (5/75 and 5/145) in 2003 resulted in an innings victory for the Proteas. He shared the Man of the Match award with Graeme Smith, who scored 259.

2005: 13/32 vs West Indies, Port of Spain

With his match haul of 13/132 (6/95 in the first and 7/37 in second innings) against West Indies at Port of Spain in 2005, Ntini added yet another record to his name. He also surpassed the great Hugh Tayfield s 13 for 165 to achieve the best bowling figures in a match by a South African in the longest format.

2006: 5/21 vs Pakistan, Mohali

The pace legend produced another lethal spell in the white bowl format to hand his side a crushing 124-run victory over Pakistan in a Group B match of the ICC Champions Trophy in Mohali, India.

2006: 10/145 vs New Zealand, Centurion

He claimed his second consecutive 10-wicket haul as South Africa registered a 128-run victory over New Zealand in the first Test. Ntini, took 5/95 in the first innings and claimed 5/51 in the second to finish with match figures of 10/145.

2006: 6/22 vs Australia, Cape Town

In the second ODI of the five-match series, defending 289, Ntini made it impossible for the visitors to chase down the target. He tore through the Australian line-up with a stunning 6/22 in 9.3 overs, his career best bowling figures guiding SA to a massive 196-run victory

https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/...ng-performances-for-south-africa-3929867.html

Very good bowler who was a fighter.

He is a great ambassador and role model and I wish him all the best in the future.

Have not watched him bowl but 390 test wickets is an impressive feat with decent average of 28 and 266 odi wickets as well.He had a good career I guess.

Wow thought he was a bit more recent but this was 10 years ago.

Anyone else felt he retired too early? He was a lionhearted Bowker.

Back