Female Education in NWFP

Zeenix

ODI Debutant
Runs
As usual Girls topped their respective boards in NWFP. A list of colleges (Govt) in the capital city Peshawar and the plight of the applicants show how much we have been investing in our education .

Jinnah College Peshawar

Total marks of Matric (10 Grade) = 900

Last Admission= 855

Total Number of Seats on Open Merit=450
Total Number of Seats on Self Finance=350
Total Seats 900

Total Number of Applicants a few more then 15000

Cost of Prospectus =500
Cost of Affidavit and Other documents=500

Marks of the Last Admitted Applicant =810 Percentage= 90%

Days required to successfully submit an application = 3

This is just one college. Peshawar has only 11 Govt girls colleges. Rest are private colleges with their monthly fees ranging from 2500 Rs to 4000. And well offcourse not everyone can afford to send their daughters.

With a large percentage of girls not able to get admission in Colleges, one makes it wonder whether its fair to blame the population for lack of female education (as well as education as a whole). Girls excel when provided with opportunities, however the opportunities are limited.

This also merits a question. While NGO's and international donors remain focused on primary education, why not the focus on higher education. What will primary education achieve if there is a dearth of higher education facilities. And how are we to expect the women to play a constructive role if there aren't ample opportunities for them..

Thoughts

Zeenix said:
As usual Girls topped their respective boards in NWFP. A list of colleges (Govt) in the capital city Peshawar and the plight of the applicants show how much we have been investing in our education .

Jinnah College Peshawar

Total marks of Matric (10 Grade) = 900

Last Admission= 855

Total Number of Seats on Open Merit=450
Total Number of Seats on Self Finance=350
Total Seats 900

Total Number of Applicants a few more then 15000

Cost of Prospectus =500
Cost of Affidavit and Other documents=500

Marks of the Last Admitted Applicant =810 Percentage= 90%

Days required to successfully submit an application = 3

This is just one college. Peshawar has only 11 Govt girls colleges. Rest are private colleges with their monthly fees ranging from 2500 Rs to 4000. And well offcourse not everyone can afford to send their daughters.

With a large percentage of girls not able to get admission in Colleges, one makes it wonder whether its fair to blame the population for lack of female education (as well as education as a whole). Girls excel when provided with opportunities, however the opportunities are limited.

This also merits a question. While NGO's and international donors remain focused on primary education, why not the focus on higher education. What will primary education achieve if there is a dearth of higher education facilities. And how are we to expect the women to play a constructive role if there aren't ample opportunities for them..

Thoughts

Why invest in any female education in the NWFP? Sooner or later these girls schools and colleges will be burned down by the Taliban any way.

^^ well it's good to take a step in the right direction rather then taking no step at all... just because you are scared of the Taliban...

Joseph K. said:
Why invest in any female education in the NWFP? Sooner or later these girls schools and colleges will be burned down by the Taliban any way.

Its not as if the whole of NWFP is being run by Talibaan. As things stand, only schools in Hangu and Swat are burned down, which is an active war zone. And also because Military forces use these schools as their bases.

Another thing, If you don't know the ground reality then don't bother to reply.

Zeenix said:
Its not as if the whole of NWFP is being run by Talibaan. As things stand, only schools in Hangu and Swat are burned down, which is an active war zone. And also because Military forces use these schools as their bases.

Another thing, If you don't know the ground reality then don't bother to reply.

You know too much, please enlighten us. Taliban are running around in Peshawar carrying guns, you are telling us that there is problem in only two districts. Any other way to cover the backs of these animals? Yes army is always wrong, they are always right. Why they burn down the schools? Because those schools are army's bases! Are girls' schools safer than the boys' schools? Are they more easily combustible? Any other excuse to justify the actions of your stone-age warriors? Ground reality, my ***. You started the topic, one of the two people who show interest in your long post gets the above reply. No wonder only one other person bothered! Go on reply to your own posts as you seem to know too much and love the sound of your own voice. I will stay away from this thread like everybody else.

Last edited:
^^^ now now ladies .. i think u guys are on the same side here .. no need for this.

Agreed with Zeenix, a primary education means little without continuation to higher education.

Also agreed with JosephK, if the law and order situation does not improve then its all pointless.

Hopefully the civilian government will try and expand the public uni system and at the same time reign in the fundoos.

Last edited:
Joseph K. said:
You know too much, please enlighten us. Taliban are running around in Peshawar carrying guns, you are telling us that there is problem in only two districts. Any other way to cover the backs of these animals? Yes army is always wrong, they are always right. Why they burn down the schools? Because those schools are army's bases! Are girls' schools safer than the boys' schools? Are they more easily combustible? Any other excuse to justify the actions of your stone-age warriors? Ground reality, my ***. You started the topic, one of the two people who show interest in your long post gets the above reply. No wonder only one other person bothered! Go on reply to your own posts as you seem to know too much and love the sound of your own voice. I will stay away from this thread like everybody else.

Touched a raw nerve did i. No, Talibaan aren't running around in Peshawar carrying guns, despite the fact that you would want to believe the contrary. Girls schools are burned only in Swat, and it isn't a popular move. Otherwise female literacy of swat wouldn't be that high.

NWFP isn't run by Talibaan, the people voted for a Declared secular party, unlike other political parties who carry the Islamic Label along with their secular agendas. It is your personal bias and ignorance that makes you think the opposite of what is the reality.

And Go through my post again. This was not about Swat or Hangu. This was about the difficulties faced by girls getting admission in colleges. You started the rant of Swat.

I suggested you stay away from this thread, If it is difficult for you to comprehend the fact that women in NWFP do get educated, and there are girls colleges and schools, and a vast majority of the people of the settled districts want their kids get educated.

Comparing schools burnt my prehistoric lunatics and miscreants in an active war zone to the difficult procedure of getting admissions in settled districts of the province is like comparing apples to oranges. Perhaps when you take out your tainted and biased glasses and read more objectively you'd find how out of order your post was.

Zeenix said:
Touched a raw nerve did i. No, Talibaan aren't running around in Peshawar carrying guns, despite the fact that you would want to believe the contrary.
I suggested you stay away from this thread, If it is difficult for you to comprehend the fact that women in NWFP do get educated, and there are girls colleges and schools, and a vast majority of the people of the settled districts want their kids get educated.

Comparing schools burnt my prehistoric lunatics and miscreants in an active war zone to the difficult procedure of getting admissions in settled districts of the province is like comparing apples to oranges. Perhaps when you take out your tainted and biased glasses and read more objectively you'd find how out of order your post was.

I have my views on education, specially on primary education but this thread is not the place for them. Just came back to resurrect a thread recently started by you which suggested that Peshawar was about to fall to the Taliban! Pray, tell us, was it just sensationalism or did you really believe in the truth of your post. In this thread you seem to suggest that the trouble is safely contained in only two districts, in another one you informed us that Peshawar was about to fall :( :( :(
http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=58399&highlight=peshawar

pathan girls usually sit at home after getting married.....so why should government or NGOs waste their resources on their higher education?

Back