GM Flare 909 or Newbery Krakatoa Players?

One isn't more powerful than the other, and the durability of the willow will come down to how you look after the bat (what balls you use etc) and how many grains it has. They also have different middle positions I think.

One isn't more powerful than the other, and the durability of the willow will come down to how you look after the bat (what balls you use etc) and how many grains it has. They also have different middle positions I think.

Nailed it there.

Yes, middle position of both are different. Flare being middish and Krakatoa being low.

Its how well you take care and middle the ball thats when you will get life and long life.

If I am correct according to Newbery Grading system Krakatoa Players is Grade 2 whereas Flare is Grade 1.

Personally I'd also go for Flare as it is better balanced bat overall.

I'd go for the flare personally as the middle is higher up which is good because I play on bouncy pitches (Qld, Australia), but I don't know much about Newbery at all.

I think you should look at what kind of pitches you play on most of the time (low bounce or high bounce), look at your current bat to see where you hit the ball the most and then also consider what shot's you most like to play (front foot, back foot, mix of both) and then make a decision on either the Krakota with a low middle, or the flare with a mid-high middle.

SPS is there top end bat which has best willow so it is Grade 1, so Players is Grade 2 and 5-Star being Grade 3 thats my finding..

this was taken of pro direct i might be wrong

Newbery Krakatoa Players Bat

The Newbery Krakatoa Players Bat is the newest edition to the 2010 Newbery bats range. Offering big edges and a huge profile that allows for superb performance.

The Newbery Krakatoa Players Bat has been constructed using grade one hand selected English Willow.

The large profile is positioned slightly lower then standard for super performance on slower, lower pithces. The blade has been bowed for maximum performance and the incurves have been added allowing a light balanced feel.

Langer, you got your Lavers mate?

CD, no not yet. Andy told me it is a 4 week turn around period for a new bat and that they would put some clefts in the drying cupboard to see which ones are best, which he said could take 2 weeks then he would send me some pictures. Once he sends me some pictures and I chose which ones I would like, I imagine the bat's will be made within the next day or so and then they will send wthem which will take a week or so to get to me, so not long to go now.

Last edited:
CD, no not yet. Andy told me it is a 4 week turn around period for a new bat and that they would put some clefts in the drying cupboard to see which ones are best, which he said could take 2 weeks then he would send me some pictures. Once he sends me some pictures and I chose which ones I would like, I imagine the bat's will be made within the next day or so and then they will send wthem which will take a week or so to get to me, so not long to go now.

Ah okay make sense.

Yes, Andy does email pictures of clefts. I remember him sending me email after email for my Lavers clefts :))

Ah okay make sense.

Yes, Andy does email pictures of clefts. I remember him sending me email after email for my Lavers clefts :))

Haha, well I make little mistakes in my emails and I can't just leave it as it is, so I often end up sending 2, 3 or even 4 more untill I get it right, ahaha (You will often see on custom bats that my posts are edited, and that is simply because I make little mistakes and I have to correct them). I'm probably pretty annoying, but I should get the pictures soon as the 2 weeks in the drying cupboard is tomorrow, so hopefully either Tomorrow or Friday I get some pictures.

I'm super keen to get them as my current bat has been on it's last legs for a while, and although it is actually still pretty good out of the middle, it is not good if you hit it slightly off that exact spot, so I cannot wait.

Last edited:
Haha, well I make little mistakes in my emails and I can't just leave it as it is, so I often end up sending 2, 3 or even 4 more untill I get it right, ahaha (You will often see on custom bats that my posts are edited, and that is simply because I make little mistakes and I have to correct them). I'm probably pretty annoying, but I should get the pictures soon as the 2 weeks in the drying cupboard is tomorrow, so hopefully either Tomorrow or Friday I get some pictures.

I'm super keen to get them as my current bat has been on it's last legs for a while, and although it is actually still pretty good out of the middle, it is not good if you hit it slightly off that exact spot, so I cannot wait.

Hahaha its all good, I guess we all become immature when it comes to equipments and bats because we get excited when they are about to come.

Your current bat? The old bat which you briefly spoke about in your bag review. You are getting copied to that? I thought you were going with Laver stock shape.

Hahaha its all good, I guess we all become immature when it comes to equipments and bats because we get excited when they are about to come.

Your current bat? The old bat which you briefly spoke about in your bag review. You are getting copied to that? I thought you were going with Laver stock shape.

More that I think of things at different times, so I have to resend them, ahah.

I have my first game on Saturday so if we bat first (2 day game so might not) I will have to use my old bat then as I have nothing else to use as I have sold my H4L (Too heavy), my SS (Rehandled and stickered by L&W then too light) and my Special Reserve (Middle too low, bought in their specials), but I am getting the standard Special Profile on the Reserve and Legend. Bat's are also being knocked in, so that will take a little bit longer.

Last edited:
More that I think of things at different times, so I have to resend them, ahah.

I have my first game on Saturday so I will have to use my old bat then, but I am getting the standard Special Profile on the Reserve and Legend.

lol :))

Ah okay, so both Legend and reserve are of same shape, did you get carbo handle and lamitoe as well or no ? I got that [carbo handle and lamitoe] on my Legend and they are main reason I don't plan to sell it.

But I love Laver and Wood's handle shape I think they have the best shape out there.

lol :))

Ah okay, so both Legend and reserve are of same shape, did you get carbo handle and lamitoe as well or no ? I got that [carbo handle and lamitoe] on my Legend and they are main reason I don't plan to sell it.

But I love Laver and Wood's handle shape I think they have the best shape out there.

Yes, exactly the same shape and weight (2lb 8.ozs), but the Reserve may be slightly bigger as it is a better cleft to work with. I said I would Ideally like the edges at a minimum of 30mm and a mximum of 35mm. I am not getting lamitoe or carbocane handle, just a regular oval cane handle.

Yeah, on my Special Reserve it was fantastic, but the middle was just too low for me to use.

Last edited:
Yes, exactly the same shape and weight (2lb 8.ozs), but the Reserve may be slightly bigger as it is a better cleft to work with. I said I would Ideally like the edges at a minimum of 30mm and a mximum of 35mm. I am not getting lamitoe or carbocane handle, just a regular oval cane handle.

Yeah, on my Special Reserve it was fantastic, but the middle was just too low for me to use.

According to Andy Reserve clefts are apparently low density hence you would get bigger edges.

My Reserve which is 2.8 has bigger edges than my 2.10 Legend which also has a lighter/carbo handle yet thinner edges compared to Reserve.

SPS is there top end bat which has best willow so it is Grade 1, so Players is Grade 2 and 5-Star being Grade 3 thats my finding..

SPS is grade 1+ and player is grade 1.
Before I bought mine, I sent an email two Newbery sales department and asked them.

SPS is grade 1+ and player is grade 1.
Before I bought mine, I sent an email two Newbery sales department and asked them.
Next time ask them where they buy their willow from as no merchant I'm aware of sells a grade called G1+.

There are no classes in G1 willow as SempreSami said its marketing term, I have seen G1++, G1+ and G1 and all three of these are marked as G1 by the supplier (JS Wright etc etc)

There are no classes in G1 willow as SempreSami said its marketing term, I have seen G1++, G1+ and G1 and all three of these are marked as G1 by the supplier (JS Wright etc etc)

I agree, and thats what i tried to say. But CD and SS said it better:11:

It's just a marketing term they reserve for the nicest looking willow yo.
So they've added a grade to the top.

Majority of other brands has their top grade as G1. So either Newbery get better looking willow than anyone else. Or their G1+ is everyone elses G1, and their G1 is everyone elses G2.

Do Newbery even state they use a Grade 1+ willow? I've only ever seen it mentioned on owzat's website, and Newbery aren't the only brand to have a bat with that grading on there.

Do Newbery even state they use a Grade 1+ willow? I've only ever seen it mentioned on owzat's website, and Newbery aren't the only brand to have a bat with that grading on there.

When I sent email and asked I was told SPS has been constructed using the very best grade one hand selected English Willow, some people call it G1 +

Krakatoa Players Bat has been constructed using normal grade one hand selected English Willow

G1, 2, or 3 krakatoa player have amazing ping.

Back