Has anyone on PP ever thought about Cricket as a career?

Saqs

Senior T20I Player
Runs
Post of the Week
Or are we all a bunch of tragics who have had to/were forced to focus on studies etc?

Would love to hear some stories about how someone manages to convince their desi parents to allow them to play Cricket for a living.

As for me, I'm an obvious tragic.

I live my life vicariously through all the young cricketers coming through the ranks.

I open regularly for Pakistan... in my dreams ofcourse

Well its my dream to be a one down batsman for Pakistan but that wont happen because my parents want me to become a doctor. So, I just watch cricket and talk about it all the time.

did ajmal really start at 30?

Can't remember but I think W63 put up the stats showing Ajmal's FC career and he barely played any matches through age 25-30.

He's been playing since his early 20s, 30 is when he became good :asif

Unlike most Indians, I'm a pace bowler for my local club.

As a child I used to be playing cricket all the time - any time I was not at school and there was some light to play, I was playing. Even after sun set the game would continue until the ball was not visible any more. I did not think about a career at that age, but I was a decent batsman for my age and loved to play endlessly without loosing my wicket.

I suffered from primary complex as a young boy and was frequently ill and was quite frail when I was young - so I frequently missed practice sessions and matches and I lost my spot in my club and school teams. By age 14, I had stopped playing any competitive or career deciding form of cricket. I continued to play cricket as a hobby till I was around 23, and since then I have rarely played cricket, though I continue follow cricket all over the world.

Trying my best to get into International Cricket. Played for UAE earlier and now trying for Malaysian Cricket team. Hopefully County Cricket soon too. Keeping in mind, studies first but I haven't really given up yet. :)

I had a dream,within a dream and within a dream ...:91:

First level of my dream was to be a cricketer...

In my second level of dream i was actually used to play for Pakistan..

And in the third level,i saw myself playing better than Saeed Anwar,Inzamulhaq and Yousuf...There was no limit of my imagination..i scored first double ODI hundred ( a decade earlier than Tendulkar)..I took first back to back hatrick in the history of the game..Johnty Rhodes was no where close to me as a fielder.....And i had more fan following than Afridi and Wasim...If i had played that quarter final in India i would have won it easily for Pakistan.....though my imagination was more adventurous than these achievements but i think it is enough to elaborate my dreams....

But actually,i played most of my cricket in street,though here i was actually quite good,it was difficult to get me out here......But then after playing some matches with cricket ball in a cricket ground, i hurt myself badly in my eagerness to bowl fast...that day i realized that i am a better student than a cricketer...
Matric exams in 2005 were the end of my illustrious street cricket career..:(

Played in streets. parks and then club. Wanted to become an allrounder who bats one down and opens sometimes and offers spin but ofcourse all that was put aside bcz my parents wanted me to have a more better career so i am now studying for accountancy.
So my future will be i will be an allrounder who can do both Audit and make balance sheets. I will open with a double entry and offer Audit advices to my clients. :facepalm: :facepalm:

Worse part of story if it wasn't cricket i wanted to be a historian or an archeologist due to heavy interest in history but that was rejected heavily ( pretty much as heavily as the interest) too.

Played regularly, first in Karachi then in the UK.

Had county trials and played 2nd XI cricket. For me it was always a case of if I make it great, if not no big deal.

I enjoyed my studies and it was a dream to become an accountant, which I did achieve. I know it's sad, but that was always my 1st priority.

I continue to play competitive league cricket and have recently been accepted as an MCC playing member. I can see myself playing league cricket for the next 10 years, which will take me to my forties, and then MCC and jazz hat cricket for the next few years.

I was lucky that my parents were cool with whatever I did as long as I was on top of my studies. They never said u have to become a doctor or engineer. They wanted me to do whatever made me happy. My dad was my coach, and even now if I am struggling with any aspect of my game, he is my 1st port of call.

Advice for kids wanting to play cricket at a high level. Always have a back up plan. I have seen too many ppl trying to achieve their dream of being a cricketer, failing and having shunned their studies are left in limbo.

I always wanted to be an all-rounder for Pakistan. A number 5 (RHB) batsman and a spin bowler (SLA) is what I wanted to be. But I have no hopes of getting into the team, especially now that I'm living in Canada. And then seeing the likes of Zulfiqar Babar not getting a chance for years really discourages me. And then my parents don't want me to become a cricketer either.

I always wanted to be an allrounder, RHB and Left arm Fast.

Though its not much hope when you`re in Norway:)yk) so I focused on Football instead an got partially successful, but has given up now to focus on my studies even though the way up top was closer than ever... :23:

i have played for hong kong U15 and U19 for 4 yrs ..i played in the U15 asia cup in malaysia in 2000..irfan patan was playing for india at that time ..he scored a century vs us

then i left cricket in 2004 because in HK cricket they dont pay u any thing ..broken dream :(

I was serious about it. I used to play on cement pitches, then one day I played a match on a real wicket and realized that I am just mentally not good enough.

To go for a career such as cricket, one has to fight with the parents in pakistan. So not that easy to do

I had a dream but it never happened but now my son is playing with my full support and inshallah he will make my dream come true he is in the county set up u11

I have loved cricket more than anything in my life, played for different clubs in my mid and late teens then was pressurized by parents to give more time to studies and that's it. After that only played occasionally, I still feel sad sometimes for not trying to become a pro cricket as i was told that I had talent even by the great shoaib malik(yes I am from sialkot)

Always have a dream,

Really want to be a Middle Order Btasmen for Pak but aint gonna happen. Parents want me to do MBA and continue on the family buisness

I have played test cricket for Pakistan, one of the reasons I joined was because some people were accusing me and calling me names, and saying I always failed. Even some of the people I paid couldn't clear my name so I joined in myself

Could of but the money weren't right :))
Nah seriously though I could have played county easily but was too lazy

Interesting to read the posts here from PP members, with the kind of challenges they have to face to pursue their dreams.

I have a different story, My parents have been really supportive of what ever decision i take in life, as a child i wanted to be a doctor, they obviously didn't say no to that, then as i grew up (still a child though) i wanted to be a cricketer, though it was a hidden passion, my dad although he doesn't know much about sports or cricket, tried to get me into teams. Well then i moved from India, and my passion for cricket never died, but i didnt play cricket as much as i used to in India.

The next chapter begins, in another country, a foreign land, where football is more popular than cricket. For 5 odd years i believed Cricket didn't exist in this country, (as a child) i thought because people didn't play cricket in the streets or because football was more dominating, i didnt find a chance to play cricket. But during those 45 minute Sports Lessons, 3 Lessons a year where we played cricket, or well messed about. I would come out with pride, and happiness. The others in my class have barely played cricket, yet i used to have the best time of my life, it may have been just 2 hours 15 minutes of my year, but that was enough for me to wait another year to get a chance. But more often than not it rained, so the lessons were shortened.

5 years later, The 2011 WC came by, watching the games, i realised, that my passion has not died, it was sleeping, Cricket for me was pretty much everything, and i took it more seriously. I started searching for opportunities to play, I joined a club, and well in the training, my performance was absolutely shocking, with the bat and the ball. Well, as a 16 year old, i was put to play with 13 year olds. But i worked on it and improved every time i went training, I used to ignore "what people would have thought about me" and still went to train. But one thing i realised is, "Opportunity only knocks at your door once" is all bullsh*. Opportunity doesn't come to you, you have to make that opportunity. Because when i believed I cant play cricket here, i barely played. But when i went out looking for the opportunity to play, i was given so many chances, I found people to play with casually, then they recommended me to another team. I slowly am reviving my passion for cricket, which was not dead. It was in Coma.

Today, i see people who start cricket at a very young age and are more talented that me, but I have faith in myself to go on, i may be in my late-teens, but Cricket is given preference, i have sacrificed a lot for cricket, going to pointless training sessions on the eve of my exams, because i dont want to loose a opportunity. Because i believe that maybe that one session could make the difference in my life. I may not be the most-skilled but i have the passion to make it work. I realise the hard work that is needed. As a Indian, i can say, Cricket runs in my blood. And in the last few years, i know i have come a long way, but the journey ahead is a bumpy one. One foot at a time, and im sure ill come close!

After reading the posts, now i am grateful to have such great parents who support me so much, even when i go completely against their will.

Last edited:
I played for my school...I was part of a runner up team which one won a tournament with 50 odd schools all over Andhra.....

And then I tried to get into the Under 17 team for my district...was selected in top 30..but never got a chance to bat...coz the one match I played we won with no wickets falling...then I never got a chance for next few matches...it was going no where...after 10 th grade..I had to move out of the area..so that is where it ended ..and then I moved out to USA !!!

Here in USA...I do play for small club..I am a regular in my team...decent player!!! but Sometimes I seriously think..if I tried stronger I could have gone somewhere....my team mate in the tournament I talked about earlier just went to Rajasthan Royals talent hunt session kind of a thing..and he said they "Looked" impressed..and he is awaiting an answer....and honestly he was not as good as I was..atleast back then when we played together!!!!

I play club cricket at my University. There is an Indian guy that bowls exactly like Glenn McGrath.

I have always been told that i have the agression of Shoaib Akhtar and pace of Bret Lee :p though i can be erratic sometimes. I could have gone on to play for Pakistan but i moved to the US as a kid.

I still play for clubs here but the competition is not good and many batsmen are just too scared to face any real fast bowling with the hard ball. But i am still in early 20s so i might go and give it another try in Pakistan to see if i can go anywhere. The chances are slim to none. But i am a developer so there is a back up already in place :D

Interesting to read the posts here from PP members, with the kind of challenges they have to face to pursue their dreams.

I have a different story, My parents have been really supportive of what ever decision i take in life, as a child i wanted to be a doctor, they obviously didn't say no to that, then as i grew up (still a child though) i wanted to be a cricketer, though it was a hidden passion, my dad although he doesn't know much about sports or cricket, tried to get me into teams. Well then i moved from India, and my passion for cricket never died, but i didnt play cricket as much as i used to in India.

The next chapter begins, in another country, a foreign land, where football is more popular than cricket. For 5 odd years i believed Cricket didn't exist in this country, (as a child) i thought because people didn't play cricket in the streets or because football was more dominating, i didnt find a chance to play cricket. But during those 45 minute Sports Lessons, 3 Lessons a year where we played cricket, or well messed about. I would come out with pride, and happiness. The others in my class have barely played cricket, yet i used to have the best time of my life, it may have been just 2 hours 15 minutes of my year, but that was enough for me to wait another year to get a chance. But more often than not it rained, so the lessons were shortened.

5 years later, The 2011 WC came by, watching the games, i realised, that my passion has not died, it was sleeping, Cricket for me was pretty much everything, and i took it more seriously. I started searching for opportunities to play, I joined a club, and well in the training, my performance was absolutely shocking, with the bat and the ball. Well, as a 16 year old, i was put to play with 13 year olds. But i worked on it and improved every time i went training, I used to ignore "what people would have thought about me" and still went to train. But one thing i realised is, "Opportunity only knocks at your door once" is all bullsh*. Opportunity doesn't come to you, you have to make that opportunity. Because when i believed I cant play cricket here, i barely played. But when i went out looking for the opportunity to play, i was given so many chances, I found people to play with casually, then they recommended me to another team. I slowly am reviving my passion for cricket, which was not dead. It was in Coma.

Today, i see people who start cricket at a very young age and are more talented that me, but I have faith in myself to go on, i may be in my late-teens, but Cricket is given preference, i have sacrificed a lot for cricket, going to pointless training sessions on the eve of my exams, because i dont want to loose a opportunity. Because i believe that maybe that one session could make the difference in my life. I may not be the most-skilled but i have the passion to make it work. I realise the hard work that is needed. As a Indian, i can say, Cricket runs in my blood. And in the last few years, i know i have come a long way, but the journey ahead is a bumpy one. One foot at a time, and im sure ill come close!

After reading the posts, now i am grateful to have such great parents who support me so much, even when i go completely against their will.

Good post.

Email his address over to the Board of Control for Cricket in India willya? Cheers, thanks.

LOL...I tell him all the time that he should play for Team India. He says that India already has enough bowlers.

I have loved cricket more than anything in my life, played for different clubs in my mid and late teens then was pressurized by parents to give more time to studies and that's it. After that only played occasionally, I still feel sad sometimes for not trying to become a pro cricket as i was told that I had talent even by the great shoaib malik(yes I am from sialkot)

You talked to Shoaib Malik? How come BZ doesn't have your name in his signature? :yk

played cricket in pak in streets, was known for hand eye coordination then anything else abit like sehwag,
came to the uk in my teens and started playing hard ball in the net's with brothers, but for 7 years thats all we did , as we though we where simply to good for the real thing,

7 years later we made our own team and join a league and there that i realize i had wasted my peak years in net practice,

now im in my 30's and regret being arrogant and letting my ego control me,

my brother was a good pacer tho when to nasar hussain's fathers training camp and with in 1 session he got picked for the 3rd team, but he also though he was to good and never returned

That's a pretty cool story. I know someone like that, who tries his heart out. Is always at every game, every practise match, always helping the team out - but just wouldn't get games due to his lack of ability compared to others.

Over the years he has now become a regular and has improved considerably.

His attitude, drive and self belief more than makes up for his relative lack of ability compared to others.

Played a bit of Perth Grade cricket.
Wasn't up to the standard. I once hit Mitchell Johnson for a boundary.

Did captain Mitch Marsh in district junior cricket though.

Did captain Mitch Marsh in district junior cricket though.

Aren't the Marsh brothers a bunch of trouble-makers? There was a report recently about some Aussie player taking drugs during our 2011/12 tour and whispers about that being Shaun, and both him and Mitch were reprimanded for getting up to stuff in South Africa when they were there for the Champions League with their Big Bash franchise?

Aren't the Marsh brothers a bunch of trouble-makers? There was a report recently about some Aussie player taking drugs during our 2011/12 tour and whispers about that being Shaun, and both him and Mitch were reprimanded for getting up to stuff in South Africa when they were there for the Champions League with their Big Bash franchise?

The Marsh bros like the rest of Western Australia do like their booze and drugs. I've gone drinking with Mitch a couple of times.

The average bloke can get away with it but it's not acceptable for a professional sportsman who has to keep their body in top condition.

Last edited:
Harsh on the Huss! And Gilly. But maybe they're the exceptions to the rule.

More Western Australian culture as a whole.

But what's fine for the tradies and miners isn't fine for our cricketers. I'd be willing to let off Mitch because it was his 21st, he is still young and Gibbs and Marsh Snr should have shown some responsibility.

I always wanted to play for Pakistan but my dad wanted me to become Doctor but now I am giving full support to my son if he want to be professional cricketer. But I am not going to force him thats all upto him.

Some very interesting posts in this thread.

I always wanted to play for Pakistan but my dad wanted me to become Doctor but now I am giving full support to my son if he want to be professional cricketer. But I am not going to force him thats all upto him.

Some very interesting posts in this thread.

Whenever I read books about Australian great players and they all share one thing in common- they all practiced for hours a day during their childhood and teenage years- Bradman hitting golf balls with a wicket for hours every day, Miller hitting a ball in a stocking for hours every day, McGrath bowling for hours every day.

That's what makes an international standard cricketer.

Nice post. I wish you all the best for your future in cricket.

Off topic : BTW, you are already a cricketer in the PPCL and I am your captain. Please come over once in a while to that section.

Played KCCA Zone cricket in Karachi, was selected to tour South Africa with an academy U-17 team but couldn't go for two reasons.

1. It cost 2 lakhs for the entire trip - which the players had to self fund!

2. It was the year of my O level exams, so parents told me to forget about it.

Stopped playing after that year, I was 16 then. Who knows where I would have gotten had I continued playing, there were some awesome cricketers playing zone and I was just one of them.

At my prime, my bowling speed was measured at 90mph.

Then I woke up from my dream :p. In all seriousness though, I would love to have become a cricketer BUT the truth is that I was never even remotely good enough. They called me Dravid, surviving for ages making ones and twos. In reality, I wanted to hit the ball out of the park as much as the next guy but it would rarely come off for me so I wouldn't attempt it. I would end up getting a decent score, 50+ with about 2/3 fours max. Against okish bowling, such stuff is not good enough for anyone looking to play professionally.

At my prime, my bowling speed was measured at 90mph.

Then I woke up from my dream :p. In all seriousness though, I would love to have become a cricketer BUT the truth is that I was never even remotely good enough. They called me Dravid, surviving for ages making ones and twos. In reality, I wanted to hit the ball out of the park as much as the next guy but it would rarely come off for me so I wouldn't attempt it. I would end up getting a decent score, 50+ with about 2/3 fours max. Against okish bowling, such stuff is not good enough for anyone looking to play professionally.

lOl

I played once in 2 league games. They were 30 over matches. I made 5 not out off 40 balls once, and 4 not out off 62 balls the second innings.

They ditched me after that : ) And I decided that was it !

lOl

I played once in 2 league games. They were 30 over matches. I made 5 not out off 40 balls once, and 4 not out off 62 balls the second innings.

:))

Those scores are just :))

That's the reason they dropped you.

Because they couldn't get you out.

Saazish!

I said not to guess. Besides, I'm on the tour to SA, I have to go practice in the nets.

Ajmal Bhai said he'll get me with the Doosra, I say I'll hit him from 6 like Miandad

I came back from the nets, Ajmal Bhai got me out :(
Not before I missed three balls, Dav says I might not play because the ball wasn't even spinning :(

Sad!

^
Please, Misbah plays Ajmal so well, as if he doesn't even have a doosra. Unfair to judge me based on a mystery spinner

lOl

Nice, my two highest scores are 19 from 58 and 11 from 50 :misbah

30 over games.

I said not to guess. Besides, I'm on the tour to SA, I have to go practice in the nets.

Ajmal Bhai said he'll get me with the Doosra, I say I'll hit him from 6 like Miandad

Faisal iqbal sahib ,safarish pa khailna choor do . Fikar na karo u will not get a single game on the tour . I know u are only included in the team for sight seeing coz of your uncle.

and admin why my earlier post was deleted ?? tell me what was bad abut it .

Faisal iqbal sahib ,safarish pa khailna choor do . Fikar na karo u will not get a single game on the tour . I know u are only included in the team for sight seeing coz of your uncle.

and admin why my earlier post was deleted ?? tell me what was bad abut it .

Faisal has talent to be an ATG. If anything, he has been unfairly treated because he is a mohajir

Back