How do you rate the West Indian fast-bowler Shannon Gabriel?

IAJ

T20I Star
Runs
Post of the Week
Looking forward to see him bowl in english conditions. I have heard he might be even quicker than Roach and Edwards, bowing around 150 kph.

If anyone knows more about him please share that information.

Shannon Gabriel is a fast bowler from Trinidad and Tobago who has been compared to a young Ian Bishop. He was among the 15 youngsters picked as the first batch at the Sagicor High Performance Centre when the WICB launched the initiative in 2010 and credits the experience with improving his fitness and technique. He quickly became a key member of T&T's first-class attack, winning selection for the Champions League T20 in 2011 - a bit of a surprise as he had not been utilised in limited-overs cricket much at the time - and claiming a maiden five-wicket haul against Barbados in the semi-final of the regional four-day competition in April 2012. The national selectors were clearly watching as he won selection in the Test squad touring England in May and, when T&T team-mate Ravi Rampaul was forced out of the side with a neck injury, Gabriel was called in to make his Test debut at Lord's.
ESPNcricinfo staff
http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-west-indies-2012/content/player/446101.html

Yea I seen his name on the team sheet didn't have a clue but can't wait to see him in action.

sammy said at the toss, gabriel has a good first class record.

not even close.

in my opinion, even australia has a better pace battery.

na mate india have the best pace battery.........Joke!! lol but damn them they have bowlers that touch 140+ more often then pakistani bowlers :/ never thought i'd see that day :(, thank god for sami's selection he will restore our fast bowling pride (i just want speeed more and more speeed don't really care about the 50 average in tests or when he bowls a bad line or length or wides or no balls etc i just want some fearsome pace want to see pak bowlers try and take the batsmens heads off! am hungry for pace pakistan have starved us of it too long now we have become so desperate that the ultimate return of sami was inevitable) i think and hopefully rahat ali too

Last edited:
i hope he bowls around 90, the more express bowlers the better.

excellent news, very little more scintillating than an express west indian pace battery. very much looking forward to seeing him in play.

Roach, Edwards, Taylor and now Shannon Terry.

That is a fantastic pace battery, not withstanding the fact we haven't seen Terry as of yet.

The likes of Aussies and SA have 2 or 3 at most but Windies consistently have very good fast bowlers.

Last edited:
Roach, Edwards, Taylor and now Shannon Terry.

That is a fantastic pace battery, not withstanding the fact we haven't seen Terry as of yet.

The likes of Aussies and SA have 2 or 3 at most but Windies consistently have very good fast bowlers.
Australia: Pattinson, Siddle, Harris, Hilfenhaus, Bollinger, Johnson, Cummins, Starc

South Africa: Steyn, Philander, Morkel, de Lange, Tsotsobe

England: Anderson, Broad, Bresnan, Tremlett, Finn, Onions

Please don't be daft

Australia: Pattinson, Siddle, Harris, Hilfenhaus, Bollinger, Johnson, Cummins, Starc

Please don't be daft

fast bowlers not medium pacers/fast

Please don't be daft

You are obviously lacking your pace battery.

Folks, don't attack me if he is just a 85 mph bowler :) I just wanted get more info about him since I read somewhere he is very quick.

Folks, don't attack me if he is just a 85 mph bowler :) I just wanted get more info about him since I read somewhere he is very quick.

dont back track now, your entire PP credibility is relying on this thread :yk

We will be after you...

We want to see Faast bowlers...

False hopes are bad.

Please don't be daft

You call me daft, yet you name medium fast bowlers :))

Please don't respond with daft posts :))

Last edited:
no point being an express bowler if you can't make the ball talk... Rampaul's their best bowler and he bowls at 85mph.

It's his first over of international cricket. Give him a chance at least.

As far as i have seen, Rampaul is always around 90mph not 85mph

Your judgment's obviously based on watching him bowl for 4 overs in a T20.

And regarding gabriel, he's fast but can't make the ball move in the most helpful conditions... This is going to be a long day for the windies

And regarding gabriel, he's fast but can't make the ball move in the most helpful conditions... This is going to be a long day for the windies

Pitch is a road! Windies are about 100-150 runs short here but their bowlers can still bring them back.

Just need one good spell from someone.

he is playing his first test. that in itself is a MASSIVE achievement. let him enjoy the game. he has bowled 4 overs. even he doesnt do well in this test, one shouldnt right him off. i wish him luck in his career. hope he plays many more games for windies and does well.

ps: he looks somewhat like crixus #spartacus

He's huge, 6ft 3, broad shoulders. Very typical West Indian action, a loose simple action. He can dig the ball into the ground and generate some raw pace.

The guy has some good raw materials to work with.

If he can develop some movement he could be ok.

WI desperately need a tall quick bowler (Sammy is a medium).

I still think Kevin McClean and Jason Holder (both left at home) are better prospects than Gabriel.

No, in T20 he can crank it up to 92-93mph

Looking forward to see him bowl in english conditions. I have heard he might be even quicker than Roach and Edwards, bowing around 150 kph.

If anyone knows more about him please share that information.

nice work there.

have you heard pigs can fly?

Reached up to 88mph today I think. Has pace but unless you're a 150+ bowler, you need more than that to be good enough at international level. If you can't get the ball to talk in England, you won't get it to move anywhere.

That's alright, he's just started. Good luck to him. I want to see competition for Yadav, Aeron and Sharma which currently make the fastest bowling line-up in the world. ::kapil

That's alright, he's just started. Good luck to him. I want to see competition for Yadav, Aeron and Sharma which currently make the fastest bowling line-up in the world. ::kapil

Exactly. Did I also mention that Farhat, Umar Amin and Kamran Akmal are the best batsmen and keepers in the world respectively?

Farhat isn't even the best batsman in his town bhai, kya baat kar rahey hain? :facepalm:

Umar Amin is unproven.

Only Kami is decent but not really a world class.

Farhat isn't even the best batsman in his town bhai, kya baat kar rahey hain? :facepalm:

Umar Amin is unproven.

Only Kami is decent but not really a world class.

If India has the fastest attack, these are the best in the world, better than Bradman. Also, Ijaz Butt is the best ever administrator

He's got pace and is pretty economical. Will get better with experience.

was clocked as high as 91 mph in very cold conditions..

No other bowler in the match clocked over 88.

3/60, not bad on debut. he has the potential to bowl faster in warmer conditions, and he's not very wayward like most of the other WI bowlers

hes a decent looking bowler, and i like his action, simple and effective, 3-60 are decent figures for a debut away from home.

Unfortunately he's been injured and is out of the tour. Tino Best comes in. PAAAAAACE!

3/60, not bad on debut. he has the potential to bowl faster in warmer conditions, and he's not very wayward like most of the other WI bowlers

yeah he was the fastest bowler in the match. that alone tells you a lot when we compare the speeds fidel and roach reach in other different conditions. this guy looks like a good find. and what's more, he's from T&T. which effectively makes T&T a better team than WI now :akhtar

Shame about his injury, West Indies need to keep their pacers fit. Like I said earlier he's huge, 6ft 3, broad shoulders. Very typical West Indian action, a loose simple action. He can dig the ball into the ground and generate some raw pace. There are some promising young talent being developed by the Windies.

Last edited:

Wrong. Kemar Roach had the fastest ball of the match at 90mph.

he's built a bit more like an old school windies quick which can't be a bad thing, real shame he got injured but they should get him right back in the team when fit.

Issue is sammy is taking one of the 3 spots that the quicks will usually take, so if they play a spinner(a must in the WI nowdays) they need to leave out promising young guys like gabriel.

Shannon Gabriel,New WI quick

Currently watching him bowl against Zimbabwe....Seriously quick..Ian Bishop in the commentary booth says he's a big prospect.

2 overs in ,average pace 146- 147 km/hr..Bowled a couple at 150 km/hr...

Tall,very strong built...Natural length seems on the shorter side.Most deliveries up and around chest/shoulder height(Zim batsmen are really short though).

Played his only Test Match against England at Lords in May,2012 where he had figures of 3/60 in 20 overs in the 1st innings and 1/26 in the 2nd...Got injured after that.

Such times have come that people get excited when Pattinson, de Lange or Gabriel bowl a couple of balls above 150 kph...

^well that's obvious, its not the norm anymore for fast bowlers to average 150kph+ in this era.

Such times have come that people get excited when Pattinson, de Lange or Gabriel bowl a couple of balls above 150 kph...

Take out Akhter and Lee,and the times have always been the same...150 plus is serious stuff.

Also DeLange was consistently around 150 before his injury.

His speeds on his debuet vs NewZealand.First 3 overs..(Courtesy 'baddogz' on youtube)

(1) 143 152 150 145 150 150 144
2) 146 148 146 150 144 148 143 148
3) 148 144 146 149 150 146 148

Last edited:
If remains injury-free, fastest bowler right now, imo.

If remains injury-free, fastest bowler right now, imo.

I concur.Cummins and Roach would be his main competition.

Injury-ridden careers seem like the inevitable for anyone bowling at those speeds.

Bar one Brett Lee ofcourse.Extraordinary Athlete

running-parachutes-1.jpg

Take out Akhter and Lee,and the times have always been the same...150 plus is serious stuff.

Also DeLange was consistently around 150 before his injury.

His speeds on his debuet vs NewZealand.First 3 overs..(Courtesy 'baddogz' on youtube)

(1) 143 152 150 145 150 150 144
2) 146 148 146 150 144 148 143 148
3) 148 144 146 149 150 146 148

And when was the last time he was bowling at that speed? Pardon me if I can't get excited over someone who will destroy his body and still only bowl 1 ball in 3 overs at 150+.

And getting over 150 once in a while is a common thing for most bowlers, including Gul or Srinath.

Fact is most of these young you talk about are much slower than the last 2 generations and, even at those low speed, they don't even swing it as much as Waqar, Steyn, Akhtar, Bond,... nor have the same accuracy.

Last edited:
And when was the last time he was bowling at that speed? Pardon me if I can't get excited over someone who will destroy his body and still only bowl 1 ball in 3 overs at 150+.

And getting over 150 once in a while is a common thing for most bowlers, including Gul or Srinath.

Fact is most of these young you talk about are much slower than the last 2 generations and, even at those low speed, they don't even swing it as much as Waqar, Steyn, Akhtar, Bond,... nor have the same accuracy.

''Much slower than bowlers of last 2 generations''..Really?...id love to see the evidence for that.

Gul?..he must have bowled a maximum of 2 or 3 deliveries touching 150 in his whole career and You're comparing him to someone like de Lange who as stats show above bowled 5 out of his first 12 deliveries at 150 or above ?

Waqar and Bond?..The fastest recorded ball for Waqar is 96m/hr which equates to 154 km/hr...Surely neither of them was 150 and above at any stage of their careers..

Infact even Akhtar was past his prime when speed guns became the norm..He was mostly averaging around 140 to 148 with the occasional effort ball touching 153-154.....Infact the only bowler ever 'recorded' to be consistently 150 and above is Brett Lee.WC 2003 comes to mind when he bowled entire spells without dropping below 150.

So i dont think one Brett Lee equates for ''last 2 generations''

Last edited:
''Much slower than bowlers of last 2 generations''..Really?...id love to see the evidence for that.

Waqar and Bond?..The fastest recorded ball for Waqar is 96m/hr which equates to 154 km/hr...Surely neither of them was 150 and above at any stage of their careers..

Infact even Akhtar was past his prime when speed guns became the norm..the only bowler ever 'recorded' to be consistently 150 and above is Brett Lee.

and i dont think one Brett Lee equates for ''last 2 generations''

Carry on taking speeds after speed guns were used in all matches, ie when Waqar and Akhtar didn't bowl at the same speeds as before.

Carry on taking speeds after speed guns were used in all matches, ie when Waqar and Akhtar didn't bowl at the same speeds as before.

facepalm.gif

Never said Akhter didnt bowl consistently over 150..What i said was that this was all Pre-2003 when speed guns werent a regular at every venue.

And where is the evidence to support your ludicrous claim that Waqar and Bond used to bowl consistently over 150? Don't spout crap when you cant back it up with any data

facepalm.gif

Never said Akhter didnt bowl consistently over 150..What i said was that this was all Pre-2003 when speed guns werent a regular at every venue.

And where is the evidence to support your ludicrous claim that Waqar and Bond used to bowl consistently over 150? Don't spout crap when you cant back it up with any data

When you made a ludicrous thread and can't defend it, don't spout crap by putting false words in other people's mouth. I never claimed Waqar and Bond are 150+, re-read my post.

Last edited:
I saw him around 3 years ago when he was called in for a test from the academy because of an injury, i think it was against SA. Was okay then but looks much better now.

Edit - that was someone else lol

Last edited:
tbh honest before waqars first injury in 1992 he was consistently in the 150's

look at his stirke rate before the injury, its scary

also you guys forgot to mention mohammed zahid

your right, even alec stewart said that the quickest bowler he ever kept to was waqar younis and that most people don't realise how quick he was prior to the 92 world cup and t he was extremely quick through the air never mind of the pitch

When you made a ludicrous thread and can't defend it, don't spout crap by putting false words in other people's mouth. I never claimed Waqar and Bond are 150+, re-read my post.

My thread was about this new genuinely fast WI fast bowler who Ian Bishop thinks is the next big thing.(until you showed up ofcourse,reminding us all of how its not something to be excited about) ..How is that Ludicrous?

About you now backtracking about the 150 plus thing,Let me requote you

Hmm lets see...by ''these young fast bowlers'' you were referring to my mention of Gabriel,Cummins and deLange..That is obvious.

Then you stated these folks were ''much slower'' than Bowlers of the last 2 generations.You specifically named Waqar,Bond,Akhter and Steyn(only Lord knows hows he's included in past generation now).

Then you also mentioned that Gabriel,Lange and Cummins were not fast enough as they only bowled occasionally over 150.to quote your exact words

and also

So by saying three 3 lads are ''much slower'' than the likes of Bond and Waqar,its only logical to assume you're suggesting that Waqar and Bond did bowl consistently over 150.

Why the heck do you post in a thread when you have nothing to contribute?

Last edited:

i was a big Mohammad Zahid fan..still cant get over the fact that his career was so blighted....He may have been the fastest bowler ever if you are to believe Akhtar's ""Yard faster than me'' comments.

Also Shaun Tait.Very short lived career but when on song,as quick as Akhtar and Lee in their primes.

Ngam comes to mind..SA tearaway fast bowler who succumbed to back injuries.

My thread was about this new genuinely fast WI fast bowler who Ian Bishop thinks is the next big thing.(until you showed up ofcourse,reminding us all of how its not something to be excited about) ..How is that Ludicrous?

About you now backtracking about the 150 plus thing,Let me requote you

Hmm lets see...by ''these young fast bowlers'' you were referring to my mention of Gabriel,Cummins and deLange..That is obvious.

Then you stated these folks were ''much slower'' than Bowlers of the last 2 generations.You specifically named Waqar,Bond,Akhter and Steyn(only Lord knows hows he's included in past generation now).

Then you also mentioned that Gabriel,Lange and Cummins were not fast enough as they only bowled occasionally over 150.to quote your exact words

It's funny you say ''to quote your exact words'' when:

1)I never talked about Cummins in this thread
2)I never said 150 kph+ was the speed of Waqar and Bond as you attributed it to me. Indeed, if you go back to the sentence you base this on:

Get off your high horses and understand the difference between ''and'' and ''because''. Those are two seperate propositions, as proven by the fact that Steyn is not from the last 2 generations (but yes, different from these guys since he is 10 years older).

BTW, I do think that pre-injury Waqar was the kind of guy who would go above 150 couple of times in an over before his injury (which none of the speeds you have showed me is, both from de Lange and Gabriel), especially in limited overs and in favorable conditions. Same for Zahid.

But I didn't bring it up as you will only talk on the basis of the speed guns that were common place only in this millenary. Otherwise, going by the accounts of experts, yes, previous generations had guys that could go over 150 2-3 (or more times) in an over, especially when given the favorable conditions de Lange and Gabriel bowled in, but these two have never.

Last edited:
No one bowls over 150 all the time.

I watched many matches or spells where Lee & Akhtar were in low 140's or even 135-138's for a few balls. Even in Oz.

Anyway WI desperately need this Gabriel guy- a tall, genuine 90mph+ quick.

Then they can use Roach/Best (whoever is fit & in form) alongside him instead of both together (too short, too similar).

If Jason Holder (6'9 or 6'10 I think) develops then they start to have a potentially decent attack again with Delorn Johnson another one coming through soon.

Has Jermaine Lawson given up cricket?

Shannon Terry Gabriel ( West Indian fast bowler)

I watched many matches or spells where Lee & Akhtar were in low 140's or even 135-138's for a few balls. Even in Oz.

Then they can use Roach/Best (whoever is fit & in form) alongside him instead of both together (too short, too similar).

If Jason Holder (6'9 or 6'10 I think) develops then they start to have a potentially decent attack again with Delorn Johnson another one coming through soon.

All I know is the world of cricket needs a strong west indies team .

He's 6'7'' ( so Finn-Tremlett in terms of height, but in term of body built more like the second) and he's really, really impressive.
Was hearing/reading a lot about him, and few weeks ago someone uploaded a video and had the chance to see him

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CMuib87frsw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Indeed WI looks to gather some interesting guns for the future.

He's 6'7'' ( so Finn-Tremlett in terms of height, but in term of body built more like the second) and he's really, really impressive.
Was hearing/reading a lot about him, and few weeks ago someone uploaded a video and had the chance to see him

Holder played out here in Oz on the recent WI ODI tour so I saw him on TV a couple of times. He went ok in a beaten side, best return of 1/18. A hint of Walsh in his action.

Gul?..he must have bowled a maximum of 2 or 3 deliveries touching 150 in his whole career and You're comparing him to someone like de Lange who as stats show above bowled 5 out of his first 12 deliveries at 150 or above ?

Infact even Akhtar was past his prime when speed guns became the norm..He was mostly averaging around 140 to 148 with the occasional effort ball touching 153-154.....Infact the only bowler ever 'recorded' to be consistently 150 and above is Brett Lee.WC 2003 comes to mind when he bowled entire spells without dropping below 150.

So i dont think one Brett Lee equates for ''last 2 generations''

Waqar was said to be even quicker than Shoaib when he played in 89, was even called to be the fastest bowler of all time after the injury the pace went down a little but he still was very fast.
Could bowl at speeds above 145 and even 150.

Last edited:
Shannon had an average speed of 145.6kph/90.5mph against Zimbabwe in the T20i.
Was not that fast against England at lords rarely clocked above 140.
I'd like to see him maintain those speeds in a Test Match before he can be called the fastest bowler.

Bishop mentioned him as well..Definite bit of Walsh in his action.Then there is Delorn Johnson..left arm quickie who was man if the series in WI A's latest outing

More footage of Holder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2riaaluTpf4

Back