How long before Pakistan becomes a formidable team again?

Savak

Test Captain
Runs
Post of the Week
I would say another 2-3 years atleast. For improving drastically we need the following things

1) Stability in the team in terms of selections, captaincy, coaching staff

2) More cricket and against quality opposition

3) Some more sporting wickets at home

4) Important to look for the fast bowlers who have pace, return to our roots

5) Dont be hessitant to introduce younger players in the team and to do away with this thinking that the lad is too young for cricket and should play a few more domestic seasons. Introduce a massive talent hunt scheme.

6) Getting our ex legends like the W's, Saeed Anwar, Inzi and co to help our new generation of cricketers in the NCA, or any other coaching capacity

7) Introducing a PPL in Pakistan or in the UAE

8) Dropping out of form players who have not been performing for some time for e.g. Akmal, Kaneria.

9) Build bench strength

10) Introduce some glamor and commercial interest in the sport. Cricket in Pakistan is now slowly on the verge of death.

11) The decline in skills that were so dear to us like reverse swing especially among the current generation is shocking. Something must be done to address this.

12) Use the Indian team as a role model especially how they have gone about building a formidable team in the last 3-4 years. No shame in saying this.

Last edited:
we're one good session away from that...just have to keep your discipline and take the knocks...first mission is not to lose test matches especialy this one...have to fight hard and become hard to beat..then we can move ahead!

We are a great cricketing nation. Its just that things are not going our way

Savak said:
I would say another 2-3 years atleast. For improving drastically we need the following things

5) Dont be hessitant to introduce younger players in the team and to do away with this thinking that the lad is too young for cricket and should play a few more domestic seasons. Introduce a massive talent hunt scheme.

6) Getting our ex legends like the W's, Saeed Anwar, Inzi and co to help our new generation of cricketers in the NCA, or any other coaching capacity

8) Dropping out of form players who have not been performing for some time for e.g. Akmal, Kaneria.

9) Build bench strength

10) Introduce some glamor and commercial interest in the sport. Cricket in Pakistan is now slowly on the verge of death.

11) The decline in skills that were so dear to us like reverse swing especially among the current generation is shocking. Something must be done to address this.

12) Use the Indian team as a role model especially how they have gone about building a formidable team in the last 3-4 years. No shame in saying this.

sorry, thats all tried and we're currently doing alot of these things..but it all goes out of the window if you produce a flat pitch after 14 months without cricket..it doesnt give you a chance..unless we accept this we will never succeed!!....patience is the key...we still have the skills..even the two w's have been whacked toa ll parts on flat pitches!!..i have seen imran, and co getting smashed..hell ive seen mcgrath and wanre getting pounded on flat beds too...if you give an inexperienced bowling attack no chance then be prepared for what we have seen..

what we needed was a sporting surface that could produce some drama..wining or losing wasnt the point..

10 years. youngsters r crap.. we dont have any wasim waqar any more.. may be in next generation we will get some of them.

i dont know about being formidable but to become a good side we are really only around the corner

fact is if we have a full strength pace attack to choose from (Gul, Asif, Akhtar, Tanvir ) and throw Yousuf back into the side and perhaps Razzaq for the odi's then imo i believe we would be a good side again lol

sadly its a very big IF

it seems as though people are not as focused on cricket as they were about 10 years ago. i dont see pakistan recovering and becoming the side they once were. the pakpassion for cricket is slowly dying.

We are in it for the long haul I feel. 3-4 years I reckon.

New captain, youngsters who need time to succeed at this level - some of whom will not make it whilst others will show that they are good enough at this level.

There is nothing in place to help us become a formidable team again that can challenge the top teams consistently. The only way it will happen in the current conditions is if we get a freak glut of special players who all come through at the same time.

I see current experienced players as mainly stop-gaps.

The likes of Malik, Faisal Iqbal and Misbah are just filling in spaces until we get some of the youngsters to come through and estabilish themselves.

Similarly, even the likes of Gul and Arafat are decent bowlers, but you just get the feeling the likes of Talha, Aamer, (an experienced) Sohail Khan, Anwar Ali, Jamshed and Ayub are the ones that will take our team to greater heights. They seem to have that bit extra....

As for Kaneria it's an insult to stop-gaps to call him a stop-gap, but that's what he is. I think we should take a leaf out of England's book (as they've done with Swann) and get an experienced spinner like Saqlain, Ajmal to cover for a couple of years and then throw in Usman Qadir as soon as he hits 18!

We have a salivating prospect of a bowling attack consisting of the experienced Talha, Aamer, Sohail Khan, Anwar Ali and backed up with Usman Qadir as the spinner! I think we are about 3/4 years from that but only if we start selecting the likes of Aamer and Talha straight away.

Last edited:
We have a salivating prospect of a bowling attack consisting of the experienced Talha, Aamer, Sohail Khan, Anwar Ali and backed up with Usman Qadir as the spinner! I think we are about 3/4 years from that but only if we start selecting the likes of Aamer and Talha straight away.
This sounds like a plan.

The batting is not as important. With flat pitches common around the world [espec sub-continent], we need to concentrate on bowlers who have the ability to take the pitch out of the equation and make the ball move in the air - or just move fast.

Sultan Yusuf said:
I see current experienced players as mainly stop-gaps.

The likes of Malik, Faisal Iqbal and Misbah are just filling in spaces until we get some of the youngsters to come through and estabilish themselves.

Similarly, even the likes of Gul and Arafat are decent bowlers, but you just get the feeling the likes of Talha, Aamer, (an experienced) Sohail Khan, Anwar Ali, Jamshed and Ayub are the ones that will take our team to greater heights. They seem to have that bit extra....

As for Kaneria it's an insult to stop-gaps to call him a stop-gap, but that's what he is. I think we should take a leaf out of England's book (as they've done with Swann) and get an experienced spinner like Saqlain, Ajmal to cover for a couple of years and then throw in Usman Qadir as soon as he hits 18!

Top post, this!

Savak said:

9) Build bench strength

well, if the selectors choose the right time and talented players our team will be best again, plus some of our icl players has to play again for us. basically they are killing our talent look at nasir jamshed he is going to be wasted, plus mohammed amer many talented players. tel me whats faisal iqbal is doing in the team is he better then fawad alam nooooo way. we are trying players who have been flop previously look at faisal iqbals average in odis and test matches. 26.... in domestic this is the first season he played some better cricket.

Last edited:
Anwar/Sohail >> Current

Waqar/Akram >>>>>> Current

Saqlain/Mustaq >>>>>>>> Current

Inzamam > Misbah

wicket keeping.. over all value probably is Moin was better?

These are huge shoes to fill. Only way you can get there is by giving more and more chances to youngsters hoping you will bump into some greats along the way.

Shadow said:
it seems as though people are not as focused on cricket as they were about 10 years ago. i dont see pakistan recovering and becoming the side they once were. the pakpassion for cricket is slowly dying.

Well I guess its mostly cause we have less cricket. Even thou I'm from the US I still Belive Cricket is a good game. And I know and Belive that Cricket in pakistan wont go away if we have more matches. We Need a Crunch Schedule now. We NEED mOre Cricket. IF we See none then thier is no hope of Pakistan Cricket to get back.

Playing regular decent cricket will definetly help.

I mean we ve not played for 14 months, the guys are rusty and whens our next meaningful test series?????????

How the hell are we supposed to develop into a formidable team if all we do is play meaningless odi cricket all the time?

Just look at India, AUs and Sth Africa. They are on the rd nearly 52 weeks of the yr playing test odi cricket and when was the last time we went abroad to play a series? (Not including india)

Savak said:

9) Build bench strength

Younis khan will destroy pak cricket. He wants his friends in the team not youngesters. Khuram manzor is the worst batsman i have ever seen in my life. we need nasir jamshed.

Pakistan are going to probably have to try quite a few youngsters over the next couple of years at a time when the established players are not world greats.

Some of the young players will not make it and others will show promise and will need time to develop. So there is likely to be some more pain ahead.

The problem has been that in the last few years selectors have been conservative. The right young players were not picked (even for the current Test there are questionable selections.). So now Pakistan finds itself short of quality established players.

So I think things may get worse before they start getting better. There will need to be patience, but there will also need to be some smart and brave selections.

Last edited:
KB said:
Pakistan are going to probably have to try quite a few youngsters over the next couple of years at a time when the established players are not world greats.

Some of the young players will not make it and others will show promise and will need time to develop. So there is likely to be some more pain ahead.

The problem has been that in the last few years selectors have been conservative. The right young players were not picked (even for the current Test there are questionable selections.). So now Pakistan finds itself short of quality established players.

So I think things may get worse before they start getting better. There will need to be patience, but there will also need to be some smart and brave selections.

You make some good points for once there KB, but you know that the critical quality highlighted has always been in short supply in Pakistan.

We can always be wishful though.

Zaz said:
Playing regular decent cricket will definetly help.

I mean we ve not played for 14 months, the guys are rusty and whens our next meaningful test series?????????

How the hell are we supposed to develop into a formidable team if all we do is play meaningless odi cricket all the time?

Just look at India, AUs and Sth Africa. They are on the rd nearly 52 weeks of the yr playing test odi cricket and when was the last time we went abroad to play a series? (Not including india)

You know I gotta Admit out of the three versions of the game Test Cricket seems more challenging to me. ODI and 20/20 dont test your patience and ur temperment as Test Cricket does. Test Cricket Shows why Class is Important then Mindless Slogging. I love this version of the game cause it shows how important cricket really is when things dont seem to go your way. This Total seems hard to chase down. But I havent lost my hopes yet one bit . I will root Pakistan on Even if we lose. JUst Fight hard my team and atleast impress your fans by showing us your atleast trying to win. :D

Savak said:

9) Build bench strength

Well if this is the benchmark..we're looking at a minimum of 6-8 years.

Until we don't select all the best players we have i.e. Razzaq, Yousuf, Saqlain Mushtaq. We have world class players available and all our match winners have to play. These include the guys mentioned. Afridi can also be included in this list and Akhtar and Asif whenever available. If not, we need another 2-5 years or so to develop consistent good players which means sacrificing the next WC which we cannot do. We need to use our available resources!!!! All the guys I mentioned above are quite young besides Akhtar and Yousuf. Akhtar and Yousuf can still play for another 2-3 years. The rest can play for a lot longer.

Last edited:
salman24 said:
Until we don't select all the best players we have i.e. Razzaq, Yousuf, Saqlain Mushtaq. We have world class players available and all our match winners have to play. These include the guys mentioned. Afridi can also be included in this list and Akhtar and Asif whenever available. If not, we need another 2-5 years or so to develop consistent good players which means sacrificing the next WC which we cannot do. We need to use our available resources!!!! All the guys I mentioned above are quite young besides Akhtar and Yousuf. Akhtar and Yousuf can still play for another 2-3 years. The rest can play for a lot longer.

Why not bring Air Marshal Noor Khan as well? Pak cricket did really well when he was running it.

I don't know why so many are still fascinated with the ICL players. Other than MOYO, no one had any place in the national team when they left. We need to move on.

The team is going down the drains like the country, when you have donkeys and people there to full their stomach who are running cricket this will happen........ what people don't realize is that the dream team we had in the 1990s and was a "gift" that Imran Khan gave to Pakistan Cricket before he retired, he nourished Wasim, Waqar, Inzamam, I don't believe without his support they would have been what they where........ even in the 1980s he fought the West Indies and came close to winning but umpires cheated......... my only point is....... take Imran Khans contribution out and theres not much left......

Crickteria said:
Why not bring Air Marshal Noor Khan as well? Pak cricket did really well when he was running it.

I don't know why so many are still fascinated with the ICL players. Other than MOYO, no one had any place in the national team when they left. We need to move on.

I was expecting a random comment like that. Look the question why move on when you have world class players and they are young enough to play for a while. Besides Moyo and Akhtar the rest can last for 5 + years. These guys are all match winners , something that we lack at the moment.

With your logic Shane Warne should've retired 6-7 years ago and also Mcgrath because Australia had to look forward. Same with Tendulkar, Lara, Hayden, Symonds, Pollock etc. Why should we look beyond players who are 29-32 years old and proven match winners. ONly MOyo and Akhtar are over 33 but still have a couple of years left in them ast least in the case of Moyo, not so sure about Akhtar but we will find out.

BTW the only ICL players I am supporting are Moyo, Razzaq and Saqlain. I think Ranan and Nazir can be looked into but only if they prove their form which Rana has been doing thus far.

salman24 said:
I was expecting a random comment like that. Look the question why move on when you have world class players and they are young enough to play for a while. Besides Moyo and Akhtar the rest can last for 5 + years. These guys are all match winners , something that we lack at the moment.

With your logic Shane Warne should've retired 6-7 years ago and also Mcgrath because Australia had to look forward. Same with Tendulkar, Lara, Hayden, Symonds, Pollock etc. Why should we look beyond players who are 29-32 years old and proven match winners. ONly MOyo and Akhtar are over 33 but still have a couple of years left in them ast least in the case of Moyo, not so sure about Akhtar but we will find out.

BTW the only ICL players I am supporting are Moyo, Razzaq and Saqlain. I think Ranan and Nazir can be looked into but only if they prove their form which Rana has been doing thus far.

You are still not getting the point. It has nothing to do with age. Remember why those players went to ICL in the first place. They had no place in the national side and they knew it. Only exception was MOYO.

Crickteria said:
You are still not getting the point. It has nothing to do with age. Remember why those players went to ICL in the first place. They had no place in the national side and they knew it. Only exception was MOYO.

No Razzaq did have a place but was just pissed off at being dropped from the T20 and although the PCB did say he was in their plans he probably wasn't sure. The rest also had a chance like I Nazir but I guess they had no assurances and you can't earn that much playing domestic so they decided to make some money in the ICL. Saqlain has been ignored by the PCB for years now even though he is fit now and deserves a place in my opinion. Rana also just came back from injury. A lot of the guys I agree did not have a chance but many were fringe players who could've been called but I guess were not sure if they would be picked and I guess were hoping the ICL issue would be resolved soon like Kerry Packer's thing in the past.

Well I definitely agree with your points, however I believe that as long as we do not sort out small mistakes that we make in every match, we do not stand a chance of sorting out our affairs. Instead of working from top-down, the focus should be on a bottom-top approach. That is to say, work on small problems, once they are sorted out they will automatically lead to bigger problems. The main concern which I think the Pakistani team faces is that they have too many problems and little solutions for them.

Regarding the current series, I noticed some things and would like to share them with you:

1) Younis Khan's reluctance to place a third man even though majority of the runs were scored in that region. I remember Waqar Younis showing a pie chart in which like 110 runs out of 200+ were scored in the 3rd man region.

2) Also when Pakistan batted today, I noticed one of their strategy which greatly helps in inducing pressure on the batsmen and leads to their dismissal. I don't know why Pakistan have never adopted this approach, but I think that we need to give it a try. When Vaas started bowling, the keeper was standing behind. However, after some overs the keeper stood up to the stumps. You could see that the result was instant, Salman Butt almost gave away his wicket when his dismissal was saved just by a thin edge off the bat.

This is an approach which not only Sri Lanka but other teams approach as well, i.e. make the keeper stand upto the stumps and having a medium pace bowler operating.

Team: (Wicketkeepers) (Bowlers)

1. Sri Lanka: (P Jayawardene/Sangakarra) (Vaas/Kulasekra)
2. India: (Dhoni) (Pathan)
3. Australia: (Haddin) (Bracken)

All these countries have used this tactic to considerable success, I think that we also should adopt this approach. If Akmal is so shitty that he can't even keep that close then choose someone better than him.

salman24 said:
No Razzaq did have a place but was just pissed off at being dropped from the T20 and although the PCB did say he was in their plans he probably wasn't sure. The rest also had a chance like I Nazir but I guess they had no assurances and you can't earn that much playing domestic so they decided to make some money in the ICL. Saqlain has been ignored by the PCB for years now even though he is fit now and deserves a place in my opinion. Rana also just came back from injury. A lot of the guys I agree did not have a chance but many were fringe players who could've been called but I guess were not sure if they would be picked and I guess were hoping the ICL issue would be resolved soon like Kerry Packer's thing in the past.

For at least 2 to 3 years before he departed for ICL, he did not perform much. He was the type of person who took his place in the team for granted. He should have been kicked out long before T20 WC.

There is a thread here about Sami not wanting to work hard. I would put Razzi in that category as well. Can you please tell me what improvements you have seen in him ever since we saw him first at the WC1999? None.
He was consistently inconsistent.

Punisher said:
If Akmal is so shitty that he can't even keep that close then choose someone better than him.

And this is the problem. We keep rewarding inconsistency, incompetency and stupid mistakes.

1. We have to actually start playing some cricket
2. We have to start playing some cricket.
3. We have to play some cricket.
4. We have to play cricket.

Once those four conditions have been met we need STABILITY. That is the most important thing. Under Inzi and Bob we had two solid years of stability and we were close to being unbeatable from 2005 to the early part of 2006. It was when instability crept in that things went to the toilet.

We have some very good cricketers and some very promising youngsters. The talent and ability is all there.

One of the other things that the Board need to look at and I have been harping on about this for a long time is the need for Academy and "A" tours on a regular basis to places like the Caribbean, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, India, England, Australia and SA, not just tours to UAE, Kenya, BD for the up and coming players.

Zohaib Shah said:
You know I gotta Admit out of the three versions of the game Test Cricket seems more challenging to me. ODI and 20/20 dont test your patience and ur temperment as Test Cricket does. Test Cricket Shows why Class is Important then Mindless Slogging. I love this version of the game cause it shows how important cricket really is when things dont seem to go your way. This Total seems hard to chase down. But I havent lost my hopes yet one bit . I will root Pakistan on Even if we lose. JUst Fight hard my team and atleast impress your fans by showing us your atleast trying to win. :D

Why do you "have to admit"? It should be clear to everyone that test cricket is the most challenging!

Anyone who thinks otherwise has probably been hanging with M Asif too long...

SY is spot on here & to add to his points I hope pak dont do the mistake of getting in few more oldies from ICL ...they should not be going back to players like farhat and nazir ....if you are going to loose anyway , at least do it by playing a young side ....2-3 years , pak shoould have a strong team .......you might still win the next test match , but this team will continue to be mediocre !

India picked lot of players from Under 19. Yuvraj, irfan, chawla, dinesh karthik, Raina, kaif, Reetinder.. to name a few. I think Pakistan is not picking players from there. Also as some mentioned they have to get rid of this revolving door policy.

A lot of our guys have come through the u-19 teams as well. But recently we have gotten into the bad habit of playing only those that have some first class experience.

To become a good team, we must:
a) Play regular cricket w/o extended lay offs.
b) Stick with the youngsters for some matches before dropping the ax.
c) Make pitches that suit our strength.

As it stands, right now, we have every ingredient to be the absolute best in the world. We just have the wrong recipe.

The difference between great domestic players and great world-class players is not so much in skill, it is in attitude and character. We need a leader who can inspire players to self-belief. Imran didn't pick Inzi/Waqar/Wasim because they were already world-class. He picked them because of potential, and then he made them great. Each one of our players have this ability, they simply need the leadership and self-belief to realize the potential.

When it happens (and it will), it will not happen because of some carefully laid out plan. It will happen in a moment, born from desperate depths, and pregnant with energy and desire; and it will create a tide that is too strong to be stopped. This is historical precedent, and with the talent in Pak cricket it is only a matter of time before it is repeated here. Hope is incredibly infectious, and Pak cricket is a vast bed of dry bush just waiting for that spark. All the mismanagement, selection issues, and incompetence that is present around our cricket establishment will then bend to the prevailing moment and serve the task at hand.

You can never predict when this moment will arrive, but take comfort friends, because I promise you it will.

We need more cricket. Look at how india got to be one of the best. They play matches non stop which also gives oppurtunity for many youngsters to be tried. After this series, which is not evn a full series, I don't even kno wen our next test match is goin to be. And we need to tour other countries more evn if they dnt come to pak.

shaun3 said:
As it stands, right now, we have every ingredient to be the absolute best in the world. We just have the wrong recipe.

In my view its the other way around. We know the recipe. We just don't have the right ingredients. When you are cooking " baingan " but are trying to make it taste like " bhindi or karela", its not gonna happen.

I agree with the other posters that we need to play more. Thats a start. We need to select the right 15 players and stick with them for 2 years and play as much as possible. If we can't get any team to come into pakistan or if we can't get any tours abroad, then split those players into 2 groups, add few more prospects and make 2 A teams and go play cricket wherever ( Aus, Eng, NZ, SA ) we find a willing partner.

Last edited:
Crickteria said:
I agree with the other posters that we need to play more. Thats a start. We need to select the right 15 players and stick with them for 2 years and play as much as possible. If we can't get any team to come ito pakistan or if we can't get any tours abroad, then split those players into 2 groups, add few more prospects and make 2 A teams and go play cricket wherever ( Aus, Eng, NZ, SA ) we find a willing partner.

I agree that we need to play more to become good, but I am saying that until we are good it will be easy for Boards to ignore us. It's a chicken/egg connundrum.

Security has always been an issue in Pak, but with high profile players and a good team, you get a lot of ground pressure for other Boards' constituents to tour (ie Aus/Ind/Sa fans/sponsors want their team to play Pak).

Even if security wasn't an issue, we only had a few series scheduled for 09 anyways. Do you think this would be the case if we were a top 3 team?

I agree that all the peripheral plans laid out by other posters will help, but what I am saying is that at the end of the day this is cricket, and our problem is with our cricket. Currently it is uninspiring and meek. We need to find the spark on the field, and this cannot be fixed with administrative solutions, but rather strong character and leadership.

Pak Cricket Tradition continues, Career's being destroyed...

Once again, the imfamous Pak Cricket tradtion is continued. Careers are being destroyed and hampered. Whether you're new or experienced, you're not safe.

Umar Gul, Arguebally Pakistan's best bowler is Pakistan's only bowler, and is expected to break through the Sri Lankan Line-up on a battin wicket. Lack of experienced partners is not helping

Yasser Arafat, an All Rounder, ideal for a 3rd or 4th bowling option is expected to be the strike bowler, and is struggling due to the lack of experience in the team, considering he himself is relativley new in the team, and ha never been given a proper chance.

Sohail Khan, im not surprised at all at his bowling display, new, no experience, expected to lead from the front of a make-shift inexerienced bowling attack

Danish Kaneria been out for so long and is expected to perform wonders.

We got the Ex-Skipper Shoaib has a key bowling option.

New Bowlers like Tanvir are being sidelined as if he has had a poor run of form for a few years. Tanvir is still relativley new, and has been the strike bowler for the team when he shouldn't be, even so, he has performed superbly.

Why Sohail Khan got the nod over him and Rao is ridiculous. As if the team did not lack enough experience.

We got players like Rana, Abdul Razzaq, Saqlain and Shabbir Ahmed Banned, and all who can easily make the team and make a difference.

But their banned, why? so PCB can make BCCI happy, the same BCCI who slap the PCB accross the face continously, but the PCB Don't learn, just like the backward Pak government.

At the same time the Banned players are made out to be vicious criminals, as if their guilty of murder.

Seriously, i wonder who will be the scape goat after this match. Maybe YK will lose his captaincy ?

Bump. So lets see, We have lost to the Sri Lankans, escaped with a draw against NZ (Luckily so) and lost to Australia from winning positions.

Surely something positive must come out of this period, maybe not immediately but some time in the future. This is just the optimistic part of me talking. I would seriously have felt a lot better if we were losing all this while with younger players in the team as oppossed to having the likes of Misbah, Malik, Farhat in the team.

Cricket is a funny game. We had one bad session in the last test and equally one bad session in each test we played againd SL & NZ, otherwise we would have arrived ti Aus having won the the last two series and going ti Hobort at 1-1. The pak team is already formidable during the 75% of a match but unfortuntely it's the 25% which turns into Panickstan and we throw away the advantage.

If you analyse the tests we played in 2009 we were hardly outplayed by the oppostion rather the players beat themselves by losing concentration at crucial times. We just need to sort out the mental side and we will start winning more even with 2-3 players who do not merit a place in the team.

Not Soon thats for sure, alot of changes have to be made, such as the board being independant and not controlled by the goverment and these money grabbers need to removed ASAP and the trouble makers in squad.

If we get a player like Aamer and Umar Akmal breaking through every year then we should be alright in 9 years. :))

Not until the roots are fixed.
1.Pakistan domestic structure needs to be fixed
2.All the politics need to be out of cricket
3.The grounds and staff need to be improved. We need to be more professional.
4.Cut down the domestic teams to 6 so the quality will come through not quantity

9) Build bench strength

finally after 7-8 years, pakistan is becoming a respectable team again. I feel they are improving and are real contenders for the 2019 World Cup!

Last edited:
Back