Huge change in Babar Azam’s batting technique in recent times

y33ny

Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
I have noticed a huge change in Babar Azam’s batting technique and am surprised to have not found anything written about this online.

For clarity, I will split my analysis time-wise into three parts.

1. 2017-2020
2. 2020- Mid 2023
3. Late 2023-2024

Period 1:
Babar Azam came into the cricketing scene as a technically correct, orthodox batsman with a fabulous cover drive. It was a picture of elegance and solidity, executed with a dominant top hand, as was many of his stokes. He always made a conscious effort to play the ball with a straight bat, even on shorter pitched balls where he played back foot punches.

Period 2:
The year 2020 marked a subtle yet significant shift in Babar Azam's batting approach. An emphasis on power hitting began to emerge. This was manifested in an increased willingness to utilize his bottom hand more. His signature cover drive, while retaining its core structure, adopted a more fluid aesthetic. Instead of staying solid, he would appear to reach for the ball more and flow through the shot. Interestingly, it looked like he would avoid playing with a solid straight bat.

Period 3:
The most recent phase of Babar’s batting has been marked by a werid change to an unorthodox style. There was an inclusion of unconventional strokes like the slog sweep shot and the audacious 360-degree shot into his repertoire. Notably, his cover drive, once a staple of his batting, seemed to be absent during the PSL 9.

It honestly makes me a bit sad, seeing this change. In PSL 9, on the balls Babar could have nailed a perfect cover drive, he chose to slog them to the leg side or scoop. What could be some reasons behind this change? Do you think he’s aware of it?

And, am I the only one noticing these things?

A batter of Babar’s calibre has all the shots in the book. He has many options on every single ball! Just comes down to executing the right one at the right time. Plus fielding sides now try make a strategy around his signature cover drive so maybe a change in tactics from Babar is the way to cope with that.

On the subject of his cover drive, this is what I mean.
Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 3.35.19 PM.png1712126964631.png
Before and after.

Both shots are hit in the same direction. The difference, as I said above, is that instead of staying solid, he would appear to reach for the ball and instead of maintaining a solitary position. Look at where his feet are in both images

On the subject of his cover drive, this is what I mean.
View attachment 143012View attachment 143013
Before and after.

Both shots are hit in the same direction. The difference, as I said above, is that instead of staying solid, he would appear to reach for the ball and instead of maintaining a solitary position. Look at where his feet are in both images
On the up cover drive, either playing close to the body or throwing you hands at ball, is a shot of conditions and situation imo.

Its a low percentage shot when there's movement off the pitch or when batter is new to crease and isn't used to movement in the air.

All of the above largely doesn't matter much in limited overs cricket. Babar is still fine technique wise against quicks.

Second pic is from PSL. Pakistani pitches are deader than a dodo. He doesn't need feet movement and it allows more free flow of hands hense more power.

I have noticed a huge change in Babar Azam’s batting technique and am surprised to have not found anything written about this online.

1. 2017-2020
2. 2020- Mid 2023
3. Late 2023-2024

Period 1:
Babar Azam came into the cricketing scene as a technically correct, orthodox batsman with a fabulous cover drive. It was a picture of elegance and solidity, executed with a dominant top hand, as was many of his stokes. He always made a conscious effort to play the ball with a straight bat, even on shorter pitched balls where he played back foot punches.

Period 2:
The year 2020 marked a subtle yet significant shift in Babar Azam's batting approach. An emphasis on power hitting began to emerge. This was manifested in an increased willingness to utilize his bottom hand more. His signature cover drive, while retaining its core structure, adopted a more fluid aesthetic. Instead of staying solid, he would appear to reach for the ball more and flow through the shot. Interestingly, it looked like he would avoid playing with a solid straight bat.

Period 3:
The most recent phase of Babar’s batting has been marked by a werid change to an unorthodox style. There was an inclusion of unconventional strokes like the slog sweep shot and the audacious 360-degree shot into his repertoire. Notably, his cover drive, once a staple of his batting, seemed to be absent during the PSL 9.

It honestly makes me a bit sad, seeing this change. In PSL 9, on the balls Babar could have nailed a perfect cover drive, he chose to slog them to the leg side or scoop. What could be some reasons behind this change? Do you think he’s aware of it?

I have talked about this topic, just never made a post on it and I'm glad someone did.

Great analysis and very very good post.

Although myself and many other posters have been extremely critical of Babar it is important to understand where things have gone all wrong and his change in technique is probably the best example of it

In his first 4 years as a international cricketer, Babar was given a set role as an accumulator and to for-fill that role our batting order was designed in a way that it was only Babar that acted as an anchor whereas the rest of the line up was filled with steady to aggressive batsmen i.e: Fakhar, Hafeez, Malik, Saifi.

This all changed when Babar was given captaincy and decided to bring his friends into the team. To accomodate guys like Rizwan, Ifti etc who are not just accumulators but pathetic batsmen period, Babar had to change his technique to at the very least develop some form of release shots. By doing this he ruined the classical aspect of his technique and what you see now is a batsmen who is a sitting duck against both quality spin, seam, swing and speed

It is honestly a tragedy how someone with a decent amount of talent destroyed his own career just to satisfy his own pride.

Although myself and many other posters have been extremely critical of Babar it is important to understand where things have gone all wrong and his change in technique is probably the best example of it

In his first 4 years as a international cricketer, Babar was given a set role as an accumulator and to for-fill that role our batting order was designed in a way that it was only Babar that acted as an anchor whereas the rest of the line up was filled with steady to aggressive batsmen i.e: Fakhar, Hafeez, Malik, Saifi.

This all changed when Babar was given captaincy and decided to bring his friends into the team. To accomodate guys like Rizwan, Ifti etc who are not just accumulators but pathetic batsmen period, Babar had to change his technique to at the very least develop some form of release shots. By doing this he ruined the classical aspect of his technique and what you see now is a batsmen who is a sitting duck against both quality spin, seam, swing and speed

It is honestly a tragedy how someone with a decent amount of talent destroyed his own career just to satisfy his own pride.
Tbf to Bobby, I don't mind that he tried to improve and innovate.

When Babar first came onto the scene he was a clean orthodox batsmen but he struggled in strike rotation and sr.

Later in the years he developed that back ton3rd square short for singles and strike rotation, he also incorporated more six hitting shots albeit rarely, his pull shot also improved.

Recently he's been playing more unorthodox strokes because in the world cup his weakness was his lack of backfoot play against spin, which caused him to be mujeeb's bunny. He developed that sweep to play spin off, i don't mind that.

The problem is, that mickey assigned Babar at no 3, because he could hold the end fir other strikers, the formula was similar to what williamson and root would play for their teams, aka one steady batsmen to score vital runs while others play around him freedom of not worrying about the other end.

Fakhar, hafeez, malik, Haris sohail are all batsmen who can strike and up the ante, imad waseem too.

Problem with Bobby is, he decided to fill the team with bootleg versions of himself. A top 8 of Abdullah, Imam, Babar, Rizwan, Saud, Chacha, Shadab, Nawaz

^^ How on earth did Bobby think this was a good idea? This isn't even 1990's batting, this is 1970's batting 😭😭.

Fun fact: the last time Babar played a classical 2019 WC-style cover drive was in August 2023 in the LPL. Haven’t seen one since.

Screen Recording 2024-04-03 at 7.34.57 PM.gif

Fun fact: the last time Babar played a classical 2019 WC-style cover drive was in August 2023 in the LPL. Haven’t seen one since.

View attachment 143019
I'm pretty sure he played a couple against Hazelwood in the December-January test series in Australia, no? And they were quite the glorious drives. A shame Cummins had his number in that series

So he changed is his technique because he dropped sarfraz? Wow what excellent insight.

1. 2017-2020
2. 2020- Mid 2023
3. Late 2023-2024

Period 1:

Period 2:

Period 3:

He sacrificed a bit of elegance for effectiveness (high strike rate). Which is more crucial to the team.

So he changed is his technique because he dropped sarfraz? Wow what excellent insight.
Why do you either take everything literally, or completly misunderstand any and all context?

He said Babar had to change his technique and get out of his comfort zone because he filled his team with accumulators.

And this fact is true, its stated by ramiz raja and many cricket greats and commentators as well, Babar's SR has been a glaring problem so he's had to develop shots to increase it.

In 2017 he didn't have to cause his role was just to be an anchor, but in 2023 he's the star batsmen and he's surrounded by accumulators so he has to up the ante himself while batting.

Why do you either take everything literally, or completly misunderstand any and all context?

He said Babar had to change his technique and get out of his comfort zone because he filled his team with accumulators.

And this fact is true, its stated by ramiz raja and many cricket greats and commentators as well, Babar's SR has been a glaring problem so he's had to develop shots to increase it.

In 2017 he didn't have to cause his role was just to be an anchor, but in 2023 he's the star batsmen and he's surrounded by accumulators so he has to up the ante himself while batting.
And Malik sarfraz etc were aggressive batsmens. Shan has better Sr then Malik and similar to sarfraz and hafeez. Iftikhar who everyone mocks has far better Sr then all of them. But yes let's ignore facts. Make sense for once which I know is very hard since the appointment of Babar for some.

And Malik sarfraz etc were aggressive batsmens. Shan has better Sr then Malik and similar to sarfraz and hafeez. Iftikhar who everyone mocks has far better Sr then all of them. But yes let's ignore facts. Make sense for once which I know is very hard since the appointment of Babar for some.
Calling Malik and Sarfraz the aggressors also made me cackle. By that logic, Ifti, Shadab, Nawaz, etc., are our modern-day equivalents of aggressors (they are more than Malik and Saifi), which renders that reasoning invalid. The team back then also had quite a few accumulators just like it does now.

I don't disagree that Babar has had to change his technique to get out of his comfort zone but I don't think it's just because the team is filled with accumulators because it's not a world of difference to what it was back then. It's just that Pakistan has since been trying to catchup with the world and play faster as a whole. Back when Babar was just Mr. Technique, Pakistan was quickly falling behind as other teams were starting to score 300-350 in ODIs regularly. He has simply been trying to adapt to the modern game. I don't think it's as much to do because he has accumulators all around him. We all know Malik and Saifi were no master blasters of the cricket ball.

That's just my opinion. I agree with OP, but not entirely with the reasons that some posters have used for the change in technique.

As for the change in technique itself, I like what Babar has become. His drives and shots are a lot more flowy, free, and elegant. My best wishes to him

Shan's sr doesn't matters if his maximum limit in odi is scoring a 50 once in a blue moon and usually departing from 0-24 runs scored.

Chacha's sr got inflated due to the NZ series where faced 2nd string scoring on pindi pitches.

Context samjho bhai, you cant compare these 2 with players who've had 100+ games under their belt.

Just like Bobby 60 avg fell, these 2 will fall too if they played that many games lol

Calling Malik and Sarfraz the aggressors also made me cackle. By that logic, Ifti, Shadab, Nawaz, etc., are our modern-day equivalents of aggressors (they are more than Malik and Saifi), which renders that reasoning invalid. The team back then also had quite a few accumulators just like it does now.

I don't disagree that Babar has had to change his technique to get out of his comfort zone but I don't think it's just because the team is filled with accumulators because it's not a world of difference to what it was back then. It's just that Pakistan has since been trying to catchup with the world and play faster as a whole. Back when Babar was just Mr. Technique, Pakistan was quickly falling behind as other teams were starting to score 300-350 in ODIs regularly. He has simply been trying to adapt to the modern game. I don't think it's as much to do because he has accumulators all around him. We all know Malik and Saifi were no master blasters of the cricket ball.

That's just my opinion. I agree with OP, but not entirely with the reasons that some posters have used for the change in technique.

As for the change in technique itself, I like what Babar has become. His drives and shots are a lot more flowy, free, and elegant. My best wishes to him
Unfortunately some posters don't understand cricket that's why they thrown in stuff which doesn't make any sense. Malik is one of the worst players to play this long. Hafeez was a joke of a batsmen for 90% of his career.

I agree Babar has changed but it's definitely not to do with rubbish players like sarfraz, Malik and hafeez lol.

Shan's sr doesn't matters if his maximum limit in odi is scoring a 50 once in a blue moon and usually departing from 0-24 runs scored.

Chacha's sr got inflated due to the NZ series where faced 2nd string scoring on pindi pitches.

Context samjho bhai, you cant compare these 2 with players who've had 100+ games under their belt.

Just like Bobby 60 avg fell, these 2 will fall too if they played that many games lol
Yeah stats don't matter. Iftikhar in last t20 world cup performed better than hafeez has in all of his t20 world along with shan lol. But yes let's ignore stats and facts.

1. 2017-2020
2. 2020- Mid 2023
3. Late 2023-2024

Period 1:

Period 2:

Period 3:

He was the most successful batsman in the PSL so it doesn't matter if he isn't as stylish anymore. What's noteworthy is that he is piling up the runs like he never did before.

Look at their stats and answer if you can't which I am sure you can't than stop running to your mates for support again.
I can answer, but you're going to be egotistical beyond belief, and blind to everything so theirs no point, rhyme or reason.

Secondly you ping me non stop, so the whole avoiding me falls flat.

I made a Diss track on rizwan, who was the one who responded 😂.

Anyway would you like to me answer properly yes or no? Are you willing to listen? Or shall we keep going this passive aggressive route?

Don't pretend you haven't constantly shoved and spammed me with you're lying comments over and over when I have been civil.

As I said, if you'll be passive aggressive, I'll be the same, not my fault.

Stop making every thread a battlefield for your personal attacks and stuff. Can you stay on topic? If you cannot then do not bother to reply to this thread because nobody wants this thread to be derailed.

All irrelevant stuff will be removed now. So post good stuff and on-topic.

I feel like Babar’s batting technique has evolved in a positive way. He now has many more tricks in his book, and we have also seen him upgrade his strike rate in recent years. In my opinion, it can only go up from here for him.

I feel like Babar’s batting technique has evolved in a positive way. He now has many more tricks in his book, and we have also seen him upgrade his strike rate in recent years. In my opinion, it can only go up from here for him.

Babar has always managed to play well in PSL and against 2nd class attacks.

His SR suffers against good bowlers in tournaments.

If what you are saying is true, he should play faster in this coming World Cup against the best attacks of top tier teams.

Only time will tell.

Babar has always managed to play well in PSL and against 2nd class attacks.

His SR suffers against good bowlers in tournaments.

If what you are saying is true, he should play faster in this coming World Cup against the best attacks of top tier teams.

Only time will tell.
What he said isn't all false. I have been observing babar for some time now.

When he came onto the scene he was an orthodox batsmen who struggled with strike rotation, he was basically just another shehzad I 2016 but unlike shehzad he didn't struggle with angling in deliveries nor did he struggle with placement as his shots wouldn't go to the fielders and would go into the gaps, but he was still limited.

However over time, he's developed that shot down to fine leg for singles, he's made attempts to develop sweeps, his cover drive has variations and his pull shot has improved.

Problem with babar is that he has no lofted shot and his backfoot play against spin is non existent.

It's why he's bad at spin and his sr is pathetic. Oh and even though he's developed unorthodox shots, he isn't good at playing any of em.

What he said isn't all false. I have been observing babar for some time now.

When he came onto the scene he was an orthodox batsmen who struggled with strike rotation, he was basically just another shehzad I 2016 but unlike shehzad he didn't struggle with angling in deliveries nor did he struggle with placement as his shots wouldn't go to the fielders and would go into the gaps, but he was still limited.

However over time, he's developed that shot down to fine leg for singles, he's made attempts to develop sweeps, his cover drive has variations and his pull shot has improved.

Problem with babar is that he has no lofted shot and his backfoot play against spin is non existent.

It's why he's bad at spin and his sr is pathetic. Oh and even though he's developed unorthodox shots, he isn't good at playing any of em.

Cant play (leg)spin at all. Kuldeep owned him in 2019 WC and same again 4 years later in 2023. In between Rashid from England got him in the T20 WC final. Shows how weak he is.

Yeah I agree with this, I like how his new technique is more effective for him as a batsman and hopefully he can use it well in the World Cup.

I think that in major events Babar loses confidence. In my opinion his stress management skills are not just up to the mark.

Babar's only problem as far as I have seen is the ball coming into him. Inswing is his enemy. He needs to work on it. Spin was not a major problem for him until he was so pressurized that he could not play spin. He forgot to play sweep shots against spinners earlier but during the PSL 9, we have seen a big improvement. His shot range has increased and was looking pretty easy playing spin as well.

Babar's only problem as far as I have seen is the ball coming into him. Inswing is his enemy. He needs to work on it. Spin was not a major problem for him until he was so pressurized that he could not play spin. He forgot to play sweep shots against spinners earlier but during the PSL 9, we have seen a big improvement. His shot range has increased and was looking pretty easy playing spin as well.
LOL which spinners he faced during PSL?
Shadab full toss Khan?

@y33ny

Babar seem to have a solid base for an anchor player. Which is needed for a solid technique also. But he's not as fidgety and wristy someone like say Virat.

If he takes out a heavier bat for T20s for death overs. Can his solid base and heavier bat with more application allow himself to get more power in his shots?

@y33ny

Babar seem to have a solid base for an anchor player. Which is needed for a solid technique also. But he's not as fidgety and wristy someone like say Virat.

If he takes out a heavier bat for T20s for death overs. Can his solid base and heavier bat with more application allow himself to get more power in his shots?
A heavier bat does not necessarily mean more power; we have already seen his "solid base" prove effective in developing his power-hitting, as shown in Periods 2 and 3 in my analysis. He basically morphed his solid and orthodox technique into a more aggressive one using his solid base.

@y33ny

Not even well built players use heavy bat. I know Tendulkar used 3 lb bat one of the heaviest. Not everyone is like Russell, Stoinis, Pollard. There are small buiilt guys like Dinesh Karthik. Bat speed, use of the crease is their weapon. He hit a 108 meter six yesterday. It was pure bat speed and timing. Sehwag also had tremendous bat speed. To have high bat speed you need very high back lift. When you combine wiith timing you can hit monsterous sixes even wiith slight frame. How do you think Ayesha pakistan woman cricketers hit a 81 meter six? It is pure bat speed.

Babar Is not a power hitter so using a heavy bat might not work for him. He needs to rely on his timing and shot selection to excel and in PSL he has made those changes pretty well. His shot selection range has improved and he was looking much more relaxed on the field than he was at the World Cup.

He just needs to let go of his past failures in ICC tournament and should focus on what he has done in PSL 9, make it more effective and work on his spin game. His back foot vanishes as soon as the spinner comes on.

Babar Is not a power hitter so using a heavy bat might not work for him. He needs to rely on his timing and shot selection to excel and in PSL he has made those changes pretty well. His shot selection range has improved and he was looking much more relaxed on the field than he was at the World Cup.

He just needs to let go of his past failures in ICC tournament and should focus on what he has done in PSL 9, make it more effective and work on his spin game. His back foot vanishes as soon as the spinner comes on.
I think at this point it's a mental thing for him as well. We saw in PSL that when be plays freely, he has all the shots and timing to be aggressive. Just have to apply himself in international cricket more. That also means trusting the batters below him

I think at this point it's a mental thing for him as well. We saw in PSL that when be plays freely, he has all the shots and timing to be aggressive. Just have to apply himself in international cricket more. That also means trusting the batters below him
yes, It is a mental block for him else he is good enough to smash few sixes easily.

His SR has been much higher the last couple years, 146 in 2023 and 142 in 2024 let’s see if it persists.

After watching him play against New Zealand all of his improvements that he showed in PSL 9 went useless

Back