"I accept that my record in Tests outside Asia is below average" : Mohammad Hafeez

Abdullah719

T20I Captain
Runs
Mohammad Hafeez speaking on TV:

"We all wanted to go to England and perform well. When the team needs you then you step up. I was unfit but not that unfit. It was my own wish that I go to England and play. I went there and did a lot of hard work but I failed, which I accept."

"No player's spot is guaranteed in the team. Everyone has to justify their spot in the team. I was performing a role in the team for the past 6 years and I am still performing that role. There is no question of insecurity for me."

"Kohli failed in England and then went to Australia and performed - all his failures were put behind him."

"I accept that my record in Tests outside Asia is below average. At some point, I hope I can improve my stats. But overall playing 50 Tests for Pakistan as an opener averaging nearly 40, I think I have done well for Pakistan."

"I am now playing FC cricket etc. and there is no problem with my fitness."

"For my domestic team, I haven't performed well recently. My team is also struggling overall and conditions are difficult."

"Pitches like the Hagley Oval pitch are often seen in Pakistan domestic cricket. But the pressure of Test cricket is different from FC. The batting attitude was not positive. If you make 87 in 50 overs, you aren't going anywhere. It's all about intent. You can't simply look to survive. Intent was missing."

"Pakistan's preparation for the NZ series hasn't been good."

"We went into a negative shell due to the way we got out in the first innings against NZ."

"Azhar Ali is a top player but I think intent was missing in his innings where he made 30 of 170."

"Pakistan's top bowlers for the past 6 years have mostly been spinners."

"After Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis, the only match-winning fast-bowler for Pakistan has been Umar Gul."

"People say I am under pressure due to not bowling. On what basis do they make that claim? I do miss my bowling but I am primarily a batsman. It's good that my bowling worked for Pakistan but batting is my first love. My stats since I stopped bowling are very good as a batsman."

"Is international cricket not played in UAE? How many hundreds do Sangakkara and Jayawardene have in SL? Ponting in Australia?"

"The gap between Pakistan's FC cricket and intl. cricket is very large."

"The ball that is being used for Pakistan in Test cricket should also be used in domestic cricket. That will make a big difference."

"Domestic matches are finishing in two days. That means there is something wrong with the pitches."

"The pitches in our recent series against England weren't that good."

"When Asad Shafiq played his last 4 Test matches at #3, he should have been continued with at that number. Babar Azam scored three ODI hundreds at #3 but the demands of Test cricket at that number are different."

"When Pakistan needed an opener, they should have brought one instead of juggling the whole lineup."

"I think the Hamilton pitch will suit Pakistan. I hope the Pakistan team makes a comeback."

"I think Pakistan should play Sharjeel in the 2nd Test. His shots could be very handy in those conditions. It's better if Azhar Ali bats at #3 where he has done so well for Pakistan over the years."

"I bowled three overs of off-spin for my bowling test. I couldn't give my bowling test in England as I had pain in my left knee. I didn't want to take the risk of putting pressure on my knee."

"I think it's imperative for Pakistan to have an accredited lab to test bowlers' actions."

"One series failure does not mean a player should be discarded for good. This applies to any player. I fought for this while I was captain also."

"Nawaz is a very good player. I think he is nervous right now. He isn't being played as a batsman which is what he is firstly."

"There are two types of captain - proactive and reactive. Misbah is more of a reactive captain. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have a plan. He is Pakistan's most successful captain. He doesn't have a killer instinct, neither does Azhar Ali. But as long as his approach is working, people shouldn't complain."

"I don't think Misbah curtails players' approach."

"I think Azhar Ali has improved as a batsman in Test cricket after playing ODI cricket. He has more shots and is more well-rounded."

Last edited:
Strange kind of interview, just like his career

"There are two types of captain - proactive and reactive. Misbah is more of a reactive captain. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have a plan. He is Pakistan's most successful captain. He doesn't have a killer instinct, neither does Azhar Ali. But as long as his approach is working, people shouldn't complain."

Pretty solid comment this. Misbah's reactive captaincy is what led us to number 8 in ODIs. Appointing Azhar was just the final nail in the coffin. Can't wait for the day when Azhar is rightfully booted out.

Pretty solid comment this. Misbah's reactive captaincy is what led us to number 8 in ODIs. Appointing Azhar was just the final nail in the coffin. Can't wait for the day when Azhar is rightfully booted out.

The discussion was primarily about Test cricket. Hafeez was just pointing out Misbah's captaincy traits but wasn't doing it in a critical way.

MoHa should look for a second career in Management after retirement. He speaks very well, though sometimes too well - here, there was no need to point Kohli; who also failed like MoHa in UK, but surely MoHa is not going to repeat Kohli in AUS :)

May be he should prepare for Level 3 & gradually Level 4 Management certification from MCC or CA with in next 5 years - he can be much better head coach than the player he is.

Lmao at him comparing himself to Kohli

MoHa should look for a second career in Management after retirement. He speaks very well, though sometimes too well - here, there was no need to point Kohli; who also failed like MoHa in UK, but surely MoHa is not going to repeat Kohli in AUS :)

May be he should prepare for Level 3 & gradually Level 4 Management certification from MCC or CA with in next 5 years - he can be much better head coach than the player he is.

He didn't bring up Kohli - that was the host.

He did, however, bring up Sanga etc. when it was pointed out that he mostly performed in UAE, saying "didn't Sanga and Mahela score a lot of runs in SL and Ponting in Aus" etc.

Any surprise that you would pick on this particular comment. No. And btw Hafeez was talking about tests.

He did, however, bring up Sanga etc. when it was pointed out that he mostly performed in UAE, saying "didn't Sanga and Mahela score a lot of runs in SL and Ponting in Aus" etc.

Still that's uncalled for - he is the worst player in history, when it comes to bat 25 or more innings out-side Asia at 1, 2 or 3; for an average of ~16 - & that has his first innings of 96 at Oval & 4 innings against Mughabe's ZIMBOKs.

I don't think, he has played in AUS (Test), but has played in similar wickets in SAF (6 Tests) & also in NZ (2 Tests) - need to check numbers, but if I can recall correctly, his stats are remarkably similar in SAF & NZ - an average of around 12 & highest being in 30s ........

The host is not the smartest guy - otherwise, he could have made MoHa's life difficult with facts & figures, in a sophisticated way. With his "old actin" bowling, he was top, top ODI all-rounder any where & a very useful Test cricketer in Asia - without that, outside Asia, he will compete with ....................

Hafeez and Afridi always use media to gain sympathy and sneak back into the team. Hafeez should be the last person to comment on kohli and misbah. GO and learn how to bat before lecturing on tv.

Well Sanga, Mahela and Ponting all have scored 100s in England. Something that Hafeez failed to do.

Well Sanga, Mahela and Ponting all have scored 100s in England. Something that Hafeez failed to do.

Hafeez has scored a grand total of ONE fifty (that was in 2006) in FOURTEEN Test matches in England, New Zealand, South Africa and West Indies. He is yet to play in Australia.

There are hardly any 'batsmen' in the world who can compete with this record.

Hafeez has scored a grand total of ONE fifty (that was in 2006) in FOURTEEN Test matches in England, New Zealand, South Africa and West Indies. He is yet to play in Australia.

There are hardly any 'batsmen' in the world who can compete with this record.

That is a gross stat to look at. :((

Translated into English:

"Dear Inzamam,
Please drop Azhar Ali down to Number 3 and let Sharjeel fail as an opener.

Then after Sharjeel fails in Australia it opens up a slot for me to open in the West Indies and UAE.

Yours sincerely,

Mohammad Hafeez"

there's nothing to accept, its a fact- he's a punisher in UAE and totally incapable of runs outside Asia

on top of that he's in his late thirties now and hasn't bowled almost a year and a half - no room for his in the international team

Translated into English:

"Dear Inzamam,
Please drop Azhar Ali down to Number 3 and let Sharjeel fail as an opener.

Then after Sharjeel fails in Australia it opens up a slot for me to open in the West Indies and UAE.

Yours sincerely,

Mohammad Hafeez"

It can work - trust me boss. You have no idea how highly MoHa is rated in PAK ranks for his timing on dead flat UAE tracks without any foot-work. He backed his hand-eye coordination & timing, unfortunately that hand-eye staff is also 40 years old now - but I am not sure, how many can realize that. I keep repeating this because, a player of his record shouldn't be even taking in media before a tour outside Asia, that too without bowling.

But, as I say - most senior PAK players rank him highly, even as good as Mazid Khan - unfortunately, many of those had played with Mazid at his prime, yet ...... you know. And, more unfortunate that one of those gentleman is PAK's Manager now (who thought PAK should have taken 3 openers in WC 2015, as we know there ball swings, bounces & PAK had only one proper opener for the job (Hafeez)).

If Wasim Bari remains in charge for long, MoHa might return as Captain after Misbah retires - you never know.

Is he retiring? Why is he giving comments like this?

he can see the end is near... most of our bad players turn sour when they see the doors closing. ITS TRADITION YAAR :kakmal

Last edited:

lol at hafeez... the point is Sanga and Ponting still have a good avg away from home.. infact sanga avg dropped to 54 from 57 on away matches

Hafeez can only speak well, that is all. Pakistan need to move on from him. There are better spin all rounders than him. Imad is already there. Outside asia you need no more.

Then there is Nawaz and Gohar . Raza Hassan should also come into reckoning soon.

You accept,good. Now don't cry to get into team unless you get at least 10 150+ runs with A team at abroad.

HAfeez confessed he is of no use outside Asia, why Inzi is still talking about his possible return ? Mind-boggling, indeed.

he also has a sort of dellusion considering himself the best batsman for pak in the last years....lolz.

just stats stats ,,but when he will se his stats outside asia......???never...

' I was unfit but not that unfit "

What does that even mean ?

' I was unfit but not that unfit "

What does that even mean ?

Very simple - I was unfit to perform, but just fit enough to be considered for selection due to my experience & .......... class - as they say "fitness is temporary, class is permanent".

"The ball that is being used for Pakistan in Test cricket should also be used in domestic cricket. That will make a big difference."

I'm amazed the PCB after all these years still fail to realise this.

I'm amazed the PCB after all these years still fail to realise this.

I think, I heard from Intekhab a year or two that they were planning to produce Dukes Test quality ball in PAK, which I think is quite possible at probably 25% costing. But, like PSL, it's taking few years more than what it should have been. It's possible as a technological up-gradation by local brands or by joint venture or local manufacturers working as a franchise of Dukes/Kookaburra, with their set standards - market is also there, internally large domestic market & externally in AFG, Nepal, BD, SRL, Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, PNG, Middle East, Kenya, even China. Importing Cricket ball for domestic use at premium foreign currency is not a good idea for Countries with 100+ years of expertise in manufacturing cricket equipment & gears.

Last edited:
Back