"Revamp it, revisit it and play it the way white ball cricket should be played": Imad Wasim

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Imad Wasim in an Ireland pre game presser today answered following queries:

[Reporter:]

So, there's no rain forecast in the next 24 hours. You came out of retirement for this tournament. I'm not going to ask you to speculate about whether you're going to retire again. But with Pakistan eliminated from advancing, what does tomorrow's match mean for you and the team? What are you looking to do and accomplish?

[Imad Wasim:]

Look, I know we're out of the tournament and it's hard for the players but at the end this is an international game, a World Cup game so we won't take anything lightly. We will go out there and play for the country and play for the pride of our country which we already did but unfortunately the results we can't control it. Yeah, but we go out there and play like it's a World Cup game.

You were here at the ground from about 8 - 8.30 am yesterday and you saw for 4 or 5 hours there was no rain before 2 pm and today also there has hardly been any rain and two matches have not taken place and not just because it was an important match for you, just as at a World Cup, wouldn't you expect better drainage and to get a match on?

It's not my domain to comment on this but you cannot control weather. I mean it was raining for the last week and literally like I have never seen rain in my life like that. So, you cannot blame the groundsman or the ICC. It's just the event, it's just the venue they have decided it before and I don't know It was it was tough that is washed out, but it is what it is. We shouldn't let this happen We should have We should have won our both games in order to be in a safe zone. But unfortunately, couldn't happen. But could not blame the weather or the groundsman.

Pakistan didn't qualify. But in the match against India, Pakistan had the game. We were hoping that you would finish the match and come back. Just like you did in PSL. You finished the matches with great performance. So, was it a game plan to take the game deep? Or what happened there? We were very optimistic that you will finish the game and we will hit Axar Patel. But it didn't happen. Ultimately Pakistan got out. What was the game plan?

The game plan was to take the ball deep. The wicket was not good to play. It was a little difficult. Unfortunately, my plan was going according to plan but not execution. Because usually when I bat, I take the ball deep. And if I hit any boundary on either end, the game would have been different. Having said that, he did very well in bowling and he did it on the spot. He didn't bowl too badly. Usually, under pressure, bowlers give you a ball and there is a margin. But I think I was taking the game deep and I was hoping that a new batsman would come and for that it is virtually impossible. But Naseem hit two good shots. That 17th over, I think, I feel that the move of the runs in that over was a turning point. It's unfortunate that it happens, it's an incident but it was a big game. Our team and I are more disappointed than you are. I let down because usually when I go in this situation, I am very calm and finish the job. And this was my job to finish which I couldn't do. I will regret this and I still regret it. But this is life. Sometimes you make mistakes. But life is like that, sometimes you make mistakes. So, you can say that this was a phase in my life which I unfortunately could not achieve. I will regret it, but my execution was not good.

There is news since morning that you and Amir are going to take retirement again, you just came to play the World Cup - First, you clear this. Second, you, Aamir, and the rest of the Pakistani team's squad, how much do you all respect the fact that the USA and India match came out of your hands, which you all were trusted, especially you two, you couldn't play it out.

See, this is not in the hand of 1 or 2 people, it is teamwork. When you lose, you lose as a team. Like I said, I should have finished the game in India. But the team loses - it's not just me. Individuals don't lose.

Secondly, as far as retirement is concerned, there's a match tomorrow. We'll play a match. And obviously, after that, we'll think about it and sort out whatever we need to. Because to be honest, a lot of things are going to be sorted out in the Pakistan team. The chairman and the board will sort it out. We have given away two games by ourselves. We have given away the match by ourselves not because of an individual, but collectively, because of team effort, we gave away the match by ourselves. There is no excuse for that. Losing to USA, well, losing is a part of the game, but we shouldn't have lost to USA. Even against India - we had that game in our hands and we shouldn't have lost. So, there is no excuse for anything. We are losing matches collectively. And I will tell you again that we never lose a match because of one or two individuals. Matches are lost because of the whole team. Whether someone does it well or not, that's why it's called team sport. If it was an individual, anyone can blame anyone and everything can be taken out of the rest. But you have to sit and think where mistakes are happening, how are they happening, why are they happening and you have to sort it out.

After the match against Ireland - we will sit down and talk and then decide. I don't do anything secretly. I told everyone when retired last time - If something happens, I will come and tell everyone.

You said you need to sort out some things. Please elaborate on what you need to sort out. You have been a team analyst and have been a part of the team. In that phase, where did you make mistakes? Because you are a senior member of the team. What are the elements that you think you lost as a team? Did you play as a team? And what mistakes did you make? If you could highlight that as a senior player.

As far as you mentioned, I used to be an analyst. I have always talked about cricket. I have never talked about it personally or to an individual or to a person or done any body shaming. Cricketers have to do their job and analyse the cricket. They have to tell you what is right and what is wrong. Of cricket, the way of cricket, the way we should play cricket. I think we should play the game, the way we should play the game where world cricket is going. And the second question is, should we sort out the way we should play the game, the way we should play, the way we should bring awareness, the way we should chase, approach, and field. All these things come into this. We will sit and sort out how to play way of cricket. And I think Pakistan cricket - it happens in group stages, but I don’t think Pakistan has ever been out this way. So, there is a lot of disappointment. We are more disappointed than you are. This is our profession. And we are disappointed. It is obvious.

When you fall, how do you get up and approach the world? And how do you react? That is what we have to see now. It is a very sad thing. But, who knows, it could be a big thing for Pakistan cricket. Revamp it, revisit it and play it the way white ball cricket should be played. So, me personally and our team, including me, are very disappointed and sad. And the whole public is sad that we didn't perform well and we are to blame for it. But I would also like to say that we are human beings, we can make mistakes and we are also saddened by these things.

A lot of people looking at it and saying, do Pakistan now need to make a lot of big changes or you think that the basics are there and it was just one game against the USA?

It's not my domain but what I think, that's what I think, it's not my domain to do things, but I think there should be changes and there should be a drastic change so we can move forward and fight with the world cricket how the cricket is playing. That's what I can say.

What kind of change?

I already mentioned everything, in everything. And every aspect, how to take the game on, how to play the game. And this is what I believed in. And this is why I came back and tried to do things but couldn't happen. And you can also say the wickets are a bit tougher than what you think and any team can beat anyone. You can see Nepal was almost through. So, things can happen but I think the approach, how we play the game, I think we will change that and all of the boys are eager to do that because this defeat hurt us really badly.

After losing to India, the chairman made a strong statement that the team needs surgery. Do you think that the team – in this situation, need a surgery? And also, we are seeing that the central contracts are going under review, so if you get an offer from central contract, will you consider it?

Personally, I don’t know anything about the central contract, but if the chairman has said that the team needs surgery, then obviously he will do something about it. I have no connection with this, I can't say anything or do anything. Chairman sir has said that, so whatever he does, we have to accept it.

You were not 100% fit, which was discussed in your running and in the match against India, it was said that if you were fully fit, the results would have changed. How much do you agree with this?

No, no, it's not like that. I played the match. I was 100% fit. The medical panel approved me to be 100% fit. So, I came to play the match. There is not truth in this.

And secondly, I know there are many other things happening. When you lose a match, different people talk about different things. You give people a chance to talk about you. Unfortunately, we have given them a chance to talk. But there are some things in the media that are not truthful. I have come to address that because I think I am very sad. I am also disappointed and sad. But it's not like that. There are a few other things like fitness. I think there are a few more things but I don't want to talk about them. But it's not like that. I have played cricket my whole life. I have played cricket with fighting spirit. Yes, there was no execution. You can say that it was my fault. But please don't say anything about the rest of the things. Because we have families and people. It is sad to hear such things.

You have been a senior cricketer playing for so long. So, do you think this is the lowest point that Pakistan cricket has hit in your playing career?

Yes, this is the lowest point. You can't go any lower than this. That's the fact.

And was it completely unacceptable to lose to US? Is that the more important point than instead of just talking over the India loss?

You cannot say unacceptable. Yes, you can say the team we have, it's unacceptable.

We see that in our subcontinent, the ground is always covered, but not here. In just one area, due to the wet patches the ground matches didn’t go ahead. How unfortunate is it?

I think this depends on ICC – how they will review this.

I think, if the wicket and square is dry – I’ll give you one reason – when we play in Sri Lanka or any other place, they cover the entire ground. And the venue where the game is being played, there are around 20 – 30 – 35 people to take care of this.

I think next time ICC will review this, that the ground should be completely covered, so as soon as the rain stops, we can play the match.

But I will tell you personally, we should not have let it come to this situation. We should have won our matches and we should not have trusted others. So, it is our fault, giving excuses now is no use. We didn't play well. We didn't play well in the tournament. If you don't play well, you don't deserve to win a tournament or go to a deep tournament. So, I believe that we didn't play well. We had and have the potential, but as a team we couldn't deliver and we have to accept our mistakes.

As a senior player, Imad, in both the games we lost Method, skill set, mindset, approach or our back of the mind, fear of failure, due to which we doubt ourselves. As a senior player, what do you think, as a unit, is there a pinpoint reason why we failed?

It's, in my opinion, I'm giving my personal opinion. Don’t make these the headlines.

It's all your mindset. What mindset do you want to play the game with? You either play fire with fire, or you play your way. So, I personally believe that you should play fire with fire. And even if you lose, you can sit down and say to yourself that on that day we were not good enough.

The problem is our team is so good, our players are so good that we are good enough to play any kind of cricket. So, we haven't tried that but the thing is you have to try that, you have to get rid of fear of failure mindset. In everything - batting, bowling, fielding, you have to get rid of fear of failure mindset. As I said earlier, personal change doesn't change anything, just changing the mindset can change a lot of things. The same ball can be hit by a sixer, a four, a single, and that same ball can take a wicket and a be dot ball.

We compete with the world's best teams. Their mindset has changed over time. We used to rule in T20 cricket. I think we have moved back a little now. Maybe our mindset - in all three areas. I won't say any one area. We should approach the game in all three areas. If you change the mind of the player, you can achieve things beyond your limits. I always believe in this.

You can talk a lot, but it is what it is - today, we are out of the tournament and whatever happens in the next World Cup, whoever plays, however they play, I think if we go with the right approach mindset, the results will be better for us.

Babar fans won’t be asking why Babar didn’t come out to speak to the media today.

Couldn’t face the music?

What a coward captain, there’s absolutely no signs of leadership skills when it comes to Babar. He’s everything you wouldn’t want in a captain.

If I was the captain, I’d send the youngsters to the press after a win, and after we lose I’d make sure that I face all the heat from the media. Babar does the opposite. What a coward.

How tf did we go from Imran Khan to this clown?

Babar fans won’t be asking why Babar didn’t come out to speak to the media today.

Couldn’t face the music?

What a coward captain, there’s absolutely no signs of leadership skills when it comes to Babar. He’s everything you wouldn’t want in a captain.

If I was the captain, I’d send the youngsters to the press after a win, and after we lose I’d make sure that I face all the heat from the media. Babar does the opposite. What a coward.

None of them are much different.
Imad shouldn't be snaking out on his team while the tournament is going on of which he's a part of.

Babar is a poor captain and most definitely an egomaniac. Imad isn't a benevolent outsider he's been portraying himself as since last 3 years.

Regarding sending others to the press conference, what's the role of "Senior Team Manager" Wahab Riaz here if he can't even come out for a presser.

Couldn’t face the music?

He thought Natravalker was bowling a super over

I'm glad he agrees an overhaul is needed.

It is going to be a 5 year piece of work to raise the level. They should give full backing to Kirsten to lead this transition.

My signal is until we produce 4 genuine batters with good techniques and ability to thrive under pressure we will not have arrived.

Lol Imad fans kept denying and here is Imad accepting that he was at fault.

Anyways, for once, a good press conference where the speaker answered questions with something to say. Not the usual, oh ground mein dekhay gaye, selectors ke marzi, pcb jawab dey sakta.

Good on him to accept responsibility, and answered to the media. He is right, team is to be blamed and not one or two individuals, great answers.

However, him taking retirement and coming out of retirement is still a selfish move on his part and is part of the problem aswell.

All of these loud mouth are useless. There is one more going bonkers nowadays, he was a terrible player before and will always remain terrible.

He is a limited batsman. But can't judge batsmen based on the dodgy New york wickets where they played directly without any practice.

LOL you had to chase 120 not 220, always this take the game deep non sense. If you know the wicket will be tough to bat on later, make sure you plan to win with 10 balls to spare.

This was such a straigforward chase. I mean he says play with fire, then play and make sure you finish the job on time. Not waiting for the 20th over.

Sorry bunch of tourists.

LOL you had to chase 120 not 220, always this take the game deep non sense. If you know the wicket will be tough to bat on later, make sure you plan to win with 10 balls to spare.

This was such a straigforward chase. I mean he says play with fire, then play and make sure you finish the job on time. Not waiting for the 20th over.

Sorry bunch of tourists.

Wrong T word at the end bro

Imad is an intelligent lad. We'd have 2 WCs if he was captain in 2021 and 2022.
Hilarious.

Imad is a proven fraud. Just another Pakistani cricketer who talks a good game but doesn’t have the ability & the guts to execute it when the responsibility falls on his shoulders.

Pakistan would have absolutely not won the 2021 & 2022 World Cups if he was captain.

Had he not played in this World Cup, you would have told us that he would have won the India match for Pakistan.

Pakistani fans are alwaysinf clinging onto fantasies & alternate realities.

He is right about Pakistan needing a revamp, but this revamp should start from the likes of Imad not playing a single international match ever again.

Imad is meant to be a genuine all rounder, he is neither a batter or a bowler and has done nothing of notes in both disciplines

Imad knows he has no future for Pakistan after this game hence he is happy to bow out with no fear of consequences
If he retires tomorrow then that would be a really big decision. Bearing in mind the efforts he made for the comeback

Pakistan should drop Imad for tomorrow’s game vs Ireland, if it does go ahead. Never want to see him in a Pakistan shirt again. Did everything he could to ruin team morale both in the England tour and this tournament

Last edited by a moderator:

Couldn’t face the music?

Standard behavior from Babar. Whenever the chips are down, he hides. Not the first time he refused to face the media after a terrible showing by his Buddies XI.

Hilarious.

Imad is a proven fraud. Just another Pakistani cricketer who talks a good game but doesn’t have the ability & the guts to execute it when the responsibility falls on his shoulders.

Pakistan would have absolutely not won the 2021 & 2022 World Cups if he was captain.

Had he not played in this World Cup, you would have told us that he would have won the India match for Pakistan.

Pakistani fans are alwaysinf clinging onto fantasies & alternate realities.

He is right about Pakistan needing a revamp, but this revamp should start from the likes of Imad not playing a single international match ever again.

Live in your Babar fantasy world. Your boys cost us 4 shots at WCs now. Timid and mentally fragile.

Look at Imad's stats he's a solid white ball AR. Maybe getting over the hill now but he's been mistreated by Pakistan without doubt. British Pakistanis are a possible salvation for Pakistan cricket but not if wasted like Imad.

Live in your Babar fantasy world. Your boys cost us 4 shots at WCs now. Timid and mentally fragile.

Look at Imad's stats he's a solid white ball AR. Maybe getting over the hill now but he's been mistreated by Pakistan without doubt. British Pakistanis are a possible salvation for Pakistan cricket but not if wasted like Imad.

England gets Adil Rashid and Pakistan gets Shadab :ROFLMAO:

OZ gets Khawaja and Pakistan gets Rizwan

All fingers point to the system. It's not a lack of talent.

Couldn’t face the music?

Babar is an illiterate. I’m no Imad fan but he can atleast articulate his thoughts. Babar would keep repeating that vee have plan vee need better perfaaarmance.

Babar is an illiterate. I’m no Imad fan but he can atleast articulate his thoughts. Babar would keep repeating that vee have plan vee need better perfaaarmance.
“Execute the plan”

That’s one of his classic lines

I felt as though first few questions are asked by Babar's pr team to put the blame on imad .I think its good strategy for him to accept the blame and vocal about major changes to irk babar

Lol Imad fans kept denying and here is Imad accepting that he was at fault.

Anyways, for once, a good press conference where the speaker answered questions with something to say. Not the usual, oh ground mein dekhay gaye, selectors ke marzi, pcb jawab dey sakta.

Good on him to accept responsibility, and answered to the media. He is right, team is to be blamed and not one or two individuals, great answers.

However, him taking retirement and coming out of retirement is still a selfish move on his part and is part of the problem aswell.
How is it selfish on his part if the PCB asked him to come out of retirement?

After the match against Ireland - we will sit down and talk and then decide. I don't do anything secretly. I told everyone when retired last time - If something happens, I will come and tell everyone.
So basically, he is saying that he is brought for just this world cup and he is not sure about his future.

That is not how PCB should run things. It has negative effects on the top performances of domestics. Imad and amir should continue to play of they are loyal enough. We cannot be bringing people back from the dead at the last moment every time. That trend should not prevail.

Happened once, that should be it now.

Surprisingly candid presser from Imad. I can't imagine many other Pakistani players giving these kind of honest answers. Usually its the same old rubbish i.e. 'we were 10-15 runs short' or 'our bowlers let us down'...very little introspection or honesty. Imad has always been a very smart and self-aware cricketer which has allowed him to be successful despite being fairly limited in all facets. So it doesn't surprise me that he has some level of awareness regarding where Pakistan are.

It is a shame that four years of his career were wasted just because Mohammad Wasim had it out for him and thought that Mohammad Nawaz was a better cricketer. But then again what is Pakistan cricket, if not a saga of missed opportunities, untapped potential and self-sabotage?

Reading this did give me the feeling though that he has either played his last game for Pakistan or is playing his last game for Pakistan today.

Imad is and always has been average.

Average of 15 with the bat in T20Is, average of 60+ with the ball in ODIs vs the proper sides. Poor fitness & poor in the field as well.

Zero wickets vs India in his international career in spite of playing 5-6 matches vs them if not more.

An absolute nonsense cricketer with little talent & skill but plenty of ego & attitude massaged by deluded fans. This World Cup was a much needed reality check for them.

Imad with the bat & Shaheen full tosses galore Afridi deliberately under performed

Take the game deep has become a religion in Pakistan cricket.

Why would you want to take the chase deep knowing one of the best death overs bowlers in the world in Bumrah is coming back at the end ?
That shows how much cricketing brain these duds have, after playing professional cricket for so many years at the top level...

USA part-time cricketers got better game awareness and thinking than these qudrat ka nizam tullaybaaz..

In these revamping we need to introduce proper all rounders also. And Imad unfortunately is not one of them

Imad with the bat & Shaheen full tosses galore Afridi deliberately under performed
Yes Afridi deliberately under-performed , making his father in law proud... Afridiss are expert in this, if one can rmb those days were he did the same when removed from captaincy ( which was stupid thing to give it Misbah after 2011 WC, but then he did underperform)

In these revamping we need to introduce proper all rounders also. And Imad unfortunately is not one of them
He should shut his mouth , the audacity to speak after losing the match with his tuk tuk against India and satisfying his ego to put Babar on bad light...

Amir did perform genuinely , hats off to him... This guy came to USA on a holiday and thought he will make a name for himself shown his mediocrity at his level best....

Back