"I am proud of my pacers. We dominate everyone": Babar Azam

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Babar Azam in pre-game presser ahead of the Pakistan v India game tomorrow:

"We are not frustrated but we are focussing on the things that we can control, the weather is not in our hands; We had heard that it has been constantly raining for the past 4 days but looking at things now, it doesn't appear that there will be rain tomorrow."

"One could say that we have an edge over India because we have been playing back-to-back cricket between Pakistan and Sri Lanka, and we have been in Sri Lanka for the past 2.5 months, where we played a Test series, a series against Afghanistan, LPL games and now are playing in the Asia Cup so you can say we have an advantage."

"We have started well with the ball and we also try to utilize the middle overs which is why in the previous game we played with a different plan, as we gave an additional fast-bowler the opportunity to play; So we are seeing what the best combination we can use; We do need to take wickets in middle overs as well but we are not getting those wickets - having said that, you will see we are finishing off very well with the help of our fast bowlers; This is a team game and everyone has to contribute, in the last game Iftikhar came in late in the 30th over or so and bowled very well; As team we try and utilize all players in the best way"

"The teams we announce are based on the conditions and we always keep our options open; It's not as if we are stuck in our thinking that we have to always play a certain player or go in with a set team combination; The team management and I are very clear about what team combination and player to play against which team; We have confidence in each player and have no doubts about their abilities; We have now moved away from that style of thinking and only look at what we need to do to win matches and tournaments - that is all that matters to me"

The reason Pakistan not announcing WC Squad because it may break the hearts of some of the players in the Asia Cup Squad

"That is not the case, we are considering now about how much more we can improve from how we are doing in Asia Cup, and we are trying new combinations, and we have almost decided on the 15-18 players we have to go with for the World Cup but we are still seeing what can be the best for us."

"Look this is not about breaking hearts but an opportunity, so let's see in who's favour this goes, it's not my decision but these things come from up above (pointed up - as in Almighty) as to who will end up where and who will play, our job is to choose the best for the team and to do what is suitable for us, all players know this".

The secret of success for Pakistan fast bowlers:

"I am very proud of our fast-bowlers, as the fast-bowling line-up I have is one of the best based upon how we have dominated in recent times; Look, matches and tournaments, especially the big ones, are won by fast-bowlers; I have full belief in my fast-bowlers and the whole group, including Mohammad Wasim Jr and Faheem Ashraf, are the best lot and they always dominate the opposition; The secret of their success is the fact that they have a belief in themselves; They stay together as a group and if one of them is not having a good day, then the other covers up for him and so on; Even in batting or fielding, we move forward together as this is how we have been working with each other and this is giving us benefit"

Babar Azam in pre-game presser ahead of the Pakistan v India game tomorrow:

"We are not frustrated but we are focussing on the things that we can control, the weather is not in our hands; We had heard that it has been constantly raining for the past 4 days but looking at things now, it doesn't appear that there will be rain tomorrow."

"One could say that we have an edge over India because we have been playing back-to-back cricket between Pakistan and Sri Lanka, and we have been in Sri Lanka for the past 2.5 months, where we played a Test series, a series against Afghanistan, LPL games and now are playing in the Asia Cup so you can say we have an advantage."

"We have started well with the ball and we also try to utilize the middle overs which is why in the previous game we played with a different plan, as we gave an additional fast-bowler the opportunity to play; So we are seeing what the best combination we can use; We do need to take wickets in middle overs as well but we are not getting those wickets - having said that, you will see we are finishing off very well with the help of our fast bowlers; This is a team game and everyone has to contribute, in the last game Iftikhar came in late in the 30th over or so and bowled very well; As team we try and utilize all players in the best way"

"The teams we announce are based on the conditions and we always keep our options open; It's not as if we are stuck in our thinking that we have to always play a certain player or go in with a set team combination; The team management and I are very clear about what team combination and player to play against which team; We have confidence in each player and have no doubts about their abilities; We have now moved away from that style of thinking and only look at what we need to do to win matches and tournaments - that is all that matters to me"

The reason Pakistan not announcing WC Squad because it may break the hearts of some of the players in the Asia Cup Squad

"That is not the case, we are considering now about how much more we can improve from how we are doing in Asia Cup, and we are trying new combinations, and we have almost decided on the 15-18 players we have to go with for the World Cup but we are still seeing what can be the best for us."

"Look this is not about breaking hearts but an opportunity, so let's see in who's favour this goes, it's not my decision but these things come from up above (pointed up - as in Almighty) as to who will end up where and who will play, our job is to choose the best for the team and to do what is suitable for us, all players know this".

The secret of success for Pakistan fast bowlers:

"I am very proud of our fast-bowlers, as the fast-bowling line-up I have is one of the best based upon how we have dominated in recent times; Look, matches and tournaments, especially the big ones, are won by fast-bowlers; I have full belief in my fast-bowlers and the whole group, including Mohammad Wasim Jr and Faheem Ashraf, are the best lot and they always dominate the opposition; The secret of their success is the fact that they have a belief in themselves; They stay together as a group and if one of them is not having a good day, then the other covers up for him and so on; Even in batting or fielding, we move forward together as this is how we have been working with each other and this is giving us benefit"
Babar Azam's thoughtful and strategic approach to the upcoming match and his insights into team dynamics and player selection reflect a captain who is focused on performance and success. His emphasis on adaptability, unity among players, and belief in the fast-bowling talent bodes well for Pakistan's prospects in the Asia Cup and the upcoming World Cup. Cricket fans can look forward to an exciting contest and watch how Pakistan continues to evolve as a competitive cricket team under his leadership.

Why does Babar care about breaking hearts? Is he worried that he might upset friends?

Why does Babar care about breaking hearts? Is he worried that he might upset friends?
he did not say that, it was asked by him. Plz re read what has been writte.

Squad selections for major tournaments can be emotionally charged because not all players can be included due to team size limitations. As a captain and a leader, Babar Azam may be aware of the dedication and hard work put in by each player and understands the disappointment that comes with not being selected.
While it's natural for players to have friends within the team, professional sports require individuals to prioritize the team's success over personal relationships or preferences. Babar Azam, as a captain, is expected to make squad decisions based on cricketing considerations rather than personal friendships to ensure the team performs at its best.

Lot of talk from Pakistan

To be fair, Babar was asked about the secret of success for the Pakistan pacers and he replied.

Did babar said this or did a journalist asked this?

Cause now everywhere on social media ppl are saying babar said this.

Did babar said this or did a journalist asked this?

Cause now everywhere on social media ppl are saying babar said this.
He was asked

1. Do you feel proud when there is talk about your fast bowlers success
2. What is the secret of their success

And he answered exactly as I have put the quotes

He was specifically asked by a journalist..what about heart breaks if a certain player is not selected for worldcup? Is that the reason you have not announced, your world cup squad during asia cup and you want asia cup to conclude before announcing world cup squad?

"I have full belief in my fast-bowlers and the whole group, including Mohammad Wasim Jr and Faheem Ashraf, are the best lot and they always dominate the opposition; The secret of their success is the fact that they have a belief in themselves; They stay together as a group and if one of them is not having a good day, then the other covers up for him and so on"

Famous last words?

I like the comment about breakig hearts whilst a tournament is on and in full swing. wish the BCCI dolts wuold have waited for this to get over. imaging the damages they have done to sanju samson.
unfortunately, bcci is all about money only

Haris was steady, Naseem I thought was superb.

It was Shaheen's first spell that was below-par and that caused the damage.

I think it's too soon for Babar to use words like dominate - it can always come back and bite you on the backside.

Not really concerned about today's performance. The team have travelled a lot in a short space of time which has a significant impact on body and mind.

Our pacers are brilliant but inexperienced so everything is a learning curve. Shaheen will learn that in ODI's not every ball needs to be a wicket taking one in order to be effective.

Still backing this trio to be superb at the WC.

Not really concerned about today's performance. The team have travelled a lot in a short space of time which has a significant impact on body and mind.

Our pacers are brilliant but inexperienced so everything is a learning curve. Shaheen will learn that in ODI's not every ball needs to be a wicket taking one in order to be effective.

Well said. Still relatively inexperienced

Got taken apart by Hitman and Gilldulkar today.

The answer has been found.

Unfortunately in a crucial game Afridi will get slaughtered and cost us. Most likely v Australia or England.

As soon as this headline popped up, I feared something like this would happen. For all his batting gifts, Babar is too mentally and tactically deficient to be a captain which explains why he's never won a major tournament either in U19, domestic, PSL or internationals.

This goes with his other gems:

"It was a below the belt decision" - after his early declaration to demonstrate he can be an aggressive captain like Ben Stokes nearly giftwrapped NZ a Test that was heading for a draw.

"The last few Test matches we've played we've dominated" - after the 0-3 blanking to ENG.

Please ensure Ihsanullah's fitness as soon as possible and opt for a full pace attack consisting of Afridi, Rauf, Naseem, and Ihsanullah. He will be the X factor capable of keeping any batting lineup on its toes. We will still have two supporting spinners in Ifti, Agha and Shadab.

Please ensure Ihsanullah's fitness as soon as possible and opt for a full pace attack consisting of Afridi, Rauf, Naseem, and Ihsanullah. He will be the X factor capable of keeping any batting lineup on its toes. We will still have two supporting spinners in Ifti, Agha and Shadab.
To be fair to Faheem, he has bowled really well.

I do agree that Ihsanullah is the future though. However, he does not compete with Faheem who is an all rounder.

What a massive reality check for this overhyped bowling attack!

Its not overhyped. They are good.

Shaheen is a big talent. Yes he is some distance away from being a complete bowler but he is a massive talent. He is yet to learn to bowl in conditions where he doesn't get movement in the air. But he is young and will learn.

Naseem gets natural outswing. Yes he isn't the most accurate but again he is young.

Haris Rauf still has 3-4 years of cricket in him and is a hit the beck bowler unlike the other two swing bowlers.

I don't know why Pakistan hasn't played Ihsanullah. Much better than Faheem.

Its not overhyped. They are good.

Shaheen is a big talent. Yes he is some distance away from being a complete bowler but he is a massive talent. He is yet to learn to bowl in conditions where he doesn't get movement in the air. But he is young and will learn.

Naseem gets natural outswing. Yes he isn't the most accurate but again he is young.

Haris Rauf still has 3-4 years of cricket in him and is a hit the beck bowler unlike the other two swing bowlers.

I don't know why Pakistan hasn't played Ihsanullah. Much better than Faheem.

They are good. Everyone knows this. They will continue to be good and sometimes they will dominate the batsmen and sometimes they will be dominated.

They are overhyped by our deluded fans and media who make absurd claims like India cannot play them and that they are the best in the world.

They are not. There is no standout bowling attack in the world right now. All the major sides are fairly comparable except England who have clearly a weaker attack compared to Pakistan, India, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

The problem with Shaheen if you attack him early, he gets rattled and begins to bowel pies. The likes of England, NZ and Australia will be licking their lips and I fear for him in the world cup. Too much hype and pressure for somebody still young. I hope he proves me wrong but he has not got the bowling nous like somebody like Jaspreet/Cummins.

Before this match vs India, everyone would agree with Babar Azam statement but this match has given us the reality check that if Pakistani pacers don't get 2-3 wickets in the first 10 overs in One Day cricket then it could be trouble for team Pakistan. Especially, when they don't have a spinner at the moment who is on top of his game.

Too much talk from Pakistan after what was a rained-off match.

They didn't win the previous match, yet were saying some stuff as if they had thrashed India by 100 runs.

A few harsh lessons learnt.

now its a big ask how babar will use his bowlers without haris and naseem.

suddenly bowling of pakistan looks so weak now.

now its a big ask how babar will use his bowlers without haris and naseem.

suddenly bowling of pakistan looks so weak now.
Should have thought about it when he had the chance to brood all of his seamers with the B string sides touring Pakistan, also the Afghanistan 3 ODIs

You always, ALWAYS prepare for the inevitability of your 3 main seamers getting injured.

Australia have been using all kinds of seamers in the past 4 years, still Starc Hazlewood and Cummins will be their main 3,,, but a battery of bowlers are ready to step up if needed!

It seems as if it has all been going downhill ever since he made that statement. First India piled up a huge total and then 2 of our main fast bowlers got injured.

Should have thought about it when he had the chance to brood all of his seamers with the B string sides touring Pakistan, also the Afghanistan 3 ODIs

You always, ALWAYS prepare for the inevitability of your 3 main seamers getting injured.

Australia have been using all kinds of seamers in the past 4 years, still Starc Hazlewood and Cummins will be their main 3,,, but a battery of bowlers are ready to step up if needed!
well i will take it positively because we are about to go in a bigger tournament so its good for us to see the reality where we are standing right now and what are the changes which we need to make.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too much talk from Pakistan after what was a rained-off match.

They didn't win the previous match, yet were saying some stuff as if they had thrashed India by 100 runs.

A few harsh lessons learnt.

I was surprised with the statements.

India wasn't bowled out for 150. India made 266. And in those overcast conditions i would back Bumrah and co. To make life difficult.

Yet the statements made it look like India has lost by a huge margin.

Our pacers are fine. I see no problem with naseem, Shaheen or Rauf.

Problem is their ain't anyone else to support these guys. If bumrah, Siraj or thakur fail, Kuldeep and pandya and jadeja will pull it back and back their trio.

Who's going to back our trio? Shadab? Nawaz? Faheem?

India wasn't bowled out for 150. India made 266. And in those overcast conditions i would back Bumrah and co. To make life difficult.

Question asked, he replied, they became headlines.

Yeah. 20 runs more and Pakistan were 200 % not chasing it. But 266 was kind of in between score so it would have depended on how conditions panned out. Pakistan are good at chasing middling scores where Rizwan can take his time.

Babar Azam in his post game presser when asked regarding absence of Naseem and Rauf for this game:

"Definitely, when you lose 2 of your best bowlers, that does cost (effect) your team, but the other bowlers and all other players did give their 100% in this game, but we did not finish well"

Our pacers are world class. Only if babar doesn't keep injuring them. 😂.

A lot will depend on SSA but he is struggling with his line and his ability to respond when the heat is on. It shocks me that it takes him 3 overs or more to get his line right around off stump.

A lot will depend on SSA but he is struggling with his line and his ability to respond when the heat is on. It shocks me that it takes him 3 overs or more to get his line right around off stump.
Shaheen also not looking fit to me, he always get tired after bowling a 4 over spell and his bowling speed decreases significantly neither he maintains a proper controlled line in his 2nd spell.

This all is happening due to playing so many t20 leagues, his body is resisting now playing a longer format.

Shaheen also not looking fit to me, he always get tired after bowling a 4 over spell and his bowling speed decreases significantly neither he maintains a proper controlled line in his 2nd spell.

This all is happening due to playing so many t20 leagues, his body is resisting now playing a longer format.
Maybe, but he needs to do more long distance running. As soon SSA goes around the wicket, it's a normally a sign that he has run out of ideas

Man I really hate this narrative that’s being peddled for Naseem Shah and the lack of workload management for these cricketers.

Our cricketers are not fit, end of. Other players play a lot more, and Pakistan has played long format cricket a lot less than other countries. If you think bowling four overs will lead to injuries, you really do not know much about cricket.

These boys have actually played very less and their muscles aren’t developing as well as they should, due to too much short format cricket and a lack of ODIs/Tests.

Naseem’s case is not about workload management, he complained of this shoulder discomfort back in the England Test series. The management didn’t take his case seriously and brushed it aside. In Pakistan, you are only as good as your last game and Naseem must have felt compelled to carry forward despite the slight niggle that was concerning him. This rotten culture needs to change and this starts all the way from the top.

Don't know why they can't dominate in major tournaments so we as a nation will also feel proud.

Pakistan has had a history of producing great fast bowlers including Fazal Mahmood, Imran Khan, Sarfraz Nawaz, Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis and Shoaib Akhtar. Current pace trio boasts one of the world's best fast-bowling attacks.

With Naseem gone - how weak is the Pakistan line-up?

Inzamam speaking in his presser today highlighting a major crisis in Pakistan's pacer ranks

“There are a number of injury issues among fast bowlers,"

"Like there was Hasnain, he’s had an injury and has been operated by doctors. Ihsanullah just had an elbow operation. Our options in fast bowling are depleted.”

At the moment, I would say that there is no domination. Our bowling looks fragile. Not good to be honest.

With Naseem Shah, the Pakistani pace attack was potent.
Also the spin bowling is at an all time low in Pakistan.

Thank you Gill, Kohli and KL Rahul.

We will not forget the great service you did. This treatment was necessary to zip our mouths and humble us.

Rauf leaks runs but atleast he looks a wicket taking threat in the middle overs.

I felt that six hit off his short balls today was a matter of millimeters - could just as well have skied a catch.

The rest of the attack were below par.

Really missing Naseem Shah. Wonder if he would have made the difference ?

shaheen is useful is in the opening spells and even in that the guys just blindly bowls full bowls hoping for it to swing if it don't swing he keeps bowling full...never goes for that tight good length ball zooming towards off stump. dont know why people hype him soo much...Naseem 100 times better then him

Last edited by a moderator:
shaheen is useful is in the opening spells and even in that the guys just blindly bowls full bowls hoping for it to swing if it don't swing he keeps bowling full...never goes for that tight good length ball zooming towards off stump. dont know why people hype him soo much...Naseem 100 times better then him
Shaheen usually very good in his opening spell but today he didn't look at his best throughout the match. The pace was down and he didn't get a lot of swing that is a huge worry for team Pakistan going forward in this World Cup.

Biggest reason why Pakistan won yesterday was because of the way Pacers pulled back things in last 10 overs.

Last 10 overs were the main reason we were chasing 345 instead of 380. That recovery was too good from Pakistani bowlers.

Shaheen and Haris with the coaching staff practicing ahead of the must-win game against South Africa.

89L9kRF.jpg

Proud of his pacers but nothing else.

Not proud of
- batters
- fielders
- spinners
- all rounders
- himself

Terrible captain riding on the back of pacer’s efforts. M. Wasim rightfully scolded him. He deserved it.

Back