"I fear for my own and my family’s safety": Azeem Rafiq

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
In an interview with Saj for iSport, Azeem Rafiq expresses concerns for the safety of his family and says that he felt ‘triggered’ watching the recent appearances of county chairmen before a Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) committee

PRI_210536374-640x360.jpg

Azeem Rafiq is worried that the action taken by Yorkshire in the wake of his revelations of racism at the cricket club is not being replicated at other counties despite growing evidence that the malaise runs far deeper than he initially thought.

When his allegations were finally taken seriously last November, they led to a rapid series of events including the exit of Yorkshire’s leading sponsors, the resignations of the county’s chairman and chief executive, the sacking of the coaching staff and Rafiq’s own bombshell appearance in front of MPs of the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) committee.

Then stories of discrimination emerged across the country, and more county chiefs have been hauled in front of the MPs.

While hoping that a corner has been turned by his former employers at Headingley – most notably with the appointment of Lord Patel as chairman – Rafiq is worried that the lessons are not being learnt everywhere.

“Despite many years of institutional failures, I do see some positive things happening at Yorkshire despite some of the former administrators trying to block those changes,” he tells i.

“I do feel that in Lord Patel we have some hope for the future and I hope that the club can become the blueprint for other county sides.”

The ex-Yorkshire captain added: “I don’t think other counties are learning from Yorkshire, as we saw at the DCMS hearing into racism and the comments of some of the county chairmen.

“I actually felt very triggered after that because the language that was being used by those chairmen was the same type of language that was used by Yorkshire to tell everyone how great they were.

“There has to be a diagnosis of the problem to see how widespread it is. I feel that several counties are trying very hard to say this is a Yorkshire-only problem, when it’s clearly not.

“There are a lot of denials, there’s a lot of burying of heads in the sand, but the reality is that there is a long way to go in the English game before racism is eradicated.”

While Middlesex chairman Mike O’Farrell’s suggestion that football and rugby are “much more attractive to the Afro-Caribbean community” and cricket was sometimes “secondary” to education for young South Asian players received a lot of coverage, Rafiq feels the disclosure of attitudes of others at the hearing also deserve attention.

“I found the comments by Mike O’Farrell very upsetting. They were lazy stereotypes. But what is very worrying is that they were just some of the comments that were picked up, however there were many more comments by the Hampshire and Glamorgan chairmen [Rod Bransgrove and Gareth Williams] that were very concerning.

“They showed just how big the issues are in English cricket and how out of touch the leadership in English cricket is with the game.”

Nor are the problems restricted to the professional arena – the idyllic image of the amateur game is also tainted.

“It’s rife in club cricket. Only a few days ago I received a message from an Asian team about them not being able to gain promotion due to the fact that there were too many Asians in the team. That wasn’t the official reason given to this club, but that was the underlying issue.”

The England & Wales Cricket Board is tasked with safeguarding the game at all levels and Rafiq believes the governing body has allowed matters to deteriorate.

“We are where we are due to the ECB’s reluctance to step in, deal with the issue proactively and show strong leadership at the right time.

“I feel that the jury is out on the ECB. They have a lot to answer for, they let this ride out and damage the game of cricket in England on a wide scale. Going forward there has to be an independent regulator rather than the ECB, they can’t be both the regulator and the promoter of the game.”

Rafiq is displeased at some Asian cricketers for their lack of action but can understand their hesitancy to come forward, especially where it affects personal safety and their livelihood; something he has realised since bringing the issues into the public domain.

“I’ve been hurt, saddened, disappointed and let down by a lot of Asian cricketers who haven’t spoken up about the issues of racism in English cricket. But I can see why they didn’t, as there is a fear of the institution.

“Nobody is perfect. The way I was attacked and what my life has become on a daily basis where I fear for my own and my family’s safety, I can see why people would prefer to look the other way and not speak up. I was left alone by my own community and that was a very unfortunate part of this process that I have experienced.”

So much has been revealed, however, it is time for prompt action. “The journey has been tough. I wish I hadn’t had to go through it because it’s come at a massive personal cost. There have been some horrible moments and, unfortunately, they are going to continue. I was taking on a system and that system isn’t just English cricket or the ECB or Yorkshire County Cricket Club. The one thing that could make me proud is if we can get this next phase right.

“It’s always been about changing things for the better. It’s a delicate situation, it needs to be handled with care, love and compassion, but also with urgency as well.

“We’ve waited far too long for this. I don’t want to have to wait for my grandchildren to see change, I want to see change happening now and for future generations. A lot of people have missed out on a lot of opportunities just because of their race and it’s not acceptable, things need to change – and change now.”

https://inews.co.uk/sport/cricket/a...sm-they-havent-learned-from-yorkshire-1457274

Last edited:
Azeem has gone through a lot so hopefully his experience will result in some positive change in English Cricket.

Racism is too deeply ingrained in Cricket for it to be completely removed. As there are so many Asian players they are easy targets for white people. After being exposed the likes of David Lloyd rightfully quit their job or were sacked.

He took on a Board, a County club, a system, a number of racist individuals and he came through it.

Well done to him and let's hope change does happen and things improve in English cricket.

Tim Bresnan has opened up about allegations that he made racist comments to Azeem Rafiq during their time as Yorkshire teammates.

During his testimony in front of DCMS select committee, Rafiq detailed the racist abuse he suffered while at Yorkshire and Bresnan was among those accused.

Rafiq said the former England star had "frequently made racist comments" and stated he was part of a group of "six or seven" players to file a bullying complaint against Bresnan.

The 36-year-old later apologised for "contributing to Azeem Rafiq's experience of feeling bullied at Yorkshire" but categorically denied making racist comments.

Now, following his decision to retire from the sport last month, Bresnan has addressed the allegations in an interview for the first time.

Bresnan apologised for fat shaming but insisted he has never "been racist" and said the allegations left him "disappointed".

Speaking to the Daily Mail, Bresnan said: "There is a good chance that I've walked into a dressing room and said, 'all right ledge, you had a good Christmas,' with a glance at the extra timber when we've come back for New Year's training.

"Something of that nature. We've all done that. But I 100% deny that I've ever been racist. I will never admit to that. And so, I cannot apologise for it.

"To be accused of it disappointed me and being instructed not to say anything by solicitors and clubs who were basically trying to protect themselves, all felt wrong to me."

Bresnan also said he has been in regular contact with former Yorkshire physio Kunwar Basil, who was among the staff members axed back in December in the wake of the scandal.

"Kunwar and I have had some very frank conversations because this has affected us both in different ways," Bresnan said.

"One thing he said to me was that if he gets another position in cricket, people might be questioning whether it's because he's of Indian origin, regardless of whether he is the best person for the job. That's just wrong. Utter madness that he should think that, or people think that about him.

"For me, it was only a small part of my eventual decision but if there were to have been any sort of comments from the crowd, referring to me as a racist, that would've hurt. I'm not going to lie."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/cri...f-azeem-rafiq-report/ar-AATSyQf?ocid=msedgntp

Azeem Rafiq has revealed that Gary Ballance has not apologised to him for using a racial slur during their time as teammates at Yorkshire.

Ballance has admitted to calling Rafiq a "p***", releasing a lengthy statement in November where he said he 'deeply regrets some of the language I used in my younger years'.

However, he said the use of slur was 'between friends', insisted 'no malice was intended' by it and claimed it was simply 'a situation where best friends said offensive things to each other'.

Despite admitting to using the slur, Ballance will remain at Yorkshire, despite the new regime making a raft of changes in the wake of the scandal which included the axing of their entire coaching staff.

Darren Gough, Yorkshire's interim managing director of cricket, has confirmed that Ballance will be staying and become part of "an inclusive and welcoming environment" at the club.

Speaking to the Daily Mail, Gough said: "It was a difficult situation with Gary. He was disciplined by the club, he admitted the use of racist language and apologised for it.

"It’s crucial all forms of discrimination are eradicated from our game and society and we talked to Gary about his actions and behaviour. He understands and he’s educating himself.

"He’s going to be part now of an inclusive and welcoming environment that we’re building at Yorkshire and that’s obvious already in our recruitment on the coaching side."

Speaking in November, Rafiq said that Ballance should be allowed to continue playing for Yorkshire if he "apologises properly and has some sort of acceptance and accountability".

Now, responding to Gough's comments on Twitter, Rafiq revealed he is yet to receive a "proper apology" from Ballance.

"100% the right way is 'anyone who apologises deserves a second chance'," Rafiq wrote. "Let’s be very clear to this day I haven’t had any proper apology from most people including Gary".

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/cricket/yorkshire-azeem-rafiq-gary-ballance-26357757

Yorkshire have joined Azeem Rafiq in calling for the hearings into allegations of misconduct at the club to be conducted in public.

The club are among those charged by the ECB's Cricket Discipline Commission (CDC) in connection with allegations related to Azeem's experiences of racism, which first came to light in 2020. Yorkshire are expected to plead guilty to the charges, with preliminary hearings set for October 17 and 18.

Whether those hearings take place remains to be seen, though. While Azeem and Yorkshire believe it is necessary for the hearings to be public to achieve closure, there has been significant resistance from other defendants, including those who have suggested they are likely to plead guilty.

The CDC have been reluctant to hold the hearings in public on the basis that witnesses gave their evidence on the understanding the cases would be conducted in private. The Cricketer understands the ECB have recently canvassed the witnesses, however, and all but one agreed for the hearings to be public.

Azeem has now suggested he would be reluctant to appear as a witness in private.

Contrary to reports elsewhere, Azeem has not been given an ultimatum from the CDC over his involvement in the case. As he is a key witness, however, it is unclear which complaints could be upheld without him.

His relationship with the ECB has deteriorated, in part due to the long delays in the case reaching a hearing. He has given much of his evidence previously: in an employment tribunal, which took witness statements from many of those involved; the Squire Patton Boggs report; and an appearance in front of the DCMS committee – while others who are now saying they want a public enquiry previously declined to participate.

The ECB have confirmed that Tim O'Gorman, chair of the CDC, will preside at the hearing despite the revelation that he is legal counsel for Halfords, who use the same PR firm (Powerscourt) as Azeem.

Meanwhile Azeem, Lord Patel and Cindy Butts, who is chair of the Commission for Equity in Cricket, are all expected to give evidence to the DCMS committee on December 13. It was Azeem's evidence to the committee last year which catapulted his story into the spot light. On this occasion, they are likely to be asked, among other things, about the backlash they have experienced to their attempts call out racism and make changes to the culture of the sport. Butts' long-awaited report is due to be published before the DCMS hearing.

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics...ssion_misconduct_hearings_held_in_public.html

<b>Azeem Rafiq: 'Never-ending campaign of lies' has put my family at risk, says spinner</b>

Former Yorkshire spinner Azeem Rafiq says "a never-ending, co-ordinated campaign of lies" has "caused serious risk" to his family's safety after new allegations were made against him.

Rafiq, 31, has been accused of anti-Semitism, homophobia and fat shaming children by former team-mates and officials, reports the Daily Mail.

In a statement, he said the claims were "categorically untrue".

On Thursday, Rafiq said he plans to move abroad to protect his family.

Last year, he was found to have been the victim of racial harassment and bullying at Yorkshire. He told MPs that English cricket was "institutionally" racist, sparking the scandal that has dogged English cricket for much of the past two years.

His testimony led to changes in Yorkshire's leadership, Headingley being temporarily stripped of hosting international matches, and reprimands for several current and former players and coaches.

It also led to the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) putting together a 12-point plan to tackle racism in the game.

Responding to the latest allegations against him, he said: "I knew as a whistleblower I would come under attack.

"What I did not expect was a never-ending, co-ordinated campaign of lies, which has caused serious risk to me and my family's safety.

"I have been vindicated over and over again, and will not be intimidated by those who seek to silence me."

Earlier this week, Rafiq was among five current and former players reprimanded by the England and Wales Cricket Board for historical social media posts of a racist nature.

He has previously apologised for a Facebook exchange from 2011 containing anti-Semitic messages.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/63256733

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

It's been an ugly business, but this needed to be aired.

He was taking on more than a cricket club.

This was always going to turn ugly.

Why is this hypocrite still getting air-time? He lost all credibility when his own harrowing past came back to haunt.

He has an adopted a holier than thou attitude but he has been exposed as a bigger racist than the ones he is fighting a crusade against.

He might have been a racist himself. But seriously the amount of hate he is getting from the British community is awful. Everyone threatening him and spewing hate on him is basically defending his own racist nature and somehow trying to liberate himself and justifying their own racist nature. The insecurity of these people is appalling to say the least.

Why is this hypocrite still getting air-time? He lost all credibility when his own harrowing past came back to haunt.

He has an adopted a holier than thou attitude but he has been exposed as a bigger racist than the ones he is fighting a crusade against.

Obviously the issue was larger than him as an individual.

I can’t speak for the truth / lack of truth in the allegations, but this has the feel of a coordinated revenge act, and seems to show the establishment closing ranks on Rafiq to demonstrate their distinct unhappiness with his efforts.

I can’t speak for the truth / lack of truth in the allegations, but this has the feel of a coordinated revenge act, and seems to show the establishment closing ranks on Rafiq to demonstrate their distinct unhappiness with his efforts.

Or it could be genuine considering his not so rosy past. I think he never expected this to snowball into something this big.

Obviously the issue was larger than him as an individual.

And he is the wrong person to wage this crusade. From abusing the U19 coach on Twitter to making discriminatory remarks himself, he has zero credibility and deserves all the criticism and hate that he is getting.

The only takeaway from this whole episode is that he is a massive hypocrite and life comes at you fast. The tables have turned on him and you love to see it.

And he is the wrong person to wage this crusade. From abusing the U19 coach on Twitter to making discriminatory remarks himself, he has zero credibility and deserves all the criticism and hate that he is getting.

The only takeaway from this whole episode is that he is a massive hypocrite and life comes at you fast. The tables have turned on him and you love to see it.

What ever your issue with him I don’t think our public should be defecating in his garden and intimidating his family home with masks on, his father is unwell to.

He might have been a racist himself. But seriously the amount of hate he is getting from the British community is awful. Everyone threatening him and spewing hate on him is basically defending his own racist nature and somehow trying to liberate himself and justifying their own racist nature. The insecurity of these people is appalling to say the least.

Absolutely, they came here to seek refuge and are now leaving this place to escape the abuse.

We have failed this man, ashamed really.
[MENTION=7774]Robert[/MENTION] [MENTION=1842]James[/MENTION]

Absolutely, they came here to seek refuge and are now leaving this place to escape the abuse.

No one failed this hypocrite except his own past. If you are going to fight for a cause and throw allegations left, right and centre, make sure that you don’t have skeletons in your own closet.

You might forget your past but the world will not. This hypocrite went too far and made too much noise. The recoil was going to be strong.

He was clearly racist himself and a bit of a hypocrite because he seemed to like alcohol a bit too if I'm not mistaken.

But this exposes the myth of multiculturalism that British Asians like to talk about. I'm obviously not talking about the likes of [MENTION=7774]Robert[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1842]James[/MENTION] who are extremely decent human beings with a conscience but there seem to be plenty of folks in the white British establishment who see y'all as nothing more than second class citizens who they just about tolerate.

A sad state of affairs.

Well YCC has admitted to being racist and accepted most of the allegations to be true themselves. The thing about him not being credible is not the issue here. It's just a case of a whistleblower being someone who was involved in the act himself. The bigger issue is there is racism and people are acting out or showing their true colors. Reminds me of something Khalid Hosseini said that he still gets hate and abuse about The Kite Runner and the people abuse him not for denying their actions but for telling the whole world about it.

Just goes to show how deep rooted, systemic and institutionalised the racism is

Good on him to make a stand and speak up despite the flak hes been getting

In the West you torpedo yourself if you make anti-semitic comments.

That is catching up with Azeem Rafiq.

Well YCC has admitted to being racist and accepted most of the allegations to be true themselves. The thing about him not being credible is not the issue here. It's just a case of a whistleblower being someone who was involved in the act himself. The bigger issue is there is racism and people are acting out or showing their true colors. Reminds me of something Khalid Hosseini said that he still gets hate and abuse about The Kite Runner and the people abuse him not for denying their actions but for telling the whole world about it.

It is hard to look at the bigger picture sometimes. Whistleblowers who don’t have skeletons in their own closet have greater credibility because it has a bigger impact to see them stand up for something.

Sometimes it is important to shoot the messenger and Rafiq deserves all that is coming his way. He may have conveniently forgotten his past but others have not.

He made too much noise for someone with his past and the recoil was going to be strong.

It is hard to look at the bigger picture sometimes. Whistleblowers who don’t have skeletons in their own closet have greater credibility because it has a bigger impact to see them stand up for something.

Sometimes it is important to shoot the messenger and Rafiq deserves all that is coming his way. He may have conveniently forgotten his past but others have not.

He made too much noise for someone with his past and the recoil was going to be strong.

No it's not hard to look at the bigger picture. He might have been part of the problem but not all of it. He may not have been the poster boy for the cause but it is always better to raise up the issue. No one has a clean slate in terms of past and the abuse he's getting is well past the magnitude. Plus it's not about sympathising with him but to see how people have reacted to being outed as a racist. The people don't care about being racist but are mad at why it was spoken up publicly at a big stage.

No it's not hard to look at the bigger picture. He might have been part of the problem but not all of it. He may not have been the poster boy for the cause but it is always better to raise up the issue. No one has a clean slate in terms of past and the abuse he's getting is well past the magnitude. Plus it's not about sympathising with him but to see how people have reacted to being outed as a racist. The people don't care about being racist but are mad at why it was spoken up publicly at a big stage.

Quite a few people have a clean slate with regards to racism. Let them lead the crusade against it, not a hypocrite like Rafiq.

Quite a few people have a clean slate with regards to racism. Let them lead the crusade against it, not a hypocrite like Rafiq.

Which people? The question is why arent they then? Because it isnt easy and straighforward and youve got a lot to lose

Whatever skeletons rafiqs got in his closet doesnt take away from the fact that english cricket and in particularly yorkshire have got a race problem that needs dealing with

There seem to be plenty of folks in the white British establishment who see y'all as nothing more than second class citizens who they just about tolerate.

A sad state of affairs.

Agreed on these points…

Why is that it’s always people with skeletons in their own past who take up the mantle of fighting establishment?

A hate crime investigation has been started by police after a man defecated in the garden of former Yorkshire cricketer Azeem Rafiq.

Earlier this month, the ex-bowler told MPs he had become a target of abuse since speaking out about racism.

During the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport committee hearing, the 31-year-old described being abused and spoke of a man "defecating" in his garden.

Police said they believed the incident was racially motivated.

The South Yorkshire force said it was reported a man had defecated in the front garden of an address on Gawber Road in Barnsley just before 18:20 GMT on 5 October.

They have issued a CCTV image of a man they want to speak to in connection with their investigation and urged anyone who recognised him to contact police

Bbc

Last edited by a moderator:
I will always respect this guy for having the guts to speak up when he could like many others have stayed quiet.

Totally agree Saj

Others have suffered but kept quite over the years at least he had the backbone to speak up

Totally agree Saj

Others have suffered but kept quite over the years at least he had the backbone to speak up

I did some work with ISport regarding this issue.

The number of players who had stories to tell and incidents to speak about but wouldn't was staggering.

A hate crime investigation has been started by police after a man defecated in the garden of former Yorkshire cricketer Azeem Rafiq.

Earlier this month, the ex-bowler told MPs he had become a target of abuse since speaking out about racism.

During the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport committee hearing, the 31-year-old described being abused and spoke of a man "defecating" in his garden.

The South Yorkshire force said it was reported a man had defecated in the front garden of an address on Gawber Road in Barnsley just before 18:20 GMT on 5 October.

They have issued a CCTV image of a man they want to speak to in connection with their investigation and urged anyone who recognised him to contact police

Bbc

Something about this really stinks.

Bbc

Good grief.

Azeem Rafiq: Former cricketer's family avoid leaving home alone in Rotherham amid riots

Former Yorkshire cricketer Azeem Rafiq has told Sky News his family members in the Rotherham area have felt unable to go out and live normally amid the "frightening" violence.

He said: "We're not so far away either, it's really worrying times for all of us concerned."

Rafiq added: "On the family groups, everyone's checking in on each other, staying in communication and keeping each other safe.

"It's petrifying going to sleep at night in your home and not feeling safe - it's not something you should be thinking about but that's the situation for most people right now."

In Rotherham on Sunday, masked anti-immigration rioters broke into a hotel housing asylum seekers and threw chairs and long pieces of wood at police.

At least 10 officers were injured, including one who was left unconscious, in violent scenes as the prime minister vowed rioters would "regret" engaging in "far-right thuggery".

Rafiq said his loved ones have avoided going out alone and are monitoring where the riots are "to keep out of harm's way".

He said: "Everyone's encouraging each other to, if there is some necessity to go out for, then you are not on your own but if you can avoid it then do that.

"That's the same for my family. We're speaking, trying to monitor where these riots are, to try keep ourselves out of harm's way."

This guy always wants to speak about something and get attention. He is doing no favors to the British Pakistani community.

Back