"I thought the way we played took the wind out of their (Pakistan's) sails" : Craig McMillan

Abdullah719

T20I Captain
Runs
"I thought the way we played took the wind out of their (Pakistan's) sails" : Craig McMillan

He's a pretty astute judge, Kane Williamson, and he's never one to show much emotion.

But there was one delivery which caught him most off-guard on a rain-truncated opening day of the second and final test against Pakistan in Hamilton on Friday - the one sent down by third umpire Ian Gould.

The Black Caps captain, along with the smattering on the Seddon Park bank who braved the gloom and saw the hosts reach 77-2, was dismissed for an unlucky 13, adjudged caught behind on DRS review, with Gould controversially overturning the on-field decision of Simon Fry.

Sohail Khan seamed one in, with Williamson surviving the initial appeal, before Pakistan asked for the review. Replays showed the ball struck the skipper on the underside of his right elbow. If there was bat involved it didn't show up on Hot Spot, while the Snicko spikes seemingly appeared only after the ball had passed the willow, and when grazing the arm.

It all added up to a decision which surely didn't have enough evidence to be overturned.

Batting coach Craig McMillan acknowledged Williamson was "maybe a touch" unlucky, and that the captain was in fact going to go upstairs himself, had he been given out on-field.

"He didn't think that he'd hit it," McMillan said. "So he was going to review it. But it was one of those tough ones that we accept. You realise sometimes it's a little bit difficult to see exactly what it's hit, but it's just one of those ones we accept and we move on."

The perishing of New Zealand's key wicket came with the score at 39-1, but the hosts did manage to wrest the initiative back, despite being sent in in tough conditions, with just 21 overs possible, and the final two sessions washed out.

The toss was delayed by 15 minutes but the match still started on time, with Mohammad Amir sending down some absolute peaches in the first over. He had Jeet Raval dropped third ball at slip by Sami Aslam, before he made amends by pocketing Tom Latham just three balls later.

But Raval (35no) continued on from a fine debut in Christchurch, producing some more of those gorgeous drives down the ground, as well as showing his ability on the pull, and found a fine ally in Ross Taylor, who blazed several trademark square cuts on his way to 29 off just 20 deliveries, putting his eye troubles to one side and impressing McMillan with his movement at the crease.

"Sometimes he doesn't like leaving the ball, but I thought his decision making was excellent, and to be fair he got some freebies, he got some short and wide balls, and on a surface like that, I think you have to make sure that when they do offer you something to score off, you make the most of it," he said.

McMillan said he was "very happy" with how the team were placed, all things considered, bit that it would be another big challenge on day two.

"It was favourable conditions for the bowlers, so I thought the way we played took the wind out of their sails to be fair," he said.

"The pitch is going to be sweating under the covers - there has been rain. We know we're just going to have to be as precise tomorrow morning as we were today. That's the challenge for us. We also know they've got four quality fast bowlers who can ask a lot of questions, so it's going to be an interesting battle."

That Pakistan took four quicks into the contest was a surprise itself, bringing in Wahab Riaz and Imran Khan for Rahat Ali and classy leg-spinner Yasir Shah - whose omission had McMillan rather buoyed.

"World-class bowler," he said of Shah. "Good for us, I think, because if this game goes along to five days, you'd think that days four and five, a spinner might be needed and will come into calculations."

The remaining days will start half an earlier at 10.30am, with showers forecast for the remainder of the contest.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricke...t-between-black-caps-and-pakistan-in-hamilton

I think all this mention of Yasir Shah is like a reverse tactic, they're so persistent that Yasir Shah's absence would be a factor in any sort of result, maybe they are overrating him a bit too much.. or they know that and are persistently pointing this out so that it looks like a bad decision and we start doubting our bowling attack..

The kiwis batsmen did put away and bad balls and did indeed show more intent. Our batsmen need to play in a similar manner but at same time not be so reckless.

Back