ICC World Cup 2023: South Africa (247/5) beat Afghanistan (244) by 5 wickets

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
1699549945286.png

Hashmatullah Shahidi's side looked on track to clinch a critical fifth win in their last encounter until coming across a rampaging Glenn Maxwell who took the game away in Australia's favour.

Victory in that clash, which would have been Afghanistan's fourth on the trot, would have pushed the emerging side into the top four and two points ahead of fellow semi-final contenders New Zealand and Pakistan.

But as it stands, Afghanistan enter this contest sitting in sixth place and crucially well behind those two other teams on net run rate, in the race for the last place in the knockout stages.

South Africa present a daunting challenge for an Afghanistan side needing a win, after the Proteas surged into the semi-finals with big hitting and huge totals that fired a warning shot across the rest of the tournament.

Temba Bavuma's side have little to play for with a semi-final showdown with Australia already assured, but South Africa will want to rediscover their top form before the stakes rise higher especially after a 243-run defeat to India in their last start.

When: November 09, 2023, 2:00 PM IST

Where: Narendra Modi Stadium, Ahmedabad

Teams

Afghanistan:

Fazalhaq Farooqi may make a comeback, potentially replacing Noor Ahmad. Additionally, there's a possibility that Mujeeb Ur Rahman might require compassionate leave following the incident of dropping Glenn Maxwell on 33 in Mumbai on Tuesday.

In terms of tactics and strategy, Afghanistan adopts a patient approach with the bat and relies on strong spin performances. Despite not being flashy at the crease, they have displayed solidity, posting scores of 272/8 and 284 against India and England in Delhi, and 291/5 against Australia at the Wankhede, following their initial dismissal for 156 by Bangladesh. While much attention is given to their spinners, it's noteworthy that the seamers have contributed significantly, accounting for 21 out of the 48 wickets taken by the bowling unit.

South Africa:

Andile Phehlukwayo is the lone member of the squad who hasn't had a chance to step onto the field in this World Cup—a fact that may seem arbitrary, but it recalls the attention, both political and otherwise, that South Africa garnered when Aaron Phangiso remained benched throughout the 2015 edition.

In terms of tactics and strategy, South Africa's clear preference is to bat first and put up a substantial total. While it doesn't mean they can't chase or that their formidable bowling attack can't be effective when defending a total, the team tends to perform better when their batters have already piled on a significant number of runs on the scoreboard.

Squads:

Afghanistan Squad: Rahmanullah Gurbaz, Ibrahim Zadran, Rahmat Shah, Hashmatullah Shahidi(c), Azmatullah Omarzai, Mohammad Nabi, Rashid Khan, Ikram Alikhil(w), Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Noor Ahmad, Naveen-ul-Haq, Fazalhaq Farooqi, Riaz Hassan, Abdul Rahman, Najibullah Zadran

South Africa Squad: Quinton de Kock(w), Temba Bavuma(c), Rassie van der Dussen, Aiden Markram, Heinrich Klaasen, David Miller, Marco Jansen, Keshav Maharaj, Kagiso Rabada, Lungi Ngidi, Tabraiz Shamsi, Gerald Coetzee, Andile Phehlukwayo, Reeza Hendricks, Lizaad Williams

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Can Afghanistan still qualify for semi's? What's the equation?
Bat first get 800 and bowled them under 150?
Or chase 42 runs in 6 balls? Gurbaz hit 7 sixes in an over.

If Afghanistan bat first and score 300, they win the match. Simple. So what if Afghanistan will not qualify ? There are five more teams that are not qualifying, and most of them will be finishing behind Afghanistan in the points table.

Afg lost out in the SF race when Maxwell did what he did. However they will be motivated to bring down SA as well to add to their scalp list of Eng/SL/Pakistan in one Worls cup.

Afghanistan need to win by 438 runs or more to overtake NZ. If they bat second, they are out automatically.

So, this game is like a dead rubber.

Both of South Africa's defeats at the 50-overs World Cup came while chasing but batter David Miller does not think this is a major concern for them heading into the business end of the showpiece tournament.

They have looked more comfortable setting targets but Miller said they are also usually at ease chasing a total.

"I think we have chased a lot of games in the past, and I don't think it's something that is a huge issue at all," the batter said ahead of Friday's match against Afghanistan.

"The guys certainly have the skill and believe that we can chase anything. I think it's just comparing to what we have done batting first, which has been exceptional.

"We haven't been horrific chasing, it's just been one or two games where we slipped up, which is part of the game.

"We have spoken about and dissected that. It's just about making sure that we've got that platform and giving ourselves the best chance to chase down a total."

Miller was wary of Afghanistan, who have beaten three former champions in the tournament and still have mathematical chances of making the semi-finals.

"They're a team that's certainly growing in confidence. They've showed that they can compete. I mean this World Cup they've done really, really well, beaten some big teams," Miller said.

"They're a really strong team, and they have a chance to make the semi-finals. So, it's good to see.

"That's the joy of World Cup. You see different teams doing well...It's great to see and good for cricket."

Reuters

We are entering into dead rubber games of the league stage.

Not expecting an Afghan win but would be nice if they put up a decent fight like they did against the Aussies the other night. Saying this, their catching needs to improve multifold for good competition, though.

Going by the last game between Eng and Australia, the Ahmedabad pitch doesn't seem to offer anything special for the bowlers.

SA may try to test their chasing prowess if they win the toss.

Afghanistan need to win by 438 runs or more to overtake NZ. If they bat second, they are out automatically.

So, this game is like a dead rubber.
Crazy things have happened in this tournament…

But this one might be a bit too crazy :afridi

We are entering into dead rubber games of the league stage.

Not expecting an Afghan win but would be nice if they put up a decent fight like they did against the Aussies the other night. Saying this, their catching needs to improve multifold for good competition, though.

Going by the last game between Eng and Australia, the Ahmedabad pitch doesn't seem to offer anything special for the bowlers.

SA may try to test their chasing prowess if they win the toss.
SA have lost both of their matches while chasing so i dont think against quality spin attack they will go for chase.

They must stick with their srength and try to post good runs on the board to get their confidence back as a team before going into the semis.

SA have lost both of their matches while chasing so i dont think against quality spin attack they will go for chase.

They must stick with their srength and try to post good runs on the board to get their confidence back as a team before going into the semis.
That's why I thought they would want to test(sort?) out their chasing abilities (which seems their lesser preferred modus operandi, these days) before the all-important semis in what is likely to be a tricky Eden Gardens pitch (against a side that must be having severe mental scars from the last game).

SA please have some mercy on AFG spinners, they are already broken into pieces

Afghanistan won the toss and chose to bat first.

TEAMS:
Afghanistan XI:
Rahmanullah Gurbaz, Ibrahim Zadran, Rahmat Shah, Hashmatullah Shahidi (c), Azmatullah Omarzai, Ikram Alikhil (wk), Mohammad Nabi, Rashid Khan, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Noor Ahmad, Naveen-ul-Haq

South Africa XI: Quinton de Kock (wk), Temba Bavuma (c), Rassie van der Dussen, Aiden Markram, Heinrich Klaasen, David Miller, Andile Phehlukwayo, Gerald Coetzee, Keshav Maharaj, Kagiso Rabada, Lungi Ngidi

Would have loved AFG in semis....

Would have been the right kind of fantasy story that lifts a team and make them believe in themselves.

Not like they played any worse than NZ or Pak, Infact, they played out of their skins.

Would like to see Afghan brothers win this.

They have a shot with how SA chase.

Not an underdog story fan?
I usually love the underdog story. I was a massive fan in 2015 ever since they best Scotland in that WC. But unfortunately, it seems their players absolutely despise Pakistan and some of the comments I’ve seen from Afghanistani cricket fans about Pakistanis and in particular about Pakistani Pashtuns makes me hope for them to lose now.

sa
I usually love the underdog story. I was a massive fan in 2015 ever since they best Scotland in that WC. But unfortunately, it seems their players absolutely despise Pakistan and some of the comments I’ve seen from Afghanistani cricket fans about Pakistanis and in particular about Pakistani Pashtuns makes me hope for them to lose now.
same. they are losers. weak physically as well. i want to make that clear too.

Lungi Ngidi is just a massive liability considering how injury prone/ unfit he is.
SA should just consider playing Andile at 8 in the KO's.

Gurbaz is gone. Maharaj has his 1st wicket. Afghanistan is 1 down for 41

Slowest innings ever. Almost an hour passed and we aren’t even out of the power play.

Maharaj is creating havoc for the afghans. 4 overs 12 runs and took 2 wickets. they cannot play him atm

1) timid batting
2) physically weak afghans
3) no fast bowler
4) no power.
5) chokers
i am done here. have fun guys.

1) timid batting
2) physically weak afghans
3) no fast bowler
4) no power.
5) chokers
i am done here. have fun guys.
They provs got demorilised after the aus loss. Their now out

After 23 overs, Afghanistan is 93/3. This is very slow going by the Afghans. Have to score a big win if they want to win this. SA has the most explosive batting line-up of this tournament.

Rahmat's painful innings comes to an end. Afghanistan is 4 down for 107 runs after 26 overs

Gerald Coetzee gets one. Afghanistan is in deep trouble now. 5 down now for 115 after 27.2 overs.

Oh boy. 6th one is down. Nabi departs for just 2 runs. Afghanistan is 6 down for 116.

Afghan lost all the passion and fight after that Aussie loss

Why hasn't Rahmanullah 'gilly' gurbaz lived up to expectations in this tournament?

150 Up for Afghanistan

Azmatullah Omarzai and Rashid Khan keep Afghanistan alive.

AFG 150/4 in 35 Overs (Azmat 47, Rashid 10)

Had Afghan won that game, SA might have even conceded this one strategically so that they could face them again in the semi final.

AFG 204/8 in 46 Overs (Azmat 70, Mujeeb 0)

Noor Ahmad 26(32) c. Q de Kock b. G Coetzee

Good recovery. 250-260 would be interesting. SA need to get their fill of chokes out here before the KO stage too.

No century for Azmat! He is stranded on 97 with the final wicket falling.

AFG all out 244.

Had Afghan won that game, SA might have even conceded this one strategically so that they could face them again in the semi final.
That’s something I wrote when Aussies were like 91/7 ….

I’m sure SAF would have done that & rightly so - they had absolutely nothing to be afraid of AFG at Wankhede SF.

What Maxwell has done is he has taken out fear of chasing against AFGs. This WC, AFGs had a high & a low - PAK win gave them enormous confidence about chasing & they showed that against SRL. Australian loss will take confidence out of their defence.

I’m expecting a blasting chase by SAF - they have nothing to gain or loss for this WC from this game…. That’s their tonic. Had there been any significance of the result …. you never know.

What Maxwell has done is he has taken out fear of chasing against AFGs. This WC, AFGs had a high & a low - PAK win gave them enormous confidence about chasing & they showed that against SRL. Australian loss will take confidence out of their defence.

I’m expecting a blasting chase by SAF - they have nothing to gain or loss for this WC from this game…. That’s their tonic. Had there been any significance of the result …. you never know.
Blast their way sure but only to get blasted in the ko.

Afghanistan truly deserved a shot at the semis, the way they had all top teams in scrambles. Pity that NZ is qualifying ahead of them.

Back