"If you said Australia would play 110 overs, and us 100, I'd take that": Shan Masood

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Pakistan captain's comments at the post game interview after the 360-run loss to Australia in the 1st Test:

"When you come to these shores you look for progress...if you said Australia would play 110 overs, and us 100, I'd take that. We could have batted a bit quicker, missed on 60-70 runs. Bowling-wise thought we did a lot of good things. Not as disciplined as we wanted to be, that's the lesson from the Australian attack. A lot of positive things to take forward. It's never easy when you play two debutants but thought they were very mature. They bowled really well, on another day could gave got more wickets."

=

Was this the aim? To compete well?

Shan needs to fix his attitude very quick.

I think this is the worst comment I've heard a captain make. Australia could have played another 100 overs lol. They chose to declare.

What is he trying to say here?

Maybe we asked for too much by wanting an English speaking captain?

I'd much prefer buoyz play well over this nonsense.

If I were an Aussie batter, I would like to score 500 in 80 overs against Pakistan next game. Then watch Pakistan reach 200 in 80 overs

Seems masood is worst captain than kl. Don't see any future for pak in test cricket with this kind of pathetic thinking.

Some things in life cost no money to do…

-walk in the park

-read a book in the library

-talk nonsense/backwas with no real value

Shan is exerting his right to do what costs nothing

Bizzare thing to say but he is talking about first innings overs played.

What a stupid comment. No point of speaking English well, if the mindset is still dehati.

Think kuch ziyada bol gaya type thing.

Even the interviewer seemed non-plussed by that reply.

Think kuch ziyada bol gaya type thing.

Even the interviewer seemed non-plussed by that reply.

No.

This was their strategy. Occupy crease.

That's why they played 101 overs and scored only 270.

There was no intention to score and play positive cricket.

Basically. Draw karna tha.

What a stupid comment. No point of speaking English well, if the mindset is still dehati.
It’s called..”I have to rehearse something smart and witty to say to look different at the post match interview so I don’t sound like the losers of the past”

Well, he can't come out and say "We are a talentless team and there's no hope of us winning a single Test ; Just looking to gain some experience in these conditions ". That would be the absolute truth and, consequently , less palatable for PAK fans.

Excellent comments from the captain of Derbyshire……..ooops I mean Pakistan..

It's not a good way to think. Minnows think that way.

It would have been one thing if Pakistan had competed but it was a big thrashing.

He could have said the truth that the board and our batsmen haven't had a chance to create and practice on bouncy pitches due to lack of infrastructure or due to lack of ego that they're all gifted.

And therefore this tour is for me to speak English and for Hafeez to enjoy a paid vacation, with family.

With such a run rate, he'd need his team to bat for 170 overs before coming up with such statements. In what world is conceding a 220 runs first innings lead an achievement?

What a joke of a player and captain. The fact that he is a captain is a perfect illustration of why Pakistan are minnows.

This statement makes it look like Pakistan was matching Australia stride for stride in the first innings.

Only to be 200 runs apart at the end of it.

This statement makes it look like Pakistan was matching Australia stride for stride in the first innings.

Only to be 200 runs apart at the end of it.

In the gritty ‘never say die’ world of Shan Masood, Pakistan only lost on some technicality

Loser mentality. His first line is a giveaway. Coming to these shores for progress. Not to win. They never came with the thought to win. Minnow level thinking. As I said before aus will decimate pak with a 3-0 scoreline and this statement confirms it. Pak will be happy with just a draw..

No.

This was their strategy. Occupy crease.

That's why they played 101 overs and scored only 270.

There was no intention to score and play positive cricket.

Basically. Draw karna tha.
Exactly , they dont have it in them to compete against Aus as simple as that...

Aus was able to win the series in Pak itself , rmb these minnows collapsed from 240-3 to 260 allout in their homeground..

Shouldnt expect anything great from this side... Pakistan are full of uncles in their team to walk in the park which is wat they are doing instead of competing...

Shan cronies the captain has such cowardly approach then what will you expect from team we need an aggressive captain like Babar

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing for sure Pak has been very consistent with their performance in Aus for the last 2 decades :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Egg on your face, Shan cronies the captain has such cowardly approach then what will you expect from team we need an aggressive captain like Babar
he dropped a sitter in the 2nd inns and misfield in the earlier mins of the very first inns

Ok this is his first Test as captain - we need to give him a full series to make some judgement

He is not going to make this team world beaters overnight.

Ok this is his first Test as captain - we need to give him a full series to make some judgement

This is true.

Also, his first assignment is a very tough assignment. Touring Australia is never easy.

He should be given 2-3 series for a thorough assessment.

We let Australia score too many runs in the first innings. Shaheen and Faheem need to be dropped

This is true.

Also, his first assignment is a very tough assignment. Touring Australia is never easy.

He should be given 2-3 series for a thorough assessment.
His captaincy and his statements are not the problem. The following is the problem:

Age 34
Tests 31
Average 28

He was not, is not and will never be good enough for Test cricket.

To be a Test captain, you first have to be good enough to be a Test cricketer and justify your place in the team with your own performance.

He is not capable of doing that. If you can’t do it by the age of 34 after 58 innings, you never will.

I don’t know why it is so difficult for PCB and for a section of the fans to accept that he is simply not good enough to play Test cricket.

His captaincy and his statements are not the problem. The following is the problem:

Age 34
Tests 31
Average 28

He was not, is not and will never be good enough for Test cricket.

To be a Test captain, you first have to be good enough to be a Test cricketer and justify your place in the team with your own performance.

He is not capable of doing that. If you can’t do it by the age of 34 after 58 innings, you never will.

I don’t know why it is so difficult for PCB and for a section of the fans to accept that he is simply not good enough to play Test cricket.

Problem with your sort of fans is that you have no solution to Pakistan's problem but are in it to criticise.

Very disappointing.

Would be great if you could offer a solution to who should be Pakistan Test captain and we can take it from there.

Problem with your sort of fans is that you have no solution to Pakistan's problem but are in it to criticise.

Very disappointing.

Would be great if you could offer a solution to who should be Pakistan Test captain and we can take it from there.
My question is. How did PCB arrive to the conclusion to the worst performing batsman in their history was the solution?

Very disappointing.

The solution is to make Sarfraz captain and replace Masood with Huraira.

Why is a 28 average 34 year old coming in at no.3?

The solution is to make Sarfraz captain and replace Masood with Huraira.

Why is a 28 average 34 year old coming in at no.3?
Sarfaraz is way past his prime. Cant believe folks advocating for him. Pak should move on. It's like some fans in Ind want MSD back as captain bcos he won in 07 & 11. Thats ridiculous. Time moves on. Teams adapt as well.

Very disappointing.

A player has to merit a place in the team. All this Mike Brearley thing is nonsense. Nobody selects a captain this way even in the league cricket we play. Take a punt. Make a youngster as captain who is a near certainty in the team or someone who has potential. Take a punt on Abdullah Shafiq or even Saud Shakeel. Doesnt hurt. But all this "experience" bull and making over the hill players into captains will never get you the results.

He’s not wrong in his comments. The second innings is how I expected the first to go as well. At least he’s realistic. Absolute garbage selections by a selector that has no history of scouting players and a HC/Director who has no history of coaching at any level.

Not sure what else was expected in Australia of all places. If anything I’m surprised we took them to the end of the 4th day of this test.

He’s not wrong in his comments. The second innings is how I expected the first to go as well. At least he’s realistic. Absolute garbage selections by a selector that has no history of scouting players and a HC/Director who has no history of coaching at any level.

Not sure what else was expected in Australia of all places. If anything I’m surprised we took them to the end of the 4th day of this test.
If he is realistic, he should have said it "before" the game and not "after" the game and I would be OK with it . Fans will not waste their hard earned money and go watch these bunch of losers play if they know the team isnt even looking to win and that includes both Pak and Aus fans

If you are Saya Corps…you are keeping this team at minnow level instead of it becoming associate level

Classic

If he is realistic, he should have said it "before" the game and not "after" the game and I would be OK with it . Fans will not waste their hard earned money and go watch these bunch of losers play if they know the team isnt even looking to win and that includes both Pak and Aus fans
Fans aren’t blind. They can decide for themselves if they should go or not. The captain isn’t the guy to make the decision for them.

Fans aren’t blind. They can decide for themselves if they should go or not. The captain isn’t the guy to make the decision for them.
Yeah but as team supporters , would rather appreciate if the captain is being honest "before" . If rohit sharma says before a game - we are not looking to win - no way would I watch that game. We may lose even if we play our best game and intent is acceptable. Not even looking to win is not IMO.

Shaheen is ur premium bowler, whos gonna replace him if u want to drop ur best bowler?

Right now he is playing on reputation and even during the WC he was bowling at 129-132 km/hr. He did nothing with his height either in Perth of all places. Players need to be told to perform or go home. Replace him with someone on the bench ie Hassan Ali, Wasim Jr etc

In the gritty ‘never say die’ world of Shan Masood, Pakistan only lost on some technicality
Never say die but keep playing the same way until retirement is his policy... Playing intl cricket for nearly 50+ inns and still struggling to cement his place , and now made captain for his English ( well that is also in trouble it seems ) with his statement after loss.

He did midfield and dropped catch , also couldn’t score a 50 when the opposition has scored 700 runs , Pak couldn’t come close of half the runs that Aus made and he talks like this.

Very disappointing.

He is asking a genuine question , how is he made captain without any notable performance at intl test cricket.

Players coming through domestics have a huge gap to intl cricket and play decent to good for couple of matches and once found out on their technique and skills goes wiped off completely

Well, Pakistan team performance in 1st Test was miserable. But still there are 2 tests left. Let's hope the team make some drastic changes that help them win or at least tie the remaining tests

Shan is talking absolute nonsense here.
He should of expressed his disappointment of the poor batting display in both innings and said we will come harder in the next test match.
Not the attitude of someone wanting to win a series.
overall poor statement.

Don't judge his captaincy based on Australia tour. Australia is very very taught places so don't think too much about this series .

Don't judge his captaincy based on Australia tour. Australia is very very taught places so don't think too much about this series .
His captaincy was okay in the first test its all about if he can score runs whilst being a good captain.

Shan is talking absolute nonsense here.
He should of expressed his disappointment of the poor batting display in both innings and said we will come harder in the next test match.
Not the attitude of someone wanting to win a series.
overall poor statement.
They don't want to win a series its obvious they are happy to draw 1 test atleast.

Never say die but keep playing the same way until retirement is his policy... Playing intl cricket for nearly 50+ inns and still struggling to cement his place , and now made captain for his English ( well that is also in trouble it seems ) with his statement after loss.

He did midfield and dropped catch , also couldn’t score a 50 when the opposition has scored 700 runs , Pak couldn’t come close of half the runs that Aus made and he talks like this.

He is asking a genuine question , how is he made captain without any notable performance at intl test cricket.

Players coming through domestics have a huge gap to intl cricket and play decent to good for couple of matches and once found out on their technique and skills goes wiped off completely
He was in the squad before this series also captaincy and scoring runs are two different aspects.

10 overs difference but look at the difference in runs/scoring rate.

What a negative mental attitude. Performance will reflect how you feel about yourself and it seems that from the comments in the OP that our captain is happy to just be in the same ground as the ozzies. As a sporting nation, we have to believe that we can be not only competitve, but go out there with the mindset of winnning. This isnt a game of "surviving", rather the team should believe they can win, or atleast give the opposition some trouble. How will this kind of thinking relfect on the rest of the team?

He was in the squad before this series also captaincy and scoring runs are two different aspects.
Are you saying that Pak have a diff strategy to cricket , play 10 players + 1 captain who can speak good english and handle media bursts after every loss

He is there as a batter and need to score runs for the team...
If he is a bowler then need to take wickets first

Thats the players primary role , need to tick that box first then comes captaincy and whatever...

If the captain doesnt contribute in any , what is the motivation for other players to stand behind him and do well..

Back