I'm done supporting Pakistan in limited-over cricket

Asad T

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
I'm done supporting Pakistan in white-ball cricket. Their recent performance isn't the issue; it's the antics and values of the players. In fact, the majority of the T20I team embodies everything I DETEST in life.

White Ball Players

Starting with the T20 World Cup squad, the players I admire are in green text, players I detest are in red text, and those I'm ambivalent about are in orange text. Personally, Fakhar, Naseem, and Usman Khan are the only players I genuinely root for. They work hard, stay out of drama, are fit, fearless, and seem selfless.

8LVbrDq.png

Fakhar: Our only modern batsman with the ability to win matches singlehandedly. He can be frustrating, but no one can accuse him of being a stats padder, unfit, or engaging in team politics. Even when asked to bat at 4, he didn't complain as much as other players have when they have been asked to bat in their unnatural positions. He seems like a decent team man.

Naseem: This guy has serious heart. Fine, he may not be the same bowler post-injury; but you can tell he gives it his all. He looks fit, does not shy away from playing Test matches, and doesn’t engage in team politics.

Usman Khan: He still has a lot to prove internationally, but I admire him for giving up playing for the UAE (where he could have made more money and had a stable career) to represent his country of birth. A risky move likely to his detriment. While he may not be ready for international cricket, I root for him because of the sacrifice he made.

The rest seem selfish, engage in too much politics, don't take their fitness seriously, or are just daft. Yes, they are Pakistani and I have a bias to support them because of that, but when so many players fall into this category, I can't support them any longer. It's reached a point where I want these three players to do well and everyone else to fail.

In essence, I only like 3 out of 15 players, which is too low a number. So why should I support such a team?

Past Players

You could argue that teams from yesteryears had players with issues too, like Shoaib Akhtar with discipline issues and Wasim Akram with various fixing allegations. But:

The greatness of those players somewhat compensated for their personal issues. Today’s players have average ability, so their personal issues aren't compensated for by their talent (it reminds me of Barney Stinson’s graph from How I Met Your Mother—everything below the line should be rejected).

mSZzuIE.png

Looking at previous World Cup squads, I admired the majority of players. But liking only 3 out of 15 today is too low for me.

Red-Ball Players

That being said, I find our red-ball team more likable. I genuinely liked most of the players who played against Australia in 2023/2024:

Aamer Jamal: Used to drive a taxi in Australia and worked hard to get where he is.
Mir Hamza: A disciplined bowler with no drama, toiled in FC cricket/county, and worked hard for his spot.
Saud Shakeel: Has a good swag about him and seems to be trying to reinvent himself to become more aggressive.
Shan Masood: Though not universally liked, I think he's a dynamic captain who likes to take the game on.
Salman Agha: Good technique, fit, and can field. Just a likable guy.
Khurram Shahzad: I don't know much about him, but he seems like a simple guy, and I want to see him do well.
etc

Conclusion:

I'll only support the limited-over team till the majority of our players get in-line and develop a proper work ethic. Till then, Afghanistan is my team 🇦🇫.

What do you guys think?
Was this World Cup T20 2024 squad the most unlikable team in Pakistan cricket history?
And if so, to what extent does it affect your support of the team?

I've been comparing our players to the standards of India and Australia and unfortunately, none of our white-ball squad players can match the level of India and Australia cricket. Our players struggle with low strike rates, fitness, skills and intent. But Fakhar Zaman and Naseem Shah are the only two players who come close to meeting the requirements of the Indian and Australian standards of cricket. In fact, if I were to ask modern-day cricket legends to select their all-time playing XI, I doubt any of them would choose our current squad.

I'm done supporting Pakistan in white-ball cricket. Their recent performance isn't the issue; it's the antics and values of the players. In fact, the majority of the T20I team embodies everything I DETEST in life.

White Ball Players

Starting with the T20 World Cup squad, the players I admire are in green text, players I detest are in red text, and those I'm ambivalent about are in orange text. Personally, Fakhar, Naseem, and Usman Khan are the only players I genuinely root for. They work hard, stay out of drama, are fit, fearless, and seem selfless.

8LVbrDq.png

Fakhar: Our only modern batsman with the ability to win matches singlehandedly. He can be frustrating, but no one can accuse him of being a stats padder, unfit, or engaging in team politics. Even when asked to bat at 4, he didn't complain as much as other players have when they have been asked to bat in their unnatural positions. He seems like a decent team man.

Naseem: This guy has serious heart. Fine, he may not be the same bowler post-injury; but you can tell he gives it his all. He looks fit, does not shy away from playing Test matches, and doesn’t engage in team politics.

Usman Khan: He still has a lot to prove internationally, but I admire him for giving up playing for the UAE (where he could have made more money and had a stable career) to represent his country of birth. A risky move likely to his detriment. While he may not be ready for international cricket, I root for him because of the sacrifice he made.

The rest seem selfish, engage in too much politics, don't take their fitness seriously, or are just daft. Yes, they are Pakistani and I have a bias to support them because of that, but when so many players fall into this category, I can't support them any longer. It's reached a point where I want these three players to do well and everyone else to fail.

In essence, I only like 3 out of 15 players, which is too low a number. So why should I support such a team?

Past Players

You could argue that teams from yesteryears had players with issues too, like Shoaib Akhtar with discipline issues and Wasim Akram with various fixing allegations. But:

The greatness of those players somewhat compensated for their personal issues. Today’s players have average ability, so their personal issues aren't compensated for by their talent (it reminds me of Barney Stinson’s graph from How I Met Your Mother—everything below the line should be rejected).

mSZzuIE.png

Looking at previous World Cup squads, I admired the majority of players. But liking only 3 out of 15 today is too low for me.

Red-Ball Players

That being said, I find our red-ball team more likable. I genuinely liked most of the players who played against Australia in 2023/2024:

Aamer Jamal: Used to drive a taxi in Australia and worked hard to get where he is.
Mir Hamza: A disciplined bowler with no drama, toiled in FC cricket/county, and worked hard for his spot.
Saud Shakeel: Has a good swag about him and seems to be trying to reinvent himself to become more aggressive.
Shan Masood: Though not universally liked, I think he's a dynamic captain who likes to take the game on.
Salman Agha: Good technique, fit, and can field. Just a likable guy.
Khurram Shahzad: I don't know much about him, but he seems like a simple guy, and I want to see him do well.
etc

Conclusion:

I'll only support the limited-over team till the majority of our players get in-line and develop a proper work ethic. Till then, Afghanistan is my team 🇦🇫.

What do you guys think?
Was this World Cup T20 2024 squad the most unlikable team in Pakistan cricket history?
And if so, to what extent does it affect your support of the team?
You’ve come to this conclusion too late.

The damage done between 2019 (post Rizwan inclusion) to now is irreparable

You still think he is a good player. By 2026, you will be where I was in 2019.

@Asad T you wrote Rizwan is a good keeper, not good player. I misread

I don’t disagree with this.

You’ve come to this conclusion too late.

The damage done between 2019 (post Rizwan inclusion) to now is irreparable

You still think he is a good player. By 2026, you will be where I was in 2019.

Better late than never.
I just said he was good with the gloves. Not with the bat.
Though I don't mind him in the Test arena tbh

Better late than never.
I just said he was good with the gloves. Not with the bat.
Though I don't mind him in the Test arena tbh
Yeah I don’t mind him trying to manipulate things in Test cricket. No fraud will survive in the purest form of the game if he tries to do so.

I’ve gone to WAR with people here who have claimed Rizwan is a better T20 opener than Dilshan and Jaysuriya because he averages 50 and those two average in the 20s or 30s.

90% plus of Pakistan cricket fans have ZERO understanding of the game. It’s a real shame.

I agree with this thread in principle except for the baggage thrown towards Rizwan. It is getting too repetitive and boring to be honest. Hate him or like him, the fact of the matter is that Rizwan is the best w/k batter in Pakistan currently for all 3 formats. I know this does not suit the agenda for some.

And I don’t really care about how good a fielder Shadab is or how fit he is or how hard he tries. He can sell these features to Mickey mouse leagues and make a living.

I agree with this thread in principle except for the baggage thrown towards Rizwan. It is getting too repetitive and boring to be honest.
That’s exactly what the whites must have said when questioned about the apartheid, or any regime when consistently posed with the same questions about their tyranny.

It will not stop until the change happens. Get used to it!

Lower your standards victory’s over Ind Aus Eng are long gone.. have national holidays when Pak beat USA Oman Lanka.

What a pathetic team Pakistan is now, no dignity or pride left... very poor fitness standards and no ambition or drive at all... what a bunch of losers representing our country...

What a pathetic team Pakistan is now, no dignity or pride left... very poor fitness standards and no ambition or drive at all... what a bunch of losers representing our country...
This country has a lot of talent.... give deserving players a fair chance and after a year you will see the difference.

This nepotism culture is actually letting our country down.

This country has a lot of talent.... give deserving players a fair chance and after a year you will see the difference.

I am sorry.. we have no talent at all... nothing to look forward to... as a nation we need to stop being delusional and accept the reality... Cricket, much like our hockey and squash, is done and dusted...

Congratulations to PCB for destroying the last sport which we were good at...

When Fakhar Zaman retires, that’ll probably be the last time I watch a Pakistan match. I can’t see anyone else that can do what he does.

I’ve been watching Pakistan cricket since 2003, and I’ll always be thankful to the likes of Afridi, Razzaq, Akhtar, Gul etc for giving me and many others some special memories.

If Saim Ayub & Abbas Afridi are the future talent please don’t show me the rest.

So you're saying you have more hopes from the Test team, OP?

The Test team is in much worse shape. Haven't won a single Test match in SENA since 2018.

Also haven't won a Test match at home in 3 years.

The white ball sides are more likely to improve than Tests.

Someone needs to ask the question.

Even associate nations are working on power hitting and realise the importance of it. They work on an attacking top order. Why are we not? What is special about us that we can bypass this?

Someone needs to ask the question.

Even associate nations are working on power hitting and realise the importance of it. They work on an attacking top order. Why are we not? What is special about us that we can bypass this?
@daytrader and @shariqnoor are experts in responding to this question

They will tell you, “we have our own style”. Listen to them argue this.

It doesn't matter whether you guys are done, dislike, or stop watching pak cricket, but King Babar's fans can take PCB forward. He has a huge fan army, and they will single-handedly increase the viewership of Pakistan cricket.

It's cute that the OP has put Saim in positive and said likeable when he's been miserable with the bat. And he's put Rizwan in red when he's beaten Saim on all metrics. He's also put Fakhar and Usman in the green with out any iota of cricketing justification as they've both been equally poor.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's cute that the OP has put Saim in positive and said likeable when he's been miserable with the bat. And he's put Rizwan in red when he's beaten Saim on all metrics. He's also put Fakhar and Usman in the green with out any iota of cricketing justification as they've both been equally poor.
Ofcourse a Misbah devout would find the OP’s assessments as comical.

It’s the mindset that’s fans like you possess is the problem. Pakistan cricket is cursed until it’s this mindset that is influential.

Well i am done with Imam ul Haq in playing XI. He doesn't belong to the white ball format at all, statpadder

@daytrader and @shariqnoor are experts in responding to this question

They will tell you, “we have our own style”. Listen to them argue this.
And the irony is that our traditional t20 style was light years ahead of this. We had the likes of Imran Nazir, Kamran Akmal, Shahzaib, Afridi in the top order.

We got t20 cricket when it first came out. Now apparently, we are wiser, and don’t need these jahil hitters in our top order.

We have grown, educated ourselves, are far above such crude players. We have the smooth, silky…..Babar and the “fighter” Rizwan 🤢

Pakistan were an exciting ODI team till 2019.

Once guys like Hafeez, Shoaib Malik. Afridi, Akmal brothers etc. retired, it became boring.

From current bunch, only Fakhar is exciting.

Once guys like Hafeez, Shoaib Malik. Afridi, Akmal brothers etc. retired, it became boring.

Team under Sarfaraz used to look lethal even Babar initially was good as a captain but i guess the media pressure destroyed him and now has turned him into a liability unfortunately.

Team under Sarfaraz used to look lethal even Babar initially was good as a captain but i guess the media pressure destroyed him and now has turned him into a liability unfortunately.

Indeed.

Babar was in the CT 2017 team that won the silverware. Babar was a very entertaining batter prior to becoming the captain.

I am sure once Pakistan team starts doing better again, all these I am done, I support USA etc., type people will be back again 😂

This is going to be long so I apologise.

The main issue is Misbah. Ik misbah fans don't wish to digest this, but while Nisbah was a terrific red ball captain, mentor and player, he was dead awful in whiteball and no narrative will change that.

After a succesful campaign against India in 2012 and an Asia cup victory in 2012, it was the very same year where Misbah single handiesly lost the t20 series against England, He was so awful that he was forced to retire playing his final t20 game. His final innings was very similar to Chacha and Rizwan in Asia Cup 2022, where despite chasing a low total and the opposition giving away tons of extras, both batters left the game at an unwinnable RR position. Misbah after this was forced to retire from t20 cricket. This alone was a warning sign that he'd be useless as a coach and selector for t20.

This was followed by him leading Pakistan to it's worst ever ct 2013 campaign, what's bad wasn't that Pakistan lost all 3 games but that Pakistan lost to West Indies due to Misbah's insistence to drop afridi and akmal for Imran farhat and Umar Amin. Ironically Pakistan would play a series against West Indies a few months after and win with afridi getting a career best 7 wickets in a single odi game, showcasing how poor misbah was at team selection. UA wasn't special but during the 2013 to 2014 era he played clutch knocks especially his century against Afghanistan in 2014 and him dismantling Australia in 2014 t20 showcasing why someone like Umar Amin shpuld never have replaced him.

This was followed by 2014 Asia cup and 2015 world cup, in both tournaments Misbah sidelined Fawad Alam and Sarfraz until the final games. Fawad was a last minute inclusion in the semi final against Bangladesh and sarfraz a last minute inclusion against SA. Both these players would end up taking Pakistan to the home stretch with sarfi taking Pakistan to QF and Fawad chasing down 336 against Bangladesh to take Pakistan to The finals of the Asia Cup.

^^ The sad part is how arrogant misbah was when constantly being told to make these decisions as he kept insisting on backing someone like nasir jamshed over sarfi despite jamshed at that point virtually being dead baggage.

All this proved that Misbah throughout his whiteball career was clueless on team selections and team building as the person he would often discredit would often be the one to save Misbah some face during tournaments.

Afterwards Misbah appointing Azhar Ali out of the blue deapite azhar never playing odi for 4 years was such a hare brained decisions, that nearly got us booted out of CT as Pakistan fell to no 9.

When he finally came back as coach and selector, him appointing babar azam as captain, Rizwan as opener and chacha as finisher with him constantly demotivating fakhar saying he'll never be good enough painted a horrific image, Pakistan went from smacking Australia at 50% strength to losing to a 3rd tier sri Lankan team and losing to Zimbabwe. The chacha fakhar super over duo was also a trend started by Misbah.

The downfall of Pakistan cricket is solely centered around Misbah, either by him captaining or him appointing successors like babar, Rizwan and Chacha to take care of Pakistan cricket.

The final nail in the coffin is 2017 CT, as that's the only tournament that doesn't have a single bit of Misbah's influence since he was never involved in the decison to make babar no 3, or bring malik back into the team, or make fakhar an opener to replace Ahmed shehzad amongst other things.

Get rid of the Misbah mentality as well as his successor Rizwan and babar and let the coach do their jobs like mickey did and now Gary kristen and problem will be solved. Misbah and his goonies just don't let the coaches take care of Pakistan cricket.

Back