"I'm embarrassed to be here" : Steve Smith

jeetu

PPCL Hall of Famer
Runs
Post of the Week
http://m.nzherald.co.nz/cricket/news/article.cfm?c_id=29&objectid=11748556

Steve Smith has showed class under pressure after fronting one of the most difficult press conferences of his career.

Speaking with honesty in the face of a disastrous day for Australian cricket, Smith admitted he is "angry" and "quite sick" after seeing his team collapse to lose to South Africa by an innings and 80 runs in Hobart.

"Yeah it's (humiliating). I'm embarrassed to be sitting here to be honest with you," Smith said.

"Too many times we've lost wickets in clumps. 8-32 today, 10-85 in the first innings and you're not winning any games of cricket when you're doing that. It's happening way too consistently for my liking."

"We're not being resilient, we're not willing to tough it out and get through tough periods. "Right now it's not good enough. I am hurting."

"I need players that are willing to get in the contest and get in the battle and have some pride in playing for Australia and pride in the baggy green. That's what I need."

"At the moment it's not good enough and I'm quite sick of saying it to be honest with you. It's happened five Tests in a row."

What an opportunity for Pakistan to win a series in australia. It seems australians are losing interest in test cricket.

Pakistan if they can adjust to conditions quickly and play positive cricket we could win a test out in Australia and depending on the Aussie mental state during series pakistan could cause a real upset.

Can't see us winning the series, Starc and Hazlewood can inflict any sort of collapse.

At least he's being honest. Also he was the only batsman who looked good for Australia. If the rest of the XI had any spine at all he would have scored a hundred in the first innings

I feel sorry for Smith. My respect for him grew after him fighting a lone battle against the excellent South African seam attack. He has to play the AB role during this tough period for Australia. I don't think he has the toughness of Captain Grumpy (who once famously scoffed at McDermott, "Do that again mate, and you're on the next plane home, you f****n test me and you'll see.."), but looks like some of his players need the captain grumpy treatment from him.

Wow, never felt more for a player [An Australian for that matter] than I do Smith. Sad state of effects tbh.

Poor guy doesn't deserve to play in such a poor side. Only batter who showed fight in that pathetic score of 85 all out.

Going to be captaining a poor side for the early part of his tenure, hopefully things get better for Australia soon

sri lanka, as pakistan's eternal friends, have softened up australia nicely and aussies are now ripe for the picking.

you are welcome, boys.

What an opportunity for Pakistan to win a series in australia. It seems australians are losing interest in test cricket.

I'm not exactly sure how people keep on pulling out this old chestnut whenever Australia lose

I'm not exactly sure how people keep on pulling out this old chestnut whenever Australia lose

True. I think there's a difference between losing interest in Tests, and not having the quality atm to overcome their dire form. They'll bounce back as they always do. The infrastructure of Cricket in Australia is too big to fail, consistently.

Got to feel for the poor chap, trying his level best to carry the legacy of his esteemed predecessors. He can't be blamed or stripped of his captaincy when none of his teammates are showing the ability to fight it out.

The single most important attribute we have come to associate with the Australian team of the past, was their obduracy, they never surrendered without a fight, there was never an easy win for any opposition in the world against the Australians, winning matches against them was a treasure no captain could ever forget such was the aura around them.

Today, they have lost the ability to fight let alone win, I don't think the perception should change, even if they go on to blank the Pakistanis. Really sad state of affairs, I wonder what has gone so horribly wrong for them, its not like they don't have a system in place.

Hope for world cricket, Australians pick themselves up, at a time when cricketing skills are at an all time low perhaps the lowest ever no one would want Australians floundering even further.

Only a decade ago they were destroying their opponents in the same way and were smug about it. This goes to show that the dream team under Waugh was not the product of the Aussie system of developing cricketers but simply some very talented players lucky enough to play in the same era.

They implemented a bunch of measures on the recommendation of the Argus Review but that's not going to make any difference if talented players are currently not available in the Aussie gene pool.

There is no need to fix what is not broken. What they need to do is to stop complicating things and bring in fresh management. They should simply focus on basics with a long-term plan of developing young players that are not only talented but mentally strong as well as it seems the tragic death of Hughes may have had an effect on some batsmen at the sub conscious level and impacting their ability to perform at the highest level. The latter is pure speculation on my part. One should not read too much into it.

Last edited:
Only a decade ago they were destroying their opponents in the same way and were smug about it. This goes to show that the dream team under Waugh was not the product of the Aussie system of developing cricketers but simply some very talented players lucky enough to play in the same era.

They implemented a bunch of measures on the recommendation of the Argus Review but that's not going to make any difference if talented players are currently not available in the Aussie gene pool.

There is no need to fix what is not broken. What they need to do is to stop complicating things and bring in fresh management. They should simply focus on basics with a long-term plan of developing young players that are not only talented but mentally strong as well as it seems the tragic death of Hughes may have had an effect on some batsmen at the sub conscious level and impacting their ability to perform at the highest level. The latter is pure speculation on my part. One should not read too much into it.
Can you point to a single factual incidence that proves this 'smugness' you refer to.

I had written an article on this 5 years ago

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/s...he-End-Of-An-Era-Original-Article-By-Indiafan

Goes to show even the great Australian team is capable of panicing after a few poor results and will call for an overhaul just like Sub continental teams.

Goes to show even the great Australian team is capable of panicing after a few poor results and will call for an overhaul just like Sub continental teams.

It is not really an overhaul. Australia have been overhauling for a number of years now, ever since the likes of Ponting and Hussey retired and players like Katich were prematurely dumped. The problem only compounded with the retirement of Clarke, Haddin and Watson.

They have identified some key bowlers in these years but they are extremely injury prone. However, as far as the batsmen are concerned, Smith and Warner have been the only two constants. The likes of Khawaja, Marsh, Cowan, Rogers, Voges, Burns, Henriques, Wade etc. seem to come and go and it is difficult to keep track of them.

I think the Australian selectors have overestimated their talent pool. It is pretty clear by now that players like Khawaja and Shaun Marsh are not world class but they are better than the alternatives, and they should have been persisted with over the last 4-5 years like Pakistan stuck with Azhar and Shafiq.

This would be great if we weren't so much worse.

We were hammered both home and away less than a year back

Last edited:
How has Smith's own form been for the SAF series so far?

I haven't really followed this series closely enough to know
[MENTION=132373]Convict[/MENTION]

Yet in potential they have the most exciting pace attack. Unfortunately Starc, Cummins, Pattinson, Hazlewood will never be in one squad.

Now not only their bowlers' fitness is an issue but their batting is non existent in test cricket. They have been zero against spin since 2011 but now only Warner, Smith seem to survive sessions.

Just like the Windies board the ACB can't do much about it either in quick time. You just got to pick the best out of the poor choices and stick with them for the time being. Smith will be hoping that his bats take up the challenge and bat for long. This means guys like Mitch Marsh, Khawaja, Maxwell (in Asia a must) should be persisted with.

They said that in 2010 as well and yet we managed to screw up even with a class bowling line up.

Pakistan is Pakistan. They can surprise you any day.

Smith seems to me like a guy who is 5 matches into the process of mental disintegration.

He has reached the "thrashing round accusing the selectors of picking gutless players" stage.

Next up comes "pulling faces when your team-mates get out."

Then finally there is the stage that comes immediately before the end "stops scoring runs".

Then lastly there is the final stage "burst into tears and resign at a press conference" a la Kim Hughes and Kevin Keegan.

Why and how does SA winning a series in Australia present an opportunity for Pakistan to win there as well?

Pakistan doesn't have anywhere near the calibre of bowlers SA have.
I often hear a lot about Wahab Riaz, doesn't the guy average over 30 in Test cricket?
As far as I know he's a spray gun who can bowl quick. More like a poor version of Morkel.

Shah will have to play the containing role until day 5 at least. It's the batsmen and the seamers who have to keep Pakistan in the game until conditions are suitable for Shah to impose himself in the game.

Apart from Amir (who hasn't set the world on fire himself), I just don't know who can run through Australia. Perhaps I'm wrong, it'd be nice if a sober and knowledgeable poster could shed some light on where this false optimism is coming from.

I've seen a lot of aggressive posts over the last couple of months varying from Pakistan having the best attack, to travelling to SA and Australia and wiping the floor with them. This all with history suggesting otherwise.
SA just beat Australia in Australia, it doesn't mean they can travel all over the world and have it their own way. It's always important to be sober

Why and how does SA winning a series in Australia present an opportunity for Pakistan to win there as well?

I often hear a lot about Wahab Riaz, doesn't the guy average over 30 in Test cricket?
As far as I know he's a spray gun who can bowl quick. More like a poor version of Morkel.

Shah will have to play the containing role until day 5 at least. It's the batsmen and the seamers who have to keep Pakistan in the game until conditions are suitable for Shah to impose himself in the game.

Apart from Amir (who hasn't set the world on fire himself), I just don't know who can run through Australia. Perhaps I'm wrong, it'd be nice if a sober and knowledgeable poster could shed some light on where this false optimism is coming from.

I've seen a lot of aggressive posts over the last couple of months varying from Pakistan having the best attack, to travelling to SA and Australia and wiping the floor with them. This all with history suggesting otherwise.
SA just beat Australia in Australia, it doesn't mean they can travel all over the world and have it their own way. It's always important to be sober

He averages around 33 with 2 5-fers.

I think optimism is not simply due to SA winning. It's more due to lack of fight shown by Aus at home. If two closely contested wins were there with Aus putting good scores then very few PPers would have thought about Pakistan winning.

Anyway, Pakistan bowling is weak despite tall claims by many PPers. Having said that, if batting manages to put good scores then the same bowling unit can be handy in Aus. Problem is too high a dependency on Yasir. Whenever he goes missing, Pakistan bowling looks toothless. I think a lot will depend on how well Yasir does in Aus.

After losing to RSA the Aussies will be up for us big time. Beware of a wounded Aussie side.

Don't really like Smith but I feel bad for him, he played well but his team got destroyed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most arent really hyping them up in the way you are suggesting

At most, majority of posters are saying that its our best chance to do well in Aus which is very reasonable claim to make because:
1)Australia are their weakest in decades and in disarray
2)Pak have a settled unit with defined roles which is almost unheard of for us
3) With whitewashes in last 3 series in Aus, doing well relatively means avoiding a whiewash.

Ofcourse some will always have the blind optimism and bullishness regardless of reality and whats in front of them such as when we were going to win in SA in 2013 despite a weak team with terrible away record and no history of success in SA. So plz discount them.

tbh I get the feeling pitches for the Pak vs Aus series will be complete highways now in response to the beating Aus have copped from SA.

CA won't want Australia to be putting in such displays all summer, best way to prevent that is to give the FTB's a series to massage those averages.

I feel sorry for Smith. My respect for him grew after him fighting a lone battle against the excellent South African seam attack. He has to play the AB role during this tough period for Australia. I don't think he has the toughness of Captain Grumpy (who once famously scoffed at McDermott, "Do that again mate, and you're on the next plane home, you f****n test me and you'll see.."), but looks like some of his players need the captain grumpy treatment from him.

Talking about Allan Border ?

I'd be happy with a 1-2 series outcome - the Australian pace bowling is much better than the Pakistani pace bowling and even more so in home conditions and I don't think our batsmen will handle the bounce well at all, particularly Misbah and YK. However, I really want to see them give it their all and make sure that the opposition has to play their best to beat them.

I think SA would be much more competitive in Australia than Pakistan even if they didn't have Rabada (yes I admit I was wrong on him, he is already a world class bowler for someone who has only played a few games), De Kock and Amla in the team I still think any SA team would generally compete better in Australia than Pakistan. Not because they're better cricketers but because their home conditions are similar to Australian conditions. Similarly, Pakistan have a better record in India than SA have because of similar home conditions.

I don't really rate Smith as a captain. I won't be surprised if he is sacked soon.

Loving the banter between [MENTION=134473]Haroon786[/MENTION] and [MENTION=132982]soso_killer[/MENTION]:yk

Would love to see a Pak-SA series now.:srini

What Smith said: "I am embarrassed to be sitting here"
Quote changed to fit media narrative: "I am embarrassed to be here."

Who's Amir? The guy who averages 32.23 and 40+ in Australia?

Obviously not. "I am embarrassed to be here" would imply he is unhappy to be with the team. It is a classic case of media twisting words to fit their narrative.

He is embarrassed by the team and the players performances.

Back