Imran Nazir launches richest gully cricket

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Dubai: Pakistan former Test opener Imran Nazir launched 10PL, the richest ever gully cricket tournament to be played with tennis ball at the Sharjah Cricket Stadium this month end, during a colourful ceremony held at the Hyatt Regency on Friday evening.

This tournament, which has Indian opener Virender Sehwag as their brand ambassador, with prize money of Dh250,000, will be contested by 16 teams and held under the auspices of the Sharjah Cricket Council. Abdul Latif Khan, a popular gully cricketer in Mumbai during the nineties, who envisaged this tournament, announced the names of the teams from India, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Oman and the UAE.

Speaking at the launch, Nazir said: “I grew up playing gully cricket with tennis ball in Pakistan and I am so delighted to find a gully cricket tournament being held at an international stadium with huge prize money.”

The winning team will pocket Dh115,000 while the runners up can win Dh60,000. This event, which is being hosted by Petromann, a UAE-based oil and gas company, has received huge sponsorship support with Danube, Domino watches, Sveston, Lama Tours, Pocari Sweat, Pacific Ventures, Radio4 89.1 FM, Tools Marcom backing the event and Cricon as event consultants.

Anis Sajan of Danube, appealing for more such innovative tournaments, said: “It takes a lot of courage to organise such a tournament and hope that this tournament is a success and held every year.” The draw was attended by representatives of all teams.

Addressing the gathering through a video from India that was displayed on the giant screen, Sehwag called on all teams to train hard and produce excellent cricket. In Group A are Pacific Ventures, Yash Bisya Lions (Oman), Eastern Blues (Saudi Arabia) and Globe West Star Shipping.

Group B is made up of Team Petromann, Al Falah Cricket Club (Saudi Arabia), Amaco Warriors (Saudi Arabia) and Shehenshah Warriors (Pakistan). Group C has OCC Kerala (Saudi Arabia), Hanan Cricket Club (Qatar), SKC Goa (India) and Radio4 89.7FM. Group D comprise Friday Chargers (Abu Dhabi), Eleven Warriors, SAB Warriors (Saudi Arabia) and Alliance Freelance (Qatar).

Alongside the tournament there will be entertainment for families and lucky draw for the spectators. The entry will be free and all matches will be held under Sharjah’s stadium floodlights. The final is scheduled for December 2 with Sehwag presenting the winners’ trophy and individual awards for the top performers.

“The first edition is to give a taste of tennis ball cricket and encourage this format and for the next edition we will open the entry for more teams,” said Latif Khan.

http://gulfnews.com/sport/uae/cricket/nazir-launches-richest-gully-cricket-1.1932107

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 244
Last edited by a moderator:
That's the type of cricket he was meant for

excellent news for labourers etc - hope they dont let regular UAE teams compete for this as it would be unfair.

The concept of tennis ball cricket is different in India and Pakistan due to r the type of ball that is used. In Pakistan the tennis ball that is used is a closer to the tennis ball used in tennis competition and is slightly bigger (just slightly) and much lighter than the tennis ball used in indian tennis ball cricket which is heavier than a normal tennis ball (considerably heavier than the ones used in Pakistan tennis ball cricket) it doesn't bounce much and in nature behaves close to the hard ball bounce than the tennis ball bounce.

I remember joining some indian guys in my university for cricket 17 years ago and getting existed hearing that they play tennis ball cricket in that university town over weekend. I was disappointed to see that the kindof tennis ball the used... It took me few minutes to adjust to is (lack of )bounce.

Ps: couple of weekends into that kind of cricket I became comfortable with that ball and I was still best batsman in that town. :)

So I think if they use indian tennis balls I This tournament than it would be difficult for Pakistani team to do well in the tournament.

The concept of tennis ball cricket is different in India and Pakistan due to r the type of ball that is used. In Pakistan the tennis ball that is used is a closer to the tennis ball used in tennis competition and is slightly bigger (just slightly) and much lighter than the tennis ball used in indian tennis ball cricket which is heavier than a normal tennis ball (considerably heavier than the ones used in Pakistan tennis ball cricket) it doesn't bounce much and in nature behaves close to the hard ball bounce than the tennis ball bounce.

I remember joining some indian guys in my university for cricket 17 years ago and getting existed hearing that they play tennis ball cricket in that university town over weekend. I was disappointed to see that the kindof tennis ball the used... It took me few minutes to adjust to is (lack of )bounce.

Ps: couple of weekends into that kind of cricket I became comfortable with that ball and I was still best batsman in that town. :)

So I think if they use indian tennis balls I This tournament than it would be difficult for Pakistani team to do well in the tournament.

Are you talking about stumper balls?

So we can we finally have Gully aka Street cricket XI

Nazir Sehwag Levi Solanki Kapugedera Pollard K.Akmal Udana A.Sunny Unadkat Shinwari

Its a good initiative. Money is pretty good too , good for youngsters.

I've never played with a bare tennis ball in gully cricket, always played with electric tape wrapped around in a perfectly spherical shape over the ball known as tape tennish. Does it mean the same thing over here as well ??

Played a lot of tape tennis over the years !!

Back