"In a short space of time, we have prepared well for the series": Shan Masood

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Pakistan Test Captain addressed press conference ahead of Test match series against England:

About preparing the team:

"To prepare any team, you need to support and back the players. You need to show consistency in selection. In case of defeat, it’s easy to change the team, make many changes, or change the method of playing. But when you’ve made up your mind that you want to take this Test team forward, and you want to take Pakistan cricket forward, then consistency and backing matter a lot."

"First of all, we will take responsibility. We are accountable. The results we’ve had so far have not been up to the mark."

About preparation for the England series:

"If you look at the outlook of our squad—15 members, and after that, the inclusion of 3 more players—we’ve tried to maintain consistency in selection. If the squad members were changing frequently, then yes, you could say our preparation was lacking, but our plan is continuing just as we wanted."

"We always try to play red-ball cricket before a Test series, but the schedules are fixed long in advance. And if you’ve observed the Champions One-Day Cup 2024, the standard was good. There was Pakistan’s emerging talent in it, and our current players were also there. One-day cricket, especially in the weather in Faisalabad, had significant mental and physical demands. So, I think in a short space of time, we’ve prepared well for the series."

"And as far as Shaheen Shah Afridi is concerned, he’s bowled almost 10 overs in each match. Babar Azam has played many innings and scored a lot of runs. Your fitness gets tested when you have to bat for 50 overs and then field for 50 overs."

"Yes, we didn’t get targeted red-ball preparation, but we got enough preparation in challenging conditions where our current Test squad members played 3-5 matches. This lessened their workload, and they can participate in the Test series against England with fresh bodies."

About selection and pitch:

"In the last series, we were confirmed that both matches would be in Rawalpindi, so we had an idea of the kind of pitches we would need. We decided to back our fast bowlers and leave some grass on the pitch. In the first Test, there was 6mm of grass on the pitch, and in the second Test, there was 9mm. So Noman Ali was rested in that series. We had decided that if we play with a spinner, we would go with one spinner."

"We brought Noman Ali back into the squad because we now have to assess the conditions in Multan. Considering the situation, we will decide what kind of wicket we need."

"Khurram Shahzad is essential, and we’ve seen his performances in the last matches. Unfortunately, in Australia, he also bowled really well in the first Test, and the second Test had a good wicket, but he got injured."

About lessons learned from the Bangladesh series:

"Test cricket is a five-day game, and throughout those five days, your mental and physical fitness should be up to the mark."

"As a squad and our coach has emphasized, even when we were losing matches, we weren’t losing on the first or second day. If you look at our first two innings against Bangladesh, we declared after scoring 450 runs as a batting unit. Then, in the second Test match, the pitch had Bangladesh at 26 for 6, and we couldn’t capitalize on that. So mental and physical fitness matter for each Test match. If you look, our batting usually collapsed on the fifth day, so these are things we need to improve as a team."

About team unity:

"Every captain has their own style of maintaining a good environment in the dressing room, and for me, it's my primary concern. During the Australia tour or the series against Bangladesh, I didn’t see any lack of effort from any player."

About handling pressure as captain:

"Pressure exists in sports. Pressure is a privilege, meaning you are doing something that has a purpose. Leading your country, I don’t think there’s a bigger honor than that. I see the word responsibility more than pressure. It’s not acceptable for me or any player to face defeat. When the Bangladesh series ended, I think that was one of the most challenging periods of my life. But now, the focus is on how we can do better."

About fast bowlers' injuries:

"In Test cricket, fast bowling is very tough, so the workload of fast bowlers is always managed. Unfortunately, Khurram Shahzad has had injuries twice that we couldn’t control, but we’ve personally talked to the fast bowlers. What we’ve conveyed is that taking 20 wickets is a very important part of your role, and they need to be super fit as it’s a team requirement. So we’ve set some fitness standards. Fast bowlers should be the fittest in our team. It’s a priority case, and we are in constant communication with the fast bowlers while setting these standards."

Prepared well...by playing a bizarre, nonsensical white ball tournament just before the Tests?

The schedule is not his fault. But I were him, I wouldn't try to pretend that this OK, or that the PCB isn't an unprofessional circus. Use your platform to call this nonsense out.

Prepared well...by playing a bizarre, nonsensical white ball tournament just before the Tests?

The schedule is not his fault. But I were him, I wouldn't try to pretend that this OK, or that the PCB isn't an unprofessional circus. Use your platform to call this nonsense out.
If he does that he will be ousted as captain and moved on from the team.

So a domestic 50 over tournament consisting mostly of unknown youngsters and uncles is good preparation for an International test series?

I can appreciate that he has no say in scheduing but don't try and play fans for idiots at the same time.

Selection and pitches will play a key role in the outcome.

I feel leaving Hasnain out is an error.

Akif javed is a bowler who should be given an opportunity.
Neither of these guys are playing any regular first class cricket. Hasnain is an injury waiting to happen if you bring him into the test side. He needs 2 full FC seasons.

Neither of these guys are playing any regular first class cricket. Hasnain is an injury waiting to happen if you bring him into the test side. He needs 2 full FC seasons.
You can only afford those luxuries if you've got a battery of fast bowlers fit and ready like England currently do.

Needs must.

He s fit, in form and should play.

If I were Shan I would bat at 5 or 6 and move Rizwan to number 3
Man rizzu can't even keep for an entire 5 day test match and doesn't even have the mental fortitude to bat that long.

He'd get cremated at 3. I saw the Bangladesh test, the first game which had rain add spice to the pitch, Rizzu wouldn't have survived that, saim had the defense to iron it out before it became a road and by the time rizwan entered it was easy to score anyway?

Man rizzu can't even keep for an entire 5 day test match and doesn't even have the mental fortitude to bat that long.

He'd get cremated at 3. I saw the Bangladesh test, the first game which had rain add spice to the pitch, Rizzu wouldn't have survived that, saim had the defense to iron it out before it became a road and by the time rizwan entered it was easy to score anyway?
Send him up,

The guy wants to pave his way as captain at the failure of others whilst Pakistan still loses. Shan should be smart enough now. Send him in the firing line, he’s the form man apparently

You can only afford those luxuries if you've got a battery of fast bowlers fit and ready like England currently do.

Needs must.

He s fit, in form and should play.
The only way to build this “battery of fast bowlers” is to make them play FC cricket to build control, variation and stamina. No point in playing Hasnain only for him to be get injured during the match in which case we’d be a bowler short

As much as I like Hasnain’s attitude and his encouraging performances in the One Day Cup, he is still chucking.

There is definitely straightening. Unfortunate, because he’s got a lot of potential.

Send him up,

The guy wants to pave his way as captain at the failure of others whilst Pakistan still loses. Shan should be smart enough now. Send him in the firing line, he’s the form man apparently
I agree with this. Let’s let Rizwan have exactly what he wants. He gets 90% of what he wants anyway. Might aswell give him 100% so there are no excuses .

As much as I like Hasnain’s attitude and his encouraging performances in the One Day Cup, he is still chucking.

There is definitely straightening. Unfortunate, because he’s got a lot of potential.
I disagree his action looks good.

Shahbaz would of picked something up as well as the various coaches if that were the case.

Not to mention the umpires.

I agree with this. Let’s let Rizwan have exactly what he wants. He gets 90% of what he wants anyway. Might aswell give him 100% so there are no excuses .
Riz is the keeper.

How can it be logical to bat him up the order in tests.

The majority of keepers come in at No 6 or 7 in Tests due to workload.

I disagree his action looks good.

Shahbaz would of picked something up as well as the various coaches if that were the case.

Not to mention the umpires.
I’ve seen the Shahbaz video. Looks great in that. I’m not sure about match situation. Maybe it’s that illusion that was mentioned in that video with the shoulder rotation and wrist snap.

I’m happy to be wrong. He’s a great prospect and I give him a lot of props for trying to improve himself a it’s a refreshing attitude.

Riz is the keeper.

How can it be logical to bat him up the order in tests.

The majority of keepers come in at No 6 or 7 in Tests due to workload.
Ok, well whatever he wants, let him have it. He’s our heroic saviour and knows best.

I don’t want to hear any more of his excuses about how hard it is to bat at position x,y,z

What shorts period he was talking about? Pakistan got 1 months break from international cricket after Bangladesh series to prepare for England but they chose to play in domestic one day tournament so only player's and PCB are to be blamed .

Got to agree- Shan Masood talks a good game ! Problem is he never implements it. Perfect press conference - non controversial, said all the right things . All he needs to do is translate it onto the field. Easier said than done I guess. 3-0 win loading for Eng

Shan Massod or any captain currently for Pakistan is not going to make a swift turn around with this squad. The issue is with the mentality and that is not going away that easily. The team needs to take one step at a time and figure out it's strength. Pakistan needs to know what their strength is. The Bangladesh series has shown that pace isn't their strength as they were outbowled by a bunch of rookie pacers. I am not sure spin is either considering how Abrar in his only game was outbowled by BD spinners. So first Pakistan need to understand what works for them before they can make a transition. Pakistan need to unearth some good spinners for home (No a 38 year old isn't that) and prepare pitches which turn a bit which the home spinners can take advantage of. Rank turners will not help as that will bring the opposition spinners to the mix and England have decent spinners.

Shan always says nice things that feels like heaven for our cricket fans because of his fluent english but when it comes to real game, this guy is nothing but a failure.

There is no preparation. How can a player prepare for red ball cricket while playing white ball cricket.
Pcb is to be blamed here as well. I hope we can look better than we previously did against bangladesh but nothing much is gonna change.

Ok, well whatever he wants, let him have it. He’s our heroic saviour and knows best.

I don’t want to hear any more of his excuses about how hard it is to bat at position x,y,z
The key is to look at things objectively.

It is a fact that Riz is currently our best keeper batter.

It is nonsensical to expect any keeper batter to bat up the order after keeping for 100 plus overs.

Shan always says nice things that feels like heaven for our cricket fans because of his fluent english but when it comes to real game, this guy is nothing but a failure.

There is no preparation. How can a player prepare for red ball cricket while playing white ball cricket.
Pcb is to be blamed here as well. I hope we can look better than we previously did against bangladesh but nothing much is gonna change.
Shan is not responsible for the scheduling, However as captain he is bound to say that the champions cup is sufficient preparation.

The PCB is run by a clown so he is delivering as expected.

There is no question that loosing the home series to BD was a disgraceful performance.

Credit to BD for capitalising.

The attitude to win is lacking as well as the strategy.

They were 26 - 6 and we let them off the hook because we didn't have an express pacer or quality spinner to mop up the tail.

Hasnain need more FC cricket experience + he is just back from injury.. even when he was in the team haris rauf was preferred over because of his friendship with Shaheen and his fielding is slightly better than Hasnain..

Sameen Gul tall lanky fast bowler who can swing the ball both ways was still being ignored, i hope he is marked by Gillespie and taken to Australia ..

Shan is not responsible for the scheduling, However as captain he is bound to say that the champions cup is sufficient preparation.

The PCB is run by a clown so he is delivering as expected.

There is no question that loosing the home series to BD was a disgraceful performance.

Credit to BD for capitalising.

The attitude to win is lacking as well as the strategy.

They were 26 - 6 and we let them off the hook because we didn't have an express pacer or quality spinner to mop up the tail.
First of all, he does not deserve a place in the squad himself but he is our captain.
2nd, there is no preparation and fans know that this team is gonna lose another home series.

Shan is not the captain people think he is. Misunderstanding it is.

Pakistan will beat England.
I thought you hated Shan masood? You really trust his leadership to win against England?

Be careful what you wish for. Pakistan beating England could also result in Shan staying longer. If Shan loses this series then it's clear that sa will be his final series.

He was only called as captain for assignment till SA.

I thought you hated Shan masood? You really trust his leadership to win against England?

Be careful what you wish for. Pakistan beating England could also result in Shan staying longer. If Shan loses this series then it's clear that sa will be his final series.

He was only called as captain for assignment till SA.
Bad captains can win big series and good captains can lose them. I believe Pakistan will win this series in spite of Shan not because of Shan.

If Shan runs away with the plaudits and extends his career, so be it. It will be what God chose for him.

Preparation/Lack of preparation is no excuse. As if England were preparing for this series by playing ODIs against Australia in England.

Bad captains can win big series and good captains can lose them. I believe Pakistan will win this series in spite of Shan not because of Shan.

If Shan runs away with the plaudits and extends his career, so be it. It will be what God chose for him.
Pakistan haven't won a series at home from long long time so Pakistan fans desperate to win a test series .

Hope England continue this trend against new minnows of world cricket.

Pitty England don't have Archer and wood in the squad.

Pakistan haven't won a series at home from long long time so Pakistan fans desperate to win a test series .

Hope England continue this trend against new minnows of world cricket.

Pitty England don't have Archer and wood in the squad.
Don’t you dare call Pakistan a minnow while being on a Pakistani forum.

If Pakistan is performing like minnow than what we call them world champion? Lol

First win something then nobody call them minnows .

Right now they are borderline minnows in world cricket after getting betan by Bangladesh 2-0 at home

If Pakistan is performing like minnow than what we call them world champion? Lol

Right now they are borderline minnows in world cricket after getting betan by Bangladesh 2-0 at home
I blame the moderators for giving Indian fans the liberty and confidence to disrespect Pakistan whilst being on a Pakistani forum. If I were the admin, I would ban all such Indians.

Isn’t it a shame that you have billions of IT nerds and not one decent cricket forum. What are you even doing on PP?

Preparation/Lack of preparation is no excuse. As if England were preparing for this series by playing ODIs against Australia in England.
It does matter in test cricket. If you haven't been playing enough red-ball cricket, it will significantly affect your ability to bowl long spells and bat for longer periods of time. England are coming off a 5 test home season.

It does matter in test cricket. If you haven't been playing enough red-ball cricket, it will significantly affect your ability to bowl long spells effectively and bat for longer periods of time. England are coming off a 5 test home season.
Less than a month ago Pakistan played two test matches against Bangladesh .

I think Pakistan should have given rest to test Pacers in domestic odi tournaments .

Still this is home series for Pakistan so they are more than ready to face England .

It does matter in test cricket. If you haven't been playing enough red-ball cricket, it will significantly affect your ability to bowl long spells and bat for longer periods of time. England are coming off a 5 test home season.
England will always be carrying a lot of fatigue having played so much cricket with barely any gap.

They looked completely off it in that final Test against Lanka.

Also they won't have had much time to acclimatise in Pakistani conditions

I blame the moderators for giving Indian fans the liberty and confidence to disrespect Pakistan whilst being on a Pakistani forum. If I were the admin, I would ban all such Indians.

Isn’t it a shame that you have billions of IT nerds and not one decent cricket forum. What are you even doing on PP?
How are Pakistan not borderline minnows in Tests currently? Getting whitewashed at home by a #9 side is pretty much minnow territory ?

Less than a month ago Pakistan played two test matches against Bangladesh .

I think Pakistan should have given rest to test Pacers in domestic odi tournaments .

Still this is home series for Pakistan so they are more than ready to face England .
I'm talking generally. Pakistan players have not played much red-ball cricket this year.

They should have but they are too stupid to understand common sense or rationality. PCB's response to a series loss is to 'punish players' by making them take part in a domestic List A tournament, eventhough we aren't playing another ODI for months.

England will always be carrying a lot of fatigue having played so much cricket with barely any gap.

They looked completely off it in that final Test against Lanka.

Also they won't have had much time to acclimatise in Pakistani conditions
It's been a month since the Sri Lanka series, they have gotten enough rest. Only a couple of their test players were playing in the T20s and ODIs against Australia.

It's been a month since the Sri Lanka series, they have gotten enough rest. Only a couple of their test players were playing in the T20s and ODIs against Australia.
Stone, Smith, Potts, Carse, Duckett , Brooks all played the ODIs. Stokes is coming back from injury. Leach and Rehan haven't played Test cricket at all in a long while . Cox has never played Tests

Stone, Smith, Potts, Carse, Duckett , Brooks all played the ODIs. Stokes is coming back from injury. Leach and Rehan haven't played Test cricket at all in a long while . Cox has never played Tests
It's still 3 ODIs. Pakistan have been doing a far worse thing by subjecting their front-line pacers to 5-6 matches in a domestic List A tournament.

Hasnain need more FC cricket experience + he is just back from injury.. even when he was in the team haris rauf was preferred over because of his friendship with Shaheen and his fielding is slightly better than Hasnain..

Sameen Gul tall lanky fast bowler who can swing the ball both ways was still being ignored, i hope he is marked by Gillespie and taken to Australia ..
Sameen gul is a good bowler but the line up is missing pace which is why Hasnain was ideal.

Haris rauf doesn't play test cricket so that wont be a problem.

Zeeshan zameer, Akif javed , Wasim jr, Ihsanullah when fit are all good options.

First of all, he does not deserve a place in the squad himself but he is our captain.
2nd, there is no preparation and fans know that this team is gonna lose another home series.

Shan is not the captain people think he is. Misunderstanding it is.
Shan deserving a spot or not is a different discussion but the scheduling is a PCB remit.

After the BD series people are obviously not high in confidence with this side which is why we needed some aggressive options in the line up.

How are Pakistan not borderline minnows in Tests currently? Getting whitewashed at home by a #9 side is pretty much minnow territory ?
Historically Pakistan cant be classed as minnows however bad this current phase is.

india have played 581 test matches winning 180

Pakistan on the other hand have won 148 test matches having played 458 tests.

Historically Pakistan cant be classed as minnows however bad this current phase is.

We all know how bad were india but we are talking about current situation , Pakistan is entering in a borderline minnows catagory if they will perform like that for next 1 year .

We all know how bad were india but we are talking about current situation , Pakistan is entering in a borderline minnows catagory if they will perform like that for next 1 year .
A year s performance doesn't wipe out history.

Historically Pakistan cant be classified as minnows.

The inidan stat was to highlight history.

I'd say a pretty inexperienced eng bowling attack to be playing in their own conditions leave alone SC conditions.
In SC conditions u should have the wherewithal to Reverse, if you cant...you are toast....on ice
dont see thesenew inexperienced Eng quicks running thru sides in SC conditions and bashir, Ahmed etc ain't lyon/ash or Warne murlai cant see them taking all 20
If Pak batsmen are smart they need to tire out these quicks spell in and spell out and fill their boots, this is a good chance as any for pak-if they put one across early on Eng, call the early shots...they will cave in under the pressure....
Series will be interesting....

Although, I don't call Pakistan a minnow but you can't blame posters like Dewadwal for doing so as you were the one propagating this narrative for years, when Pakistan were doing slightly better. Therefore, you are responsible for the insults Pakistan fans have to take today.

How can you prepare for red-ball when you are not even playing red-ball a few days before the series starts? PCB held a one-day cup instead they should have arranged some red-ball cricket for these guys.

Back