India have been saved by the lower order/tail on many occasions

IAJ

T20I Star
Runs
Post of the Week
I have no stats on that ( many PPers are into that so they are welcome to provide us with that) but I have seen Indian mini collapses at times but their lower order have helped them out many times. I have seen Bhajji and Kumble doing that, even Mishra has played good knocks and these days they have Ashwin and Co to bail them out.

This just shows how important it is to have a lower order or bowlers who can hold the bat.

I allways thought Yasir Shah, Riaz and Aamir can give us some partnerships but they have really disappointed me, it is only Sohail Khan who seems to be a fighter down the order. Hopefully this can change.

Pakistan desperately need a couple of genuine alltounders. Dont know of Nawaz and Imad are ready but we have to try them to see how they fare.

This is a catch-22 situation.. For one we are happy that we are having such a capable lower order , for maybe the first time ever.. And most of their runs have come under really tight situations .. But our top order's inconsistency is glaring compared to the previous lineup we had.

This is a catch-22 situation.. For one we are happy that we are having such a capable lower order , for maybe the first time ever.. And most of their runs have come under really tight situations .. But our top order's inconsistency is glaring compared to the previous lineup we had.

Come on Pujara and Kohli have been pretty consistent. That leaves the openers and Rahane. The openers we have been chopping changing and have been injured so a bit of bad luck there. Rahane has come good before and will again

India has the strongest lower order followed by England.

Pakistan has the weakest, followed by Bangladesh.

I'm genuinely surprised Pakistan aren't picking all rounders in their side. Most sides nowadays have many all rounders in their ranks. England and India have a lot which is why their long batting depth digs their side out of trouble more often than not.

Pakistan are hardly picking all rounders in their side who are crucial to the balance of the side both in and outside asia. Nawaz is mediocre, the likes of Amir, Yasir and Wahab are far too inconsistent while Sohail is just about the only guy who contributes something with the bat.

Ashwin, Jadeja and Yadav scored 217 runs out of 417. Amazing.

Our lower order is good for SC conditions. Away only Ashwin is handy.

Similarly English lower order goes missing in SC conditions.

Our lower order is good for SC conditions. Away only Ashwin is handy.

Similarly English lower order goes missing in SC conditions.

Jayant Yadav averages 28 playing mostly in Lahli (swing and seam conditions where low scores are common I heard). His batting is so solid.

But dunno if he can be picked for overseas tours.

Yes and the top tuk tuk are here for holidays and they should just pile their runs in the desert.

Jayant is a solid bat, good to have him at no 9. Jadeja came to the party for a change but yeah our and English tails are pretty strong.

Jayant Yadav averages 28 playing mostly in Lahli (swing and seam conditions where low scores are common I heard). His batting is so solid.

But dunno if he can be picked for overseas tours.

tbh, I feel his batting is superior to Ahswin's. He should be sent ahead of Jadeja at least.

Depending upon Ashwin's performances overseas, Yadav could be selected if Ash doesnt perform.

But if we are two play only 2 spinners - anywhere in the world - Ash and Jayant both cant play at the same time.

I pretty much guess this ends Mishraji's career playing tests. Poor guy should've been developed earlier.. Started playing for India too late.

To be really honest, proper lower order happening is more FLUKE than planning.

If you really have to plan, then structural changes must be done in domestic cricket where no bowler should be allowed to be a mug with the bat. Like how Aussie, Saffer and English bowlers can hold a bat.

All rounders are a different issue though. Promising AR talent can be fast tracked and given chances. Still the ARs need to have the core quality (be good in either batting or bowling to make the team on merit) so this issue is really hard to sort.

If India develops a pace attack, you would give Kohli and management the credit cos those things can be developed with some raw materials.

If India has an all conditions lower order, its more luck than anything (unless domestic structure prepares and churns out ARs on a regular basis which desi circuits don't do).

---

If a team has Stokes, Woakes and Moeen in their XI, their lower order automatically becomes solid.

Last edited:
tbh, I feel his batting is superior to Ahswin's. He should be sent ahead of Jadeja at least.

Depending upon Ashwin's performances overseas, Yadav could be selected if Ash doesnt perform.

But if we are two play only 2 spinners - anywhere in the world - Ash and Jayant both cant play at the same time.

Jayant Yadav is so awesome...if only he puts more life in his bowling. Doesn't get enough side spin but keeps probing away to pick wickets.

Anyways Kuldeep is da man for the future. He can bat too. We gotta fast track him and test him. Ash and Kuldeep overseas would be solid (I believe we should always go with 2 spinners overseas unless conditions are extreme). If only 1 spinner can be played, then the better performer amongst them gets selected.

India over the years have worked on there tail . See how Ashwin has been promoted up and has responded well.

Pakistan do not have innovation skills and neither players are willing to work extra hard.

Jayant Yadav is so awesome...if only he puts more life in his bowling. Doesn't get enough side spin but keeps probing away to pick wickets.

Anyways Kuldeep is da man for the future. He can bat too. We gotta fast track him and test him. Ash and Kuldeep overseas would be solid (I believe we should always go with 2 spinners overseas unless conditions are extreme). If only 1 spinner can be played, then the better performer amongst them gets selected.

I am actually quite excited by the potential of our bowling line up.
We have a battery of bast bowlers - Shami, Yadav, Bhuvi, Ishant and Bumrah. And a good variety of spinners in - Ash, Jayant, Jadeja, Mishra and Kuldeep (fingers crossed).

They should be able to do the job in LOIs and surely take 20 wickets on most pitches in the world. Ideally if we could play 5 bowlers in any XI, we could be a really effective Test team.

Its the batting, surprisingly, that is a concern. They dont seem to put too much of a price on their wickets. I hope we can play 5 batsman + 1 WK (hopefully Pant) overseas too.

We do have decent lower order spinners who can bat i.e Nawaz, Gohar and Imad. We just lack pace bowlers who can bat. Sohail Khan has had some fun but I can't see that lasting TBH.

When India travel away they will have to play the likes of Bhuvi (who can bat) Ishant along with Shami and Umesh Yadhav. It's not going to be as impressive as it is against England currently.

Eng has the best tail in world right now and Ind is going there too and its very good for any team.

I am actually quite excited by the potential of our bowling line up.
We have a battery of bast bowlers - Shami, Yadav, Bhuvi, Ishant and Bumrah. And a good variety of spinners in - Ash, Jayant, Jadeja, Mishra and Kuldeep (fingers crossed).

They should be able to do the job in LOIs and surely take 20 wickets on most pitches in the world. Ideally if we could play 5 bowlers in any XI, we could be a really effective Test team.

Its the batting, surprisingly, that is a concern. They dont seem to put too much of a price on their wickets. I hope we can play 5 batsman + 1 WK (hopefully Pant) overseas too.

Yeah...things are shaping up nice.

With that being said, its all fun and games till this team gets on a flat pitch (with nothing for spinners and a tinge of life for pacers but no reverse). Been excited about our bowling in the past only to see it fall flat to close the deal overseas.

But there is NO DOUBT that the quality of our bowling has significantly increased in the last 1-1.5 years. And this bowling attack is super solid on pitches apart from our nemesis pitches. Onus is on Shami, Umesh, Bhuvi and Ash to step up on those pitches. Kuldeep needs to be tried out too.

I'm genuinely surprised Pakistan aren't picking all rounders in their side. Most sides nowadays have many all rounders in their ranks. England and India have a lot which is why their long batting depth digs their side out of trouble more often than not.

Pakistan are hardly picking all rounders in their side who are crucial to the balance of the side both in and outside asia. Nawaz is mediocre, the likes of Amir, Yasir and Wahab are far too inconsistent while Sohail is just about the only guy who contributes something with the bat.

India are not picking the bowlers keeping 'alrounder' in mind. Just that the bowlers themselves have delivered with the bat. Ashwin and Jadeja are the best available spinners in India, and maybe even in world for Indian Conditions at least! Jadeja is in the team because of his bowling (and fielding in LOIs) And Jayant is picked over others probably because others are not good enough! And the spinners are picked over seamers simply because they are more effective! It is our luck that they all have potentials with the bat (they were batsmen initially to start with, and good that their initial strength is coming off and showing up now! And thanks to their improvement in the bowling which held them till now!)

This Indian team has the potential to sustain #1 ranking for a long time. Solid top 5, batting depth, great spinners, reasonably good pacers. The only thing missing is a better wicket-keeper batsman.

No doubt.

But can't see India winning overseas.

Mentally too fragile.

Will never be the real No. 1 like we were after England series.

No doubt.

But can't see India winning overseas.

Mentally too fragile.

Will never be the real No. 1 like we were after England series.

This Indian team has much better chances of winning overseas actually. They have a far superior batting line-up and on par bowling attack.

Haha. Better than the line up 5 or 6 years ago?

No chance.

Yes, because conditions have changed a lot. Also, teams like Australia, SA, and England are not as strong as they were 5, 6 years ago.

Another factor that goes into India's favor is the age of their players. They are all either hitting their peak or about to do it in the next 2-3 years. It is a team on the rise. Other teams have either over the hill players or ones who are just starting their careers.

This Indian team has the potential to sustain #1 ranking for a long time. Solid top 5, batting depth, great spinners, reasonably good pacers. <b>The only thing missing is a better wicket-keeper batsman.</b>

Saha was recently MotM. He also has the only century in an IPL final at a S/R of 200+. He is better than good enough.

Injury to Rohit has been a blessing in disguise.

Jayant is batting better than Rohit and he can bowl well too.

The way Jayant showed the confidence in his batting, he could be promoted up the order even a head of Ashwin.

Yes, Kuldeep is quite capable with the bat and can smash it too.

Just saw him hitting the likes of Jaddu, Pankaj Singh and Karn Sharma the other day :

http://www.bcci.tv/videos/id/2530/d...d-blue-kuldeep-yadavs-late-blitz-with-the-bat

Back