India to use DRS system during the England Test series

Amjid Javed

PakPassion's 100,000 posts man
Runs
Post of the Week
Wow! so India finally going to give DRS a good, should be interesting to see how quickly Kohli and co adapt to using it, especially in the field when playing on dust bowls with their spinners. We saw how much DRS came into play during Pakistan v England UAE series in 2012 when spinners ran amok and how well DRS was used in that series.

http://sports.ndtv.com/news/bcci-fa...1477221?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

It may be steadfastly opposing the Lodha panel reforms approved by the Supreme Court, but the Board of Control for Cricket in India has fallen in line with many top Test playing nations in accepting the Decision Review System.

Even it will be on a trial basis, the BCCI has agreed to use the DRS during the Test series against England in November. The first of the five Tests will be played in Rajkot from November 9.

Bcci last used the decision review system in Sri Lanka in 2008.

In a media release on Friday, the BCCI said it was satisfied that most of the concerns and suggestions that were expressed by the Board over a period of time, were addressed to a significant extent.

The significant changes, which have been effected, include the introduction of ultramotion cameras that will calculate the predictive path which allows the ball tracking to be more accurate.

The introduction of the 'Ultra edge', which has been approved by MIT, will also be used during the series. Ultraedge also ensures that post impact balls do not affect the predicted path or impact point and hence the accuracy has been improved.

BCCI secretary Ajay Shirke said: " With MIT endorsing the enhancements made in the system on the basis of recommendations made by the BCCI, we are convinced that such technology should be utilised in supporting correct decision making."

Last edited by a moderator:
Kohli seems to have got everyone to agree to this. getting Kumble onboard must have been the toughest call.

If Dhoni was still around in Tests, we would have never agreed for this.

Should have come a lot earlier. It's been a long time coming. I just hope they don't ditch it after one series. We have had a lot of decisions go against our way as well because of the lack of DRS. Should have whitewashed Lanka away if not for the absence of DRS, but we have nobody to blame other than the stubborn BCCI.

Good. Jadeja will get tons of LBW decisions if they use it smartly.

A great step by BCCI. Now there won't be obvious howlers.

And I got a feeling India will benefit more of DRS than opposition :srt

Might back-fire, a lot of LBWs getting over-turned because ball is moving too much in BDvEng match :))

No.BCCI had one of its biggest objections solved.Secondly this is only a trial so lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Look if you want to make statements like this on a web forum, elaborate. If they had an objection solved, mention it, otherwise dont bother as no one can take you seriously.

Would the DRS equipment used in the IND vs. ENG series differ from what is being used in PAK vs. WI and Bang vs. ENG?

To be fair Indians looked backwards trying to say no to DRS for the last decade. everyone knew the system works and only reason BCCI was hesitant to use it was because the advantage they seemed to have over umpires and officials during series.

To be fair Indians looked backwards trying to say no to DRS for the last decade. everyone knew the system works and only reason BCCI was hesitant to use it was because the advantage they seemed to have over umpires and officials during series.

You seem to suggest that the umpires are corrupt. If that is the case, do you have proof? If you don't, then let's not taint the officials.

You seem to suggest that the umpires are corrupt. If that is the case, do you have proof? If you don't, then let's not taint the officials.

don't try this with me mate, this is forum for discussion and everyone is in their rights to talk about why BCCI was not choosing to use DRS when everyone in the world was telling them that system cuts on mistakes.

India has advantage over officials?

Actually India has lost many tests due to not having DRS.

Would the DRS equipment used in the IND vs. ENG series differ from what is being used in PAK vs. WI and Bang vs. ENG?

There'll be all the bells and whistles. Even Hawkeye and Snicko.

don't try this with me mate, this is forum for discussion and everyone is in their rights to talk about why BCCI was not choosing to use DRS when everyone in the world was telling them that system cuts on mistakes.

The BCCI was wrong about DRS no question about it. And I am not question about your forum rights. It is just that your post seem to suggest that the umpires have accepted some monetary rewards in return to favor BCCI.

Why do you think that the umpires are corrupt? Do you believe that they accepted $$?

It's up to the broadcaster to pay Hawkeye for the services who I believe then supply the equipment and operators.

Last edited:
It's up to the broadcaster to pay Hawkeye for the services who I believe then supply the equipment and operators.

Why would broadcaster pay for DRS. It is not their responsibility to run the game. I understand that they can install and control the equipment and provide the expertise, but should pass the cost onto to the boards.

Why would broadcaster pay for DRS. It is not their responsibility to run the game. I understand that they can install and control the equipment and provide the expertise, but should pass the cost onto to the boards.

Hawkeye, snicko and hotspot are a broadcasting aid and enhancement as well as decision making systems I guess. The vaste majority of broadcasters around the world will pay for hawkeye anyway with or without DRS given its the key to a huge amount of analysis.

Hawkeye, snicko and hotspot are a broadcasting aid and enhancement as well as decision making systems I guess. The vaste majority of broadcasters around the world will pay for hawkeye anyway with or without DRS given its the key to a huge amount of analysis.

If that is the case, then they will only agree to use it as an unofficial tool. If the burden is on them to make if official then they will look to get paid for it. That is how it works in the real world.

The BCCI was wrong about DRS no question about it. And I am not question about your forum rights. It is just that your post seem to suggest that the umpires have accepted some monetary rewards in return to favor BCCI.

Why do you think that the umpires are corrupt? Do you believe that they accepted $$?

i never once said umpires were fixing matches by taking money from BCCI.

My thinking is BCCI controlled some sort of influence on umpires and officials by making sure they are not picked for any home series, world events or the IPL had the umpire or match referee given any decisions against India. the pressure from BCCI on these officials is what they wanted and could not be provided if DRS was used.

i never once said umpires were fixing matches by taking money from BCCI.

My thinking is BCCI controlled some sort of influence on umpires and officials by making sure they are not picked for any home series, world events or the IPL had the umpire or match referee given any decisions against India. the pressure from BCCI on these officials is what they wanted and could not be provided if DRS was used.

So the umpires wanted employment in return. They were/are scratching BCCI's back hoping that the BCCI would return the favor with IPL.

Why is the ICC turning a blind eye (rhetorical question)?!

So the umpires wanted employment in return. They were/are scratching BCCI's back hoping that the BCCI would return the favor with IPL.

Why is the ICC turning a blind eye (rhetorical question)?!

its not that black and white, i think the influence of BCCI in umpires getting future series especially the world tournaments and IPL was so much that most umpires didn't want to ruffle any feathers at BCCI, what ever the cricket board was saying they were agreeing with.

regarding ICC, it has no power any more, they again are scared of messing up their relationship with BCCI a board that brings in so much money to ICC

would you like to give your point of view now?

Last edited:
Can't believe some conspiracy theorists still believe that the Hawkeye was incorrect :asif.

LOL Ajmal himself as stated in many interviews thats the ball he bowled was a normal off spinner yet the hawk eye made the ball go in the different direction missing leg stump. how is that possible when a bowler himself is saying that the hawk eye made the ball spin into a complete different direction to where it actually went.

its not that black and white, i think the influence of BCCI in umpires getting future series especially the world tournaments and IPL was so much that most umpires didn't want to ruffle any feathers at BCCI, what ever the cricket board was saying they were agreeing with.

regarding ICC, it has no power any more, they again are scared of messing up their relationship with BCCI a board that brings in so much money to ICC

would you like to give your point of view now?

My point is that it takes two. The BCCI can only influence those that can be. There is no reason for the umpires to be intimidated by anyone (BCCI in this case) unless they want something in return. So it is essentially a give and take from both parties.

LOL. were you not doing it already? remember Tendulkar out in WC Semi-final

Ajmal says in countless interviews he balled a Doosra to Tendu meant to be hitting off stump or middle, yet the hawk eye changed the delivery into a off spinner that was missing leg stump.

very very shady what happened that day with DRS

My point is that it takes two. The BCCI can only influence those that can be. There is no reason for the umpires to be intimidated by anyone (BCCI in this case) unless they want something in return. So it is essentially a give and take from both parties.

well yeah, anyone who is part of international cricket wants to be part of the IPL the umpires are no different.

so are BCCI wrong for having an influence of officials because of the money they make, or are the officials in wrong having special rules for Indian team.

well yeah, anyone who is part of international cricket wants to be part of the IPL the umpires are no different.

so are BCCI wrong for having an influence of officials because of the money they make, or are the officials in wrong having special rules for Indian team.

They both have equal blame in this.

LOL Ajmal himself as stated in many interviews thats the ball he bowled was a normal off spinner yet the hawk eye made the ball go in the different direction missing leg stump. how is that possible when a bowler himself is saying that the hawk eye made the ball spin into a complete different direction to where it actually went.

A completely different direction? You mean a right armed off spinner turning a ball towards the leg side, just like a regular off spinner would? Or are you one of these hilarious people who believe the ball shouldve suddenly zig zagged after hitting the pad.

A completely different direction? You mean a right armed off spinner turning a ball towards the leg side, just like a regular off spinner would? Or are you one of these hilarious people who believe the ball shouldve suddenly zig zagged after hitting the pad.

its very simple thing to understand which you seem to can't.

Ajmal says in many interviews that delivery was a doosra bowled on the middle stump line which would have taken out off stump had Tendu not got hitten flush on the pads, yet when hawk eye shows the replay it changes the ball into a usual off spinner that when pitched on middle stump turned sharply to miss leg.

What the hell was that, even the bowler to this date is confused to how hawk eye changes a doosra into a off spinner

its very simple thing to understand which you seem to can't.

Ajmal says in many interviews that delivery was a doosra bowled on the middle stump line which would have taken out off stump had Tendu not got hitten flush on the pads, yet when hawk eye shows the replay it changes the ball into a usual off spinner that when pitched on middle stump turned sharply to miss leg.

What the hell was that, even the bowler to this date is confused to how hawk eye changes a doosra into a off spinner

The ball pitched outside off and impacted on middle, quite evident from both Hawkeye and just standard replays. You quite clear haven't seen/barely remember the delivery making it more bewildering that you can cry conspiracy over it.

Funny to read the excuses about why BCCI refused to use DRS after 2008. That was bullying by Kumble, Sachin (changed his mind after 2011), Dhoni, Venkatraghavan and Srinivasan. Read interviews of guys like Sehwag, Bhajji, Gambhir even Kohli, they were always for DRS but could not be very vocal about it due to BCCI.

Who can forget Dhoni's idiotic line about comparing 100% danger proof life vests when talking about UDRS. BCCI does not even allow hawkeye replays to be shown during telecast of home matches in India.

Glad to see the change in stance and hopefully we embrace DRS wholeheartedly across all formats.

India's boards are such drama queens. I hope ICC kicks theses guys out for a year or two. That would be a blessing. Their mentality is pathetic.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the Hawkeye. it looked close but on slow Mo looked like it would just kiss the leg stump or marginally miss leg

LOL. So the umpire who awarded 5 penalty runs to NZ due to Jadeja running on the pitch while batting in the recent third test is not going to be officiating in games involving India in future or in world events or in the IPL?

Hilarious conspiracy theories from our esteemed parosis :))

Special rules for us LMAO.

Very true.

The present system with Ultra edge is totally automated.Free of any kind of operator induced mistake.This was the biggest objection of BCCI and that has been rectified.

Kya [MENTION=93712]MenInG[/MENTION] bhai you also dont believe me.

The present system with Ultra edge is totally automated.Free of any kind of operator induced mistake.This was the biggest objection of BCCI and that has been rectified.

Kya [MENTION=93712]MenInG[/MENTION] bhai you also dont believe me.

You got any source for this? I highly doubt it's completely automated given it needs 4 operators there consistently to manage the system. Wouldn't exactly need 4 people present to let the system do its thing and then send it over to broadcaster.

You got any source for this? I highly doubt it's completely automated given it needs 4 operators there consistently to manage the system. Wouldn't exactly need 4 people present to let the system do its thing and then send it over to broadcaster.

I can only request you to believe me.

The point of impact determination,the recording of system have all been automated.

No it was not.It has become automated post introduction of the ultra edge.Now the ultra edge will determine the exact frame.

Once again you got any source for this because the founder of Hawkeye has stated the opposite of this is in the past and I know who I'm leaning towards believing for now...

Once again you got any source for this because the founder of Hawkeye has stated the opposite of this is in the past and I know who I'm leaning towards believing for now...

Please link me to the source where the Hawk Eye founder said that the point of impact is determined automatically.

The human ‘element’ in the system (Three Hawk-Eye staff are required to operate the system. Their roles include lining up and calibrating the cameras used by the system and measuring the pitch and the stumps) does tend to create doubt among players and boards. How would you dispel those doubts?

The adjustment of the interception point by the technician has no influence on where the ball passes the stumps; it only effects the position of the impact point or the point where the batsman was struck along the line of the trajectory of the ball.

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Repo...-skin-custom&Path=BGMIR/2011/07/01&ID=Ar01800

The technician determines the point of impact.

One way in which the DRS system could be made better is that if a review is rejected as "umpire's call", it shouldn't be charged as one unsuccessful review. Bang's first LB appeal against Moeem cost them 1 review, and given that it was shown to be hitting the off-stump, they should not have lost a review. Bang were already victimized by not asking for a LB review which would have got Moeem out at 1.

Kohli seems to have got everyone to agree to this. getting Kumble onboard must have been the toughest call.

If Dhoni was still around in Tests, we would have never agreed for this.

Kumble visited MIT to get upto speed about the latest DRS developments before taking up the coach role.

One way in which the DRS system could be made better is that if a review is rejected as "umpire's call", it shouldn't be charged as one unsuccessful review. Bang's first LB appeal against Moeem cost them 1 review, and given that it was shown to be hitting the off-stump, they should not have lost a review. Bang were already victimized by not asking for a LB review which would have got Moeem out at 1.

Couldn't agree more. Umpires call should not cost a team a review.

Interesting, there's a few other sources around that say Paul Hawkins stated in a letter to the icc that virtual eye was unreliable compared to Hawkeye because of the manually selected point of impact in virtual eye but everywhere seems to be reporting now that Hawkeye was also a manually selected frame for the point of impact.

I said this but you would not trust me.And there was no source for me to quote yesterday.But trust me i know what i was saying.

This manual impact selection was the biggest reason why BCCI wont trust the Hawk Eye.

At the end of the day both Hawk Eye and Virtual eye are two companies peddling their wares.

Kumble visited MIT to get upto speed about the latest DRS developments before taking up the coach role.

Kumble and Venkatraghavan were the reason why Srini foolishly blocked DRS all those years. Thankfully after becoming ICC Cricket Committee Jumbo shed the reluctance and did well to learn the system better and also roping in MIT for improvements. Now good to see BCCI embrace ut as well. All those reasons they gave earlier for being against it were totally bogus.

Great news for cricket in general. Funny how BCCI is now trying to save face by making it sound like things have drastically improved el oh el. Probably thought that without their support and approval DRS will eventually go away or something. Nope still here no one else has had any major issues with it. Obviously the technology has improved over time but they have been more than sufficient for use in cricket for a long time now anyways. No such system will ever be 100%. However DRS even with all it’s faults will always be a lot more accurate and consistent than umpires alone. That much is absolutely certain.

Great news for cricket in general. Funny how BCCI is now trying to save face by making it sound like things have drastically improved el oh el. Probably thought that without their support and approval DRS will eventually go away or something. Nope still here no one else has had any major issues with it. Obviously the technology has improved over time but they have been more than sufficient for use in cricket for a long time now anyways. No such system will ever be 100%. However DRS even with all it’s faults will always be a lot more accurate and consistent than umpires alone. That much is absolutely certain.

1.Save face?Lol.As if someone in icc has the guts to ask bcci any questions.

2.The improvements have been mentioned.Hawk Eye is now automated and free from operator interference.

3.This is a trial of the new technologies used to improve drs.Bcci is free not to use it after this if they so feel.

In your hatred you fail to see how bcci's insistence has improved the system.

2.The improvements have been mentioned.Hawk Eye is now automated and free from operator interference.

3.This is a trial of the new technologies used to improve drs.Bcci is free not to use it after this if they so feel.

You mean system would not have improved if BCCI had agreed to it? Sounds like a load of ********. Those companies providing the technology have always worked on making it better, BCCI or no BCCI.

As for the crap about BCCI's issues with hawkeye, well that did not prevent them from saying no to an operator assisted DRS in ICC tournaments. So again sounds like an excuse. Opposition to DRS was purely driven by few individuals and with a new leadership in charge, there is a shift in stance.

Oh please spare me all that BS. Seriously do you actually believe most of the stuff you type. Since you didn't get it the first time around the fact of the matter is that DRS even with all it’s faults was ALWAYS much more accurate and consistent than umpires alone. That's why no one else had any major issues with it even with the minor hiccups from time to time. It was obviously a significant improvement on the status quo and a system worth investing in. BCCI geniuses on the other hand all they were doing was going on and on about it not being 100% and how it costs an arm and a leg and what not to try and discredit the system. That didn't work now did it. Is DRS 100% perfect now? Yeah didn't think so.

You mean system would not have improved if BCCI had agreed to it? Sounds like a load of ********. Those companies providing the technology have always worked on making it better, BCCI or no BCCI.

As for the crap about BCCI's issues with hawkeye, well that did not prevent them from saying no to an operator assisted DRS in ICC tournaments. So again sounds like an excuse. Opposition to DRS was purely driven by few individuals and with a new leadership in charge, there is a shift in stance.

The BCCI had made it absolutely clear that they will not use Hawk Eye as long as it was operator driven system.They had no option but to use it in ICC tournaments as that was the law,but they didnt use it in bilateral series.Its was BCCI that forced the issue on using an automated system and have the system vetted by MIT as an independent authority.And thats why Anil Kumble also went to MIT.

There has been lot of underhand tactics going on to thrust the Hawk eye on the boards and get ICC to fund it.

And this has nothing to do with "leadership changes".The leader at the end of the day are the BCCI officials.And dhoni is still the LOI captain and Kumble was at the forefront of DRS opposition.

Oh please spare me all that BS. Seriously do you actually believe most of the stuff you type. Since you didn't get it the first time around the fact of the matter is that DRS even with all it’s faults was ALWAYS much more accurate and consistent than umpires alone. That's why no one else had any major issues with it even with the minor hiccups from time to time. It was obviously a significant improvement on the status quo and a system worth investing in. BCCI geniuses on the other hand all they were doing was going on and on about it not being 100% and how it costs an arm and a leg and what not to try and discredit the system. That didn't work now did it. Is DRS 100% perfect now? Yeah didn't think so.

What other boards felt matter little to BCCI,they are not some sheep who will follow others without using their own logic and looking after their own interests.

BCCI had an issue with the operator derived manual selection of point of impact.That was their biggest issue,as that leaves everything in the hands of the Hawk Eye operator.That system is now automated and hence BCCI has agreed to do a "TRIAL" of the new system.

And did you think BCCI will come out and say we dont trust the Hawk Eye operator so we will not use the system?LOL.They said what they wanted to say in ICC meetings.

And what do you mean by it didnt work?Hawk eye has now addressed the issues raised by BCCI and made the system automated.So BCCI got what it wanted.And at the end of the day this is a "TRIAL".

I know how you want to portray this as BCCI made to climb down and fall in line and trying to save face etc etc,if only that was true.

I always thought it was cause Shehwag was using it like no tomorrow. I've seen him use at least 4 times without consulting with his partner.

You need proof from others, but some how people need to believe you ? Stop clowning around.

Didnt ask you to trust me.Dont care either.Nothing that i have said about BCCI has ever come out to be false.

Regarding your personal comments on me well MODS can look after that.

What nonsense. BCCI have done jack all. With time and investment in the system obviously there have been technological advancements and improvements. Credit goes to the boards and players who still continued to support the system despite the minor hiccups from time to time. Had DRS been done away with all those years back when BCCI opposed it we would still be well behind the eight ball. As if umpires alone was ever a better alternative to umpires + DRS. Absolutely ridiculous. BCCI is just playing games with their bogus facts and figures as usual. Must think we are all stupid or something to buy that rubbish.

http://arysports.tv/drs-makes-india-debut-debate-still-rages/
India will become the last Test nation to embrace cricket’s decision review system (DRS) this week, ending their resistance to on-field technology at a time of growing debate about its impact on the game.

While the recent series between England and Bangladesh fuelled criticism that the constant resort to TV replays has undermined umpires’ confidence, DRS supporters say the technology is rapidly improving.

While the other nine teams have been using DRS for years, the world’s number one Test side had resisted over doubts about its reliability, sparked by a frustrating trial run in 2008.

India’s master batsman Sachin Tendulkar was long rumoured to be at the forefront of the opposition in the dressing room and World Cup winning skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni was also a sceptic.

But opposition has faded since Tendulkar retired and Dhoni stepped down as Test skipper (he remains ODI captain).

India’s agreement to employ DRS for the five-Test series against England that begins this week came after an International Cricket Council (ICC) presentation last month on upgrades in technology.

Announcing the U-turn, the country’s cricket board president Anurag Thakur said India “recognise the enhanced role of technology in sport” and would deploy all the DRS tools in the England series.

DRS comprises three main elements: ball-tracking technology known as ‘Hawkeye’; a high-audio microphone known as ‘snicko’ which detects the sound of a ball grazing the bat or gloves; and ‘hotspot’ thermal imaging which can also determine where a ball makes contact.
Improved technology

ICC general manager Geoff Allardice said India’s change of heart stemmed from improvements which more accurately predict whether the ball would have gone on to hit the stumps after hitting a batsman’s pads.

“Our aim for a long time has been to make the DRS technology better with an end goal of getting it used more consistently in international cricket,” he said in a conference call from the ICC’s Dubai headquarters.

Allardice said India’s new coach Anil Kumble has been key to the change of heart after being a DRS proponent in his old position as chairman of the ICC cricket committee.

That the former spinner — who took a record 619 wickets for India — is a DRS fan is no surprise given the system is widely seen to have most benefited spinners.

Figures have shown the number of leg before wicket (LBW) decisions in favour of spinners has roughly doubled since DRS came into widespread usage in 2009.

Before, umpires could rarely be persuaded to raise their finger unless the ball was arrowed towards middle stump but batsmen now often have to walk after being hit on the pad by balls heading for off or leg.

Bishan Bedi, another legendary Indian spinner, is delighted India are finally using DRS.

“Better late than never,” he told AFP, saying India stood to benefit given the number of spinners they employ on their own turning tracks.

“It should be good for the spinners. It cannot humanly be possible to eradicate human error so the more we can reduce it, the better.”

But while India are now on board, debate about the pros and cons of DRS shows no signs of abating — particularly after 42 decisions were reviewed in last month’s Bangladesh-England series.

Constant scrutiny
Sri Lankan umpire Kumar Dharmasena had 16 decisions reviewed, eight of which were overturned by a colleague scrutinising the slow-motion replays.

The constant reviews drained some of the drama from a nail-biting series. It reached its nadir at the end of the first Test when England had to wait several minutes before their victory was confirmed.

Allardice acknowledged the number of reviews going against an umpire was a factor in deciding whether they remain on the elite panel which officiate in Tests, while insisting the ICC wouldn’t “jump to a conclusion on the basis of one single performance”.

India’s former international umpire Krishna Hariharan said it was important players continued to respect the umpires’ authority.

“If technology can assist in the betterment of cricket it is definitely welcome, but remember it is always in the hands of the on-field umpire,” said Hariharan who sits on India’s umpire assessment committee.

Some observers say DRS has also undermined a basic tenet of the game — accepting the rough with the smooth.

It appears that there will be no HotSpot for the first two tests because of issues pertaining to importing them from Australia's military?

Still, something is better than nothing.

Looks like DRS has got a bit of a workout already eh.

Back