India tour of Zimbabwe 2024

It was never official but there were many such cases

Like Venkatpathy Raju got selected bcoz of Azharuddin ( both were Hyderabad players)

A very dubious example was Noel David who was selected out of nowhere for 1997 West Indies tour - again bcoz of quota system

In 2001 Deep Dasgupta got selected - partly bcoz he belonged to Bengal & Ganguly was the captain

Sachin regularly selected bang average Mumbai players like Hrishikesh Kanitkar, Sameer Dighe and also his friend Vinod Kambli

Another famous instance was the Gavaskar - Kapil Dev feud which was partly bcoz of the regional aspects. Gavaskar belonged to Mumbai lobby while Kapil Dev & Bishen Bedi belonged to the North lobby.

ps : Saurav Ganguly when selected for 1996 England tour as unfairly characterized as quota player as Jagmohan Damliya was the then BCCI chief. He scored 2 centuries in that series & silenced all his doubters !

I remember Raju. He felt like a part-time spinner.

I also remember Deep Dasgupta. Flopped as an opener.

Didn't know Ganguly was a quota player. Good that he proved himself and became an established player. Only Bengal player to make a mark I believe.

150 kph scatter guns are worse than accurate trundlers at international level.

Unran was manhandled at the IPL and has been a scattergun in Domestic..international cricket is not a testing ground for domestic flops.

Umran played one match this IPL.

He was consistently backed by Kane Williamson when Williamson was skipper of srh.

He understood him and gave him middle overs and excellent field.

Umran bagged 22 wkts that season.

Once Williamson left and so did Moody Umran was asked to bowl in powerplay and his fields were different.

One member of srh team management before this year's IPL was interviewed and he clearly hinted that he doesn't want a 150 plus bowler but a run choker.

Right now Umran Malik is just India's version of Haris Rauf. The thing is India does not subscribe to the "pace is pace yaar" mindset - so Umran has to work on his craft before he merits a place in the Indian team. And rightly so.

This " he bowls 150 kph , so select him" is ridiculous theory

Agreed. Umran needs more domestic cricket. Sadly J and K team isn't the best place to grow.

Don't we have better bowlers in East Zone?
The quota system used to exist in the 90s but no more in Indian cricket

Mukesh was selected simply bcoz he is higher up in the pecking order than Harshit Rana & Vaibhav Arora who performed well only in this year' s IPL. Also Mukesh has better performances in domestic cricket. Harshit & Vaibhav have to wait for sometime before they get their chances. Its a process in place & should be adhered to in future

First of all there never was any official quota.

It was always the particular zone selector lobbying for a player from his zone.

Mukesh Kumar is a domestic cricket journeyman. Nothing else. But he gets selected because else there is no player from east zone and the east zone selector looks foolish.

Also East zone is led by a certain Sourav Ganguly. He has clout.

There is no first come first serve in national team selection. Everyone knows Mukesh Kumar is being picked to sooth the ego of east zone.

Tushar Deshpande is a Mumbai lobby pick. The chief selector and the captain of Indian team both are from Mumbai.

If Deshpande performs against Zimbabwe, they will try to push his name for the Indian team for few more matches.

This is all being done before GG takes charge because GG is likely to back players like Harshit Mayank etc.

Didn't know Ganguly was a quota player. Good that he proved himself and became an established player. Only Bengal player to make a mark I believe.

It was painted in the media that Ganguly is Dalmiya selection. When actually he was not. He had merits.

I see.

He never felt like a quota player. Was quite impactful from the beginning.
Ganguly had fall out with Vengasarkar in 92 tour of Australia. He was told to carry drinks and Ganguly did have some attitude about him. But he was a gun player and that attitude and aura helped him succeed and transform Indian cricket.
Then he came back to the team in 96.. Dalmia knew he was a more then capable player and after the Lords century on debut he never looked back.

Why are we discussing ganguly and dalmiya and players from 90s here?

Do we have nothing to talk about India's tour of Zimbabwe 2024???

Come on we need at least 2 weeks time to relish the victory and relax... Not just players, even fans do need some rest... This is burn out... All teams should get 2 weeks rest at least after every ICC tournament (I don't mind if we play immediately after IPL).

Come on we need at least 2 weeks time to relish the victory and relax... Not just players, even fans do need some rest... This is burn out... All teams should get 2 weeks rest at least after every ICC tournament (I don't mind if we play immediately after IPL).
Its to help Zim cricket and give international experience to our domestic rookies. It will be a good introduction to International Cricket for lot of Indian players.

nice squad , good to see some fresh names vs zimbabwe good for development of new players

had it been pak vs zimbabwe, babar would be the first name on the list followed by rizwan, shadab, iftikhar, shaheen

This is how you build a team.

Since 2010, India has made 5 tours to Zimbabwe.

They selected 5 different captains to these tours.

For 2010 tri series Suresh Raina was made captain with Virat being his deputy.
For 2013 tour, Kohli was the captain.
For 2015 tour, Ajinkya Rahane was the new captain.
For 2016 series, MS Dhoni who was on the end of career, made skipper with many new faces in the squad.
Lastly, for the 2022 series, Rahul was the captain with Dhawan being his deputy.

India have tried my youngsters on all these 5 tours. Although Zimbabwe beat India on multiple occasions, it was win n win situation for India 👍🏻

For 2016 series, MS Dhoni who was on the end of career, made skipper with many new faces in the squad.
Lastly, for the 2022 series, Rahul was the captain with Dhawan being his deputy.

India have tried my youngsters on all these 5 tours. Although Zimbabwe beat India on multiple occasions, it was win n win situation for India 👍🏻

Zimbabwe tour is a win-win for both sides.

Zimbabwe is getting to play a big team. Their board can get a financial boost.

India can try out youngsters.

I guess results don't matter much in this series.

I think this young India team should be touring Ireland, Scotland and Netherlands instead of Zimbabwe from now on.
Zim has fallen way behind.

India has lost a total of 2 T20 matches in these 5 series bhai ( A total of 21 games 19 wins and 2 losses). I think European tours would be more challenging for the youngsters.

Now that I think of it, the stars aligned and we are lucky to have Bumrah and Shami playing in the same era.
I do not see anybody half as talented as them in our pipeline and it is worrisome.

Now that I think of it, the stars aligned and we are lucky to have Bumrah and Shami playing in the same era.
I do not see anybody half as talented as them in our pipeline and it is worrisome.
For a young dude Arshdeep has done well. Pandya will be irreplaceable though. Fast bowling all rounder. He allowed us to play extra all rounder even if it is fake (Jadeja) It increaesd the batting depth. It indirectly contributed to positive batting from INdia most of the time.

Pandya will be irreplaceable though. Fast bowling all rounder. He allowed us to play extra all rounder even if it is fake (Jadeja) It increaesd the batting depth. It indirectly contributed to positive batting from INdia most of the time.

Now that he has won a World T20, nobody can argue against this statement. But Pandya has been doing this since starting in this format and what he did in this tournament was nothing extraordinary than what he was doing before. if India hadn't won, you would find posters like Bhaag Viru arguing against your statements irrespective of whether Pandya performed or not.

Who in there right mind would say gangly a quota selection? Are they crazy?
Ganguly was a quota selection because of Jagmohan Dalmiya taking Indian cricket out of the clutches of Mumbai Lobby.
Ganguly was arrogant from the start,
He was dropped immediately since he was perceived to be "arrogant" and his attitude towards the game was openly questioned. It was rumoured that Ganguly refused to carry drinks for his teammates, commenting that it was not his job to do so, later denied by him. Consequently, he was removed from the team.

Without Dalmiya's blessings his career would have easily gone Kambli's way.

Ganguly was a quota selection because of Jagmohan Dalmiya taking Indian cricket out of the clutches of Mumbai Lobby.
Ganguly was arrogant from the start,
He was dropped immediately since he was perceived to be "arrogant" and his attitude towards the game was openly questioned. It was rumoured that Ganguly refused to carry drinks for his teammates, commenting that it was not his job to do so, later denied by him. Consequently, he was removed from the team.

Without Dalmiya's blessings his career would have easily gone Kambli's way.
So you are saying ganguly played for India based on quota and not his merit?

So you are saying ganguly played for India based on quota and not his merit?
I am saying without Dalmiya's strong backing he would not have been given a chance again back into Indian team.
Attitude is also part merit as a team player.
What turned out later is for everyone of us to know. Ganguly is literally the father of aggressive Indian cricket but his entry needed strong political backing inside BCCI.

Cricinfo is speculating Ruturaj to slot in at 3. Unsure about that move.

Thankfully, all 3 of Abhishek, Parag and Rinku are likely to play.

I am saying without Dalmiya's strong backing he would not have been given a chance again back into Indian team.
What turned out later is for everyone of us to know. Ganguly is literally the father of aggressive Indian cricket but his entry needed strong political backing inside BCCI.
You can back a player who is good. Quota players are like who are not that good but still playing based on ethnicity and other factors.

Ganguly definitely got backing of Dalmiya.. otherwise he wouldn’t have survived for long

You can back a player who is good. Quota players are like who are not that good but still playing based on ethnicity and other factors.
That's your narrow definition bhai, Kambli was far far far more gifted than Ganguly. But his attitude ended his career. Compared to Kambli one could easily call Ganguly a quota intake.

Cricinfo is speculating Ruturaj to slot in at 3. Unsure about that move.

Thankfully, all 3 of Abhishek, Parag and Rinku are likely to play.
I don't know how they will like that tuk uk player .He Is selfish to the core and happy to stat pad all the time

That's your narrow definition bhai, Kambli was far far far more gifted than Ganguly. But his attitude ended his career. Compared to Kambli one could easily call Ganguly a quota intake.
Harsha bhogle said kambli was never the same after Walsh bounced him out in the wi test series.Even if u see in 96 wc, he was huffing against ambrose bouncers and no clue to play against Damien Fleming swing in mumbai

Kambli's AVG really hurt me. Guy was thrown out with a 50+ AVG. India should have waited untill he got under 50 lol

I believe some considered Kambli to be even better than Tendulkar. Is that right?

This is how utilize a tour to Zimbabwe. Rather than using it as a way for your big players to statpad and build up meaningless records and numbers.

If Pakistan send a full-strength team to Zimbabwe later this year, I will lose it. No first team player should be playing on that tour.

There is nothing to be gained from a tour to Zimbabwe besides using it as a way for your emerging players to get some international exposure. If you win, people will say you beat minnows. If you lose, people will say you lost to minnows! I am not in any way saying though that teams shouldn't tour Zimbabwe.

There is nothing to be gained from a tour to Zimbabwe besides using it as a way for your emerging players to get some international exposure. If you win, people will say you beat minnows. If you lose, people will say you lost to minnows! I am not in any way saying though that teams shouldn't tour Zimbabwe.
They should rather tour the likes of Ireland Scotland and Netherlands. Have a Tri-series kind of thing in almost English conditions. Good trial for youngsters. Zimbabwe has fallen way behind.

India is always much better as a strategist. They are making their bench strength strong.

Dravids replica is there
Totally agreed.

just another useless coach, we need someone who is technically astute as far as modern game is concerned in terms of devising strategies and imparting the same on the field via captain (someone like SA’s Rob Walter is my personal favt but I doubt our board will ever give chance to such a coach).

IMHO, National greats of past is not going to cut it. From what we have heard so far from our media, Gauti in all likelihood is going to be our next coach. Not a great fan of him but I hope he will be an upgrade over stubborn (at times what appeared as blatant favouritism for certain players) and archaic coaching approach of Dravid.

India set for post Rohit-Kohli era in T20Is as Shubman Gill confirms openers for Zimbabwe series

Shubman Gill, India's skipper for the tour of Zimbabwe, has declared the new opening pair for the team ahead of the first T20I on Saturday.

Days after India's T20 World Cup 2024 triumph, a very different-looking side will play Zimbabwe in a five-match T20I series in Harare starting Saturday.

Led by Shubman Gill, the squad features only three players - Sanju Samson, Shivam Dube and Yashasvi Jaiswal - from the main squad that played the T20 World Cup. The three players won't be available for the first two T20Is of the series.

Rinku Singh and Khaleel Ahmed, who were part of the reserve group of players in Caribbean and the USA, will also play the series.

On the eve of the series, Gill confirmed that he would open the batting alongside Abhishek Sharma, who is set to make his India debut after a stellar performance in the IPL.

“Abhishek Sharma will open with me and Ruturaj Gaikwad will bat at No.3," Gill stated in the pre-match press conference.

“It's quite a different team from the one that played in the [T20] World Cup.

“There are a lot of young players in the team, including myself. So I think in terms of that, we just want to give the players experience and how the international, what it is like to play at the international level because a lot of the players haven't played that many matches and some of the players haven't even made their debut.

“So I think that is our aim for the series, to give them more international exposure and experience."

The series will make Gill’s captaincy debut for India. He has previously led the Gujarat Titans franchise in the IPL.

ICC

They should rather tour the likes of Ireland Scotland and Netherlands. Have a Tri-series kind of thing in almost English conditions. Good trial for youngsters. Zimbabwe has fallen way behind.
Yeah that is actually the best use for bilaterals. Associates don't get many matches against bigger teams as it is. And bigger teams can use these matches to provide young players with some much needed international exposure. The gap between the teams wouldn't be as much either so higher likability of competitive matches.

Totally agreed.

just another useless coach, we need someone who is technically astute
After t20 wc in 2022, Ind tour of nz for t20s happened .In that series Laxman was giving chances to Bhuvi on the pretext of seniority. Everyone knows bhuvi played his last match after Adelaide drubbing.Bcci and coaches never disappoints us.Hopefully gambhir may be more sensible

Surprised not a single post here despite Zimbabwe's win yesterday. Incredible character shown by the Zimbabweans to pull off that win defending only 115.

Inclusion of several youngsters like Bennett, Campbell, Myers, Madande has so far worked out well for Zim and even in the last series against Bangladesh,the youngsters stood out. Add to that Naqvi is yet to make his debut. Very happy for Zimbabwe team.

Surprised not a single post here despite Zimbabwe's win yesterday. Incredible character shown by the Zimbabweans to pull off that win defending only 115.

Inclusion of several youngsters like Bennett, Campbell, Myers, Madande has so far worked out well for Zim and even in the last series against Bangladesh,the youngsters stood out. Add to that Naqvi is yet to make his debut. Very happy for Zimbabwe team.

All posts were made in the game 1 match thread probably.

Raju wasn't a world beater but did a decent job alongside Kumble before the emergence of Bhajji, played 20 odd tests and IND didn't lose a single one IIRC.
Deep Dasgupta on the other hand should never had come anywhere close to Intl Cricket.

Sportstar report in 1996 alluded to the arrogance story as apocryphal or a rumour than a fact.

But yes, by all available accounts, he wasnt a meritorious selection for the Eng tour. In thr just preceding Ranji Trophy he had just one score over 50., a 65. His dad was a top figure in Bengal Cricket Association and obviously that connection with Dalmiya helped him.

Also he was rather lucky to escape a debut at Edgbastion in the first test. It's funny because Sunil Joshi was preferred over him and was played as a specialist batter in that first test which India lost.

nice squad , good to see some fresh names vs zimbabwe good for development of new players

had it been pak vs zimbabwe, babar would be the first name on the list followed by rizwan, shadab, iftikhar, shaheen
Choice of players in the Bowling attack (pacers) is pretty poor, TBH. Mukhesh, Avesh and Khaleel just aren’t international material, imho.

I (many Indian cricket followers too) strongly believe we have much better prospects to try out than the ones who got selected for this tour.

Back