Is AB de Villiers the best Test/ODI batsman in the world currently?

alexjohn_tcr

Tape Ball Captain
Runs
From what I have seen,he is best batsman in the world currently.Tendulkar/Ponting/ Kallis/ are going downhill and Sangakkara may have another 2-3 years.There is no other proven batsman in the horizon who can pose a challenge to him

I am not getting into stats ,as I know there may be some other batsmen with better records.

Some of the shots that he play are simply out of the world.He is capable of changing his game very quickly.He has got excellent defensive technique and his big hitting skills second to none.One of the fittest cricketers around,he is a complete package

Hmm, out of the current players only Hashim Amla and Jonathan Trott average 50+ in both ODI's and Test cricket.

Test match wise, quite a few are better than him at the moment.

ODI wise there are also a few better than him.

Put them altogether, ODI and Test, and he's at the top, but not the very best.

i think its a 2 man race between Devilliers and Amla.

Cook, Clarke and Tendulkar for tests

AB's got a shot for ODIs

A brilliant player and an intelligent guy, could get up there in tests too. I remember his ruthless hundred at Headingley.

Boring has nothing to do with how good someone is ;-)

Well then, if Amla is boring, have you seen Dravid, Trott, Cook bat?

Compared to them, Amla is like Emma Watson at the crease batting in just a bikini.

Amla lacks flair.I dont see him as a future legend.He is too boring a batsman

You cannot be serious? He is probably the easiest on the eye, I don't think I've seen him play one ugly stroke. Watch his 2 sixes in the last ODI he played against Sri Lanka. Simply magnificient. One was a cover drive for six and the other was a Anwaresque flick for six. Pure timing.

He also has an ODI strike rate of close to 90 so I don't get how some one can call him boring. I don't think you've watched him recently.

EDIT: Amla's ODI SR is 92

Last edited:

I beg to disagree, wonderful player to watch. I prefer his batting to ABD's :amla

Back to the topic, i'd partly agree. He's definitely one of the best players going around these days along with Cook and his own team mate Hashim Amla. Brilliant Cricketer really.

I beg to disagree, wonderful player to watch. I prefer his batting to ABD's :amla

Back to the topic, i'd partly agree. He's definitely one of the best players going around these days along with Cook and his own team mate Hashim Amla. Brilliant Cricketer really.

Post more, sir :)

On topic, I think AB is definitely one of the most complete batsman. Him and Amla are extremely important to South Africa's success in both formats. I think its very very close between him and Amla. They both compliment each other even though they are different types of batsmen.

Best test is Trott, best ODI is Amla. Likely to stay that way for a couple of years.

AB could take over from Amla. As for tests, the guys that might pass him in my opinion are AB de Villiers and Bell.

Cook's doing good, but I don't think he has the all round game to become the best. Bell has shown a lack of temperament, but that seems to be improving with time and at the moment he's doing very well. Still have a feeling he won't do justice to his potential, but he definitely has the potential to become the no.1 test batsman in the world.

Statistical Analysis between ABD and Amla:

Tests:

Amla averages 47 and ABD 49.5. Strike rates are 50 and 54 respectively, not that they really matter in Test cricket.

100's: Amla has 14 AB has 13. However Amla has made 14 hundreds in 98 innings whereas ABD has in 120 innings. Amla scores a 100 every 7 innings and ABD scores a 100 every 9.23 innings.

ODIs:

Amla averages 56 with a SR of 92, ABD averages 47.5 with a SR of 93

100's: Amla has 9 in 53 innings, ABD has 12 in 120 innings.

Amla scores over 50 every 2.12 innings whereas ABD scores over 50 every 3.00 innings.

Very little seperates them when it comes to statistical analysis. I personally prefer Amla's fluent, beautiful and timing based game.

Last edited:
Also based on recent form (last two years). Recent form is important because the discussion is who is the CURRENT best.

ABD in ODI's 31 matches 31 innings 1760 runs 73.33 avg 106.53SR 8 100's 8 50's

ABD in Tests 15 matches 24 innings 1405 runs 78.05avg 4 100's

Amla in Tests 15 matches 26 innings 1504 runs 65.39 avg 7 100's

Amla in ODIs 32 matches 32innings 1857 runs 61.90avg 96.76SR 8 100's 10 50's

ABD has amazing averages because of the not outs he gets whereas Amla is a top 3 batsman. They both have awesome stats.

From what I have seen,he is best batsman in the world currently.Tendulkar/Ponting/ Kallis/ are going downhill and Sangakkara may have another 2-3 years.There is no other proven batsman in the horizon who can pose a challenge to him

I am not getting into stats ,as I know there may be some other batsmen with better records.

Some of the shots that he play are simply out of the world.He is capable of changing his game very quickly.He has got excellent defensive technique and his big hitting skills second to none.One of the fittest cricketers around,he is a complete package

maybe he is ini yor book, not mine, playing amazing shots is one thing, being a match-winner is another, its nto a circus, where we are comparing who is paying amazing shots.

Hmm, out of the current players only Hashim Amla and Jonathan Trott average 50+ in both ODI's and Test cricket.

Test match wise, quite a few are better than him at the moment.

ODI wise there are also a few better than him.

Put them altogether, ODI and Test, and he's at the top, but not the very best.

You got it all wrong, it's hussey and trott not amla. Hussey is far better than trott in odi's while trott edges out hussey in tests. De villiers is the best odi batsman in the world along with Amla

Last edited:
Kallis is the best in test at the moment. His loss of form lasted only two matches, and then he came back with a double hundred.

Take a look at the stats for the past 3 years:
Code:
Career averages 	Span 	Mat 	Runs 	HS 	Bat Av 	100 	Wkts 	BBI 	Bowl Av 5 	Ct 	 	
unfiltered 	1995-2012 	150 	12260 	224 	57.02 	41 	274 	6/54 	32.51 	5 	180 	0 	
filtered 	2009-2012 	22 	2272 	224 	71.00 	11 	22 	3/22 	48.45 	0 	41 	0 	
Career summary 
Grouping 	Span 	          Mat 	Runs 	HS 	Bat Av 	100 	Wkts 	BBI 	Bowl Av 5 	Ct 	 	
v Australia 	2009-2011 	5 	347 	102 	43.37 	1 	7 	3/22 	42.57 	0 	11 	0 	
v England 	2009-2010 	4 	363 	120 	51.85 	2 	2 	1/27 	71.50 	0 	5 	0 	
v India 	2010-2011 	5 	701 	201* 	116.83 	4 	4 	1/19 	49.25 	0 	8 	0 	
v Pakistan 	2010-2010 	2 	323 	135* 	107.66 	2 	1 	1/77 	116.00 	0 	2 	0 	
v Sri Lanka 	2011-2012 	3 	255 	224 	63.75 	1 	3 	3/35 	48.66 	0 	11 	0 	
v West Indies 	2010-2010 	3 	283 	110 	70.75 	1 	5 	2/36 	33.20 	0 	4 	0
Nobody mentioned in this thread has done better. De Villiers comes close (avg 70), but "failed" against England and India. Trott has failed against SA and India, and averages 15 less than Kallis. Amla is on par with Trott. Hussey averages 45, hardly worth a mention when discussing current form.

Kallis' lowest average is 43 against Aus, his next lowest is 52 against England. Everything else is over 60, and over 100 against India and Pakistan.

Last edited:
Kallis is the best in test at the moment. His loss of form lasted only two matches, and then he came back with a double hundred.

Take a look at the stats for the past 3 years:
Code:
Career averages 	Span 	Mat 	Runs 	HS 	Bat Av 	100 	Wkts 	BBI 	Bowl Av 5 	Ct 	 	
unfiltered 	1995-2012 	150 	12260 	224 	57.02 	41 	274 	6/54 	32.51 	5 	180 	0 	
filtered 	2009-2012 	22 	2272 	224 	71.00 	11 	22 	3/22 	48.45 	0 	41 	0 	
Career summary 
Grouping 	Span 	          Mat 	Runs 	HS 	Bat Av 	100 	Wkts 	BBI 	Bowl Av 5 	Ct 	 	
v Australia 	2009-2011 	5 	347 	102 	43.37 	1 	7 	3/22 	42.57 	0 	11 	0 	
v England 	2009-2010 	4 	363 	120 	51.85 	2 	2 	1/27 	71.50 	0 	5 	0 	
v India 	2010-2011 	5 	701 	201* 	116.83 	4 	4 	1/19 	49.25 	0 	8 	0 	
v Pakistan 	2010-2010 	2 	323 	135* 	107.66 	2 	1 	1/77 	116.00 	0 	2 	0 	
v Sri Lanka 	2011-2012 	3 	255 	224 	63.75 	1 	3 	3/35 	48.66 	0 	11 	0 	
v West Indies 	2010-2010 	3 	283 	110 	70.75 	1 	5 	2/36 	33.20 	0 	4 	0
Nobody mentioned in this thread has done better. De Villiers comes close (avg 70), but "failed" against England and India. Trott has failed against SA and India, and averages 15 less than Kallis. Amla is on par with Trott. Hussey averages 45, hardly worth a mention when discussing current form.

Kallis' lowest average is 43 against Aus, his next lowest is 52 against England. Everything else is over 60, and over 100 against India and Pakistan.

Kallis is easily a better test batsman than trott, De villiers and Amla are better odi batsman than trott, trott's strike right is way too low for this era.

Come again??

Amla is simply awesome!! I'm going out of my way to watch this guy, since Lara I don't think there has been such a thrilling batsman to watch!

He is no1 and thats for a good reason, he normally lays the platform for devilliers to launch.

Trott's a bit better than Amla in tests, IMO. The Lord's 180 out of a team 400, against Amir, Asif and Ajmal, was a truly outstanding innings.

Today's best all-round batsman for me is - independent from statistics, even if they don't dishonour him I guess - Mike Hussey, and even in South Africa I'd take Hashim Amla over AB de Villiers.

yer, Mike Hussey is a pretty good one for all formats.

KP's not bad for tests and great for T20s, despite the brainfarts.

Trott's a bit better than Amla in tests, IMO. The Lord's 180 out of a team 400, against Amir, Asif and Ajmal, was a truly outstanding innings.

This is a fair comment. Who would you say is the better batsman over both formats though?

That's a mean question...haha.

Both from Springbok land anyway, so it doesn't matter :p

LOLWUT Amla is boring???

Guy has a 90+ S/R in ODI's @ 57 average!!!!

and good S/R and avg. in Tests too......:amla

NOt to mention, he has a PP smilie too :D :amla

maybe but trott isn't even your best test batsman

LOLWUT Amla is boring???

Guy has a 90+ S/R in ODI's @ 57 average!!!!

and good S/R and avg. in Tests too......:amla

NOt to mention, he has a PP smilie too :D :amla

Amla is definitely boring if you are under 14 years old or if you are American :yk

That's a mean question...haha.

Both from Springbok land anyway, so it doesn't matter :p

It was a genuine question!

I just checked and since J Trott made his Test debut Amla edges him out with a 60 average and 8 hundreds. woohoo :sami

He is the not even the best wicket keeper batsman cuz thats Sangakara! So no hes not the best Test/odi batsman at the moment but I rate him pretty high!

Trott in tests, by a lil bit.

Trott is a decent ODI player. He usually scores, sometimes quickly enough for us to win, sometimes not. Amla way better than even him in this format though.

Trott has just 2000 test runs.....let him reach atleast 5000 then judge........

Cook, Trott, KP, Prior, Bell for me. In that order.

I'm really harsh to our Ian aren't I...

kp>> trott> cook for me, kp has proven himself more than those two to be honest. I am not yet convinced about cook being your best test batsman.

I kind of agree with this. AB comes in and most of the time takes the attack to the opposition. He has all the shots in the book and uses some briliant footwork to find the gaps.

kp>> trott> cook for me, kp has proven himself more than those two to be honest. I am not yet convinced about cook being your best test batsman.

KP 2005-2008 is one of the best batsmen England have had, ever. 09-10 he was rubbish, since Adelaide he has gradually become world-class again, but understated at the same time.

I agree, on anything near top form, one of the world's best players, but he rarely reaches those heights now.

Cook's record is just silly, particularly for an opener. Averages 54 away.

Has to be Amla at the moment.

Though De Villiers is definitely up there in the competition.

Cook, Clarke and Tendulkar for tests

AB's got a shot for ODIs

A brilliant player and an intelligent guy, could get up there in tests too. I remember his ruthless hundred at Headingley.

How is clark and cook are best test players? ok i understand you beign you will bring england team and or players in every thread, but clarke? he started doing well for last 2 tests series. and cook take out last ashes series he's been just above avg batsman for last two years. AB can play ne where in the world unlike cook.

Cook has an away average of 54 and one of the best records for an opener ever, he has scored test hundreds in every country except NZ. You lose.

Cook has an away average of 54 and one of the best records for an opener ever, he has scored test hundreds in every country except NZ. You lose.

Good record, but not exceptional. He's done well in Australia, but his only other 50+ averages have come in Bangladesh and WI. If you exclude Bangladesh then his away average drops 5 points to exactly the same as his career average. 49 is still not bad mind you, especially for an opener.

49 not bad?! it's outstanding for an opener. give him some credit. just cos he makes your eyes bleed..... (mine too)

Cook is one of the best openers in recent times, Graeme smith is better though

49 not bad?! it's outstanding for an opener. give him some credit. just cos he makes your eyes bleed..... (mine too)

It's great for an opener! But for the purposes of this thread he doesn't fit the criteria. IMO it's Kallis for tests, Amla for ODIs and AB for both (and I'm not just saying that cos they're from SA :p). Their recent records in the past 2-3 years and their batting rankings confirm that.

It's great for an opener! But for the purposes of this thread he doesn't fit the criteria. IMO it's Kallis for tests, Amla for ODIs and AB for both (and I'm not just saying that cos they're from SA :p). Their recent records in the past 2-3 years and their batting rankings confirm that.

South Africa would easily have the best batting lineup in the world if they had a good opening partner for Smith and a better number 6 than prince.

lol I think he is :D

Then again, maybe not, since England have a lot to thank SA for :p

Hashim Amla is the best batsman in the world currently.

ABD is probably the most improved batsman since Watson.

South Africa would easily have the best batting lineup in the world if they had a good opening partner for Smith and a better number 6 than prince.

exactly. Trott and KP :))

Wat...are u sure?

Certainly one of the most talented players out there, easy on eyes and fun to watch. One of the players i'd love to watch. Best ODI player? thats debatable though!

One of the best ..... that is better assumption.

You see he is in good nick ... once he gets into bad form ... these same people will be shouting at him.

9 hundreds in little over 50 innings is a freakish record from Amla, keep it going bro :bow:

Amla & Clarke are good bat no doubt.But there is something special about AB.That is what sets him apart.

The ability to play in multiple gears and the ability to adapt to different situations better than most.

AB DV is very pleasing to watch and has got very quick hands. :19:

Kallis is still better than any of his team mates. And you can't seriously rope in a batsman who just got over the 2000-run line.

sigh...another world class player that asif made look like a novice......has a few bowled against him leaving the ball

AB de Villiers all set to return in a brand new sport, will team up with former tennis world no 1 Ash Barty

AB de Villiers will be representing Rest of the World team against Team USA led by Fred Couples in the inaugural Icons Series golf event in Jersey City from June 30 to July 1.

_2f3a8e4e-cb43-11ea-9e0e-a2b226992cea_1651576098511.jpg

Star South Africa cricketer AB de Villiers, who announced complete retirement from the sport last year, will soon return to action but this time with a golf stick. The 38-year-old will be representing Rest of the World team against Team USA led by Fred Couples in the inaugural Icons Series golf event in Jersey City from June 30 to July 1.

He will be joined by former world no 1 and three-time Grand Slam winner Ash Barty. Meanwhile, swimming legend Michael Phelps and boxing great Oscar de la Hoya are among the other stars who will be seen playing for Team USA in the event.

Both the athletes, who at one point have been at the top of their respective disciplines, share contrasting careers. The ex-Proteas play went to play for well over a decade, before calling it quit from internationals in 2018 and entirely from the sport last year.

Barty, on the other hand, did it when she was ranked one and was just a-month old after winning the Australian Open 2022.

Sharing his thoughts on her retirement, which came at the least expected moment, De Villiers called it as "a weird one to explain".

"I think the best answer is that every person has their own way of manoeuvring through their career, some as long as possible.

"The whole world respects her decision. I would like to think stepping away can be a relief but it is an incredible age to retire at," the ex-cricketer told AFP in an interview.

When asked about his views on his decision to hang his boots from cricket, the 38-year-old said he feels relieved and no regrets.

"I feel relief sitting here," he said.

"I am feeling quite happy I made the right decision even if I miss the game and will be forever grateful to the sport.

"But similar to Ash there is a peace of mind where I am at.

"I am really happy to look back on my career with fond memories.

"There are no regrets. Yes, I made mistakes but no regrets."

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...world-no-1-ash-barty-101651574428626-amp.html

One of the best of all-time.

Year end test ranking :-

2021- Marnus Labuschgane
2020 - Kane Williamson
2019, 2018- Virat Kohli
2017,2016,2015 - Steve Smith
2014,2013- AB de Villiers

Year end ODI ranking :

2021- Babar Azam
2020,19,18,17 - Virat Kohli
2016,15,14,13- AB de Villiers

One of the best of all-time.

Year end test ranking :-

2021- Marnus Labuschgane
2020 - Kane Williamson
2019, 2018- Virat Kohli
2017,2016,2015 - Steve Smith
2014,2013- AB de Villiers

Year end ODI ranking :

2021- Babar Azam
2020,19,18,17 - Virat Kohli
2016,15,14,13- AB de Villiers

I don't think these rankings are very accurate.

For example, T20I ranking was showing Dawid Malan was #1 batter. Do you really think he was #1 at any point?

These rankings don't take contexts into accounts.

I don't think these rankings are very accurate.

For example, T20I ranking was showing Dawid Malan was #1 batter. Do you really think he was #1 at any point?

These rankings don't take contexts into accounts.

In Tests and ODIs, they are generally accurate because players generally don't skip matches there and mostly teams don't rest their main bowlers in tests either. So, unless the said player is a home track bully, the rankings are very accurate. AB averages better away from home than at home so in his case I would say it is completely accurate.

In T20Is, these rankings aren't accurate because they prioritise stats padders over those who score at high strike rate. Buttler ranking at 17, for example, in T20Is is an absolute joke because currently he is one of the best t20 batters in the world.

In Tests and ODIs, they are generally accurate because players generally don't skip matches there and mostly teams don't rest their main bowlers in tests either. So, unless the said player is a home track bully, the rankings are very accurate. AB averages better away from home than at home so in his case I would say it is completely accurate.

In T20Is, these rankings aren't accurate because they prioritise stats padders over those who score at high strike rate. Buttler ranking at 17, for example, in T20Is is an absolute joke because currently he is one of the best t20 batters in the world.

I think ODI rankings are faulty too.

Only Test rankings are accurate because teams take it more seriously. They don't normally experiment in this format.

Back