Is Day/Night Test cricket a good idea?

Is Day/Night Test cricket a good idea?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
As the title suggests, what are your thoughts on the introduction of Day/Night Test cricket?

Very difficult to say at the moment I have some mix feelings about the Day/Night test match, I've voted for I'm note sure yet.

Disappointing with the crowd numbers would have expected more especially this was Pakistan 400th test match. If this would have been played in Pakistan or elsewhere we would have seen more spectators. The timing was good for almost all the continents, EU/US/Asia.

Interesting to see that Pakistan made almost 600 runs and couple day later they have just manage to score 123 runs, I am not sure if this is related to the pink ball or just typical Pakistani batting collapse.

I think the idea is a good one in some parts of the world. What needs to be done is to look at the ball technology, the dew factor etc.

At the moment it seems to be guesswork as to whether it's a good idea or not.

I think the idea is a good one in some parts of the world. What needs to be done is to look at the ball technology, the dew factor etc.

At the moment it seems to be guesswork as to whether it's a good idea or not.

I am not sure!

What I do want is for ICC to sort out the ball and also there seems to be no hurry with over-rates. Simply because there are lights so bad light cannot stop play!

Too early to say anything.

We need to have these kind of games in all over the world – under different conditions and then we could be able to say anything with certainty.

At present, sample data is too short.

2 Matches only at this time and both of them was out predicted.

Somehow we want original cricket to remain intact. on the other side cricket is moving at a fast speed.

But a great fan of old fashioned cricket.

The pink ball issues needs to be seriously resolved as personally its not helping the bowlers in any sense compared to the red ball. The Aussie and Kiwis match did finish in 3 days with a pink ball but that was more to do with the pitch then the actual ball be used in the match. In some conditions D/N games will work and some places it wont sadly.

Day-Night Test in Adelaide a Resounding Success

Third ever day-night Test drives strong attendance and ratings

Day-night Test cricket’s return to Adelaide Oval for a second year has been an enormous success, with fans flocking to the match and millions more around the country tuning in to watch the pink ball action of the Commonwealth Bank Day-Night Test between Australia and South Africa.

125,993 people attended the four days of the Test, setting a new record for non-Ashes attendance at the Adelaide Oval and surpassing the 123,736 attendance set at the Commonwealth Bank Adelaide Test last year.

TV ratings were also strong, with an average of 1.827 million viewers nationally tuning in for the final session of the match, peaking at 2.124 million. Ratings across the match demonstrated the huge appetite for day-night Test cricket, with viewership achieving an average well over one million for the vast majority of the match.

More than two million users also accessed Cricket Australia’s digital platforms over the course of the Test, with 11 million minutes live streamed across the four days.

Cricket Australia’s CEO, James Sutherland, said the strong attendance, engagement figures and season's best TV ratings demonstrated the enthusiasm Australian fans have shown for the day-night Test format.

“It was fantastic to see the great crowds at Adelaide Oval and the many other fans around the country, and internationally, tuning in across the day-night Test in Adelaide. It has surpassed the success of the first day-night fixture last year and further demonstrated the potential of the format to reinvigorate Test cricket both here and around the world.

“The scheduling of day-night Tests has been driven by a desire to make Test cricket more accessible, so it is wonderful to see the format resonate with so many of our fans.

“I am sure that many of our Brisbane fans are now even more excited about the upcoming day-night Test against Pakistan at the Gabba next month and we will certainly explore the opportunity to host further day-night Tests in future seasons.”

Australian fans will get another taste of day-night Test cricket this summer when Australia takes on Pakistan in the Commonwealth Bank Day-Night Test in Brisbane from 15 December. Tickets are available from $30 for adults, $10 for kids, and $65 for a family, while Twilight Tickets that give access for the last two sessions of the day are available from $20.

Back