Is it coming home? England's long wait for titles continues...

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Point to ponder for England fans who go through this journey of hope/humiliation every 4 years.

==

And … clear. Stage one completed. With the announcement of Gareth Southgate’s 26-man England World Cup squad safely despatched the early signs are, it has to be said, pretty good. Potential hazards appear to have been glossed or co-opted. The situation is calm. When it comes to negotiating the fraught pre-tournament void, a cursed earth of brain-shouts and rage-swirls and curdled hope, this is probably about as good as it gets.

It is one of the many roles of any modern England coach to manage also the expected rage of these occasions, to come on like an embattled community support officer policing some lawlessly enraged Friday night city centre, a place where we are at any point just one misstep from “a situation”, a pile-on.

Southgate’s job with his selection for Qatar is of course to pick his most balanced group. The enlarged 26-man squad, plus a helpful nudge from form and injuries, have pretty much done the job for him in that regard. These are his best players. The popular favourites are all included, the absence of Reece James defusing a potential Trent-bomb. The poor form of those who have been tried and found wanting – Jadon Sancho most noticeably – means James Maddison becomes an obvious feelgood pick, but also a sensible one.

And in this Southgate has lucked out to some degree. Facing down the external noises, curating the vibe, is an increasingly significant part of this process. The happy-ship energy, and a reconnection with the wider support was a key tonal point in that surprise run to the semi-finals in 2018.

He may just have done it again here. This is not to say that England have an obvious champion squad. But it is the best squad Southgate could have picked, one that on the face of it offers no space to carp or rage at talent squandered, favouritism applied.

There will be plenty of opportunities from here to introduce further notes of jeopardy, and indeed some actual in-game coaching to be done. But by picking this group with a keen eye to form, accrued loyalty and also promise in the case of Conor Gallagher and others, Southgate has effectively negotiated ground zero.

There will still be some bold attempts made to find fault. In the immediate fallout from the announcement there was a vague thrumming up through the gears for a where-is-Ivan-Toney bandwagon. One popular sport radio station, clearly disarmed in its planning by the inclusion of Maddison, switched expertly to the line that Southgate had only included him to head off the backlash. Positions are generally set on England’s manager, and unshakeably so. One anti-Gareth poster on the Guardian website recently referred to him, damningly, as “a woke dinosaur”, a masterful, all-things-to-all-men checkmate that, if it can be said to actually exist, basically leaves him with nowhere to go.

In reality there is only one question worth asking about this squad. Are they actually any good on the wider stage? At which point the wind chimes tinkle, the screen dissolves and it becomes necessary to take a dive back into the recent past, and the real jumping-off point for this group of England players.

It is almost exactly 12 years to the day since the Football Association launched The Future Game, its much-fanfared regeneration project. Given the key FA heavy hitters at the launch of this paradigm-shift were Fabio Capello, Sam Allardyce and Stuart Pearce – the future of football, right there – it has been easy to let the whole thing blur into all the other failed new dawns.

But it is a point in time that speaks to this Southgate squad. The other significant note from that era was Greg Dyke’s statement that England would set a target of winning the 2022 Qatar World Cup with this current crop of Future Game princelings, a prediction taken so literally that the FA installed an actual doomsday clock at St George’s Park counting down to that distant golden future, or as we call it now, next Sunday.

Both the clock and that target were quietly removed by the next Greg in the building, Greg Clarke. But what followed was a roll call of commissions and reports and hopeful suggestions, from pre-Brexit quotas on overseas players to glossy manuals and top-down coaching buzzwords.

And so here we are, at that promised threshold. Are Gareth’s unarguable 26 really more technical, more tactically aware, more Iberian, more obviously champs-in-waiting, as the Future Game review promised?

The answer is probably yes; although this has more to do with the uplift in coaching standards in the Premier League. Very good but not quite elite is probably the fairest verdict. Thirteen of the 26 are current Champions League players. Only 12 have won a major trophy. None are genuine world stars. But it is still the strongest squad England have had since 2006.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-england-squad-to-recapture-happy-ship-energy

Last edited by a moderator:
A bold claim? Lloyd’s tips England for World Cup based on ‘insurable value’
Lloyd’s of London backs England to beat Brazil in 2022 final
Forecasting model correctly predicted 2014 and 2018 winners

England have been tipped to win the World Cup by a forecasting model that successfully predicted France would win in 2018 and Germany in 2014.

According to Lloyd’s of London, which has made its prediction based on the “insurable value” of all 32 teams in Qatar, Gareth Southgate’s men will emerge triumphant over Brazil in the final, after topping Group B and then beating Senegal, France and Spain en route.

Marcus Rashford (right) and Ben White in England training.
Marcus Rashford and Ben White poised for England World Cup call-ups
Read more
Underpinning Lloyd’s model is the notion that salaries in elite football are a decent proxy for talent – and therefore the quality of every squad can be calculated by assessing factors that include wages, endorsement incomes and players’ ages.

The research, backed by data and analysis by the Centre of Economics and Business Research and Sporting Intelligence, found that England’s squad in Qatar will have an estimated insurable value of £3.17bn, ahead of France (£2.66bn) and Brazil (£2.56bn). It also found that the average insurable value of one England or France player is more than the entire Costa Rica squad.

England are the 8-1 fourth favourites with bookmakers, behind Brazil, Argentina and France. However, the same model correctly predicted that Germany, who were 11-2 third favourites, would triumph in 2014 and picked out France, who were 7-1 fourth favourites and ranked seventh in Fifa’s rankings, before their victory in Russia four years later.

In both cases, the model highlighted that they had relatively young squads and an abundance of talent in Europe’s top leagues. In 2018, it also rated England as the third best team, when they were placed only 12th in the Fifa rankings

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ngland-for-world-cup-based-on-insurable-value

I think they'll be right. My prediction is Spain but this team especially with Maddison going, will be hard to stop in good form. Bellingham, Maddison, Rice. Arguably the best midfield where it's often won.

Not this time, they missed out on a huge opportunity in the Euros, I don’t see England making the semis either

Round of 16 or Quarter final Elimination. South Americans are way to strong with France, Belgium, Nederlands, spain, Germany also better equipped than England. The glaring England weakness is a championship standard defence.

Better manager probably could take them the distance. With YES man southgate quarter finals will be overachievement level.

They overachieved at the last world cup due to easy draw. They also overachieved at the Euros, thanks to easy draw and home advantage. Having said that, if they had a better manager, they would have won Euros 2020 and reached the finals of the 2018 World Cup, at a bare minimum.

Fraudgate is a terrible manager. Awful negative tactics, boring football and picks underperforming rubbish players like Maguire, while leaving out good performing players like Tamori. I predict a quarter final finish at best, but if won’t surprised, given Fraudgate’s luck, if England get a soft draw again and they reach the SFs or finals.

Southgate bottled it in the Euros final. Tried to sit back on a one goal lead.

Why is the England manager always culpable. Southgate has achieved wonders with quality players he has at his disposal. Fact is England players are seriously overrated.

England football is tragedy. After years of having mediocre, overrated teams, they finally have a generation of players that can go the distance.

It can be argued that England currently possess more talent, flair and skill than any England generation since 1966, but unfortunately, they currently have a manager who is out of his depth and incapable of rubbing shoulders with the best in the business.

If England had someone like Pep, Klopp, Conte, Arteta, Ancelotti at the helm, they would have had a very strong chance of winning the World Cup.

England’s only hope is some good fortune and individual brilliance because Southgate’s tactics and mindset would ensure that they fall short.

Easiest group in the World Cup.

I was hearing that if results go to plan then they'll face France in the quarter-finals.

Easiest group in the World Cup.

I was hearing that if results go to plan then they'll face France in the quarter-finals.

I think England can become eliminated. Both Wales and Iran are gutsy teams.

England will be eliminated at the first knock out stage. As usual they will struggle to impress with such an average midfield.

England needed to be written off to perform. The pressure is often too much hence I think they'll win it.

England midfielder James Maddison was substituted after just 25 minutes on Saturday, appearing to suffer a problem with his right leg in Leicester's final game before the World Cup.

Maddison, who was called up to England's squad for the tournament in Qatar, went down after taking a corner, but was able to walk off the pitch.

The 25-year-old had opened the scoring in the Premier League game at West Ham.

England's first group game is against Iran on Monday, 21 November.

The Euros was the big chance. 1-0 up with an early goal in the Final, at Wembley, and not looking in any great trouble. That’s gone.

Quarter finals this time I think.

There is no guarantee England will even make the next stage with this squad.

Excellent attackers in Foden, Sterling and Kane but the defence is very poor. McGuire , Shaw, Dier, Stones are going to be torn apart by the better attacking teams.

One of the worst England squads to ever travel to a World Cup.

England will be eliminated at the first knock out stage. As usual they will struggle to impress with such an average midfield.

I'd be surprised if they are knocked out in the group stages.

They have a ridiculously weak group - Iran, USA and Wales.

Wales will be similar to a derby game, anything can happen.

Iran are pretty good side, topping their qualifying group with ease. They also performed well in 2018, drawing with Portugal and just losing 1-0 to Spain.

If England dont win the first match, the pressure could be too much.

The Euros was the big chance. 1-0 up with an early goal in the Final, at Wembley, and not looking in any great trouble. That’s gone.

Quarter finals this time I think.

That is because negative Southgate sat back after England got an early lead. Had England attacked Italy, they could have won 2 or 3 goals. Italy aren't a great side and missed out on two consecutive world cup qualification.

Wales will be similar to a derby game, anything can happen.

Iran are pretty good side, topping their qualifying group with ease. They also performed well in 2018, drawing with Portugal and just losing 1-0 to Spain.

If England dont win the first match, the pressure could be too much.

I agree. Gone are the days of easy groups/teams, they are organised and very difficult to break down. Englands Achilles heel is breaking down low block teams, and iran, usa, wales will make it very difficult

I mean they will qualify then be knocked out at the second stage.

<b>World Cup 2022: James Maddison never felt England chance had gone</b>

James Maddison said he never gave up hope of being part of the England squad for the Fifa World Cup despite his three-year absence from the international picture.

The Leicester midfielder, 25, made his England debut in November 2019 - still his only cap for his country.

But Maddison's excellent club form this season earned him a place in Gareth Southgate's 26-man squad for Qatar.

"I didn't think it was a closed door and the opportunity had gone," he said.

"It was just about staying hungry and almost using the rejection as not being called as motivation."

Maddison's one and only England appearance came in a 7-0 Euro 2020 qualifier win against Montenegro and he has had to wait patiently for his next international opportunity.

He has been instrumental in Leicester's rise from bottom of the Premier League table to 13th this season, scoring seven goals and providing four assists in 13 games.

However, he was still not certain whether it would be enough to earn a call-up and he admitted it was an emotional moment when he was told he was in the squad.

"My dad actually cried and my dad's not a crier; I don't think I've seen him cry for years," he added.

"They were happy tears of course because your family and your parents are on this journey with you.

"The disappointment in previous years of not being selected is spread across the family because your family want what's best for you.

"But on the opposite end, the happiness comes too."

There was a scare when Maddison limped off in Leicester's 2-0 win at West Ham last Saturday, but it was soon confirmed that it was just a knock.

And Maddison says he is confident he will be fit for England's opener against Iran on Monday (13:00 GMT).

"The scan was a good scan and no major problem," he said. "I'll have to do a little bit of work with the physios here to get up to full speed.

"It shouldn't affect me playing in the first game. I might just have to do some separate work with the physios, but I'm hopeful I'll be fine."

But while Maddison expected to be fit to face Iran, Manchester City full-back Kyle Walker will miss out.

The 32-year-old has not played since 2 October after having groin surgery but is expected to be fit for England's second group game against the United States on Friday, 25 November (19:00 GMT).

"I think probably the first game is too short, but from then onwards I will be good and ready to go," Walker told ITV.

"I had [surgery] and it was touch and go, but that's full credit to the physios here and also at Manchester City for getting me back fit and healthy."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63653486

Maddison is an ok player nothing more. I think he will break down, injured again esp inteh heat.

As I wrote in the other thread, will not be supporting England this year. Their propaganda and hate by the team, players and media has been a disgrace. Hopefully they will be knocked out early and get back to their LGBT parties.

Neymar has hailed Manchester United winger Jadon Sancho as one of his two favourite English footballers - suggesting Gareth Southgate has made an error in not picking him in his World Cup squad.

Sancho's form at Old Trafford has been somewhat inconsistent this season with the 22-year-old starting 10 of Man United's first 11 Premier League matches, but he has since suffered fitness setbacks.

Sancho has struggled to replicate the excellent form he showed across three seasons at Borussia Dortmund, where he bagged 50 goals and provided multiple assists. That led to a long-awaited switch to United, but he has taken time to settle at Old Trafford.

Sancho has won 23 caps for England and was a part of the Euro 2020 squad that reached the final, but he started just one match during the tournament – an impressive display in the quarter-final victory over Ukraine.

The last time the winger played for England was in a five-goal victory away to Andorra in a World Cup qualification match back in October 2021. Despite hopes that he would be involved in this tournament's squad, he was overlooked by Southgate for selection.

Sancho found the net in early-season wins over Liverpool and Leicester for Manchester United but his performances were inconsistent from the left flank of a three-pronged attack. With Anthony Martial now back to fitness, Sancho's place in the side is vulnerable as Marcus Rashford has moved out to the left role in his absence and excelled, being included in England's squad.

Yet Neymar has named Sancho and Three Lions captain Harry Kane as his two favourite England stars, claiming that their "qualities" made him particularly appreciate those two players over others from the nation.

Neymar said in an interview with the Telegraph, after excluding Southgate's side from his favourites to lift the World Cup: "I forgot about England, but obviously they have a chance." When asked who his favourite English players were, he added: "I really like Kane and Sancho, they are two incredible players and I have a special love for them. I like players that have their qualities."

England start their World Cup campaign against Iran on Monday before taking on the `United States four days later and concluding their group stage against Wales the following Tuesday.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/fif...sedgntp&cvid=c0591f870abe4de180f345ce628c198a

I think Maddison has a huge part to play. Him and Saka will be so pivotal. Also interesting if Trent gets to play as him bombing forward would add a whole new dimension.

Think they can reach the final 4, but won't go further.

It was surely the defining moment of Gareth Southgate’s year to date. The full-time whistle had blown on England’s 4-0 Nations League defeat against Hungary at Molineux on 14 June – the country’s heaviest home loss since 1928 – and the boos and howls from the stands were venomous.

What Southgate did next summed up his strength of character, his nobility. He walked on to the pitch to applaud the fans who were jeering. Perhaps he thought he had sufficient credit in the bank, some kind of insulation, what with being England’s most successful tournament manager of the modern era, of any era since Sir Alf Ramsey.

The volume of hatred towards Southgate only intensified. By the press box a man bellowed abuse, eyes wide with rage, and he was a long way from being alone. It was Southgate who felt the isolation because, when his players walked around to give sheepish waves, they were met with applause from the fans who had stayed. This is England and this is the life of the manager. It is all on him when things go bad.

At the Football Association there was shock. The hierarchy do not feel that Southgate gets the respect he deserves from a section of the supporter base and they could not believe how quickly things had turned. Before England kicked off their Nations League campaign against Hungary in Budapest on 4 June – when they were beaten 1-0 – they had won 18 of 22 matches, losing only once, which was the penalty shootout defeat by Italy in the Euro 2020 final.

Southgate himself was shaken. Did he really need all of this? Four days previously he had told a group of journalists that he would not outstay his welcome in the job, which appeared to hint that he could be entering his England end-game. It was after the 1-1 draw with Germany in Munich and just before the 0-0 with Italy, also at Molineux.

Southgate is sensitive to the tides of public opinion, even what is written about him in the newspapers – the “noise” as he has called it. The Hungary humiliation put him firmly on the back foot and there is no doubt that the mood from the summer has tracked him to Qatar for the World Cup, despite his attempts to highlight the mitigating factors, which essentially boiled down to the players being scrambled after a long season.

Southgate truly needed a tonic in September but he did not get it, the team losing 1-0 against Italy in Milan and drawing 3-3 with Germany at Wembley when they did at least rally from 2-0 down to go 3-2 up. It rounded off a dismal Nations League campaign, in which England were relegated from the top tier, and it has fed a narrative that has pressed down on Southgate from outside the camp.

The goodwill towards him has seeped away. The team has grown stale. And he is the problem. For Southgate it is now or never in Qatar.

The FA does not see it that way. It has Southgate under contract until December 2024, having agreed an extension in November of last year. The idea is that he will also have a shot at Euro 2024 in Germany, with the extra six months on the deal meaning there would be no unhelpful speculation about his future leading up to the tournament. Southgate could then help to smooth the transition to his successor.

From the FA’s point of view it has hit the jackpot with Southgate. After the missteps and scandals with previous managers, it has the consummate statesman, measured and at ease on any subject, almost never taking the wrong line. An excellent man-manager, he has also delivered results.

The FA is always looking at contingencies and would be open to an overseas successor to Southgate, with the British field looking slim at present. There was surprise within the organisation when the Rugby Football Union chief executive, Bill Sweeney, said the “preference” would be to replace Eddie Jones with an English coach. Why would he limit the choice?

The FA would be massively reluctant to sack Southgate after the World Cup unless the team absolutely bombed and even then it would probably be a mutual decision. It feels as though the onus would be on Southgate to consider whether to press on.

If it is to be the 52-year-old’s last dance with England, then he would be at peace with that. Southgate has eyes only on the challenge over the next month, which begins against Iran on Monday. He was able to move on after the Hungary debacle, to regain his sense of perspective. It is now about embracing the moment, the tremendous opportunity.

Southgate cannot care that his left-leaning sensibilities grate with some fans or that his playing style is perceived as overly cautious. Defending with all 11 men wins international tournaments and Southgate has to be more bothered about regaining the defensive solidity and balance of 2021 when his team kept 14 clean sheets. This year there have been two.

As for the theory about Southgate needing to win the World Cup or be branded a failure, that it is the only available option after reaching the semi-finals last time and then the Euro final, it is ludicrous. The tournament feels wide open, with about eight countries in with a chance – including England. But to believe that Southgate’s team will do it, have to do it, is to be guilty of a comical case of exceptionalism. England do have lots of talent. They also have gaps which are not all Southgate’s fault.

The FA has done everything to get the squad’s base in Qatar right. The hotel, the Souq Al Wakra, is unprepossessing by previous England standards, feeling more four star than the five it has. But it is private and tranquil, set by a lovely stretch of beach and calming waters, benefiting from being outside Doha. It feels ideal. The pristine training pitch at the Al-Wakrah Sports Club is a five-minute drive away.

What Southgate has done so successfully is to finesse the environment within his squad, creating one free of suspicion and club rivalry; the players want to join up and express themselves. Listen to any of them and they will invariably highlight the togetherness, the lack of individual ego. It is a platform for good things.

There has been much fretting about the poor form of certain likely starters – especially Harry Maguire and Raheem Sterling – but others are in fine touch, chief among them Kieran Trippier, Jude Bellingham, Bukayo Saka and Harry Kane. Luke Shaw has got his groove back after a difficult start to the season. Phil Foden has had good games.

There has been a strange vibe in Qatar this week; so quiet with the World Cup so close. There are banners and flags and there is plenty of Fifa’s mauve signage but no atmosphere, no electricity, although it must be said that the volunteers are friendly to the point of their lives depending on it.

Southgate’s challenge is also unusual: to prepare his 26 players in next to no time with each needing different fitness programmes to correspond to their seasons so far.

Confidence is high. Those who have spoken to the media have not been afraid to embrace the levels of expectation, to declare that England can win. In the past there has almost always been something that goes wrong; a rush of blood, a missing detail, a lack of in-game management. Southgate knows that he has to be perfect.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...d-fans-after-hungary-debacle?CMP=share_btn_tw

Gravity comes for every England manager in the end. Why should Gareth Southgate be any different? He has already taken this great hot air balloon of ours higher and further than anyone could have expected.

But as he prepares for his third major tournament in charge, hurriedly trying to get his players ready for Iran on Monday, he must know there is a good reason so few managers helm three campaigns in a row. And why they tend to go so wrong when they do.

Most England managers find that when the decline starts, it is impossible to arrest. When the players, the fans and the media start to get bored of a manager, there is nothing he can do to reverse that process. The recent history of the England team, after the turbulent 1990s, is one of managers staying too long rather than leaving too soon.

Sixteen months have passed since that defeat on penalties to Italy at Wembley. As he has tried to help his players recover from the pain and refocus, Southgate must have noticed some of the tell-tale signs that the air was starting to escape from his balloon.

England have had a poor year. The last competitive game they won was against San Marino one year ago this week. They finished bottom of their group in the Nations League, with three points from six games, and did not score an open play goal between March and September. But beyond the results themselves, there has been an identifiable vibe shift, fans turning against Southgate in Molineux and Milan. Put it all together, the results, the performances, the sense of mutiny and gravity, and it does make you wonder: are we witnessing the end of the “Gazball” era? And were the semi-final of 2018 and final last year the peaks after all?

So is Southgate the victim of impersonal historical forces, dragging his team back down to earth after they got so close to glory? Or has he timed the long arc of his tenure perfectly, so that his team will peak at the 2022 World Cup, just as they always intended? These are the type of grand questions we only answer through the tiny contingencies of knockout football. (For a sense of just how silly so much analysis of international football is, just think back to how different things would have been if David Ospina had saved Eric Dier’s fairly tame penalty in Moscow in the first knockout stage four years ago. Or if Marcus Rashford’s penalty last summer had hit the post and gone in. Imagine how different this very article could read now!)

That is always the dynamic of international football: little details, grand conclusions. It is impossible to know which moments will decide England’s success or failure here in Qatar — that is why we watch football, after all. But we can be broadly sure there will be an error or a bounce or a decision or a slip or a VAR controversy that will define how far England progress. All we can do is wait for it.

If we turn back and look into the clearer past, there are some things we do know. The first is about the limited lifespan of an England manager. Occupants do not stay in this job long, and they tend to get worse at it the longer they stay. Legendary Hungarian coach Bela Guttmann used to say that in management “the third year is fatal”, and that great teams only have a three-year cycle before they get bored, complacent or found out.

International football is obviously different, but it does feel as if there is a rule of three tournaments when it comes to the England job. Simply put: most England managers do not make it to three tournaments in charge, and those that do often wish that they had not. The very fact that this is Southgate’s third is a triumph of sorts. Not many would have bet on that when he took the interim job in September 2016.

To take the most recent example of this trend, go back to Euro 2016. This was Roy Hodgson’s third tournament in charge, and it was one of the worst humiliations in English football history. England had never really been good under Hodgson (not at Euro 2012, certainly not at the 2014 World Cup), but he was given one more chance in France.

A degree of staleness is to be expected at a third major tournament together but England looked utterly fossilised at this tournament. The warning signs were there as they drew with Russia, scraped past Wales, drew an unwatchable game with Slovakia before revealing just how deeply frozen by fear they were when they played Iceland.

Ten years before Euro 2016, we saw a different example of the same phenomenon: how a manager’s third tournament can finally bring all the flaws and weaknesses of his tenure to the surface. Sven-Goran Eriksson’s England were by this point a celebrity circus, undermined by a Fake Sheikh and sex scandals, and with the FA forced to announce before the World Cup that it would be the end of Eriksson’s tenure.

England’s camp in Baden-Baden was almost like a knowing satire of the times, the apogee of the late-Blair pre-crash era of complacency and arrogance. England’s whole campaign was like a series of Celebrity Big Brother punctuated by football matches every few days. The only time they played well, against Portugal in the quarter-finals, they lost on penalties. No one thought by the end that Eriksson had gone too soon, or that a run at a fourth tournament might have been worthwhile.

The only time in the modern era that an England manager has reached a third tournament and succeeded was Italia ‘90, which came after Sir Bobby Robson had already been in the job for eight years. England’s run in Italy was remarkable in part because it felt so unlikely going into it. Robson had already been driven out before the World Cup. Fiercely critical media coverage had forced him to accept the job coaching PSV Eindhoven, and when news of that emerged, he was called a “traitor” too. Italia ‘90 was the last hurrah for Robson and half of his England team, and they improvised their way through to a penalty shootout defeat in the semi-finals.

So these are weighty historical forces that Southgate’s England are competing with this month. Everything we know suggests England will struggle to replicate their past two tournament campaigns. Southgate somehow has to not just resist that downward pressure but reverse it. He has to show that this team, despite everything we have seen from them in 2022, is in fact still improving.

The problem is that watching England recently has betrayed the sense of a team that is indeed starting to go stale. Southgate has been assiduously loyal to his core of players from the past two tournaments but they are not all performing like they used to. There are big questions over the form of Harry Maguire and Raheem Sterling, and the next generation (Phil Foden and Jude Bellingham in particular) are still being fully integrated into the team.

Ultimately England have not won a difficult or important game since the Euros. There are always mitigating circumstances for this: the calendar, the post-Euros hangover, the necessity to experiment before Qatar. But equally, there is no available evidence to say that England go into this in a better state than they did for the last tournament.

The football England have played has never been especially exciting, although they have been very good at racking up goals in qualification. But the Gazball trade-off was always that the structured, patient style was more effective at getting through tournaments than any style England had played before. Southgate has held up his side of the bargain, taking England to within touching distance of their first major trophy for nearly 60 years. This England team have acquired a bit of canniness and nous, with an experienced spine that should help this month.

But it does feel as if the public patience for Southgate’s style of play is starting to wear thin. Towards the end of England’s 4-0 defeat to Hungary at Molineux in June, one fan sat just behind the press box stormed out. As he was turning back from the stairway to the concourse, he shouted out in the direction of the dugout: “**** off, Southgate, you negative *******!” The fact England had been counter-attacked by Hungary after Southgate had made attacking substitutions seemed beside the point. What mattered is that the perception of Southgate as “negative” has started to stick, and that even after such successes, he is out of currency with some people.

There is a segment of England watchers — in the media and in the wider public — who genuinely believe the only thing standing between England and winning every game 4-0 is Gareth Southgate’s handbrake. And that if Southgate could just release it and play all of his most exciting players in a 4-3-3, then England could breeze the whole World Cup. Southgate has inflated expectations to the point that not having won a trophy, and not having won a trophy with style are now points made against him.

So is it plausible for Southgate to be the Bobby Robson of 2022, and to produce his finest hour just as the world outside is starting to turn against him? Well, maybe, but football has changed an awful lot in the last 32 years. That said, Southgate is operating in a totally different media environment from Robson. No newspapers are handing out badges calling for his dismissal yet.

Perhaps a better example from a more recent time is Joachim Low. There are similarities between Southgate and Low — their arrival to the main job from inside the building rather than the top end of club football, their commitment to patient growth, their loyalty to key players, their sense that a national team should have a long-term ethos of its own. And for many years, Low looked like someone who had taken Germany to the brink of success but no further: his team lost the final of Euro 2008 and then the semi-finals of the 2010 World Cup and Euro 2012. If he had left at that point, he would have been the nearly man of international football. But he stayed, won the 2014 World Cup, his fourth major tournament as Bundestrainer.

Maybe that should provide some hope that Southgate can be an English Low, continuing to defy gravity and keep sailing rather than start flailing. Maybe in modern football, Southgate’s job does have more in common with the Germany job than it does with the other people who have managed England in the past.

Or maybe all of these questions and theories will look slightly beside the point on Monday afternoon at the Khalifa International Stadium, as the good ship Gazball embarks on its latest voyage, and we wait to see which way the wind blows it.

https://theathletic.com/3910951/202...land-future-qatar/?source=user_shared_article

Criticism of England manager Gareth Southgate is "crazy talk", says Three Lions defender Eric Dier.

SA fans have mocked the England squad for using a mist machine to train through the searing Qatar heat as it prepares to face Iran in its Group B opener Monday.

The sweltering Qatar heat is one of the main factors coach Gareth Southgate has made a point to address to help his squad prepare for its World Cup campaign with temperatures in the host nation rising well above those which the Three Lions are used to.

The World Cup stadiums are air conditioned which is expected to bring temperatures down to around 73 degrees to ease the strain of the heat on matchdays.

But the battle to beat the heat during training is a different story.

Temperatures have been as high as 91 degrees since The Three Lions' arrival in Qatar and England's experts have implemented a host of measures to ensure the impact on players during matches and training is kept to a minimum.

To reduce the impact of the heat during training, a mist machine - nicknamed 'the heat shack' - has been installed on the side of England's training pitch.

Players are also using ice towels, a tactic they first used during the opening game of last year's European Championships against Croatia.

Ice packs and ice vests have also been offered to players during their training sessions to keep them cool.

England's official Twitter account posted a video of players taking it in turn to cool down in front of the mist machine.

However, USA fans have mocked the England players for being unable to cope with the searing heat.

A fan account called USMNT Only tweeted the video of the England players cooling down in front of the mist machine, claiming they were 'completely gassed.'

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/foo...sedgntp&cvid=737bb5df5da747fb93eb28541255cef0

Gareth Southgate has confirmed that James Maddison and Kyle Walker will miss Monday's World Cup opener against Iran through injury.

Walker is working his way back to fitness after groin surgery, while Maddison has yet to train since arriving in Qatar after picking up a knee problem playing for Leicester last weekend.

"Kyle Walker is a little bit short for this game but is progressing really well. We are ahead of where we thought he might be at this point," Southgate told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"James hasn’t been able to train since we arrived so he will not be able to make the game tomorrow.”

Gareth Southgate hopes England can go on a "fantastic journey" at the World Cup to bring "real happiness" to the nation.

The Three Lions begin their World Cup campaign against Iran on Monday.

"Our challenge is to give our supporters a tournament that is memorable," said boss Southgate.

"Our country is going through a difficult spell, in the middle of an economic recession and life has been difficult for a lot of people."

Southgate added: "We want them to have a journey with the team that brings real happiness."

England's World Cup campaign opened in thoroughly convincing fashion as they outclassed Iran in Doha.

The game was played out against the backdrop of more off-field controversy here in Qatar after England were forced to ditch plans to wear the OneLove armband promoting diversity and inclusivity under threat from Fifa of players being cautioned should they carry out the gesture of support.

Gareth Southgate's side strolled to victory, with Iran's hopeless plight made worse by the early loss of goalkeeper Alireza Beiranvand to concussion after a clash of heads with a team-mate.

Jude Bellingham got England off the mark in this World Cup with a soaring header from Luke Shaw's cross 10 minutes before the break and the game was wrapped up before half-time thanks to Saka's fine strike and Raheem Sterling's classy volley with the outside of his foot from Harry Kane's cross.

Iran's supporters were given a moment of real delight when Mehdi Taremi scored a fine goal after 65 minutes but it only produced a ruthless response from England as Saka scored his second and substitute Marcus Rashford scored with his first involvement - both smooth, composed strikes.

To put the gloss on an incredibly dominant display, Jack Grealish slotted home from close range after a good run and pull back by Callum Wilson.

Iran did pull another back in injury time when Taremi slotted in a penalty after a John Stones foul.

BBC

That was a stellar performance from England, apart from a couple of defensive moments. The team is full of goals and creativity & the new 4-2-3-1 formation looks better, quicker, more exciting and makes better use of width than the Southgate 3-5-2 which had grown stale and opponents found easy to prepare against. Luke Shaw and Kieran Trippier were both excellent from the first whistle I thought.

It was interesting to see two of Gareth’s past favourites Kalvin Phillips and Jordan Henderson falling out of favour and not getting any minutes, even in a comfortable second half when all five subs were used. Clearly he views the likes of Declan Rice and Jude Bellingham on a different level to them at the moment.

Iran were very very poor, too defensive early on.

Good win for England but letting in 2 goals against Iran is a not good sign.

Of course English fans are getting carried away with scoring 6 but this team will get badly beaten by one of the better sides.

Sterner tests for England coming up against USA and Wales. They should be targeting at least one more win from this pair of games, and with the goal difference they have already fashioned that should see them topping the group.

Gareth Southgate said England "put down a great marker" by thrashing Iran 6-2 in their World Cup opener but "must be better" in their final two group games.

At least Southgate has ditched the five at the back but I wonder if he goes back to it when England come up against one of the big teams.

At least Southgate has ditched the five at the back but I wonder if he goes back to it when England come up against one of the big teams.

Really hope he doesn’t. England looked so much better playing a 4-2-3-1.

People keep saying “it’s only Iran” but there are already surprise results in the tournament on the third day, and the old 3-5-2 Southgate formation would struggle to beat most teams at this tournament which is being played at a very high standard so far.

Harry Kane will have a scan on his right ankle before Friday's World Cup game with the United States.

Kane, 29, suffered a blow early in the second half during the 6-2 victory over Iran in Group B on Monday.

He was eventually replaced by Callum Wilson and was later seen with light strapping on the ankle.
Kane is set to have the scan on Wednesday to assess the extent of the problem.

The Tottenham striker has scored 51 goals in 76 appearances for the Three Lions.

Really hope he doesn’t. England looked so much better playing a 4-2-3-1.

People keep saying “it’s only Iran” but there are already surprise results in the tournament on the third day, and the old 3-5-2 Southgate formation would struggle to beat most teams at this tournament which is being played at a very high standard so far.

Iran are ranked #20 currently so they are no pushovers. And besides, you can only beat who is in front of you.

I seriously hope England don't go to a back five, as they played some really good football against Iran with a back four. Probably some of the best football I have seen under Southgate.

Iran are ranked #20 currently so they are no pushovers. And besides, you can only beat who is in front of you.

I seriously hope England don't go to a back five, as they played some really good football against Iran with a back four. Probably some of the best football I have seen under Southgate.

Iran were a good team but a combination of overly defensiveness and outside criticism of their country, they went into a shell.

England should also beat USA and Wales but after this , they will come home imo. Their defence is simply average.

Iran were a good team but a combination of overly defensiveness and outside criticism of their country, they went into a shell.

England should also beat USA and Wales but after this , they will come home imo. Their defence is simply average.

I agree that England will lose against the first top team they come up against. Defence is atrocious with clowns like Maguire, Dier selected over the likes of Tomori.

England captain Harry Kane was able to train with his team-mates on Wednesday, boosting hopes he will be fit for Friday's World Cup group match against the United States.

Kane sustained a blow early in the second half during the 6-2 victory over Iran in Group B on Monday.

He was due to have a scan to assess the damage on Wednesday, but England goalkeeper Jordan Pickford said the striker is "fine".

"I think he is good," said Pickford.

"I'm sure he is fine. He was out on the grass with us today which is good. He is our captain."

Tottenham's Kane has scored 51 goals in 76 appearances for the Three Lions.

Midfielder James Maddison missed the Iran match as he recovers from a knee issue, while defender Harry Maguire came off feeling ill on Monday.

Maddison did not train with the rest of the squad on Wednesday but Maguire was involved.

Callum Wilson did not train in a light session with the rest of the substitutes at England's Al Wakrah training base on Wednesday, but is not considered a fitness doubt.

I think they are just managing Callum Wilson’s workload. He is known as a good, gifted player but very injury prone.

<b>Gareth Southgate is "worried" that England appearing as an example at a pre-World Cup referee briefing will have ramifications for his side.</b>

Against Iran, England were penalised for a shirt pull from a corner, whereas Harry Maguire's appeals for a foul at the other end had been ignored.

On day three of the World Cup, a similar incident resulted in Argentina getting a penalty against Saudi Arabia.

"We've got to have clarity or we don't know where we stand," Southgate said.

Fifa referees committee chairman Pierluigi Collina singled out England during a pre-tournament briefing, showing a clip of Kalvin Phillips blocking to create space for Maguire to score in a victory over Albania in World Cup qualifying last year.

Collina explained such a goal would be disallowed at the World Cup, leaving Southgate uncertain over the potential consequences for England.

"What worries me is we were used in an example in the referees' video," he said. "What we were shown, the incident in the first half [with Maguire] would be a definite penalty.

"Maybe there's a shirt pull [for the Iran penalty] - we've got to be better on that - but I'm a bit worried we were the example shown.

And then to get a decision as happened in the first half, we need some clarification really as to how it's going to be.

"We've got to have that dialogue with Fifa and just make sure. Goals are going in and we don't know whether they stand or not."

England could seal qualification from Group B with a win in their next game against the United States on Friday (19:00 GMT).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63721852

England captain Harry Kane will be fit to play in Friday's World Cup match against the United States, says manager Gareth Southgate.

The striker injured his ankle early in the second half of Monday's opening 6-2 victory over Iran in Group B and was later substituted.

"Harry is fine. He has worked slightly separately from the group but all good for Friday night," said Southgate.

"He had a scan [on Wednesday] to make sure everything is fine."

BBC

BREAKING: England are set to name an unchanged team for tonight's clash with USA with Harry Kane and Harry Maguire both being fit to play.

James Maddison is expected to remain sidelined with a knee issue.

England should win this game, USA have some good young players but England are likely to have too much quality and nous for them in the end.

'Criticism is part and parcel of football'
England v USA (19:00 GMT)

England boss Gareth Southgate was joined at Thursday's news conference by defender Harry Maguire, who has received recent criticism but will gain his 50th international cap if he plays.

"I have great belief in myself, I work as hard as possible, I give my all and that gives you good preparation to perform to the best level," said Maguire.

"As a footballer nobody likes being criticised but it's part and parcel of the game. I've played with Cristiano Ronaldo for the last couple of years and he's one of the greatest players to kick a football.

"He gets criticised daily, so if it's going to happen to him, it's going to happen to every one of us. You've just got to work hard, do your best and that's all you can do."

Didn't look like potential winners today.

Awful actually.

Surprised Foden wasn't brought on.

Absolutely shocked at the performance. Vibes of 2010

Im not suprised at all. England in the last 12 months have been woeful.

The big win against Iran bought the hype.

Wales could beat England too.

England will lose in the next round .

Southgate is too busy thinking about how he and his team can protest! Too busy taking the knee and all.

He said himself said he was happy with this dull result, walking away with a 'silver' medal.

Sack Southgate and this sad rainbow protesting bunch.

They were awful Couldnt even do the basics right like pass press and play with any energy

And which manager leaves a potential match winner like foden out two games in a row

He brough henderson on with 30 mins to go fgs

Southgate comes across as someone whos defensive and happy with mediocrity

England will likely have an achievable RO16, against Senegal or Ecuador (or less probably Netherlands). If they get past that however, they will likely face France in the QFs.

When the final whistle blew, boos boomed among the England fans at Al-Bayt Stadium.

They had enough.

A 0-0 draw against the Americans so turgid that the referee only added on four minutes - the lowest so far at this World Cup of 100-minute matches.

It seemed the 6-2 rout of Iran was just an anomaly on Monday.

This was the type of dire display England supporters have had to get used to in this year of six winless matches going into the World Cup and relegation in the Nations League.

Once again, Gareth Southgate is feeling the heat - despite leading England to the 2018 World Cup semi-finals, and Euro 2020 final. The frustrated fans made that clear with the jeering.

The Three Lions manager said: "People are going to react how they react, and I can't let that affect how I feel about the team or how the team feels."

Too defensive and too boring was the snap reaction of fans filtering out of the stadium.

Southgate accepted some concerns: "We lacked a little bit of zip and quality in the final third, and we weren't able to open up, to create really good chances.

"But we had to show another side of ourselves."

A dismal display he hopes, though, won't be repeated against Wales on Tuesday in the Group B finale.

Wales have to win to reach the last 16. England can lose 4-0 and still go through.

Not that the fans will accept that after the turgid display against the USA.

Southgate said: "I'm sure there'll be a lot of noise about the performance.

"But not many teams go through World Cups and get nine points in the group."

And still no England team can beat the Americans at a World Cup after failing at the third attempt.

The venue furthest north in Qatar is still only 45 minutes set from Doha.

England looked far more lethargic than their journey time suggested.

SKY

England's players do not "need fans to boo" them to know they have not played well, says forward Marcus Rashford.

The Three Lions sit top of Group B and remain in a strong position to reach the last 16, largely because of their 6-2 thrashing of Iran in their opener.

Friday's lacklustre 0-0 draw against USA was greeted by loud jeers from fans at the final whistle.

"I feel like if we play well in the next game, that USA game will be forgotten," said 25-year-old Rashford.

"It's not a nice feeling. But to be honest we don't need fans to boo us to know we have not played well. It was a feeling that was mutual among the group - that we could have done better.

"You do question if you would have changed things in the build-up to the game but that is natural as players because you want to win as many games as you can. When you don't win it's disappointing but we can't be so negative about it. We're in a good position in the group.

"When you win a game, you are the best team in the world. When you lose, you are the worst. That's football. As players you have to keep a balance."

The drab draw with the United States saw England miss the chance to wrap up qualification to the knockout stage, but Gareth Southgate's side will go through regardless if they avoid a four-goal defeat by Wales on Tuesday.

England's performance and the reaction of supporters evoked memories of the 2010 tournament in South Africa where they underwhelmed and Wayne Rooney was forced to apologise for remarks made following a disappointing 0-0 draw against Algeria.

Since Southgate's appointment as manager in 2016, England have reached the semi-finals of the 2018 World Cup and the final of Euro 2020, with Rashford saying that it does not take "a genius" to work out that their have been significant improvements from what went before.

"The standard of training wasn't as high," added Rashford. "For players, it is black and white: if you are not training well, you can't expect to play well, you can't expect to go into games and just win.

"There has obviously been a clear change and clear improvement. We have done much better in the major tournaments but even in the games through the year we have had better results.

"It is not often that I come away with England and feel like we will lose games. As a collective we are very strong and it is a big feature that Gareth puts emphasis on.

"I don't think it takes a genius to see we have improved since 2016. You look at that performance against Iceland when we got knocked out of the Euros and it is a million miles from where we are now."

BBC

England forward Marcus Rashford has questioned the level of dedication to training under Gareth Southgate's predecessors, claiming that the intensity has reached a new level under the current regime.

Manchester City playmaker Phil Foden still has a "big part" to play in England's World Cup campaign despite his limited role in the first two group matches, says manager Gareth Southgate.

Foden came on after 71 minutes in the 6-2 win over Iran and was unused in the drab 0-0 draw with the United States.

"We love Phil, he's a super player," said Southgate, who has guided England to four points from two games in Qatar.

"He's going to play a big part in this tournament for us."

Foden, who has scored seven goals in 14 Premier League games for Manchester City this season, has earned 19 England caps since making his debut in 2020.

However, after being introduced late in England's opening Group B win against Iran, he was left on the bench during the goalless draw with the US as Southgate instead chose to bring on Jack Grealish and Marcus Rashford in the quest for a breakthrough.

While Southgate acknowledges it is impossible to keep everyone happy, he praised Foden's attitude before Tuesday's final group game against Wales.

"Phil's mentality to training and the way he's approaching everything is excellent," Southgate told BBC Sport.

Southgate also says Foden's multiple attributes mean he can fit into the team in various roles.

"There are different possibilities. He can play on either flank and can play as a false nine if we chose to do that," he added.

"He can play off a striker, although he doesn't do that as much at club level so that's maybe applicable to certain games or certain moments.

"He's a very flexible player in terms of the attributes he has and where he can have an impact. He's a goal threat, which is also very important."

England need to avoid a four-goal defeat on Tuesday to progress to the last 16, while Wales must win and hope for a draw between the United States and Iran to stand any chance of progressing.

Southgate dismissed suggestions he and his team faced added pressure from taking on another home nation.

"None more than normal. We recognise this is a game with a lot of focus because it's a local derby, but we're England - everyone wants to beat us," Southgate said.

"There are high expectations every time we're on the pitch. We've got to focus on playing as well as we can while showing that composure and ruthlessness that's going to be needed to win."

BBC

Surely an easy win tonight against Wales?

As expected, Kyle Walker, Jordan Henderson, Phil Foden and Marcus Rashford all start for England for the first time this tournament.

Wales make three changes, but Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey retain their places. Danny Ward, Joe Allen and Dan James come in.

England team news
England XI: Pickford, Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw, Henderson, Rice, Bellingham, Foden, Kane, Rashford.

Subs: Grealish, Sterling, Trippier, Pope, Phillips, Dier, Coady, Saka, Alexander-Arnold, Mount, Ramsdale, Wilson, Maddison, Gallagher.

Defender Ben White has left England's World Cup squad in Qatar to return home for personal reasons.

The Arsenal player is not expected to return for the remainder of the tournament, England said in a statement.

"We ask that the player's privacy is respected at this moment in time," it added.

Jude Bellingham looks a different level of player compared to what we are used to seeing for England, loads of tricks and backheels, seems to be rubbing off on his team mates. No team has impressed overly much in this tournament, maybe Brazil when Neymar was playing, otherwise England should have as good a chance as they'll ever have.

England's quality means they should be feared by other nations at the World Cup, says midfielder Declan Rice.

The Three Lions are through to the last 16 in Qatar and face Senegal on Sunday for a place in the quarter-finals.

Rice believes England's "world-class talent" and the squad's trophy-winning experience with their clubs combine to make them formidable opposition.

"Other nations will look at our quality - and why should we not be feared?" said the West Ham United captain.

"If you look at our attacking talent, we have world-class talent. Across the board we have players who have won the biggest trophies.

"It is up to us to prove that. The likes of France have done that. We're not just here to get into the last 16, we want to go the whole way."

England's players have the experience of reaching the 2018 World Cup semi-finals in Russia and the final of the European Championship last year.

Rice acknowledges manager Gareth Southgate faces a "selection headache" for the game against Senegal with Bukayo Saka, Raheem Sterling, Marcus Rashford and Phil Foden competing for two starting places alongside Harry Kane in England's attack.

But he says there is nothing but positive support within the squad for whoever gets the nod.

"What is so good about our group here is we are all so supportive of each other," the 23-year-old added.

"There is probably a selection headache for the manager but whoever he picks, I know everyone will be rooting for each other. It is a real team effort now.

"I think (the competition) is top level - it's always nice to know you can bring players on that can instantly change the game.

"We've got world-class players that can do that. In a World Cup you need that.

"Competition is really healthy and I'd do anything to win the World Cup. So if that means someone comes on and helps, that's all that matters. We all share the same goal."

England went into the World Cup on the back of a six-match winless run and relegation from the Nations League.

However they topped Group B following wins against Iran and Wales and a goalless draw with the United States.

Rice, who is at his first World Cup, says confidence is high within the camp as England prepare for the high stakes of the knockout stage.

"Our mentality now is fantastic. We have players that have won trophies year in, year out - so they've brought that mentality and installed it to England," he said.

"It's about the manager too, the way he talks to us. He's so calm. He emphasises we're England, we're just as big as anyone else and we can achieve anything. When you have a manager like that, anything is possible.

"The closest I've got to a big shock was beating Germany and I remember thinking that day in the dressing room, there was no way we were losing.

"You want that feeling, because that's what takes you all the way."

BBC

More and more decent teams either looking vulnerable or getting dumped out.

England have a chance here.

With the way the draw is looking, France in the QF seems like it would be England’s toughest potential game in the knockouts.

If England can somehow eke out a win from that one, they can maybe win the whole thing.

John Stones has praised England centre-back partner Harry Maguire's character after a strong start to the World Cup despite his club troubles.

The dreaded 'P' word: penalties.

At this stage four years ago England won their first-ever World Cup penalty shootout to beat Colombia and advance to the quarter-finals.

Their latest shootout, though, ended in defeat -an agonising loss to Italy in the final of the European Championship at Wembley last year.

Gareth Southgate says the squad have been focusing on their spot-kicks in training.

"We were not moving far from what we did, but there are some things we thought we could nail down even tighter and we have been working on that for a while," he said.

"There is a balance of not making that a bigger drama than it needs to be but, at the same time, making sure we are prepared."

<b>England v Senegal preview and press conference:
Gareth Southgate says 'favourites' tag means nothing before last-16 tie</b>

Gareth Southgate says England's tag as "favourites" means nothing as they prepare for their World Cup last-16 meeting with Senegal.

The Three Lions meet African champions Senegal in their first knockout stage match in Qatar on Sunday at 19:00 GMT.

England qualified as Group B winners with a 3-0 win over Wales on Tuesday, while Senegal were runners-up behind the Netherlands in Group A.

"We will be considered favourites," Southgate said.

"But that doesn't really mean anything in a one-off game," the England boss added.

"It doesn't mean there isn't any pressure for Senegal because every international team has great pressure in their own nation and externally as well."

The meeting at Al Bayt Stadium is the first between the two nations and the winner will meet reigning champions France or Poland in the quarter-finals.

While Senegal have reached the knockout stage of a World Cup for just the second time, England are bidding to make the last eight in consecutive tournaments for the first time since 2006, following their run to the semi-finals four years ago.

Southgate's side were eliminated by an extra-time Croatia winner in Russia, before then losing out to Italy on penalties in the Euro 2020 final at Wembley last summer.

"We are two tournaments on from when we played Colombia at this stage in Moscow. I think our level of experience is better, our level of ambition is different," Southgate told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"When we qualified from our group stage in Russia, we were probably celebrating quite a bit. This time was a great evening for our fans and we enjoyed the win, but we were already thinking of the next game.

"We know the focus has to be on this one game, nothing else."

Asked about the prospect of penalties, Southgate added: "We are aiming to win the game and avoid extra time and penalties, but if we need to go 120 minutes or beyond that we have to be ready for that mentally and physically and I believe we are."

Senegal lifted the Africa Cup of Nations trophy for the first time in February as Aliou Cisse's side overcame Egypt in a penalty shootout.

The Teranga Lions were dealt a huge blow prior to the World Cup when star player Sadio Mane was ruled out of the tournament with a knee injury he suffered playing for Bayern Munich less than two weeks before his nation's opening match.

But victories over hosts Qatar and Ecuador, after an opening defeat by the Netherlands, ensured they have qualified for the knockout stage for the first time in 20 years.

"We have been very impressed with Senegal," Southgate said.

"They are African champions and are very proud and have great spirit and belief in their team. They have some excellent individual players who can cause problems, but a good structure as well.

"Cisse has done a fantastic job. We know the size of the job ahead of us."

Senegal coach Cisse was unable to attend his news conference on Saturday because of illness, raising doubts over whether he will be on the touchline.

Southgate has so far seen his faith in Harry Maguire repaid by the Manchester United centre-back, despite his recent struggles at club level.

Partnering Manchester City defender John Stones at the heart of a back four, England kept successive clean sheets against the USA and Wales following a 6-2 thrashing of Iran.

Southgate believes the 29-year-old Maguire, who has started one league game for his club since August, has benefited from England's style of play - as well as the appreciation shown by the fans.

"He knows we've got complete belief in him," Southgate said. "He's had huge performances for England in two tournaments where we've had a huge degree of progress as a country.

"As with most players of that quality, it is about confidence. You can see that when he plays in our team. We play in a way that suits him.

"He feels the love of the fans, that was clear in the stadium the other night, and that was brilliant to see because that hasn't always been the case in the last few months with England.

"He's helped to form a really important bedrock for our team."

England captain Harry Kane won the golden boot at the 2018 World Cup, and although he is yet to score in Qatar - despite England's tournament-high nine group-stage goals - he has contributed three assists.

The Tottenham striker had an injury scare earlier in the tournament after sustaining a knock against Iran but says he is now focused on hitting his peak.

"First and foremost my foot feels fine, no problem at all. It has been getting getter and better day by day," Kane confirmed on Saturday.

"Form-wise I feel like I have been playing well. Goals are what I'm going to be judged on most, but I'm a calm individual and I always try to focus on doing my best for the team.

"I will continue to do that. If the goals come, great, it will give us a better chance of winning. It will be a tough game, but tomorrow hopefully I can get off the mark.

"I feel really good, I feel fit and sharp. I feel as match fit as I'm ever going to feel. Only time will tell. I can try and come into the best form with these knockout games."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/63847951.amp

With the way the draw is looking, France in the QF seems like it would be England’s toughest potential game in the knockouts.

If England can somehow eke out a win from that one, they can maybe win the whole thing.

If Benzema was playing I would say England had very little chance, but with him out, I think there's only really Mbappe to fear, and one player can usually be stopped. Giroud still knows his way to the goal, but both him and Griezmann are past their best days.

Harry Kane only has to think back to the past two tournaments to ease any doubts about not scoring so far at the World Cup, as England prepare to face Senegal in the last 16.

The captain did collect the Golden Boot as the top scorer on the last world stage in Russia with six goals, but they all came in his first three games. There was only frustration in front of goal in the next three, as England finished fourth.

The script was flipped at Euro 2020: No goals in the group stage, then four in the run to the final.

So the Tottenham striker enters the game against African champions Senegal at Al-Bayt Stadium later today encouraged by the displays at the Euros, on reflection, more than those at Russia 2018.

He said: "I started the tournament [Russia 2018] with loads of goals, used a lot of energy and as the tournament went on, I felt like my performances dipped in the latter stages.

"I was conscious before the Euros of trying to make it the other way. Of course, I still wanted to start well, but I was trying to make sure that physically, and mentally, I was in the best place for the knockout stages."

Now the 29-year-old does feel clear of any ankle problems - after a worry early on in Qatar - and in good shape.

World Cup hits and misses: Lionel Messi magic gives Argentina hope while Louis van Gaal deserves Netherlands trust

Argentina's Lionel Messi celebrates
World Cup: Lionel Messi marks 1,000th game with a goal as Argentina beat Australia in last-16

Lionel Messi celebrates after giving Argentina the lead against Australia
World Cup 2022 - Argentina 2-1 Australia: Lionel Messi and Julian Alvarez goals put Argentina into quarter-final against Netherlands

He said: "I feel as match-fit as I'm ever going to feel. Only time will tell. Hopefully I can do well and come into the best form in these knockout games.

"Form-wise I feel like I have been playing well, goals are what I'm going to be judged on most but as always I'm a calm individual and always try to focus on the team and do my best for the team."

His teammates assumed the scoring burden in the group stage, netting nine goals - the most by an England team by this stage.

And he still set up three goals - the most by an England player at a World Cup since David Beckham 20 years ago.

Senegal are not a side to be underestimated.

The West African nation are the current African Cup of Nations champions, and many of the side play for major European clubs, including 11 in England.

Star player, former Liverpool and now Bayern Munich forward Sadio Mane, didn’t make the World Cup because of a knee injury, but the Lions of Teranga still scored goals and encouragingly, for them, from positions all over the pitch.

Gareth Southgate has described them as "a very dangerous team".

This is only their second World Cup, the previous two in 2002 and 2018, and they have reached the quarter-finals once before in Japan, eventually losing to Turkey.

Watch out for Chelsea goalkeeper Edouard Mendy and club teammate Kalidou Koulibaly, who captains his country.

And in the absence of the injured Mane, there has been a greater expectation placed on the Watford forward, Ismaila Sarr.

His only goal so far has come via a coolly taken penalty, having won the spot-kick himself, and he has the pace and movement to trouble any opposition.

England will go into the match favourites, but Senegal feel the pressure is off them, and know they have the ability to win the match.

Without doubt, Senegal will be the toughest team England have faced in the tournament so far.

Kane said: "I would love to be sitting here with two or three goals now, for sure, but I think the group stage has gone well."

He only needs two goals to match Wayne Rooney's record 53 goals for England. The priority is, of course, leading The Three Lions into another final - and landing their first trophy since 1966.

England will be favourites going into the match, but manager Gareth Southgate will not be taking Senegal lightly.

"We have been very impressed with Senegal," he said.

"We know they are African champions and are very proud and have great spirit and belief in their team. They have some excellent individual players who can cause problems, but a good structure as well.

"(Aliou) Cisse has done a fantastic job. They were very unlucky not to qualify from the group in Russia and they have deservedly done it this time. We know the size of the job ahead of us."

Southgate believes England are "mentally and physically" ready for another penalty shootout if the showdown with Senegal goes down to the wire.

The national team's spot-kick issues are well documented, with all three World Cup shootouts ending in defeat before beating Colombia in the last 16 four years ago in Russia.

England followed that by winning bronze on spot-kicks at the Nations League finals against Switzerland in 2019, only for penalties to prove their undoing in last year's European Championship final.

"We're aiming to win the game and to avoid extra time if you can, and to avoid penalties if you can, because you'd like to get a victory in 90 minutes," Southgate said.

"But if we need to go 120 minutes, if we need to go beyond that, then we've got to be ready for that mentally and physically. And I believe we are."

SKY

Gareth Southgate makes just one change to the England side who beat Wales in their final group match.

Bukayo Saka comes in for Marcus Rashford, with Raheem Sterling not available due to family reasons.

England XI: Pickford, Walker, Shaw, Rice, Stones, Maguire, Henderson, Kane, Saka, Foden, Bellingham.

Not sure if I can see them going past France even if they win their game against Senegal today (they are up 1-0 as I type this).

Back