Is it coming home? England's long wait for titles continues...

One player (in this case Jude Bellingham) is carrying them on his back at the moment.

Which to be fair doesn’t make them too different to most of the other teams, who are also relying mainly on one player.

<b>Raheem Sterling: England forward's World Cup future uncertain as he deals with a 'family matter'</b>

Raheem Sterling's future at the World Cup is unclear after he left the squad to deal with a "family matter", said England manager Gareth Southgate.

The 27-year-old was unavailable for Sunday's last-16 match against Senegal.

"He will go and deal with that matter and we will have to take it from there," Southgate told ITV.

"I had quite a bit of time with him this morning but I have had to pass that on to other people to help him with that."

The Chelsea forward started and scored in England's 6-2 win over Iran in their opening group game before being called on again for the 0-0 draw with the United States.

Southgate opted instead to play Marcus Rashford and Phil Foden either side of Harry Kane for England's 3-0 win over Wales.

The England boss has often relied on Sterling during major tournaments; he started all seven of England's Euro 2020 matches.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63854197

Raheem Sterling is leaving the England World Cup squad in Qatar to return to London after armed intruders broke into his home while his family were in.

Manager Gareth Southgate confirmed the news after Sunday's 3-0 last-16 win against Senegal.

"He is going to fly home and obviously family at these moments is the most important thing," Southgate said.

It is understood the incident happened on Saturday night. Sterling has three young children.

"We want to give him that space and we will see over the next few days how that develops," Southgate added.

BBC

Awesome performance by England taking care off Senegal. Now every top side will be after Jude Bellingham after his match winning performance. This doesn't bid well for Liverpool who were considered to be favourites for his signature. France will most likely be a bridge to far for Southgate's boys with Mbappe running circles around their defence. 3-1 to the French from where I am standing.

Rahim Sterling should remain with the boys in what could be a once in a time opportunity to win the World Cup. He can improve his home security from Qatar instead of returning home. Don't see any point in doing to after the incident has occurred.

Awesome performance by England taking care off Senegal. Now every top side will be after Jude Bellingham after his match winning performance. This doesn't bid well for Liverpool who were considered to be favourites for his signature. France will most likely be a bridge to far for Southgate's boys with Mbappe running circles around their defence. 3-1 to the French from where I am standing.

Rahim Sterling should remain with the boys in what could be a once in a time opportunity to win the World Cup. He can improve his home security from Qatar instead of returning home. Don't see any point in doing to after the incident has occurred.

That's because you don't have a wife and kids..they are more important than a world cup..

England can beat France as their defence and goalie are every bit as dodgy as ours.

That's because you don't have a wife and kids..they are more important than a world cup..

England can beat France as their defence and goalie are every bit as dodgy as ours.

Unfortunately for England France are proven champions when it counts they'll win. England were shaky today. France will punish that. Too good.

I do have a wife. Secondly Rahim being at home will do little good now. All he can do is up the security no matter where he is.

Sure Eng have a chance but France start as favourites. Also being Scottish I'll be supporting France:razzaq

The France defence is not any better than the England defence by the way. A midfield of Tchouameni-Rabiot-Griezmann is not any better than one of Rice-Bellingham-Henderson.

The only difference is one side has Mbappe, the other doesn't. Other than that, this is a very tight match-up.

World Cup 2022: England boss Gareth Southgate looking forward to 'acid test' against France

England boss Gareth Southgate praised his side's "ruthless" victory against Senegal that has set up an "acid test" game against defending champions France in the World Cup quarter-finals.

Southgate said facing the two-time world champions will be a "great challenge" for the Three Lions.

The quarter-final takes place on Saturday, 10 December (19:00 GMT).

"We know this is a step up from what we've had so far," said Southgate after Sunday's 3-0 win over Senegal.

"But the team have garnered so much experience in the last few years, they're playing with confidence and we look threatening.

"We're scoring goals and another clean sheet is lovely to see. We're in a good place but we know the level of the opposition as well."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63854309

Jordan Henderson's sweeping finish was not simply the pivotal moment in England's World Cup win over Senegal but a vindication of manager Gareth Southgate's sure touch in team selection.

Henderson has been a lightning conductor for critics ready to poke at Southgate's perceived conservatism, but if one pick showed the England manager's priceless ability to shut out the noise and focus on the requirements of tournament football it was his decision to stick with Liverpool's 32-year-old captain.

Needless to say, the court of social media opinion was vociferous in its condemnation of the choice before the game but Southgate is impervious to such outside influence and Henderson was central to a 3-0 win that sets up a quarter-final with France on Saturday.

When England were struggling against the USA in the group stage, Southgate ignored those of us who felt Manchester City's Phil Foden was the answer and called on Henderson to restore control with his vast experience. He did the job, then did it again in the 3-0 victory that sent Wales home as England topped their group.

Henderson may lack the so-called "X Factor" of many of those around him in England's squad, but as old Liverpool manager Bob Paisley used to say: "You need somebody to carry the piano before anyone else can play it."

This is a quality and team ethic Southgate recognises in Henderson and why he will start again against France. The manner in which he, Jude Bellingham and Declan Rice combine in midfield now looks an unbreakable link.

Southgate said: "Jordan has been outstanding. He's such a leader. He knits the team together and around the camp he's brilliant. His performances have been top drawer."

Henderson's game intelligence does indeed allow those such as Bellingham to flourish and it was significant that the 19-year-old pointed at his more experienced team-mate to demand applause and recognition after they combined for England's first goal.

Former England defender Matthew Upson told BBC Radio 5 Live: "Henderson is the one selection up for debate but not now. The midfield three in this match has been the standout for me. Henderson arrived in the box all the time and he had the freedom to do that knowing Declan Rice was behind him."

Bellingham said: "He was brilliant. I have seen some of the rubbish about him playing. It's ridiculous. He is so underrated technically. He delivered in a big game with a massive goal. I think it's time he gets a bit of respect."

Another of England's young brigade, Foden, added: "Jordan is massive. When someone is not doing something right on the pitch he is quick to tell you off. I don't mind that. He is a leader and a captain of his club and has that in his locker."

Henderson's inclusion was one element of a Southgate team selection that drew plenty of comment in and around Al Bayt Stadium when the team was announced, but those of us who raised an eyebrow - perhaps even two - must accept he got it absolutely spot on.

And respect, too, has to go to Southgate for once again showing a singularity of purpose to stick to what he believed would get the right result.

Marcus Rashford's two goals against Wales might have persuaded other managers to make the populist choice and pick the Manchester United forward but he went back to the bench and Arsenal's Bukayo Saka returned. Foden also kept his place with Raheem Sterling absent dealing with the aftermath of a break-in at his family home in London.

Foden made two goals. Saka scored one. Southgate got it right.

Southgate is now experienced in the art of tournament management after reaching the World Cup semi-final in 2018 and the Euro 2020 final. When they ran out of momentum and were relegated from their Uefa Nations League group, Southgate revealed he had reflected on these struggles and decided it was time to be ruthless.

This is reflected in the teams he is picking. He is shutting out the noise from elsewhere, building his team through the tournament, and that measured approach is producing a group that is a growing threat.

England's midfield triumvirate of Henderson, Rice and Bellingham looks perfectly balanced with the front trio of captain Harry Kane, now only one behind Wayne Rooney's international record of 53 following his goal here, is the ideal fulcrum for Foden and Saka in the wide positions.

It is a telling statistic that England's 12 goals in four games at this World Cup have been scored by eight players as Southgate has manoeuvred his squad expertly.

Southgate now faces another selection conundrum before meeting France, with Kylian Mbappe in sensational form and no doubt noting Harry Maguire's early struggles against Senegalese pace.

Will Southgate risk upsetting the fine balance he has achieved in this England side by utilising an extra defender, using three at the back as insurance and entrusting the pace of Kyle Walker to somehow subdue the jet-heeled Mbappe?

The smart money must surely be on England naming an unchanged side after this comprehensive victory.

It is another pressure point for Southgate and his staff but the reassuring fact for England's fans is that he got the big selection calls right against Senegal. He must be entrusted to do the same again come Saturday night.

BBC

England winger Bukayo Saka says he would be "more than happy" if he is required to take a penalty against France in the World Cup quarter-final.

<b>World Cup 2022: England 'have got credibility now', says manager Gareth Southgate</b>

England are now established as genuine contenders as they prepare to meet World Cup holders France, says manager Gareth Southgate.

England men's solitary major honour came way back at the 1966 World Cup.

But the opinion of the Three Lions has changed since they reached the 2018 World Cup semi-finals and the final of Euro 2020, says Southgate.

"I think there's always been a level of respect for England but I think we've got credibility now," he told the BBC.

"To get to a semi-final then a final, I think the rest of the world believe that England are competitive and they know that we have performed under pressure a lot more in the last few years.

"When I travel around Europe and the world and meet football people, there's definitely a greater appreciation of what we've done."

Under Sven-Goran Eriksson, England reached the quarter-finals at three straight tournaments between 2002 and 2006.

Southgate took charge in 2016 and the Three Lions now have the chance to reach a third straight semi-final for the first time when they face France on Saturday.

"Four years ago we could have talked well but we didn't have actual evidence of winning big matches and going through big nights together as a group," he added.

"I think over this period of time we've had so many of those occasions that now there's less satisfaction with getting to the quarter-finals, there's more desire to go further and there's more evidence that we've come through these nights well. I think for any team that's an important part of growing."

Raheem Sterling missed England's last-16 win over Senegal following a break-in at his family home in Surrey.

The Chelsea forward, 28, flew back from Qatar on Sunday but has now rejoined the squad in Al Wakrah and took part in training on Friday so should be available for selection on Saturday.

"I haven't had chance to sit with him yet," said Southgate.

"We've spoken on the phone and I think he's in a better place in that he feels he can come back in and has had the time he needs to help his family. Whether he's going to have done enough to be involved in the game is a different matter.

"He's had two long flights and missed a lot of training with the team - we're going into the level of game where you need to be fully on it.

"It's great that we've got the option of having him back with us, that he's back with the group, but in terms of involvement for this game, that's a bit more complicated."

Kylian Mbappe was named Best Young Player after scoring four goals when France won the last World Cup, and he is top scorer in Qatar with five.

The pace of England right-back Kyle Walker has been seen as a way of counteracting the threat posed by the Paris St-Germain forward, but Southgate says that England will not focus on containing the 23-year-old.

"It's the same way that we prepare for every team," he said. "You're looking at all the patterns of how they play, the individuals within the team. Are there specifics that need to be highlighted?

"As much as we might highlight Mbappe, we've got to pay due attention to Olivier Giroud and how he gets his goals, and Antoine Griezmann has played over 70 consecutive games for France. There's a clue there in how important he is to them, I think he's a phenomenal player.

"So if we don't go into the detail and the specifics for those particular players in a game at this level then you're not doing your due diligence really."

France coach Didier Deschamps said that Southgate's side "don't have any weaknesses" and highlighted pace as one of their strengths.

"England are very strong in transitions - more than half of their goals have come from quick counter-attacks," he said.

"But they have other qualities too - they have technical ability, the capacity to score goals and ability on set-pieces."

Jordan Pickford is set to win his 50th cap for England on Saturday, after Harry Maguire and Marcus Rashford also reached the milestone in Qatar.

Despite some dips in form, Pickford has been a mainstay in goal under Southgate, who handed the Everton keeper, 28, his England debut in 2017.

"What is the stand-out thing is that he's handled being the England number one really well," said Southgate.

"It's not an easy role to have, there's a lot of focus on it, a lot of spotlight. There have been credible alternatives at certain times that put that position under pressure but he's maintained a really high level of performance for us right through that period.

"It's a fantastic individual achievement," he added.

"There's still only a low number of players that get to 50 caps and to do that you've got to have a decent period of time as an England international.

"For them it's important and that experience for us, you do go through different experiences that England nights and tournaments bring."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63914635

Arsenal and England ace Ben White is alleged to have returned home early from the Three Lions World Cup base in Qatar after a disagreement with Gareth Southgate's assistant Steve Holland.

White hadn't played a single minute for his nation at the tournament before departing the Al Wakrah training base last week, with the Football Association citing personal reasons as the explanation behind his surprise exit just three games in.

However, it has since been reported by the Daily Star that White's premature exit stems from his fall-out with a key member of the coaching staff as well as struggling to fully integrate into the squad off the pitch, leaving him unhappy out in Qatar as a result.

The moment that sealed White's fate reportedly came when he came to verbal blows with Holland in full view of the rest of the squad, with the ill-feeling between the two alleged to have come to a head after the Gunners star arrived for a team meeting before the draw against the USA not knowing vital statistics relating to his own performance in training.

In a similar vein, Holland is also thought to have been let down by White's lack of knowledge on the USA's strengths and weaknesses.

As a result, a mutual decision was made to release White from the squad during what was his first ever World Cup, though his return of zero minutes will almost certainly disappoint the versatile defender who has been in stellar form for his club this term.

Good signs for England as your predictions thus far have been epic :)

I have predicted Argentina to defeat Poland, Mexico, and Netherlands. All came true.

However, I didn't predict Brazil and Spain correctly. I concede that. LOL.

I have predicted Argentina to defeat Poland, Mexico, and Netherlands. All came true.

However, I didn't predict Brazil and Spain correctly. I concede that. LOL.

:) it’s difficult with football.

Anything can happen.

Hopefully not. It would be unbearable, don’t look forward to drunkards and drug abusers causing trouble as usual

Missed out this time :(

A good England team and this was an exciting QF. They had their chances.

France deserved winners.

I expected France to go through and they went through.

But, England played well. Could've been a penalty shootout if not for Harry.

It will never come home when you have Southgate as your manager & Henderson as one of your midfielders.

Southgate is a joke of a manager. You don't select dead ballers like Henderson, Maguire, Mount, Dier in your team and expect to win the world cup. This guy is wasting England's golden generation.

England will not get a better chance to win a World Cup.

France were there for the taking.

Morocco beatable.

Argentina aren't the team they once were.

Croatia are good but not world class.

They could have won this tournament.

Morocco beatable.

They were never going to win. They are the SA of football.

France and Croatia are still the two best teams.

Southgate wouldn't last as club manager in the PL. He should be nowhere near coaching this world class England side. He doesn't know how to utilise the pace and talent in this England team.

He's had 3 chances to win the tournament including one at home against an ageing Italian side who were nothing special. Also, France were there for the taking tonight.

England will never win anything with him in charge. The players have carried him to a WC SF, Euro Final and now a WC QF.

We now need a competent coach who can take us to the next level and win England a Euro or a World Cup.

A lot of hype about this England squad and their chances.

The harsh reality is that France was the first decent team they came up against.

England had the easiest group and one of the weakest last 16 opponents.

Southgate is a joke of a manager. You don't select dead ballers like Henderson, Maguire, Mount, Dier in your team and expect to win the world cup. This guy is wasting England's golden generation.

Southgate was a flop as a club manager, and he's played a blinder keeping the national job so long. He has all the charisma of a dead fish.

The players gave it their all, worked hard but the defensive style of Southgate was always going to hurt England sooner or later. Its only great to be so defensive if you have great defenders, England just dont have them.

Southgate should quit now, need a fresh approach.

My prediction was QF at the best

GS is probably at the best a conference level coach who is Yes man for England hence the reason why he is still the manager.

No tactical subs made even when Kane missed the penalty.

Southgate was a flop as a club manager, and he's played a blinder keeping the national job so long. He has all the charisma of a dead fish.

He is nothing but a yes man for the FA and says all the right things in the media. No wonder the higher-ups at the FA love him.

I very much doubt any club in the premier league would have him as their manager, if he gets the sack tomorrow.

Southgate wouldn't last as club manager in the PL. He should be nowhere near coaching this world class England side. He doesn't know how to utilise the pace and talent in this England team.

He's had 3 chances to win the tournament including one at home against an ageing Italian side who were nothing special. Also, France were there for the taking tonight.

England will never win anything with him in charge. The players have carried him to a WC SF, Euro Final and now a WC QF.

We now need a competent coach who can take us to the next level and win England a Euro or a World Cup.

It's over lad.

Like Pakistan in the last 2 WCs pure choke jobs.

What does this chant even mean? What does it mean coming home? Were they the first to win? Have they won most # of times? I don’t get what’s the logic for this chant? England didn't even host the first wc..

Last edited:
The way commentary were crying even before the penalty miss was beautiful :))

England are serial bottlers, they will never win the Euros or World Cup, Southgate or no Southgate. A bunch of spoilt brats supported by imbeciles

England are serial bottlers, they will never win the Euros or World Cup, Southgate or no Southgate. A bunch of spoilt brats supported by imbeciles

Man tbh they(the players no supporters) are humble “compared” to other footballers around the world but I feel that itself is a reason they lose, they don’t ever seem they can take on big opposition players and always seem mellow.

What does this chant even mean? What does it mean coming home? Were they the first to win? Have they won most # of times? I don’t get what’s the logic for this chant? England didn't even host the first wc..

It's coming home = World Cup is coming to England.

Home = England.

There was a song about Football's coming home. Home as in England is the home of Football.

It will never come home when you have Southgate as your manager & Henderson as one of your midfielders.

As if it ever came home without Southgate. Eng are not good enough. End of.

Morocco beatable.

Could have, would have.

Another virtue signaling side eliminated. Enjoy the flight home lads.

Played well today. game against France was always going to be 50-50. We played better than them.
Credit to France for getting it done.
Always Penalty heartache one way or another

Before I write this I need to confess that i do like Gareth and for the first time England have a team that is semi-likeable.

Given the history of English players, managers and over hyped media that is just as big an achievement as a world cup win.

However the sad reality is that England are, and never have been a major footballing nation. Their fans are deluded and proclaim every generation to be a golden generation and when they inevitably fail then the knives are out for everyone - the host country, the referee, unfamiliar conditions, tactics and the managers.

There is never the belief that perhaps the players just aren't good enough. England today lined up against a France side that were missing some huge players. I don't know how they would have lined up but for someone who only casually follows french football, missing players like Benzema, Pogba, N'Golo Kante and perhaps even Kimpembe seems like a team with a massive hole in the middle.

Yet France still triumphed.

England just don't have it in them to win knockout world cup games.

Here is an interesting stat for you.

Teams England have beaten in knockout World Cup ties since '66: Paraguay, Belgium (1990 version), Cameroon, Denmark, Ecuador, Colombia, Sweden & Senegal

Croatian wins since 1998: Germany, Romania, Denmark, Russia, England, Japan, Brazil

Morocco since last week: Spain, Portugal

Don't let the intensity of the premier league fool you that English players can hack it on the world stage.

This time however they have some wonderfully talented young players and I do think some of these players will step up and drag England to a major tournament at some point in the next 10-12 years.

We are a conflicted nation. We build our vote base on Brexit and keeping immigrants out, but then we expect loyalty from the sons of those immigrants when it comes to sport. Unfotunately, without immigration we will revert back to cave and village life as a backwater nation.Nothing wrong with that, but are we ready for it?

Ah lol.. home of football wow ok lol , clearly it doesn’t want to come home.

England beat Germany in the women's Euros this year. So technically it did come home. However its debatable who invented Football. Some say England, others say China.

The modern game was codified in England, however forms of Football have existed for thousands of years.

Before I write this I need to confess that i do like Gareth and for the first time England have a team that is semi-likeable.

Given the history of English players, managers and over hyped media that is just as big an achievement as a world cup win.

However the sad reality is that England are, and never have been a major footballing nation. Their fans are deluded and proclaim every generation to be a golden generation and when they inevitably fail then the knives are out for everyone - the host country, the referee, unfamiliar conditions, tactics and the managers.

Talk about major exaggeration. England is usually one of the top teams. Maybe you can argue they are below the Brazil, Germany, Italy tier. However its hard to say they are not a top 10 football nation.

England beat Germany in the women's Euros this year. So technically it did come home. However its debatable who invented Football. Some say England, others say China.

The modern game was codified in England, however forms of Football have existed for thousands of years.

Women's Euro? I didn't know that was a thing.

I agree. I also feel England were always overrated.

Apart from that 1966 world title, they haven't won anything else. They have never won an EURO trophy; even Denmark has one.

<b>Meanings behind the song “Three Lions” (It’s Coming Home)</b>

The song title refers to the three lions on the England team crest. The chorus lyric, "it's coming home", reflected the fact that the Euro 96 competition was the first football competition England had hosted since the 1966 FIFA World Cup but has evolved to include the concept of the cup returning to the homeland of the sport.

Unlike those of most football songs, the lyrics speak not of unbounded optimism for victory but instead of how, since England's victory in the 1966 FIFA World Cup, every tournament has ended in dashed hopes. However, the failures have not dampened the feeling that England could succeed again ("Three lions on a shirt / Jules Rimet still gleaming / Thirty years of hurt / never stopped me dreaming"). The song was "really about magical thinking. About assuming we are going to lose, reasonably, based on experience, but hoping that somehow we won't.”

Despite the failures of the past, each tournament is greeted with fresh hopes that this might be the year they do it again: "I know that was then, but it could be again", and the song's chorus proclaimed that "It's coming home, it's coming home, it's coming, football's coming home" which refers, like the tournament's slogan, "Football comes home", to the invention of the modern game in England.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Lions

— — — — —

It’s really a self mocking and self aware anthem, as well as a happy one for the fans. :)

A lot of hype about this England squad and their chances.

The harsh reality is that France was the first decent team they came up against.

England had the easiest group and one of the weakest last 16 opponents.

Interesting isn’t it.

English players are very talented and able. The FIFA rankings (group stage opponents) and the African Cup of Nations Holders (last 16 opponents) in fact suggest that England had one of the statistically harder paths to the QF in this World Cup, and that there were many weaker teams which England did not have the privilege of facing pre-France.

But the moment England come up against a top tier side in a knockout game, they just never seem to mentally get over the line. Despite arguably being capable of beating the opponent.

There is always a narrative around the likes of skying penalties, missing clear scoring opportunities, goalkeeping errors (etc). And again last night. We know that England’s players are good. I think it is largely a psychological failing to be honest. The penalty stuff points towards this for sure.

The England national team needs to employ 1 or 2 world class psychologists.

I also think that the English players have been moulded over time into Gareth Southgate’s “nice guy” image, and have become too “humble” and “decent”. We need some nastiness and competitiveness back for more of these crunch knockout games in the future. As well as an elite level coach on a tactical level.

This might, one day, just about take us over the line in these extremely pressurised knockout games and tournament atmospheres.

Therefore, my top choice for Gareth’s replacement would be Thomas Tuchel. He’s a free agent, available for the job straight away, and he has hinted in the past that he would want to do it.

Pay Thomas whatever he asks for. He is passionate, gritty, a winner, and he fits the above skillset profile.

One thing is to not be good enough to get to the semis or finals, but the players are consistently under huge preassure from fans and media. Being the home of argueably the best football league there is extra preassure on the players. And I don’t think that will be changing anytime soon. The players need support to get stronger mentally and should not think so much about consequences of crashing out of the tournaments.

The quality and money of PL will make sure England will keep producing good players and sooner or later they will win a major tournament again.

As if it ever came home without Southgate. Eng are not good enough. End of.

This is the most talented England squad in the last 50+ years. Unlike previous English sides, it is actually capable of winning trophies.

England’s situation is a bit like Belgium - somewhat of a golden generation but the keys were handed over to an inept manager.

Harry Kane has taken responsibility for England's World Cup quarter-final exit at the hands of France, saying: "I will take it on the chin and of course it hurts now, and it will hurt for a long time, but that's part of being captain and a leader in the team."

Having reached the semi-finals in 2018 and then finishing runners-up at last year's European Championship, Gareth Southgate's men were confident of a ticket to the semi-final.

Despite going behind to an early first-half goal, England pulled level through a Kane penalty but Olivier Giroud put the French back in front.

Kane had a further chance to equalise from the penalty spot but blazed over the bar, prompting many fans to put their head in their hands and watch on in silence.

His miss came with just seven minutes of normal time remaining, ending in an agonising 2-1 loss for the Three Lions.

"It is a really tough night to take," Kane said in the aftermath of defeat.

"I'm gutted, the team are gutted. We had full belief that we could achieve something special at this World Cup but it came down to small details."

He continued: "I thought on the night we had the better chances and better spells in the game. It comes down to execution. As captain, I take it on the chin and responsibility missing the penalty.

"It is hard to take for sure but I can be proud of the group, proud of each other for what we've done. This will hurt for a while but we will dust ourselves down to get ready in the future."

Southgate said Kane should not blame himself for his penalty miss, saying: "For me, we win and lose as a team.

"We have let a couple of goals in and missed a few chances.

"He has been incredible for us and is so reliable for us in those situations.

"We wouldn't be here but for the number of goals he has scored for us."

Despite the heartbreak England have been told to hold their "heads high".

Rishi Sunak, the prime minister, said the team "gave it everything" but it "wasn't meant to be", while Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer said England deserved to win the game and the result was "absolutely gutting".

The Prince and Princess of Wales said they were "so proud" of the squad and staff.

After the game, William tweeted: "Gareth, Harry and the whole England squad and staff, gutted for all of you.

"You put so much into this tournament and we are all so proud of you. Heads held high and on to the next one!"

Southgate, 52, is contracted until after the European Championship in 2024 but was non-committal on his future as manager.

"I think whenever I finish these tournaments, I've needed time to make correct decisions," he said.

"Emotionally you go through so many different feelings. The energy it takes through these tournaments is enormous.

"I want to make the right decision, whatever that is for the team, for England, for the FA. I've got to be sure whatever decision I make is the right one.

"I think it's right to take time to do that because I know in the past my feelings have fluctuated in the immediate aftermath of tournaments."

Kane insisted England's players are in full support of their boss, saying: "We love having Gareth as a manager."

He added: "We want him to stay for sure but that's his decision. I am sure he will go away and think about that.

"We've got a great team, great young players, players coming into their prime and we've got a Euros not too far away. As much as this hurts, we have to move on and look forward to that."

SKY

The FIFA rankings (group stage opponents) and the African Cup of Nations Holders (last 16 opponents) in fact suggest that England had one of the statistically harder paths to the QF in this World Cup, and that there were many weaker teams which England did not have the privilege of facing pre-France.

USA, Iran and Wales - that was the easiest group by a country mile of any of the 8 groups.

Regarding Senegal, they were missing Mane and Idrissa Gueye - their 2 best players.

England had a very easy route to the quarter-finals.

Last edited:
Who would be Southgate's replacement is more the tricky issues. If the manager not many great options. One day perhaps Eddie Howe or Graham Potter but they aren't ready yet. Perhaps go Northern Irish with Rodgers.

I wanted England to win, but Kane missing the penalty was poetic justice for his silly protest antics at the start of the tournament.

Jude Bellingham tells fans to 'stick with us' as England team begin journey home from World Cup

On a despondent morning for England players, Jude Bellingham had a final message for fans before heading to a flight out of Qatar.

"Stick with us," the 19-year-old told Sky News outside the team hotel at Souq Al Wakra, where one family of supporters gathered on a beach-side street.

There was no big farewell photo outside, with players departing separately - some in small groups in taxis, others on the team coach.

Checking out a week before the end of tournaments is now unfamiliar for England.

Their quarter-final exit at the hands of France was agonising, with Harry Kane missing a penalty having already scored one in the 2-1 defeat to the World Cup holders.

A trip to a third consecutive tournament semi-final under Gareth Southgate was denied.

Now the manager is deliberating whether to stay to try to qualify for Euro 2024 after six years in charge.

"I want to make the right decision," Southgate said after the match but was silent as he boarded the coach at the hotel.

Mark Bullingham, chief executive of the FA, also did not say anything before boarding a coach and a written statement did not touch on Southgate's future.
Advertisement

"This is a very exciting young English squad and, despite the intense disappointment of last night, they should be very proud of their performances in Qatar," he said.

"We are incredibly proud of Gareth, the players, the coaches and the support team and appreciate all the hard work they put in."

But it was Kane who said he would take responsibility for the team crashing out of World Cup 2022.

In a tweet this morning, the England captain said he was "absolutely gutted".

"We've given it everything and it's come down to a small detail which I take responsibility for.

"There's no hiding from it, it hurts and it'll take some time to get over it but that's part of sport.

"Now it's about using the experience to be mentally and physically stronger for the next challenge."

He thanks fans for their support during the tournament, saying "it means a lot".

SKY

USA, Iran and Wales - that was the easiest group by a country mile of any of the 8 groups.

Regarding Senegal, they were missing Mane and Idrissa Gueye - their 2 best players.

England had a very easy route to the quarter-finals.

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/sports/2022/11/15/world-cup-2022-all-the-groups-ranked-by-difficulty

1. Group B: England, USA, Iran, Wales
The toughest group of all due to the average world ranking of 15 and a spread of just 15 places. It is also the tightest and most competitive.

Talk about major exaggeration. England is usually one of the top teams. Maybe you can argue they are below the Brazil, Germany, Italy tier. However its hard to say they are not a top 10 football nation.

Maybe 10-15 when it comes to major tournaments.

They have blown almost every opportunity they have been given.

In my lifetime I can quite easily say that Brazil, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Argentina, Uruguay, France, Belgium and Croatia have comfortably been better.

They are already behind those teams and then you throw into the mix some teams that get a sudden burst of spirit and go deep into tournaments from out of nowhere like Greece in the Euros, South Korea in their home world cup, Turkey and Morocco in this world cup, and English football is way down the pecking order.

I think internationally they belong in the same pot as the current Dutch team and the likes of Sweden, Denmark, Poland etc.

The current lot are quite talented, particularly Saka, Rice, Bellingham and Foden so perhaps they will go further.

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/sports/2022/11/15/world-cup-2022-all-the-groups-ranked-by-difficulty

1. Group B: England, USA, Iran, Wales
The toughest group of all due to the average world ranking of 15 and a spread of just 15 places. It is also the tightest and most competitive.

I don't need to look at any rankings to know that England had the easiest group of all.

I mean USA, Iran and Wales - hardly world-beaters.

Most groups had 2 very good teams, some had 3. England's group was very weak.

Interesting isn’t it.

English players are very talented and able. The FIFA rankings (group stage opponents) and the African Cup of Nations Holders (last 16 opponents) in fact suggest that England had one of the statistically harder paths to the QF in this World Cup, and that there were many weaker teams which England did not have the privilege of facing pre-France.

But the moment England come up against a top tier side in a knockout game, they just never seem to mentally get over the line. Despite arguably being capable of beating the opponent.

There is always a narrative around the likes of skying penalties, missing clear scoring opportunities, goalkeeping errors (etc). And again last night. We know that England’s players are good. I think it is largely a psychological failing to be honest. The penalty stuff points towards this for sure.

I also think that the English players have been moulded over time into Gareth Southgate’s “nice guy” image, and have become too “humble” and “decent”. We need some nastiness and competitiveness back for more of these crunch knockout games in the future. As well as an elite level coach on a tactical level.

This might, one day, just about take us over the line in these extremely pressurised knockout games and tournament atmospheres.

Therefore, my top choice for Gareth’s replacement would be Thomas Tuchel. He’s a free agent, available for the job straight away, and he has hinted in the past that he would want to do it.

Pay Thomas whatever he asks for. He is passionate, gritty, a winner, and he fits the above skillset profile.

As a bit of a neutral - I think this is the best thing that has happened to them and they should build on this.

Previously English nastiness and competitiveness pretty much quickly descended into petulance, infighting between the golden generation and condoning loutish behaviour.

The team went off the rails pretty quickly.

Gareth seems to have done a good job and developing a united culture in the set up, which is no mean feat given the events of the recent past. However, i do agree that it's time to let someone else take over and push them in another direction.

Not sure whether Thomas would want it. I think he would be guaranteed another top level club job in the near future.

I would love to see someone like Eddie Howe given the reigns but sadly he is still at an early stage in the Newcastle project which could be a 6-7 year role for him.

At the moment Pochetino is the bookies favourite but I have heard Stevie G and Rooney are also available :inti

Interesting isn’t it.

Spot on. I also feel England have lost their competitive edge under Southgate. We saw it against Italy in the final as well. They did everything possible to disrupt England whenever they were in dangerous areas of the pitch.

More importantly, Southgate doesn't know how to utilise the talent and pace that he has at his disposal. On Paper, I'd say only France are superior to England from all the sides in Europe. He wouldn't be a success at any PL club so it's astonishing how he's been able to keep his job for so long. He's had 3 chances to win a Euro or World Cup and squandered every single one of them.

Gareth Southgate is basically the Misbah of the footballing world. Comes across as a nice guy but tactically clueless.

Tbh Kane has missed some penalties in PL, so ideally a young player should have taken the 2nd penalty, didn't they discussed it in pregame meetings, also players like Grealish are not utilized by Southgate its a waste the defensive.duo of Stones and Maguire was also suspect, Walker has played as center back in PL, so AA might be paired with him or in a more adventurous way Saka as Wingback, Southgate is very textbook don't think that 4-3-3 got the best out of England

I don't agree with all of this great performance, unlucky lads, blame the ref chat.

They lost to a France team missing 4 or 5 high quality players, first-choice players.

<b>World Cup viewing figures: 19.4m UK viewers watch England crash out</b>

England's defeat to France in Qatar was watched by an average UK audience of 19.4 million viewers, TV figures showed.

A peak five-minute audience of 21.31 million people tuned in to ITV (and +1) to watch the end of the World Cup 2022 quarter-final match on Saturday.

England crashed out of the tournament after losing 2-1 to France.

Some people may have watched on other services such as ITVX, which are not reflected in the Barb rating figures.

The five-minute peak of 21.31 million was the most-watched single channel TV moment of 2022 so far.

The most-watched overall TV moment this year was during the Queen Elizabeth II's funeral in September, when a peak audience of 28 million people tuned in.

There are several measures of TV viewing figures and broadcasters can also release statistics for peak one-minute viewing, which often reflect the highest viewing numbers.

The Three Lions were pictured looking solemn on Sunday as they headed back to the UK following their defeat.

Captain Harry Kane said on Twitter he was "absolutely gutted" after missing a penalty that would have meant England would have levelled up 2-2 to France.

He also scored an earlier penalty which took England to 1-1 after France took an early lead in the game when Aurélien Tchouaméni scored in the 17th minute.

Millions of fans have tuned in to watch England throughout the winter World Cup.

An average UK audience of 7.4 million people watched England beat Iran 6-2 in their first match on BBC One on Monday 21 November, according to Barb.

And an average UK audience of 16.59 million TV viewers tuned in for England's 3-0 win over Wales on BBC One on Tuesday 29 November.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63933748

English fans are really forgiving of their majority white team led by Harry Kane.

So many English fans on social media are making excuses for Harry Kane and the silly substitution of their manager.

Maybe that’s why they are tier below the top European teams that have so many trophies.

opJlL7B.png

Anyone excited about the England Women's final against Spain?

The King has sent his own message to Sarina Wiegman and her troops ahead of tomorrow’s World Cup Final, urging them to "roar to victory."

The Lionesses are preparing for England’s first appearance in any world final since 1966 in the morning when they will play European rivals Spain in Sydney.

Earlier today Prince William - President of the Football Association - and his eight-year-old daughter Princess Charlotte shared a message of support on their social media accounts.

Their goodwill messages have now been added to by the King. He said: "Good luck today Lionesses, and may you roar to victory."

Earlier heir William, who is not travelling to Australia for England's clash with Spain, posted a video to X, formerly Twitter . He said: “Lionesses, we want to send you a huge good luck for tomorrow.

“We’re sorry we can’t be there in person, but we’re so proud of everything you’ve achieved and the millions you’ve inspired here and around the world. So go out there tomorrow and really enjoy yourselves.”

Another not making the 10,000 mile journey is Prime Minister Rishi Sunak, who had instead dispatched Foreign Secretary James Cleverly and Culture Secretary Lucy Frazer to Australia to represent the UK Government. He has, however, written a letter.

Addressed to England manager Sarina Wiigman, the PM wrote: “On behalf of the entire country, I want to wish you the best of luck against Spain in the World Cup final. Once again, this summer, you’ve made us all proud.

“From beating the Aussies in their own backyard to winning that penalty shoot-out, you have inspired us with your skill, teamwork and courage. This weekend, like millions of others, I will be watching and cheering you on.

England's wait to win a first Women's World Cup title goes on following defeat by Spain in the final on a heartbreaking evening in Sydney.

The Lionesses, looking to become the first England senior side since the men's team in 1966 to win the World Cup, were outplayed by a Spanish side full of flair and creativity.

Spain captain Olga Carmona slotted the winner past goalkeeper Mary Earps in the first half, after England's Lucy Bronze lost possession in midfield.

England manager Sarina Wiegman, who has now lost two successive World Cup finals, introduced Lauren James and Chloe Kelly at half-time but Spain maintained control despite the Lionesses' best efforts.

Goalkeeper Earps made several stunning saves, including one from the penalty spot to deny Jenni Hermoso after Barcelona midfielder Keira Walsh had been penalised for handball following a lengthy video assistant referee review.

But it was one step too far for the European champions, who lost just their second match in two years under Wiegman.

Spain are crowned champions for the first time despite going into the tournament under a cloud of controversy following a dispute between players and the Spanish football federation.

Bbc

Back