Is the reunification of West Pakistan (now Pakistan) and East Pakistan (now Bangladesh) practically possible?

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
I hold a personal desire for the reunification of Pakistan and East Pakistan (now Bangladesh), akin to the unity of East and West Germany. Despite acknowledging the historical complexities surrounding their separation in 1971, my wish is rooted in a sentimental longing for a shared past.

Reflecting on the reunification of East and West Germany in 1990, one can draw inspiration from diplomatic initiatives, grassroots movements, and a changing global landscape. The desire for unity among the German people and a shift in political dynamics played pivotal roles in this historic event.

To envision a possible reunification of East and West Pakistan, comprehensive approaches are essential. Open dialogue, acknowledgment of historical grievances, fostering mutual understanding, and addressing issues such as governance, cultural identity, and economic collaboration should be key components. International mediation, regional cooperation, and a shared commitment to peaceful negotiations could pave the way for a reunification process. It's crucial to respect the sovereignty and aspirations of both nations, ensuring that any discussions prioritize the well-being and consent of the people involved.

What do you all think about it?

It's impossible. Why is this even a question? There is zero desire on both sides for reunification.

That would put Bangladesh backwards. Economically they are doing so much better than Pakistan.

The only advantage Pakistan had is it armed forces and the nukes.

I am a Bangladeshi.

I personally support an Islamic super-state like the Ottoman Empire. I would support Bangladesh joining that.

But, joining Pakistan or another country is pointless at this point. I don't think either country would benefit from it. It is better for Pakistan and Bangladesh to work together as allies instead of joining.

Muslim countries (including Pakistan and Bangladesh) have enemies. We should improve our militaries and economies and be prepared for enemies.

Just look at what Israel is doing in Gaza/West Bank. Americans also destroyed Iraq, Libya, and Syria like this. All Muslim countries should be prepared and work as allies.

Enemies want us divided and weak. That's how they broke Ottoman Empire. Muslim world hasn't been the same since then.

Why would they. They may have their own mafias but surely it won't be as terrible and murdered as ours.

Bangladeshi people opinion has changed significantly since the start of this decade. They have now a favorable opinion regarding Pakistan and same is true Vice versa. They may not want to reunite again with Pakistan but certainly they do want strong relations with Pakistan.

No. It is better for both sides that there is no reunification. Many Bangladeshis were unjustly martyred by Pakistan army, it would be a real injustice to their memory if all is forgotten and hard won freedoms are just given back.

I am a Bangladeshi.

I personally support an Islamic super-state like the Ottoman Empire. I would support Bangladesh joining that.

But, joining Pakistan or another country is pointless at this point. I don't think either country would benefit from it. It is better for Pakistan and Bangladesh to work together as allies instead of joining.
Yes, my basic idea is to get united under one flag and let East Pakistan be an autonomous state. I think so because we share the same history. If you look at the history of the Muslim League, it was formed in Dhaka on 30th December 1906, and most of the leaders of the Muslim League were from East Pakistan. Most prominent leaders are Abul Kasem Fazlul Huq and Huseyn Shaheed Suhrawardy.

I feel it as a personal loss, the loss of East Pakistan. I went to Mangla Dam in Pakistan and saw a monument there. The wording was stated in both languages, Urdu and Bengali. So it was mesmerizing.

Except for Awami League supporters, I think there are still people in Bangladesh who, in their hearts, feel East Pakistan is still alive.

It's impossible. Why is this even a question? There is zero desire on both sides for reunification.
not a zero desire for sure but yeah with such pathatic economy of pakistan, bangladesh will never want to be a part of this mess again.

Hell no.
We would have a huge population problem

It is never going to happen. It was always strange this kind of partition when we have to travel over 2000KM to from one part of a country to another and all this traveling is going to be from India.

I am a Bangladeshi.

Who do you think should become the caliph?

Why would Bangladesh want to join a sinking ship? And before someone calls me a hater, isn't it true what I said?

Pakistan getting back with Bangladesh is just a dream. The governments of both sides are not even thinking about discussing this topic let alone it becoming a reality. Bangladesh has been more successful than Pakistan, economy-wise so I do not think they would ever want to be unified with Pakistan again. Population problem, traveling? Not possible

Historic Bengal was reasonably large. Bangladesh got robbed by British Empire.

Even some parts of Myanmar should've gone to Bangladesh (Rohingyas, for example).

Hindus of Bengal fought to keep the Hindu majority areas out of East Pakistan. It was called the Bengali Hindu Homeland Movement. So no, the British didn't rob East Pakistan.

Why should Myanmarese territory be given to Bangladesh?

You must understand that just because Arakan has a huge muslim population doesn't mean it should be part of BD.

Hindus of Bengal fought to keep the Hindu majority areas out of East Pakistan. It was called the Bengali Hindu Homeland Movement. So no, the British didn't rob East Pakistan.

Why should Myanmarese territory be given to Bangladesh?

You must understand that just because Arakan has a huge muslim population doesn't mean it should be part of BD.

I meant in 1947. When British Empire divided all these.

Arakan region should've gone to Bangladesh. Rohingyas are Bengalis.

I meant in 1947. When British Empire divided all these.

Arakan region should've gone to Bangladesh. Rohingyas are Bengalis.

Myanmar was not up for division. Its a separate entity altogether.

In 1947 only Hindu Bengalis started the movement to divide Bengal and keep the Hindu majority areas separate from east Pakistan.

In 1947 only Hindu Bengalis started the movement to divide Bengal and keep the Hindu majority areas separate from east Pakistan.

Myanmar was under British Empire too. They became free in 1948.

A portion of Myanmar's southern area should've gone to Bangladesh.

Myanmar was under British Empire too. They became free in 1948.

A portion of Myanmar's southern area should've gone to Bangladesh.

There were many countries under the British Empire. How does that matter?

Myanmar was a separate entity. Always was. Just because some people from Eastern Part of Bengal migrated there doesn't make it a part of East Pakistan.

Tommorow will you say that since a large number of people from Bangladesh have managed to settle down in lower Assam it should become a part of Bangladesh?

That's not how things are done.

Btw on this very topic, Rohingyas started a separatist movement in Myanmar in 1940s and wanted a separate muslim country. That movement became a violent movement over the years. That's the beginning of the current Rohingya issue.

If you consider Rohingya as Bengali why isn't BD taking all of them in. Wasn't East Pakistan the land of Muslim Bengalis?

What are you talking about? It didn't happen in 1947. The decision to split Bengal came in July and by October 16, 1905, Bengal had been divided into Piston Bengal and Assam (with a population of 31 million) and the rest of Bengal (with a population of the 4 million of who 18 million were Bengalis, and 36 million Biharis and Oriyas).

What are you talking about? It didn't happen in 1947. The decision to split Bengal came in July and by October 16, 1905, Bengal had been divided into Piston Bengal and Assam (with a population of 31 million) and the rest of Bengal (with a population of the 4 million of who 18 million were Bengalis, and 36 million Biharis and Oriyas).

Read 1947 Partition of Bengal.

Why can't sovereign Bangladesh and Pakistan develop close ties and work together without unification? And the land masses are separated by more than 1000 kms. How can two entities so far apart ever be unified?
Acquiring other's lands, expanding the countries, forming empires based on identity or religion and other archaic and silly ideas can come into the minds of only backward thinkers and intellectual dwarfs

Get over it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why can't sovereign Bangladesh and Pakistan develop close ties and work together without unification? And the land masses are separated by more than 1000 kms. How can two entities so far apart ever be unified?
Acquiring other's lands, expanding the countries, forming empires based on identity or religion and other archaic and silly ideas can come into the minds of only backward thinkers and intellectual dwarfs

Get over it.
Both countries are not fostering closer ties because of Bangladesh's pro-Indian dictator, Sheikh Hasina Wajid. Because her politics depend on Anti Pakistan policies.

east and west germany were linguistically, culturally and ethnically the same people, plus west germany paid a huge price to reunify the country, and the splitting of the country was done by external mandate as the price they paid for losing world war 2. germany pre splitting had a very strong national administrative set up, and even then the economic price of reunification was huge.

east and west pakistan split up because eastern pakistanis wanted independence from western pakistanis who viewed themselves as racially superior.

Imagine this from the Bangladeshi perspective, what's the benefit of seeking unification with a country that's so far away? Apart from second dibs on the nuke button and decent place bowlers, literally every other aspect Bangladesh will simply pick up tabs for Pakistan's burgeoning liabilities.

From the Pakistan perspective the immediate priority is to ensure Balochistan doesn't turn into another Bangladesh. There's a lot left to be desired when it comes to fully realising the potential of the nation as it is currently. Let's get there first before asking Bangladesh's hand for an alliance.

I am not sure about reunification but I am seeing many Bangladeshis and Pakistanis marrying each other lately (at least here in Canada).

Moeen Ali's wife is a Bangladeshi. 2 of my Bangladeshi ex-classmates now have Pakistani spouses. I also know a few Bangladeshi neighbors with Pakistani spouses.

I think only practical way for reunification is to conduct a referendum in both countries. If both vote "Yes", it can be possible. But, that doesn't seem to be a priority for either country currently. Both countries have far bigger internal issues to deal with.

Why would Bangladesh want to join a sinking ship? And before someone calls me a hater, isn't it true what I said?

Isn't it Bangladesh which is in danger of rising sea levels which may lead to flooding in the near future? Just seems an odd turn of phrase to use sinking ships given that future uncertainty.

Isn't it Bangladesh which is in danger of rising sea levels which may lead to flooding in the near future? Just seems an odd turn of phrase to use sinking ships given that future uncertainty.

This is true. Bangladesh may lose a significant amount of land within the next few hundred years (due to rising sea levels). Not just Bangladesh but also many other countries may get affected.

I am not sure about reunification but I am seeing many Bangladeshis and Pakistanis marrying each other lately (at least here in Canada).

Moeen Ali's wife is a Bangladeshi. 2 of my Bangladeshi ex-classmates now have Pakistani spouses. I also know a few Bangladeshi neighbors with Pakistani spouses.

I think only practical way for reunification is to conduct a referendum in both countries. If both vote "Yes", it can be possible. But, that doesn't seem to be a priority for either country currently. Both countries have far bigger internal issues to deal with.
Also people from both countries have come really close owing to Indian atrocities on Muslims in India and also BJP government & modi reign in India is another factor that has moved ppl of bangladesh away from India and close to Pakistan.

That's exciting to hear about marriages between Pakistanis and Bangladeshis. It can help bring both nations closer."

Yes, a referendum is one way out, but practically, it's not possible for now. The only way for now is to demolish dictatorship in Bangladesh. And there should be duty free trade between the two countries for economic harmony and visa free traveling for both sides.

there not a million miles away once u change the common langauge, which is the case for second gen immigrants, i doubt there would be much migration or inter marriage between pakistani and bangladeshis still resident in those countries.

a lot of bangladeshis have a surprsingly positive view of pakistanis despite their shared history.

That's exciting to hear about marriages between Pakistanis and Bangladeshis. It can help bring both nations closer."

Yes, a referendum is one way out, but practically, it's not possible for now. The only way for now is to demolish dictatorship in Bangladesh. And there should be duty free trade between the two countries for economic harmony and visa free traveling for both sides.
Dictatorship In Bangladesh? I would say they probably hold elections better than Pakistan has in it’s history.

Bangladeshis and Pakistanis are closer because of religion and irrespective of what happens this will always be the case.

Indian Dharmic religions will never come under one umbrella because Dravidian and Khalistani movements and maybe that can end up being a good thing or bad time will tell.

I have noticed this quite a bit recently too in the UK.

I have noticed this quite a bit recently too in the UK.

Not just Bangladeshi/Pakistan, you also get inter-marriages with Arabs and Iranians. In non-Muslim countries religion is still more important than nationality as most Muslims still want their kids to be brought up Muslim. There are also those who will marry out altogether quite happily because they are not religious, and they get assimilated fully into whatever culture is prevailing locally at the time.

I have noticed that in the last few years the stress between these two has decreased and they have begun to respect each other.

Reunification may be quite difficult for now but at least we can develop brotherly relations to support each other and groom their economies

Did they form Bangladesh for Sheikh Hasina to rule forever?
Well prior to that it was the loot, rape and killing by the establishment. Sheikh Hasina ain't perfect but in comparison she's a far better option. There's no way Bangladesh would have been a thriving economy had it been establishment run from Islamabad!

Is the thread about alleged Bangladesh dictatorship?

It is not alleged. It is an unofficial dictatorship.

During current election, opposition (BNP) has boycotted it because Awami League was arresting and intimidating opposition leaders.

Both Pakistan and Bangladesh are currently ruled by corrupt politicians. Common people of Bangladesh and Pakistan are suffering.

Even if the hypothetical reunification takes place, I doubt much will change for common people (either side).

It is not alleged. It is an unofficial dictatorship.

During current election, opposition (BNP) has boycotted it because Awami League was arresting and intimidating opposition leaders.
Literally your players are the MPs as well. You have supported Erdogan on multiple occasions and he has similar accusations against him.

Literally your players are the MPs as well. You have supported Erdogan on multiple occasions and he has similar accusations against him.

I am a Bangladeshi. I am sure I know more about my native country's situation than you do.

BTW, check out these links:

1) https://www.voanews.com/a/report-bangladesh-arrests-8-000-opposition-activists/7342274.html
2) https://www.voanews.com/a/six-bangladesh-opposition-activists-die-in-custody/7404479.html
3) https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...kdown-election-sheikh-hasina-awami-league-bnp
4) https://twitter.com/bdbnp78
5) https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...h-election-puts-democracy-and-us-ties-at-risk.

Most people in Bangladesh support BNP. Awami League is mostly supported by oldies.

Bangladeshi people have nothing in common with Pakistani people other than religion.
In fact racially Bangladeshi people have more in common with South Indians and Srilankans.

It will just lead to another civil war if they reunite. I don’t think A Punjabi or Pathan will accept a Bangladeshi as their leader. May be things have changed now.good luck. 🤞

Both Pakistan and Bangladesh are currently ruled by corrupt politicians. Common people of Bangladesh and Pakistan are suffering.

Even if the hypothetical reunification takes place, I doubt much will change for common people (either side).
Well it's different because the PTI leadership in Pakistan might be jailed and oppressed but they're willing to contest the elections and confident of winning the popular mandate. Precisely why the establishment is hell bent on postponing the elections.

The BNP on the other hand is akin to Shakibs captaincy, if you don't like the umpires decision, hue cry and forfeit the match. BNP will see simply not contest and find it easier to boycott the elections. The typical mentality of throwing the toys out of the pram if a decision isn't in BNPs favour.

Imagine if the Republicans boycotting the next elections because Trump could be imprisoned?!

Well it's different because the PTI leadership in Pakistan might be jailed and oppressed but they're willing to contest the elections and confident of winning the popular mandate. Precisely why the establishment is hell bent on postponing the elections.

The BNP on the other hand is akin to Shakibs captaincy, if you don't like the umpires decision, hue cry and forfeit the match. BNP will see simply not contest and find it easier to boycott the elections. The typical mentality of throwing the toys out of the pram if a decision isn't in BNPs favour.

Imagine if the Republicans boycotting the next elections because Trump could be imprisoned?!

BNP boycotted because Awami League has been rigging elections anyway. Even if BNP participated, Awami League would've won because of vote riggings. Awami League has been making opposition leaders disappear/arrested.

I have seen examples of vote riggings on Facebook. These are getting circulated.

In a nutshell, Bangladesh has been a one party state for quite a while now. There hasn't been a proper election since 2008.

I would like to Quote Ghalib Here

hamko ma’aloom hai jannat ki haqeeqat lekin, dil ke khush rakhne ko, ‘Ghalib’ yeh khayaal achcha hai

BNP boycotted because Awami League has been rigging elections anyway. Even if BNP participated, Awami League would've won because of vote riggings. Awami League has been making opposition leaders disappear/arrested.

I have seen examples of vote riggings on Facebook. These are getting circulated.

In a nutshell, Bangladesh has been a one party state for quite a while now. There hasn't been a proper election since 2008.
And this is the story in plenty of democracies across the world, ruling parties putting pressure on the opposition to varying degrees, PTI's current suffering is the perfect example. Yet they're trying their best to compete despite multiple hurdles. Look at India, Turkey, Belarus..... but the opposition keeps fighting even if that means facing defeat. Nope, BNP cannot, instead sit and cry for the next 5 years.

The voter turnout for the February 8 election was predictably lower than expected. Some individuals abstained from participating in the national exercise either due to concerns about the credibility of the polls or a general disillusionment with the electoral process. However, a significant portion of the population, particularly the Bengalis of Karachi, were deprived of the privilege to make this choice. They faced an inability to cast their votes. Why did this happen?

Thanks they have got their seperate state otherwise they had been suffering too.

During a conversation with US President Richard Nixon on June 4, his National Security Adviser Henry Kissinger predicted that if East Pakistan became independent, it would become a cesspool:

“It is going to be 100 million people, they have the lowest standard of living in Asia…no resources. They're going to become a ripe field for communist infiltration.

“And then they're going to bring pressure on India because of West Bengal. So that the Indians in their usual idiotic way are playing for little stakes, unless they have in the back of their minds that they could turn East Pakistan into a sort of protectorate that they could control from Calcutta."

The previous day, Kissinger told US Ambassador to India Kenneth B Keating: “East Pakistan will eventually become independent… The problem is how to bell the cat. The President has chosen to do it gradually.”

Dhaka Tribune

The most dumbest administration in US history, got impeached rightly so

BD went ahead and Pakistan remained a proxy of US.

Question is will Bd take the burden of Pakistan when BD enjoys mich better social economic indicators in South Asia.

Last edited by a moderator:
The most dumbest administration in US history, got impeached rightly so

BD went ahead and Pakistan remained a proxy of US.

Question is will Bd take the burden of Pakistan when BD enjoys mich better social economic indicators in South Asia.

No, apparently it seems impossible because they have no interest in embracing us, as they are quite stable on their own. But yes if Pakistan had a booming economy then they could consider it.

Back