Ishan Kishan - Indian batter

Looks like Dravid does not favor Kishan. He likes Bharat more.

The sooner India gets rid of Dravid, the better it is for Indian cricket. His moronic team selection has nearly costed India the 2nd Test. Bumrah and Jaiswal saved his behind.
It's not the first time messing with selection .Problem is he thinks he is over smart and picks all his favourites to prove dumb selection.He should go after t20 wc along with unfit rohit

India Cricket Head Coach Rahul Dravid in the media interaction post the 2nd Test against England:

"There is way back for anyone and everyone. I don't want to go on labouring about the Ishan Kishan point. Have tried to explain this as best as I can, the point was he had requested a break, we were happy to give him the break."

"Whenever he is ready, I didn't say he has to play domestic cricket, I said whenever he is ready, he needs to play some cricket and come back. The choice is his. We are not forcing him to do anything."
According to reports, before the series against South Africa, Ishan Kishan, decided not to join the Indian team, citing mental fatigue.

Although the team management excused him, Kishan has yet to make himself available for selection. Amidst this situation, there are reports suggesting that the wicketkeeper-batsman was displeased with Jitesh Sharma's inclusion in T20Is, which might complicate his position in the playing XI.

Meanwhile, Kishan has been absent from Jharkhand's Ranji Trophy matches. Currently, he is training with Hardik Pandya and Krunal Pandya at Reliance Stadium in Baroda and is expected to make his comeback during the Indian Premier League.

Something happened to Ishan Kishan during the World Cup. Since then he has been skipping each and every cricketing event.

According to reports, before the series against South Africa, Ishan Kishan, decided not to join the Indian team, citing mental fatigue.

Although the team management excused him, Kishan has yet to make himself available for selection. Amidst this situation, there are reports suggesting that the wicketkeeper-batsman was displeased with Jitesh Sharma's inclusion in T20Is, which might complicate his position in the playing XI.

Meanwhile, Kishan has been absent from Jharkhand's Ranji Trophy matches. Currently, he is training with Hardik Pandya and Krunal Pandya at Reliance Stadium in Baroda and is expected to make his comeback during the Indian Premier League.
This was the opportunity for him to throw his cap in the Indian Test squad and Ishan Kishan is ruining his own career. Ideally with the absence of Pant, he should have been an automatic selection in the team. But a dud like Bharat is playing instead.

Something happened to Ishan Kishan during the World Cup. Since then he has been skipping each and every cricketing event.
Not sure which bright mind is guiding him in this. I am not sure why he is required to play Ranji games to be considered for selection in the Indian team. Ishan has proven himself at the international level as a capable batsman and keeper. Very poor from Dravid.

Ishan kishan is just an opportunitistic, he knows that Rohit's days are numbered as captain of the team and most likely Pandya will be the new captain in white ball cricket, so he is siding with him

Ishan would be 100 percent a better pick in India over Bharat. So I can sympathize with him. Nevertheless, he is being poorly advised.

No Ranji Trophy, No IPL: After Ishan Kishan Fiasco, BCCI Takes Stern Step - ReportIshan Kishan's reluctance to play first-class cricket could prompt the BCCI to make a minimum number of Ranji Trophy games mandatory in order to be eligible for IPL.

Jharkhand keeper-batter Ishan Kishan's reluctance to play first-class cricket and focus only on the IPL could prompt the BCCI to make a minimum number of Ranji Trophy games mandatory for players in order to be eligible for the cash-rich league's lucrative auction pool. It has been learnt that BCCI brass has already instructed Kishan to play Jharkhand's last group league game against Rajasthan in Jamshedpur, starting February 16. The manner in which Kishan had skipped match after match after returning midway from South Africa tour citing "travel fatigue" hasn't exactly gone down well with men who matter in the Indian cricket establishment.

More so after it was found that he is training in Baroda with his new MI skipper Hardik Pandya while his state team is languishing near bottom of group A table.

There is a general consensus that a strict policy need to be adhered to so that a group of young players don't make "playing IPL to IPL" a habit.

"The decision makers in BCCI are well aware that some players don't want to play any red ball cricket. If they are out of Indian team, they would at best play a few Mushtaq Ali T20 games and then not report for state team duty during red ball season," a senior BCCI official told PTI on conditions of anonymity.

"To rein in such players, board in all likelihood will make it mandatory to play 3-4 Ranji Trophy games, failing which, they can't play IPL or even appear in IPL auction if released by their franchise.

"The state units feel unless the diktat comes from top of BCCI, some of the young stars will treat Ranji Trophy with disdain." It is understood that even Indian team's think-tank are pissed off with a certain section of players, who are always reluctant to play Ranji Trophy even when they are fit.

"We can understand Hardik Pandya's case as his body can't take the rigours of red ball cricket. He can't withstand the workload of Test cricket and India needs him fit for ICC events.

"But some of the other youngsters, whenever you call them, they will cite that they are currently doing physio work. There needs to be a stop somewhere," the official said.

It will be interesting to find out if Kishan finally leaves his "new training base" in Baroda and is back in Jamshedpur for Jharkhand's final game of the tournament.

Asked if Kishan would find himself out of BCCI retainership (he has a grade C annual contract of Rs 1 crore), the official said: "No discussions have taken place as of now regarding central contracts.

Source: NDTV

BCCI's step of no domestic cricket, no IPL would mean anything if prima donnas of Indian cricket too are asked to play domestic cricket while coming back from injury/break or else it doesn't mean anything.

I really want to find out what happened with Ishan Kishan during the world cup and why has he been skipping all forms of cricket since then.

AB de Villiers has shared his take on Ishan Kishan and said that it's tough to manage a career. Speaking on his YouTube channel:

"So, whether Ishan is doing it wrong or other players are doing it right or wrong, I don't know but what needs to happen is proper communication. So, the players know exactly what, not only proper communication but proper and regular communication."

"I just wanna wish all the players the very best because managing the career is something I found extremely difficult in the backend of my career."

AB de Villiers has shared his take on Ishan Kishan and said that it's tough to manage a career. Speaking on his YouTube channel:

"So, whether Ishan is doing it wrong or other players are doing it right or wrong, I don't know but what needs to happen is proper communication. So, the players know exactly what, not only proper communication but proper and regular communication."

"I just wanna wish all the players the very best because managing the career is something I found extremely difficult in the backend of my career."
personally cannot like a player who gives more credence to league T20 over TEST cricket - be it ABD or this guy Ishaan - the huge benefits which IPL mega money give to cricketers is pleasing but this flip side makes me angry ! Akin to choosing padosan over your mum !!!

While interacting with the reporters at the sidelines of the renaming ceremony of the Saurashtra Cricket Association Stadium, BCCI Secretary Jay Shah mentioned Kishan during the interaction:

"All contracted players have been told on phone and I'll be writing to them too. If chairman of selectors, coach & captain want you to play red-ball cricket then you gotta play. ‘Nakhre Nahi Chalenge' (no tantrums). And as far as Ishan Kishan is concerned, he is young, I am not saying this specifically about him as it will be applicable for all the players uniformly."

"Everyone will have to play, otherwise, the chairman of the selection committee has given me his suggestions and I am going to give him a free hand to let him take his own calls freely."

"Whatever advice we get from the NCA — say suppose somebody's body is not able to handle both white-ball and red-ball cricket — so we do not want to impose anything in that regard."

"(It applies to) whoever is fit and young — we are not going to tolerate any other tantrums. This message is for all centrally contracted players."

"Everyone will have to play, otherwise, the chairman of the selection committee has given me his suggestions and I am going to give him a free hand to let him take his own calls freely."

Ishan Kishan Overlooks BCCI Directive, Triggers Controversy By Missing Ranji Trophy Match​

India wicket-keeper batter Ishan Kishan has been in the headlines for a while because he decided to miss the Ranji Trophy in favour of personal practice, in the wake of the upcoming Indian Premier League (IPL) season. Ishan, who has been out of the India squad since withdrawing from the tour of South Africa, owing to mental fatigue, remains away from all sorts of cricketing commitments despite being urged by head coach Rahul Dravid and others in the BCCI to resume playing.

Ishan was informed by the BCCI management to play Jharkhand's final Ranji Trophy Elite Group match against Rajasthan, starting February 16. But, the wicket-keeper batter gave that match a miss. It wasn't just him but pacer Deepak Chahar, who also has been away from cricketing action for a while, decided to overlook his Ranji Trophy commitments.

A few weeks ago, reports emerged that Ishan Kishan has been training with Hardik and Krunal Pandya at the Reliance Stadium. Several reports emerged, suggesting the BCCI isn't happy with Ishan's attitude, directing him to return to domestic cricket and join Jharkhand's Ranji Trophy team.

But, as Jharkhand announced their playing XI for the match against Rajasthan, Ishan's name couldn't be found.

Earlier, the BCCI secretary Jay Shah said that the board isn't going to 'tolerate the tantrums', asserting that young players who aren't injured have to play red-ball cricket for their state teams.

"They have been informed on phone already and I'm going to write letters as well that if your chairman of selectors, your coach and your captain are asking for it then you will have to play red-ball cricket," Shah had said.

"(It applies to) whoever is fit and young - we are not going to tolerate any other tantrums. This message is for all centrally contracted players. Everyone will have to play, otherwise, the chairman of the selection committee has given me his suggestions and I am going to give him a free hand to let him take his own calls freely," he had asserted.

India batter Shreyas Iyer, who was not picked for the last three Tests against England, didn't feature in the Mumbai XI either. It isn't yet known if he is injured or didn't make himself available for the Ranji Trophy team.

These three players -- Kishan, Chahar and Iyer -- were specifically told to play for their respective state teams in first-class cricket.

In the absence of Kishan, Kumar Kushagra continued doing wicket-keeping duties for Jharkhand.

Jharkhand, who have only one win and 10 points from six matches so far, are playing Rajasthan at home in their final round.

The manner in which Kishan has missed match after match since returning midway from the national's team South Africa tour citing "travel fatigue", hasn't gone down well with the men who matter in the Indian cricket establishment.

More so after it was found that he was training in Baroda with his new Mumbai Indians skipper Hardik Pandya while his state team languished near bottom of group A table in Ranji.

There is a general consensus that a strict policy needs to be adhered to so that a group of young players don't make "playing IPL to IPL" a habit.

Last edited by a moderator:
So Ishan is openly defying BCCI. As is Deepak Chahar.

And Shreyas Iyer.

Chuck them out. Should never wear a white or blue T-shirt again.
These Kishans and Iyers think they have achieved everything in their cricket career. Such prima donnas should be discouraged to come anywhere near Indian cricket.

Have seen Iyer's pressers. He thinks there is nothing wrong with his short ball game. Therein lies the problem.

According to reports, Ishan Kishan is expected to be excluded from the list of centrally contracted players for the 2023-24 season. One of the reasons behind this decision is reportedly his absence from domestic cricket despite the board's insistence.

In recent months, there has been talk about Ishan Kishan not participating in Ranji Trophy matches despite board directives. After India's win over England in the 4th Test in Ranchi, Rohit Sharma commented on the matter:

"Jin logon ko bhookh hai, hum unhi logon ko mauka denge (We will give opportunities to only those who are hungry)."

"Agar hunger nahi hai to unko khila ke koi matlab nahi hai (There's point in playing those who don't have the hunger)."

"I don't see anyone in the team here who is not hungry. All the boys who are here and also those who are not, they all want to play. But the thing with Test cricket is that you get very few opportunities. If you don't utilise them, they go away."

According to reports, Ishan Kishan is expected to be excluded from the list of centrally contracted players for the 2023-24 season. One of the reasons behind this decision is reportedly his absence from domestic cricket despite the board's insistence.
Ishan Kishan dropped from BCCI annual contract list for 2023-24

NDTV

Unless he is disrupting the team camaraderie, the attitude should not be an issue.
He has disrupted the same in MI, and he is very disrespectful to foreign coaching staff, please check MI documentary in netflix the guy is a mess, I have been saying this for years now and it showed.

His attitude is a big issue, we don’t need him.
Oh please. Who the hell is we? What kind of delusion allows you to peddle your nonsense opinion on behalf of this royal ''we''?
Yes he is perhaps not the docile, humble kid as many others. So? Cricketers are humans and some are more difficult than others. What's the big deal?

Last edited by a moderator:
He has disrupted the same in MI, and he is very disrespectful to foreign coaching staff, please check MI documentary in netflix the guy is a mess, I have been saying this for years now and it showed.
In that case, a deserved boot for him. I hope he mends his ways. He is too important for India in the shorter formats.

I hope this is the end of Kishan in Indian colors. He can exclusively play for MI as much as he likes. Dhruv Jurel is big upgrade over him for the team.

I hope this is the end of Kishan in Indian colors. He can exclusively play for MI as much as he likes. Dhruv Jurel is big upgrade over him for the team.
Everyone is so high on Jurel after just a couple of Tests. This is cricket and things can turn very bad for any player with just 1 series.
You don’t throw away players like Kishan for non-cricketing reasons. He should be given a warning and asked to play domestic cricket z if he then refuses after warning also, then he deserves to be kicked out.

I like Jurel too, but he has not done anything in LOI cricket yet. With T20 WC coming, are you going to rely on Jurel and Pant who has not played in over a year? Most here want KL Rahul to be kicked out too. That means you are putting all your eggs on Jurel and Pant. Not looking good at all.

Ishan and Iyer deserved this belt treatment from BCCI. IPL money got into their heads. They haven't achieved anything in cricket but have tons of attitude.

Everyone is so high on Jurel after just a couple of Tests. This is cricket and things can turn very bad for any player with just 1 series.
You don’t throw away players like Kishan for non-cricketing reasons. He should be given a warning and asked to play domestic cricket z if he then refuses after warning also, then he deserves to be kicked out.

I like Jurel too, but he has not done anything in LOI cricket yet. With T20 WC coming, are you going to rely on Jurel and Pant who has not played in over a year? Most here want KL Rahul to be kicked out too. That means you are putting all your eggs on Jurel and Pant. Not looking good at all.
Time will tell. Let’s see. From my point of view, Jurel has accomplished in two tests more than Kishan as far as tests go. I can’t seem to recall what Kishan has done anything of note in tests.

Looks like BCCI made an example out of Kishan and Iyer. I guess when you have a behemoth like the IPL players are bound to get complacent and think that FC cricket is not as important.

All the time, team management and spinners were not confident of his ability to keep in india.so team management have requested him to work on that by playing first class and to improve his wicket keeping against spinners and strike rotation also as he bogs down against spinners in middle overs.

But ishan seems to be thinking he does not belong to first class level and he wants his place granted .He is competing against jaiswal and Gill for opener spot in t20 and against pant in rest formats.so instead of being obnoxious, he should improve himself

Some good steps were taken by BCCI to promote the red ball format. It can improve a player's ability technically and also is temperament. Ishan has not done anything to give him a place in the team for granted. He needs to grind because he has competition now and a tough one tbh.

No need Ishan for t20 he is slow tuk tuk hack India should go with Jitesh Sharma for this year wc

No need Ishan for t20 he is slow tuk tuk hack India should go with Jitesh Sharma for this year wc
He isn't tuk tuk. He just lacks quality. The guy will slog every ball and will end up scoring 40 (35). There's a reason he has a poor SR despite having an attacking approach. Guys like him can play for teams like SL, BD or Ireland not India.

Jurel has performed in domestics and has the right attitude. Ishan couldn't even excel in domestics. An overrated hack with limited capabilities who performs once in a blue moon and plays more match losing knocks than match winning ones.

Shreyas Iyer and Ishan Kishan have both been excluded from the 30-member list of centrally contracted players announced by the BCCI on Wednesday (February 28). KL Rahul, Shubman Gill and Mohammed Siraj have been elevated to the Grade A category while Rishabh Pant, who missed the majority of the season recovering from a road accident, finds himself in Grade B.

Shreyas Iyer and Ishan Kishan are not part of the new list of centrally contracted players revealed by the BCCI on February 28. KL Rahul, Shubman Gill, and Mohammed Siraj have been promoted to Grade A, while Rishabh Pant, recovering from a road accident, is now in Grade B.
The BCCI, in a media release, mentioned that Iyer and Kishan were not included in this round of contract recommendations. The board emphasized the significance of players participating in domestic cricket during periods when they are not representing the national team.

Ishan Kishan Was Contacted By Indian Cricket Team Management During England Series. Report Claims This Was His Reply

Since the BCCI annual contract list was released on Wednesday, two names which have grabbed the attention were Shreyas Iyer and Ishan Kishan with their. The two star players have been part of India's planning in recent times but still found themselves excluded from the BCCI contracts. According to reports and BCCI's hint in one of its press releases, the reluctance of the duo to play in domestic cricket may have played a big part in both of them losing BCCI central contracts.

While there was no official reason given on why Ishan Kishan and Shreyas Iyer were dropped, one line in BCCI's release gives a strong hint. "The BCCI has recommended that all athletes give precedence to participating in domestic cricket during periods when they are not representing the national team," the BCCI stated.

When Ishan Kishan had left India's Tour of South Africa, the BCCI had said on December 17: "Mr Ishan Kishan has requested the BCCI to be released from the upcoming Test series against South Africa citing personal reasons. The wicket-keeper has subsequently been withdrawn from the Test squad."

While it was expected that Ishan Kishan would play domestic cricket from his time away from the national team, the wicketkeeper-batter chose to remain absent from his state team Jharkhand's Ranji Trophy matches. Despite Indian cricket team coach Rahul Dravid clearly mentioning that he need to play some form of cricket to regain his place in the Indian squad, Ishan Kishan ignored the instruction.

Now, in a report by ESPN Cricinfo, it has been claimed that Ishan Kishan was contacted by the Indian cricket team management during the ongoing India vs England Test series. The reports added that Kishan replied that he was not ready yet. In his absence, Dhruv Jurel got the opportunity and won the Player of the Match award.

NDTV

Former Indian cricket team captain Sourav Ganguly while speaking to a local media outlet:

"For someone like Ishan Kishan, BCCI secretary Jay Shah, president Roger Binny and the selectors need to speak to him. All this while he has played Ranji and then played white-ball cricket. Has it made him a poorer player? It hasn't."

"All the players picked in Delhi Capitals have played Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy, Vijay Hazare Trophy and Ranji Trophy. Even Ishant Sharma has played Ranji. Khaleel Ahmed has played the full season after a long time. We worked with him in the off season and got him fit to play Ranji. There are only one or two exceptions who need to be spoken to."

"I think this is the first time that someone has not played or ignored red-ball domestic cricket. Otherwise, all of them have played Ranji Trophy when they were free. I am sure the BCCI will take proper action."

India's batting legend, Sunil Gavaskar, in his column for the local magazine, pointed out:

"Nobody still knows why Kishan has not turned up for Jharkhand in the Ranji Trophy, while at the time of writing this column, Iyer was in the Mumbai team to play the semi-finals of the Ranji Trophy. Iyer had also played in the Ranji Trophy game as asked by the Indian team management just before this Test series started, so it’s not as if he has refused to play the Ranji Trophy at all."

A quick-fire knock of 42 (23) from Ishan Kishan has provided a boost to MI against DC in IPL 2024. Should Ishan Kishan be part of the India squad for the ICC T20I World Cup 2024?

Ishan Kishan stays focussed on the present amid talks of potential T20 World Cup selection​

"About the (T20) World Cup, it is not in my hands and I am taking things very easy right now," he said on Thursday, 11 April, after smashing a 34-ball 69 against Royal Challengers Bengaluru to take his IPL team Mumbai Indians to a comfortable win.

"You have to take one match at a time. One needs to understand that a lot is not in the hands of the players.”

Kishan returned to play competitive cricket in the Indian Premier League (IPL) after seeking a break from international cricket for personal reasons.

He last appeared for India in November after requesting a break during the South Africa tour in December-January. Kishan continued to practice during his rest. He made his comeback in February during the DY Patil T20 Cup.

The opener adopted a ‘good mindset’ to tackle the outside noise, especially things said on social media.

"I was practising [during the break]. When you take a break, people gossip about it a lot, they say a lot of things on social media. But I feel it's important to understand not everything is in players' hands. We can only make the best use of the break. This is what adopting a good mindset is," said Kishan.

Kishan, alongside Shreyas Iyer, was not included in the BCCI central contract list for the period between October 2023 and September 2024. Despite being left out, Kishan is adopting a positive approach by focusing on what he can control.

"There is nothing like that [that] I want to prove to someone," he said. "I just have to go there and enjoy. I have learned that you do not have to add pressure on yourself about these things, which are not in your hand. You have to figure out what are [your] controllables and what are [your] uncontrollables,” added Kishan.

Currently, he is the top run-getter for Mumbai Indians in IPL 2024, accumulating 161 runs at a strike rate of 182.95. Kishan represented India in the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023 and made the T20 World Cup squad in 2021.

Ishan Kishan has broken the record for most dismissals by a wicketkeeper (48) in IPL for MI, going past de Kock's 47.

During a media interaction, former India player Sunil Gavaskar expressed his frustration with Ishan Kishan, who performed poorly in the Indian Premier League 2024:

“Ishan Kishan didn’t play any cricket after leaving South Africa. Ishan thought he would dominate bowlers in IPL but cricket teaches you a lesson if you start disrespecting it. Cricket is one game that will hit back if you start taking it for granted."

“You can’t just come and start hitting. In IPL, you play against international players and they will not allow you to go after them.”

Back