What's new

Israeli settlers burn 18 months old baby

ChachaCricket

First Class Captain
Joined
Jul 25, 2015
Runs
6,123
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...n-toddler-killed-in-firebombing-10429987.html

Photographs have emerged of the 18-month-old child killed in an arson attack by suspected Jewish extremists in the West Bank.

Ali Saad Dawabsha died after masked individuals reportedly threw two Molotov cocktails into his family home in Duma, near Nablus early on Friday morning.

The family of four were sleeping during the attack, with Ali’s father Sa’ad able to rescue four-year-old son Ahmed, who was burnt on over 60 per cent of his body, and wife Rehan, who sustained 90 per cent burns, but unable to find his youngest son.

Images of the toddler started to emerge as outrage over the attack, just over a year since a Palestinian teenager was killed, mounted online.

Israel’s defence minister confirmed the family had been taken to a hospital in nearby Nablus, but that they would be transferred to Israeli hospitals.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu condemned the “terror attack.”

He told the Jerusalem Post: “Israel deals harshly with terrorism, no matter who the perpetrators are”.
READ MORE: Palestinian toddler burnt alive

However, the Palestinian Liberation Organisation (PLO) tweeted on Friday morning that they held the Israeli government “fully responsible”.

PLO Secretary-General Saeb Erekat called for the international community to intervene.

“We call upon the international community to end its policy of empty statements and to finally do something to protect Palestinians,” he told the Jerusalem Post.
 
PLO controls West bank and they recognize Israel but people under PLO's control are still getting attacked. How can Israel expect Hamas to put down weapons when this is their alternative? The truth is Israel doesn't want Hamas or anyone to put down weapons. They hope that Hamas attacks them again so they can murder more innocent people.
 
Mods please change the title to 18 MONTHS old.

Israel is breaking its own records of atrocities.
 
[MENTION=138463]Slog[/MENTION] [MENTION=138379]#GreenRoars[/MENTION] can you change the title from year to months?
 
PLO controls West bank and they recognize Israel but people under PLO's control are still getting attacked. How can Israel expect Hamas to put down weapons when this is their alternative? The truth is Israel doesn't want Hamas or anyone to put down weapons. They hope that Hamas attacks them again so they can complete genocide of Muslim and Christian Palestinians.

Fixed.
 
Akhuwat iss ko kehtay hain chubay kaanta jo qabul mai
Toh hindustaan ka hr peer-o-jawan be-taab ho jaye
 
Settlers are the most extreme people on the planet. The Israeli government can condemn all it likes but they are the ones who protect illegal settlers with their army.

There will be no justice for this family.
 
Settlers are the most extreme people on the planet. The Israeli government can condemn all it likes but they are the ones who protect illegal settlers with their army.

There will be no justice for this family.

Whatever the case this is insane and should never have happened.
 
I fail to understand, how can anyone expect that after this palestinians would not resort to terrorist thoughts or plan suicide attacks if this is what they have to bear. One has to be in their shoes to feel the pain.

Even after this if that family doesnt retaliate with any extremist / drastic / terrorist action, then I salute them for their patience and being extraordinary human beings. And if they do something horrific, then i equally understand that going through such circumstances and bearing the pain of losing their loved one, no man or woman can think rationally.

Best way for Israel to diffuse the anger and situation is to make a swift legal action against the perpetrators and sentence them to the harshest sentence (preferred death sentence)
 
The lawyer for relatives of a murdered Palestinian family who were firebombed inside their house by a Jewish settler has requested the maximum sentencing, as the years-long case nears its end.

Saad and Riham Dawabsheh, along with their 18-month old son Ali, died in the arson attack carried out by Amiram Ben-Uliel while they slept in their home in the occupied West Bank village of Duma in July 2015.

The family's sole survivor in the attack was Ahmed Dawabsheh, who was four years old at the time and suffered second- and third-degree burns on more than 60 percent of his body.

"We demand three life sentences, in addition to an extra 40 years in prison for the settler, as well as a financial compensation of 260,000 shekels ($75,400) for each of the three victims," family lawyer Omar Khamayseh told Al Jazeera on Tuesday after a court session in which family members gave their last testimony in the case.

Ben-Uliel was convicted last month of three counts of murder, two counts of attempted murder, two counts of arson and conspiracy to commit a racially motivated crime.

According to Israeli prosecutors, Ben-Uliel chose the Dawabsheh family home on the assumption it was inhabited, and threw a Molotov cocktail in one of the windows. Prior to that, he had spray-painted "Revenge" and "Long Live King Messiah" on the walls of the house.

His sentencing, Khamayseh said, will take place on July 12 at 6am (03:00 GMT) at the Lod (Lydda) District Court.

Tuesday's court session was attended by Nasr Dawabsheh, Saad's brother and Ahmed's uncle.

"We've suffered so much in the last five years with the court proceedings," Nasr Dawabsheh told Al Jazeera. "We had to apply for permits to be present at the court, which has had some 70 sessions. It was our resolve and determination that got the case to reach sentencing the criminal."

Nasr Dawabsheh said the sentencing should act a deterrent for other settlers to think twice before attacking Palestinians, but added: "On a personal level, the sentencing will not mean much to us, the Dawabsheh family. It will not bring back Saad, or Riham or Ali.

"But we also don't want another Dawabsheh case, and we don't want another Palestinian child to go through the trauma that Ahmed is still suffering from."

Ahmed Dawabsheh, who is now 10 years old, did not attend Tuesday's court session.

"He refused to come," his uncle said. "He does not want to see any settlers. He told me: 'Even if I do attend, will you guarantee that I will stop having nightmares about him? As long as there are settlers around, I will never feel safe'."

According to Israeli rights organisation Yesh Din, there is a very low percentage of indictments that result from ideological crimes committed by Israeli citizens and settlers against Palestinians or their property in the West Bank.

The organisation monitored 1,293 cases between 2005 and 2019 in the West Bank and found that a sweeping majority of these cases - 1,144, or 91 percent - were closed without any indictments. Only 8 percent of these cases (100) resulted in indictments, and the remaining eight were lost by the Israeli police and never investigated.

"The failure to investigate crimes against Palestinians and the increase in the number of offenses committed indicate that the State of Israel fails to protect Palestinians and their property from harm, as it is required to do under international law, and that its attempts to investigate crimes committed in areas under its jurisdiction are futile," Yesh Din said.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020...-settler-duma-arson-case-200609115847069.html
 
Will not get much press, not an American issue . This is a hate crime and all lives lost in hate crime matter.
 
An Israeli court handed a Jewish settler three life sentences on Monday for murdering a Palestinian toddler and his parents in an arson attack on their home in the occupied West Bank.

Amiram Ben-Uliel, 25, was sentenced by the Lod court following his conviction in May for the 2015 killings. He was also found guilty of two counts each of attempted murder and arson, along with conspiracy to commit a hate crime.

The arson attack killed 18-month-old Ali Dawabsheh. His mother, Riham, and father, Saad, later died of their wounds. Ali's four-year-old brother Ahmad survived with burns on his body.

The court said Ben-Uliel's "actions were meticulously planned, and stemmed from the radical ideology he held and racism". It said the punishment was "close to the maximum penalty prescribed by the law".

The Dawabsheh family said no prison sentence could atone for the crime.

"What will the court's decision give me? What will it give to Ahmad?" the child's grandfather, Hussein Dawabsheh, told reporters outside the courtroom on Monday. "It won't return anything to him."

'Revenge'
The 2015 arson attack came amid a wave of vigilante attacks on West Bank Palestinians by Jewish settlers.

Ben-Uliel had sought to avenge the killing of an Israeli a month earlier. He chose the Dawabsheh family home and another dwelling in Duma village, near Nablus, on the assumption they were inhabited and, before firebombing them, spray-painted "Revenge" and "Long Live King Messiah" on their walls.

Ben-Uliel was acquitted of a charge of belonging to a "terrorist" organisation.

He first threw a Molotov cocktail through the window of a house whose inhabitants were not at home.

He then proceeded to the Dawabsheh house and threw a second petrol bomb through the bedroom window where the couple and their two children were sleeping, before fleeing.

'Hilltop youth'
The murders shone a spotlight on Jewish attacks on Palestinians and sparked accusations that Israel had not done enough to prevent such violence. Critics said lesser attacks on mosques or churches had long gone unpunished.

As the investigation into the Duma attack dragged on, Palestinians complained of a double-standard, where Palestinian suspects are quickly rounded up and prosecuted under a military legal system that gives them few rights, while Jewish Israelis are protected by the country's criminal laws.

Ben-Uliel belonged to a movement known as the "hilltop youth", a leaderless group of young Jewish settlers who set up unauthorised outposts, usually clusters of trailers, on West Bank hilltops - land the Palestinians want for their hoped-for state.

The Hilltop Youth have been known to attack Palestinians and even to clash with Israeli soldiers in response to perceived moves by the government to limit settlement activity.

A second, underaged defendant in the case entered a plea deal last year in which murder charges against him were reduced to conspiracy charges. The youth had admitted to staking out Duma ahead of the attack with Ben-Uliel, but was said not to have participated in it.

Ben-Uliel said Israeli investigators had forced him to make a false confession to the attack.

The convicted man's wife, Orian Ben-Uliel, told reporters outside the courtroom following the sentencing "the judges didn't seek justice or truth. They decided to incriminate my husband at any price", and the family would appeal to the country's Supreme Court.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020...lling-palestinian-family-200914124025478.html
 
Last edited:
Why is it that so many families of criminals just can't accept their member has committed an atrocious crime.
 
A sickening and horrific act. Good that he has been convicted, but no amount of jail time could ever atone for such a heinous crime against innocent people.
 
Back
Top