"Javed Miandad six still haunts me" : Chetan Sharma

ethan hunt

First Class Captain
Runs
NEW DELHI: Exactly 25 years have passed on Monday since Javed Miandad smashed Chetan Sharma for a last-ball six to steer Pakistan to victory in the Asia Cup final in Sharjah but the ghosts of that day still continues to haunt the former Indian pacer.

Sharma, on the silver jubilee of that day, said he had faced tough times after the Sharjah match and credited his coach Deshprem Azad for lifting him from depression."I try to forget that six but people do not let me. People do not forget things -- either good or bad -- that happens during India-Pakistan clashes," Sharma said.

"People won't remember the hat-trick against New Zealand in 1987 World Cup or the good performance against England but that Miandad six is one thing they will never forget," he said.

After being set a 246-run target by India, Pakistan needed four runs off the final ball to win the match and Miandad scripted a historic victory by smashing Sharma for a six.

"I tried to bowl a yorker but that turned out as a low full-toss. But people should also remember that i was just an 18-year-old boy then and was facing a batsman of the stature of Miandad," Sharma recollected.

Miandad in his auto-biography 'Cutting Edge: My Autobiography' has also mentioned that six.

He wrote,"I knew that he would try to bowl a yorker so I decided to stand just ahead of crease.....poor Chetan Sharma."

Sharma said," Kapil had trust on me. No one in the team said anything to me but I myself was upset. That was a very bad phase for me but I overcome that period with the help of my coach Deshprem Azad and friends."
http://articles.timesofindia.indiat..._1_chetan-sharma-javed-miandad-silver-jubilee

It hurts all the Indians that saw the match. The IPL generation such as Freelance are lucky not to witness such a mental scarring

Got to feel for the guy especially when i saw him mentioning how he had to hide in an undisclosed location after the match .

Poor guy. As he said, no one remembers his best performances but everybody reminds him of one delivery...

The dark side of Pak-India rivalry. ITS JUSt A GAME PEOPLE!!!

The circumstances of this match was what made it that way ... if india had been thrashed with overs to spare nobody would remember this match just like the million others we lost at Sharjah.

The less I speak about this match the better. I don't wish to get an infraction.

But last ball six.

Sharja cup

Full toss

Hide after the match.

Add 'em all up guys. If you're smart enough you'll understand :butt

The circumstances of this match was what made it that way ... if india had been thrashed with overs to spare nobody would remember this match just like the million others we lost at Sharjah.

You can say the same for the Mohali WC semi-final. Had India not won the cup, no one would have cared as much.

NEW DELHI: Exactly 25 years have passed on Monday since Javed Miandad smashed Chetan Sharma for a last-ball six to steer Pakistan to victory in the Asia Cup final in Sharjah but the ghosts of that day still continues to haunt the former Indian pacer.

Sharma, on the silver jubilee of that day, said he had faced tough times after the Sharjah match and credited his coach Deshprem Azad for lifting him from depression."I try to forget that six but people do not let me. People do not forget things -- either good or bad -- that happens during India-Pakistan clashes," Sharma said.

"People won't remember the hat-trick against New Zealand in 1987 World Cup or the good performance against England but that Miandad six is one thing they will never forget," he said.

After being set a 246-run target by India, Pakistan needed four runs off the final ball to win the match and Miandad scripted a historic victory by smashing Sharma for a six.

"I tried to bowl a yorker but that turned out as a low full-toss. But people should also remember that i was just an 18-year-old boy then and was facing a batsman of the stature of Miandad," Sharma recollected.

Miandad in his auto-biography 'Cutting Edge: My Autobiography' has also mentioned that six.

He wrote,"I knew that he would try to bowl a yorker so I decided to stand just ahead of crease.....poor Chetan Sharma."

Sharma said," Kapil had trust on me. No one in the team said anything to me but I myself was upset. That was a very bad phase for me but I overcome that period with the help of my coach Deshprem Azad and friends."
http://articles.timesofindia.indiat..._1_chetan-sharma-javed-miandad-silver-jubilee

It was Austral-Asia Cup.

Got to feel for the guy especially when i saw him mentioning how he had to hide in an undisclosed location after the match .
he probably did it for precaution but I dont think his life was in danger. Its just a game after all.

You can say the same for the Mohali WC semi-final. Had India not won the cup, no one would have cared as much.

Forget the WC matches .... people here were wrist slitting after the U-19 team lost to India ... Quit denying or keep going . :129:

And heres another thread that has a poll on which loss hurt more ... you will see that 96 QF had lots of takers incl the legendary Amjid even though we never even made it to the final in that WC ... http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=124762&highlight=1996

Feel for the guy

I saw the match live on TV with my family and that was the best cricketing memory for me besides winning the 92 world cup. I am sure Pakistanis who saw it live will have it very high on their list of best cricket moments as well..

Former Cricketer Chetan Sharma, who became famous or rather infamous after Pakistani cricketer Javed Miandad smashed him for a last-ball six to steer Pakistan to victory in the Asia Cup final in Sharjah in 1986, on Friday sought a BJP ticket from Faridabad Assembly constituency.

"I have been in BJP for the last 10 years. It is for the party to decide on giving me a ticket to contest. But if I am given a chance to contest, I will give my 100 per cent like the way I have made my contribution in sports,” he said here in a function to congratulate cricket legend Kapil Dev for becoming the first Chancellor of the Haryana Sports University at Rai in Sonipat district.

Sharma who is convener, Sports Cell of BJP, said that Sports infrastructure under Manohar Lal Khattar led government has been strengthened in five years and sportsmen of all games including cricket, wrestling and others have got national and international fame.

The ace cricketer who had also registered the first ever world cup hat-trick, said that BJP government in the state has increased the sports budget, Sports stadiums are being made with rapid pace and now sportsmen who secure medals at international level sports events are being paid handsomely by the state government.

"I took hat-trick in World Cup but was not paid much as players are now being paid by the State government," he said.

He said after Kapil Dev's appointment as Chancellor, all types of sports will be strengthened in the state.

Sharma had started his political career by joining Bahujan Samaj Party in 2009 and had contested the Parliamentary elections from Faridabad Lok Sabha constituency. He finished third securing 1.14 lakh votes then. He later quit BSP and joined BJP the same year in 2009.

International wrestler Babita Phogat, who was also present in the function, also gave gave preference of Badhra or Dadri in Charkhi Dadri district to contest the Assembly polls.

"It is however, for the party to decide on giving a ticket to me contest,” she said

Babita was appointed in Haryana Police under the sports quota by the then Bhupinder Singh Hooda-led Congress government in 2013. After joining BJP, the 29-year-old sub-inspector with Haryana Police had recently submitted her resignation, which was accepted September 10.

https://www.dailypioneer.com/2019/state-editions/chetan-sharma-seeks-bjp-ticket-from-faridabad.html

Miandad 6 dint affect india's h2h

That wasn't the reason why the overall h2h shifted in Pakistan's favour for a decade.
Post Miandad' 6, pakistam were just a better team and that's a fact. They were a better odi side post miandad 6 till about 1999. So just over a decade of superiority in the h2h fixtures. As far as tests it was still more or less even for majority of that period barring a few years where pakistan had the upper hand.

So it's not so much the 6 that tilted the h2h in Pakistan's favour. It was the emergence of wasim and waqar in odi's that made the difference. Pakistan were simply a better team for 10- 14 years. Post 2000 india started to have the upper hand and now in 2010 they truly started to dominate. Pakistam can still upset india in a one off game as shown in the champions trophy final.

That wasn't the reason why the overall h2h shifted in Pakistan's favour for a decade.
Post Miandad' 6, pakistam were just a better team and that's a fact. They were a better odi side post miandad 6 till about 1999. So just over a decade of superiority in the h2h fixtures. As far as tests it was still more or less even for majority of that period barring a few years where pakistan had the upper hand.

So it's not so much the 6 that tilted the h2h in Pakistan's favour. It was the emergence of wasim and waqar in odi's that made the difference. Pakistan were simply a better team for 10- 14 years. Post 2000 india started to have the upper hand and now in 2010 they truly started to dominate. Pakistam can still upset india in a one off game as shown in the champions trophy final.

Pak I'd still say underperformed big time in the 90s and their were so many issues beyond the field as well, so while on paper they were strong; results not so much reflected that

Cricket Addictor caught up with former Indian pacer, Chetan Sharma in a candid interview. Chetan Sharma was a legendary bowler during his stint in the international cricket. He holds multiple records to his name, the most prominent being his world cup hat-trick as he was the first bowler in the world to claim a world cup hat-trick.

Chetan Sharma had the opportunity of representing India in 23 Test matches and 65 One-Day Internationals (ODIs). He clinched 61 wickets in his Test career, and 67 wickets in the ODIs. He made his Test debut against arch-rivals Pakistan and became only the 3rd Indian bowler to pick his first Test wicket in the first over itself.

In the interview, Chetan Sharma talks about making his international debut with team India, his world cup hat-trick, and his role in India’s famous series win in England back in 1986. Catch the glimpses down under.

Speaking exclusively to CricketAddictor.com, Chetan Sharma said, “In the 1984 Pakistan tour, Sunil Gavaskar was our captain, I fondly remember. The way in which the team meetings are carried out and also in the practice sessions, you get a fair bit of idea that you’ll have the chance to play in the next game.”

“I had played international cricket prior to my Test debut but playing a Test match is every cricketer’s dream. I was informed a day prior to the Test debut that I’ll be playing in the next match. I still remember I bowled out Mohsin Khan only on the fifth delivery of my Test debut and it was a dream come true for me,” he added.

Chetan Sharma Shared His Story Of His World Cup Hat Trick

“In the world cup match that I scalped a hat-trick, I was smashed badly by the New Zealand batsmen. I never struggled in front of any batsman as I struggled in front of Martin Crowe. I was bowling a bit too fast in the hat-trick over because of the bad previous spell,” Chetan Sharma further said.

“I dismissed Rutherford and it was a delight watching the ball swing in and hit the middle stump. Then came Ian Smith and till the time his bat came down, his off-stump was knocked over. I started thinking of the hat-trick and so did my teammates after Smith’s wicket,” Sharma added.

“When Chatfield walked in to bat, he armoured himself in a manner as if he was coming to fight a war. Then we realized we already had won half the battle. I bowled the third ball as fast as I could and I was fortunate enough that the ball went through his legs and knocked his leg stump,” Sharma added.

Sharma further said, “What made the hat-trick even more special was the fact that all three balls had hit three different stumps. When I was on my peak, if I would have been asked to knock off three different stumps in three balls even without the batsmen guarding them, I wouldn’t have been able to do that.”

“Going into England in the 1986 series, we had forgotten when India had last beaten them at home. I picked five wickets in the first innings played at Lord’s. I played two Test matches in England and I was able to pick 16 wickets, 10 of which had come in Edgbaston. We won the series 2-0,” Chetan Sharma said.

“For any cricketer, what he achieves in Test cricket will forever be his best memory. It goes the same for me as well. Although I might have been in the limelight for a couple of another record as well, but for me, my performance in England in 1986 is the most memorable one that I have had in my international stint,” he concluded.

https://cricketaddictor.com/cricket/chetan-sharma-debut-hat-trick-england/

Back