Light Weight bat for Power Hitting...do they exist?

smasher1980

Tape Ball Regular
Runs
Hi Brothers,

I am wondering if it is possible to find a light weight bat weighing around 2.6lb - 2.7lb which can be used for power hitting? Normally the bats which are advertised as power hitters weigh in the excess of 2.10 - 2.11 and have a real meaty profile. I have seen a few bats with meaty profiles which weigh 2.6 - 2.7 but it makes me wonder how can they fit so much wood into a bat and still manage to keep the weight down.

Thoughts/Comments?

Hi Brothers,

I am wondering if it is possible to find a light weight bat weighing around 2.6lb - 2.7lb which can be used for power hitting? Normally the bats which are advertised as power hitters weigh in the excess of 2.10 - 2.11 and have a real meaty profile. I have seen a few bats with meaty profiles which weigh 2.6 - 2.7 but it makes me wonder how can they fit so much wood into a bat and still manage to keep the weight down.

Thoughts/Comments?

Good question bro.

To majid and others who have a vast range of bats masha'Allah, what is the biggest, lightest bat a person can purchase ?

Good question bro.

To majid and others who have a vast range of bats masha'Allah, what is the biggest, lightest bat a person can purchase ?

Thanks Bro...I too am hoping that the avid collectors on this forum will share their observations with us..

Attachments

• 2530378.jpg
    2530378.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 2,420
  • 3171453.jpg
    3171453.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 2,415
Does it mean that the bat needs to have a chunky middle and monster edges for it to be used for power hitting?

Hi Brothers,

Thoughts/Comments?

There are few ways in having big chunky edges whilst keeping a low weight. This can be done by having a higher sweetspot or further drying the cleft and making it over dried. Moisture content/will density does play a vital role in bat's weight.

You can find light weight bats with big edges and big profile however, most likely it will be over dried cleft.

All bats can be used for power hitting provided the batsman involved can hit the ball powerfully and time it properly, and be a good batsman. It depends on what weight one is comfortable with the most. If a bat is heavier, it naturally has more wood and so even mis-hits can clear sometimes. But with a thin bat, good batsmanship is required even more. So when you get the combination correct, you can be a crafty powerhitter. I hope this makes sense. Remember, bat speed is, as, if not more important, than bat meat. You need not hit the ball 200 yards to get a six. Then again, if you are blessed with huge muscles and perfect timing, the game naturally becomes a lot easier. I hope I made sense.

Overdried cleft, low density clefts etc can give you bigger bats at lower weights.

I have a puma weighing 2.7(with grips and stuff) 35mm edges perfect for all types of play

All bats can be used for power hitting provided the batsman involved can hit the ball powerfully and time it properly, and be a good batsman. It depends on what weight one is comfortable with the most. If a bat is heavier, it naturally has more wood and so even mis-hits can clear sometimes. But with a thin bat, good batsmanship is required even more. So when you get the combination correct, you can be a crafty powerhitter. I hope this makes sense. Remember, bat speed is, as, if not more important, than bat meat. You need not hit the ball 200 yards to get a six. Then again, if you are blessed with huge muscles and perfect timing, the game naturally becomes a lot easier. I hope I made sense.

Overdried cleft, low density clefts etc can give you bigger bats at lower weights.

Yep that makes sense zeusky :)...the reason I asked this question is because these days almost all bats which are advertised as power hitters are heavy and chunky. The only bats which I have seen which are not chunky are Puma..they are the only ones which are slim and light...

Also...I have seen CA 12000 and TRD advertised as being available in the 2.6 - 2.7 lb weight....would you say that these would be over dried...also what is the disadvantage of having an over dried bat?

Also...I have seen CA 12000 and TRD advertised as being available in the 2.6 - 2.7 lb weight....would you say that these would be over dried...also what is the disadvantage of having an over dried bat?

They break easily.Although not always.

I am looking for a similar bat in the UK right now, any suggestions guys! There definently are many bats out there which are light and capable of real power but like straightdrive mentioned they are likely to break, would be useful having a spare just incase one breaks however its an extra cost

But the point is....is a meaty bat required? Cant the bat weight light, have lesser wood but still be solid for power hitting?

Overdried cleft is a bad idea. Oversized cleft is a great idea. Low density willow is good too but might not have many grains.

But the point is....is a meaty bat required? Cant the bat weight light, have lesser wood but still be solid for power hitting?

Power hitting does not depend only on the bat but also on the batsman.

If the batsman is a good timer of the ball and a strong guy he can hit big sixes using a plank of wood.
Big cleft,small cleft won't matter that much.

If the batsman is a good timer of the ball and a strong guy he can hit big sixes using a plank of wood.

Well said Dhaka Tiger :D

Does that mean that batsmen these days are weak?? For e.g. have u seen Kieran Pollard or Gayle's bats...they are not weak by any standards but they still use massive bats...are we saying that poor batsmen with good physiques need big bats for power hitting?

Does that mean that batsmen these days are weak?? For e.g. have u seen Kieran Pollard or Gayle's bats...they are not weak by any standards but they still use massive bats...are we saying that poor batsmen with good physiques need big bats for power hitting?

Gayle and Pollard are big,strong men.
To them,bat weights of 2.13 weight would feel like 2.7.
That's why they use big,heavy bats.

IT ALL COMES DOWN TO PERSONAL PREFERENCES,FOR EXAMPLE SACHIN ALSO USES HEAVY BAT BECAUSE HE LIKES IT THAT WAY.

POWER HITTING DOES NOT REQUIRE A BIG,HEAVY BAT.
YOU NEED TIMING AND POWER COMBINATION.

Look at AB DE Villiers,Jacque Kallis,V.Sehwag,S.Afridi,D.Warner etc.
They all use medium heavy weight bats and they can hit sixes long enough to hit the ball out of the park!

Hope this post clears all the doubt.

Gayle and Pollard are big,strong men.
To them,bat weights of 2.13 weight would feel like 2.7.
That's why they use big,heavy bats.

IT ALL COMES DOWN TO PERSONAL PREFERENCES,FOR EXAMPLE SACHIN ALSO USES HEAVY BAT BECAUSE HE LIKES IT THAT WAY.

POWER HITTING DOES NOT REQUIRE A BIG,HEAVY BAT.
YOU NEED TIMING AND POWER COMBINATION.

Look at AB DE Villiers,Jacque Kallis,V.Sehwag,S.Afridi,D.Warner etc.
They all use medium heavy weight bats and they can hit sixes long enough to hit the ball out of the park!

Hope this post clears all the doubt.

Not really Bro but thanks for the post :D...

lemme try and re-phrase...

In today's world of T-20 and high scoring cricket big bats seem to be the in thing...ppl drool at the mention of bats with monstrous edges (40mm upwards!!!)...given that big hitting is not related to big bats, is this a cheap marketing stunt by bat manufacturers to sell their bats (Big Bats!!! Big Runs!! Clear Boundary Effortlessly!! etc etc)..

If its not a cheap marketing stunt and it is true that bigger bats mean bigger hits, then of course such chunky bats cannot be light weight..as someone mentioned...a light weight chunky bat means it is overdried which would mean that the bat wouldn't necessarily be of the best quality and wont last.

So is the hype around the big bats in the market fake?
If it is...then does someone own a light weight bat which he has used to do power hitting? If yes, then please share..

Overdried cleft is a bad idea. Oversized cleft is a great idea. Low density willow is good too but might not have many grains.

Having said that low density willow is not very easy to come across, they are pretty rare.

Many batmakers such as Julian have also said this and I believe by this.

Due to invention of Twenty20 cricket what has happened is that players require big bats or meaty bat. The bat having thick edges mean there is more wood behind and in the shot there will be more power due to this.

Think it this way, you buy a hammer which is light and thin compared to hammer which is heavy and thick. Whack with both and which one will cause more damage? Most likely the big-heavy one

Professional players go after performance and for them if a bat doesn't last long doesn't make a difference as long they keep on getting same shape, same bat etc again and again.

Hope this make sense

Gayle and Pollard use heavy bats actually.

Gayle and Pollard use heavy bats actually.

Yep... that's what I meant CD...that these guys use heavy bats even though they are physical strong batsmen...so we cannot say that power hitting is just about timing and body strength.

Yep... that's what I meant CD...that these guys use heavy bats even though they are physical strong batsmen...so we cannot say that power hitting is just about timing and body strength.

True - miscued shot from heavy bat can travel a fair distance really.

Power hitting is simply about bat speed, and bat speed depends on your musculature.

No use getting a heavy bat unless you are physically strong, and do serious weights. Looks at guys like Gayle or Hayden, that is why they can heft the big bats with devastating power.

95% of juniors and teenagers use bats that are way too heavy for them. Unless you are a physically strong person 2.7 to 2.8 is the maximum you should be looking at.

Exactly pinger good comment.
Take David Warner for example he has hit some massive shots yet only uses a bat a little over 2lb8oz. His not a small boy either so he probably uses a bat that's very light for him so he gets great bat swing and excellent timing.
Even Mark Waugh back in the 90's he has hit some massive shots and back when thick bats didn't exist. It come down to bat swing and timing.
Chris Gayle is a monster his 6ft2 and weighs well over a 100kg a 3lb bat would be nothing for him.

Thanks for the posts :)...So that means, there are no special bats, only special players?

Here is more proof Mark waugh hitting Vettori on the roof

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TdNtVYdkQQU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Exactly pinger good comment.
Take David Warner for example he has hit some massive shots yet only uses a bat a little over 2lb8oz. His not a small boy either so he probably uses a bat that's very light for him so he gets great bat swing and excellent timing.
Even Mark Waugh back in the 90's he has hit some massive shots and back when thick bats didn't exist. It come down to bat swing and timing.
Chris Gayle is a monster his 6ft2 and weighs well over a 100kg a 3lb bat would be nothing for him.

I have seen so many players at an amateur level wondering why they struggle with the hook and the pull shot, or get out when the ball is moving. It's because you are trying to heft a frickin railway sleeper you idiot!

I have seen so many players at an amateur level wondering why they struggle with the hook and the pull shot, or get out when the ball is moving. It's because you are trying to heft a frickin railway sleeper you idiot!

So they struggle to perform shots of the backfoot because the bat is too heavy?

True Bro...totally agree!!! Sadly big bats are the craze these days!! Thanks to T-20!!

Here is more proof Mark waugh hitting Vettori on the roof

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TdNtVYdkQQU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow...that is one giant hit!!! Thanks for sharing :)

So they struggle to perform shots of the backfoot because the bat is too heavy?

Yep, with the short ball you need good reflexes, you need to transfer your weight back, bring the bat horizontal from its vertical position, and transfer power through the swing. An overly heavy bat makes the pull shot very risky at best, and impossible at worst again fast bowling on a decent pitch.

You should be able to hold your bat at the end of it's handle with your arm fully extended horizontally for at least 30 seconds without any tremor or wobbling. Otherwise you are using a bat that is too heavy.

What surprises me how a tiny guy like scahin used a 3 pounder in the 90's and early 2000's
shows cricket is not just about power hitting but also timing

What surprises me how a tiny guy like scahin used a 3 pounder in the 90's and early 2000's
shows cricket is not just about power hitting but also timing

It's all in the wrists...big bats usually require stronger wrists, not necessarily strong builds..but yes..it is amazing that he plays with a 3 pounder...he has played against the best there were and the best there are..

I think it is all about being confident with the bat. Personally, I am 6'3" and decently built...but I hate the heavier bats as I always have it in the back of my mind that I may not be able to react well to shortish deliveries..of course whenever I have played with a heavy bat and the ball has been pitched in my half, it sure has travelled some way back :D

Yep, with the short ball you need good reflexes, you need to transfer your weight back, bring the bat horizontal from its vertical position, and transfer power through the swing. An overly heavy bat makes the pull shot very risky at best, and impossible at worst again fast bowling on a decent pitch.

You should be able to hold your bat at the end of it's handle with your arm fully extended horizontally for at least 30 seconds without any tremor or wobbling. Otherwise you are using a bat that is too heavy.

Thanks fr that am looking for a bat going to get one on the next few day so will keep that in mind

Thanks fr that am looking for a bat going to get one on the next few day so will keep that in mind

Be mindful that is also depends on the kind of pitches you will normally play on. If there are low bouncing then you would be better off getting a slightly heavier bat so that ur drives have more power behind them.

Be mindful that is also depends on the kind of pitches you will normally play on. If there are low bouncing then you would be better off getting a slightly heavier bat so that ur drives have more power behind them.

Is 2.8 alright on a low bounce pitch?

That depends on u...2.8 cud be feather for someone and just abt alright for someone else.

btw...didnt u post that u bought a 2.12 MH??

I orderd it from prodirect and selected medium (2.10-2.12) i couldnt select specifically which weight i wanted so i emailed them that i wanted 2.10, but earlier on in the day i went to a cricket shop in my local area and 2.8/9 was too too light for me (kookabbura) and am not a strong lad or anything but it just felt like a feather and my last bat was a sher amin which was much heavier but now am looking for a lighter bat as i think i would perform better. But anyways once i finished the order its status was out of stock so then emailed them that i want the 2.10 and asked them when it will be in stock, and lol you know when i asked you if the 2.8 was alright on the way to the shop i kept on checking the thread to see if you had replied but you turned out to be right in the end about it being a feather

Last edited:
I orderd it from prodirect and selected medium (2.10-2.12) i couldnt select specifically which weight i wanted so i emailed them that i wanted 2.10, but earlier on in the day i went to a cricket shop in my local area and 2.8/9 was too too light for me (kookabbura) and am not a strong lad or anything but it just felt like a feather and my last bat was a sher amin which was much heavier but now am looking for a lighter bat as i think i would perform better. But anyways once i finished the order its status was out of stock so then emailed them that i want the 2.10 and asked them when it will be in stock, and lol you know when i asked you if the 2.8 was alright on the way to the shop i kept on checking the thread to see if you had replied but you turned out to be right in the end about it being a feather

Actually depends on which bat you checked...how heavy a bat feels largely depends on the placement of the sweet spot...Bats which have a low sweetspot pick up heavier than the bats with a higher sweet spot. I think MH has a high sweet spot which is not ideal for low pitches...on low pitches you should prefer something with a lower sweet spot.

Actually depends on which bat you checked...how heavy a bat feels largely depends on the placement of the sweet spot...Bats which have a low sweetspot pick up heavier than the bats with a higher sweet spot. I think MH has a high sweet spot which is not ideal for low pitches...on low pitches you should prefer something with a lower sweet spot.

I was aware of that i might pay the price later performance wise if i do receive the bat but i just ordered to see how it will perform because i just like that bat although the original in now available in the low sweet spot version but it was a bit expensive on the original MH website so i thought id just order the one on offer from prodirect

I was aware of that i might pay the price later performance wise if i do receive the bat but i just ordered to see how it will perform because i just like that bat although the original in now available in the low sweet spot version but it was a bit expensive on the original MH website so i thought id just order the one on offer from prodirect

Hope you get an awesome piece Bro...and will of course look forward to your pics and a possible review once u receive it :D

Back