Liverpool, Arsenal, PSG or Tottenham Hotspur. Who are the greatest bottlers in the history of football?

Liverpool, Arsenal, PSG or Tottenham Hotspur. Who are the greatest bottler in the history of footbal

• PSG

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Barcelona fc ( under Messi's captaincy)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Liverpool fc have bottled EPL title on more than four occasions this century. Arsenal has this ignominous honor of bottling EPL title. Tottenham Hotspur keeps on dwelling among top four in English Premier League but could never won even a single title let alone EPL silwerware. PSG are the UEFA Champions League bottler and have a long tale of throwing in the towel in knock out stages.

So who among them are the greatest bottler. And also name the worst bottling ever in football history.

Well, Arsenal's bottling of EPL title last season was one of the worst bottling alongside PSG's 6-1 capitulation to Barcelona in camp Nou in 2017. For reference Arsenal were on no. 1 spot until the 33rd week and dropped nine points within space of four weeks to gift Manchester City the EPL title.

Worst bottling in PL history is man utd in 2011/12 - 8 point lead with 6 games left

Screenshot_20231226_154011_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231226_154011_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231226_154011_Chrome.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 0
Worst bottling in PL history is man utd in 2011/12 - 8 point lead with 6 games left

View attachment 140683
Yep bro. You are right. It does is somewhere above in that list. And that too under Sir Alex Ferguson 🤔. Still unbelievable. This reminds me of augeroooo... Line of Martin Tyler.

But remember Arsenal in 1998/99 season done the same worst bottling. When they were on top until 36th week but lost a match against lowly Leeds United even a draw against them would have been enough for them to secure premiership. They lost it by merely 1 point.

In the history of the PL, I would say Spurs and Liverpool are bigger bottlers than Arsenal.

Spurs have yet to win the PL and Liverpool have only won it once in over 30 years.

Arsenal have been the biggest bottlers in the Champions League over the last 25 years or so, since Wenger took over as Head Coach.

I voted for Spurs because when it comes to falling short of silverware, no one does it better than them :LOL:

In the history of the PL, I would say Spurs and Liverpool are bigger bottlers than Arsenal.

Spurs have yet to win the PL and Liverpool have only won it once in over 30 years.

Arsenal have been the biggest bottlers in the Champions League over the last 25 years or so, since Wenger took over as Head Coach.
Yep Spurs are just too unlucky. But bro, I think PSG are even bigger bottlers in champions league because they have been bottling it since 2014.

History of football is a very wide statement. If this is narrow down to last few years and particularly English football, Klopp’s Liverpool are right up there.

1 league title in 9 years after boasting one of Liverpool’s greatest ever teams for 4 years is quite a failure.

Liverpool 2019-2023 is one of their best ever teams and they have had 3-4, if not more, players who would be very strong contenders for their all-time XI.

Moreover, if you make a combined Liverpool-City XI from this period, it will not be lop-sided. In fact, it will almost be 50-50.

In spite of that, in this 5 year period, Liverpool have won only one league title while City have picked up 4.

Klopp should have won at least one more PL title in this period and his underachievement at Liverpool doesn’t get talked about enough.

Two major trophies in 9 years is a mediocre return when you look at the quality of players that he has had at his disposal especially post 2018.

He could still pick up another PL title but the chances are slim because Arsenal are best placed to be the dominant English team for the next few years and Klopp will be gone by then.

History of football is a very wide statement. If this is narrow down to last few years and particularly English football, Klopp’s Liverpool are right up there.

1 league title in 9 years after boasting one of Liverpool’s greatest ever teams for 4 years is quite a failure.

Liverpool 2019-2023 is one of their best ever teams and they have had 3-4, if not more, players who would be very strong contenders for their all-time XI.

Moreover, if you make a combined Liverpool-City XI from this period, it will not be lop-sided. In fact, it will almost be 50-50.

In spite of that, in this 5 year period, Liverpool have won only one league title while City have picked up 4.

Klopp should have won at least one more PL title in this period and his underachievement at Liverpool doesn’t get talked about enough.

Two major trophies in 9 years is a mediocre return when you look at the quality of players that he has had at his disposal especially post 2018.

He could still pick up another PL title but the chances are slim because Arsenal are best placed to be the dominant English team for the next few years and Klopp will be gone by then.
Yep Klopp has underachieved with a spectacular Lfc roaster.He should have won at least two PL titles by now. Certainly EPL season 2018-2019 was liverpool one but they subjugated cheaply before city then

Bro, if it is not going to be City this year then definitely liverpool fc are going to claim glory this year. Under Arteta Arsenal could only win title in dreams.

Bro, if it is not going to be City this year then definitely liverpool fc are going to claim glory this year. Under Arteta Arsenal could only win title in dreams.
I don’t agree. Arteta’s Arsenal is only warming up. Look at the ages of their core players. They are so young and so good.

I expect Arsenal to win two of the next four league titles with Arteta surpassing Klopp’s legacy in English football.

I don’t agree. Arteta’s Arsenal is only warming up. Look at the ages of their core players. They are so young and so good.

I expect Arsenal to win two of the next four league titles with Arteta surpassing Klopp’s legacy in English football.
Bro everything going perfect for Arsenal. But remember Arteta was a bottler himself as a player in EPL. He bottled the title too last season as manager. Also he is master of making poor decisions, for instance to let go Aubameyang was one of his worst decisions ever. 😑

The two big bottle jobs I can remember are Newcastle in 96 and Arsenal last year.

Newcastle got undone badly, Keegan went a bit crazy after Fergie turned on his jedi mind tricks. The league felt more prestigious back then too because as far as I can remember only the actual champions went into the champions league. I don't think Newcastle ever challenged for the league again

Arsenal also ultimately flopped last year but thats been debated back and forth by the Arsenal supporters so I won't add my 2c.

The two big bottle jobs I can remember are Newcastle in 96 and Arsenal last year.

Newcastle got undone badly, Keegan went a bit crazy after Fergie turned on his jedi mind tricks. The league felt more prestigious back then too because as far as I can remember only the actual champions went into the champions league. I don't think Newcastle ever challenged for the league again

Arsenal also ultimately flopped last year but thats been debated back and forth by the Arsenal supporters so I won't add my 2c.
Glad that you brought Newcastle case as nobody discusses it because they are not from original EPL top 6 teams.But don't you think Liverpool FC 2014-15 season was equally bad.

Also bro, do cast your vote too.

Bro everything going perfect for Arsenal. But remember Arteta was a bottler himself as a player in EPL. He bottled the title too last season as manager. Also he is master of making poor decisions, for instance to let go Aubameyang was one of his worst decisions ever. 😑
Arteta never played for a title winning team in his prime years. How can he be a bottler?

Arteta has made so many tough calls as manager and most of them were correct. Very few managers would have the guts to make those calls and he is one of them.

Aubameyang was a bad influence and the fact that Arteta banished him made it clear who the boss in the dressing room was and it was a pivotal moment that changed the culture of the club and set Arsenal on the path to success.

Arteta took Arsenal from a club that was struggling to stay in the top 10 to a club that is now challenging for the title. He did that while spending less money than Chelsea and United who were both stronger than Arsenal when he took over.

He is clearly a special manager and he will win a lot of trophies with Arsenal. The fact that so many people doubt him will make his success even sweeter.

I can already see the excuses though - “got lucky”, “took advantage of others’ decline” etc. but that is great because such excuses will make success sweeter.

He is clearly a special manager and he will win a lot of trophies with Arsenal. The fact that so many people doubt him will make his success even sweeter
If he wins it this year then I am ready to rank him above Mourinho and Pep despite their bigger achievements.but still there is a Big IF on whether he could achieve it this year.

Glad that you brought Newcastle case as nobody discusses it because they are not from original EPL top 6 teams.But don't you think Liverpool FC 2014-15 season was equally bad.

Also bro, do cast your vote too.
I don't remember much of the Liverpool Season - was it the one Gerrard slipped?

I'm not an ardent Football fan so will wait a bit to pick the poll options until the respected football analysts like @Mamoon and @Geordie Ahmed and others give their opinion.

Yep bro. You are right. It does is somewhere above in that list. And that too under Sir Alex Ferguson 🤔. Still unbelievable. This reminds me of augeroooo... Line of Martin Tyler.

But remember Arsenal in 1998/99 season done the same worst bottling. When they were on top until 36th week but lost a match against lowly Leeds United even a draw against them would have been enough for them to secure premiership. They lost it by merely 1 point.
The 98/99 wasn't a bottle job, both teams were pretty much neck and neck from xmas to game week 36. There could have even been a playoff game to decide the title that season as points, GD etc.. were pretty similar with few games left.

The 98/99 wasn't a bottle job, both teams were pretty much neck and neck from xmas to game week 36. There could have even been a playoff game to decide the title that season as points, GD etc.. were pretty similar with few games left.
But bro the opposition was leeds United not Manchester United. My point is the Gunners dropped the title in a clash with a decent rather than extraordinary opponent.

I don't remember much of the Liverpool Season - was it the one Gerrard slipped?

I'm not an ardent Football fan so will wait a bit to pick the poll options until the respected football analysts like Mamoon and Geordie Ahmed and others give their opinion.
Sure bro NP and yep it was the Steven Gerrard one also when Suarez used to be a part of LFC. And he left Lfc bcoz of this bottling and then he moved to Barcelona

But bro the opposition was leeds United not Manchester United. My point is the Gunners dropped the title in a clash with a decent rather than extraordinary opponent.
Leeds finished 4th that season, not exactly week opposition, united had an easier game against relegated Blackburn. Please get you facts right at least.

You are clutching at straws here. Leeds finished 5th, 4th and 3rd for 3 consecutive seasons at the time. They had a very good team.

Having to go away to leeds 2nd to last game was tough as it came.

Arsenal bottled titles in 02/03 (8 point lead in march), 07/08 (eduardo injury) and last season.

Leeds finished 4th that season, not exactly week opposition, united had an easier game against relegated Blackburn. Please get you facts right at least.

You are clutching at straws here. Leeds finished 5th, 4th and 3rd for 3 consecutive seasons at the time. They had a very good team.

Having to go away to leeds 2nd to last game was tough as it came.
Thanks for the correction bro. I had the leeds of 2000s in my mind didn't notice they were good then.

Is this a trick question?

No doubt Arsenal are the biggest bottlers, and the pinnacle of bottling was last season when 8 points clear, some of their fans were cheering - it's in the bag - and yup, just like clockwork, Arteta tactics were exposed, bottled it, so much so he was contemplating his future at Arsenal. This is why Arteta can only win the EPL through attrition, not tactics, strategy or money, and hence why Arsenal are in the top 4 of late since the likes of Chelsea and Man U are in decline, and this season we can add Man City to the list too.

Gerrard slipping is not a bottle job, it was sheer misfortune (no manager instructs their players to slip!). A bottle job is when it is just you and the winning line, no one else, a clear run, but only to cream your pants because you followed the instructions of your manager - example - the next Pep, Arteta. I feel sorry for the genuine Arsenal fans who have to put up with a wannabe Pep - Arteta - who clearly didn't learn much from Pep either and is riding on the decline of other teams.

As for Liverpool, even if you grant the notion Liverpool bottled an EPL title, they still won the CL under Klopp - a pipe dream for Arsenal.

No doubt Arsenal are the biggest bottlers, and the pinnacle of bottling was last season when 8 points clear, some of their fans were cheering - it's in the bag - and yup, just like clockwork, Arteta tactics were exposed, bottled it, so much so he was contemplating his future at Arsenal. This is why Arteta can only win the EPL through attrition, not tactics, strategy or money, and hence why Arsenal are in the top 4 of late since the likes of Chelsea and Man U are in decline, and this season we can add Man City to the list too.

Gerrard slipping is not a bottle job, it was sheer misfortune (no manager instructs their players to slip!). A bottle job is when it is just you and the winning line, no one else, a clear run, but only to cream your pants because you followed the instructions of your manager - example - the next Pep, Arteta. I feel sorry for the genuine Arsenal fans who have to put up with a wannabe Pep - Arteta - who clearly didn't learn much from Pep either and is riding on the decline of other teams.

As for Liverpool, even if you grant the notion Liverpool bottled an EPL title, they still won the CL under Klopp - a pipe dream for Arsenal.
Yep you raised a very good point here. Arsenal rise also has to do with Chelsea's downfall post abrahimovich exit and Man utd downfall post Alex Ferguson era besides their own improvement.

And the most interesting see to observe this year is that Arsenal is kind of at top right now followed by liverpool. So this season is going to ultimately decide who justifies the tag of "biggest bottler" more than another.

We aren't talking about bottle job managers here. It's bottle job teams

Last edited by a moderator:
We are not talking about managers here.

Man utds 11/12 is the biggest bottle job in PL history.

It's the biggest lead thrown away with least number of games left in league season. Also united were in red hot form at the time.

8 points clear with 6 games left.

So it mean Man united need 11 points from their last 6 games, or if the avoided defeat at the Eithad they needed 8 points from 5 games.

Have a look at their fixtures as well

Wigan (A)
Aston Villa (H)
Everton (H)
Man city (A)
Swansea (H)
Sunderland (A)

Going into the Wigan game Man utd had won 8 games in a row and 11 out of 12 in the Premier league. So a team which had taken 34 out of possible 36 points went into their last 6 games needing the 2 scenarios I mentioned.

Because of the Aguero moment, the actual united bottle job collapse goes under the radar

Arsenal's collapse was the 2nd worse, have a look at breakdown of my Man united collapse. Yeah Arsenal's collapse was bad due to one cheer leader getting over excited and then running off like a coward, plus an incompetent manager.

United collapse was with 6 games left (8 points) - united were won 11 drawn 1 going into those last 6 games.

Liverpools Gerrard was a bottle job as well, not only to lose to an understrength Chelsea, but also throwing away a 3-0 lead away to palace.

Yep totally agree on that because two late dramatic goals in the extra time and winning title on GD dwarfs much of the bottling that Man Utd did in 2011/12.

You can also cast vote on this bro.
Because of the Aguero moment, the actual united bottle job collapse goes under

Arteta never played for a title winning team in his prime years. How can he be a bottler?

Arteta has made so many tough calls as manager and most of them were correct. Very few managers would have the guts to make those calls and he is one of them.

Aubameyang was a bad influence and the fact that Arteta banished him made it clear who the boss in the dressing room was and it was a pivotal moment that changed the culture of the club and set Arsenal on the path to success.

Arteta took Arsenal from a club that was struggling to stay in the top 10 to a club that is now challenging for the title. He did that while spending less money than Chelsea and United who were both stronger than Arsenal when he took over.

He is clearly a special manager and he will win a lot of trophies with Arsenal. The fact that so many people doubt him will make his success even sweeter.

I can already see the excuses though - “got lucky”, “took advantage of others’ decline” etc. but that is great because such excuses will make success sweeter.
@Mamoon, & @Amjid Javed well it's been just one game after Christmas and West Ham have dethroned Arsenal from top at their own Home. So is there another bottle job coming?

IYKYK. Still the no.1 team in this area no body can't even dare to beat them here. 😁 😜😎_20240103_175234.JPG

Suprised nobody has mentioned Man City up until last season had never won the UCL and found numerous ways to bottle it for several years.

The Team and the Manager and the opponents they were getting knocked out by while being favourites is a bottle job.

Even year before they won it... They lost their bottle in the semi vs Madrid.

Due to Arsenal getting the headlines last season. Dortmund somewhat went under the radar.

They had to win their last game at home to win the league but could only manage a draw against an average opponent and Bayern nicked it.

Big Bottle job

Due to Arsenal getting the headlines last season. Dortmund somewhat went under the radar.

They had to win their last game at home to win the league but could only manage a draw against an average opponent and Bayern nicked it.

Big Bottle job
Yep bro,it went under the radar but mind you dortmund is just the Arsenal version of Bundes liga.

Thanks for bringing up 1996, still hurts to this very day

We bottled the title big time, ultimately Keegan's limitations came to the fore and a lack of belief was our undoing, people talk about the "I love it" rant as the pivotal moment but it was lost before then, that was just the public emotion of Keegan pretty much chucking in the towel

Such a sliding doors moment as well as it's mostly been mediocrity for us since (barring a short spell under Robson)

It's difficult to answer who are the biggest bottlers, think all clubs have had moments of it and although we only had one major bottle moment it's a bit cheeky for me to mock others for having more moments when in reality they've gotten into positions I'm envious of (Though with it being football that doesn't stop us, lol)

If I was pressed into picking I think it's between Arsenal and Spurs, for having more of these moments and with it being a bit fresh I think I'd vote Arsenal

Big Bottle job

Yes, that was bottling it on another scale

It was ridiculous watching it

This was a Mainz side that had lost 4 on the bounce in the league and they rocked up and Dortmund just capitulated

Big Bottle job
What a pathetic job by Arteta. Sack him ASAP. He brought guys like Kai Havertz and won't even bring a good striker in January transfer too.

Yep after today's performance your above statement gets vindicated again.

What a pathetic job by Arteta. Sack him ASAP. He brought guys like Kai Havertz and won't even bring a good striker in January transfer too.

Yep after today's performance your above statement gets vindicated again.
Football and bottling has been around for way longer than the last few years

Losing an FA cup tie at home to Liverpool is hardly the height of bottling especially when the original question is history of football.

Belgium with their talent pool also get a mention.

England have had some good teams over the years to and losing to Croatia in a world cup semi wow! And the numerous shoot out losses.

I think it's short memories if you think Arsenal are kings if bottling

In just a matter of week, Klopp has ruined his legacy and again brought liverpool in the race of bottlers. Utterly embarrassing

Well nobody voted for PSG yet, but still they keep on bottling it at UCL stage.
_20240508_225351.JPG

Back