Luis Suarez charged by the FA with racially abusing Patrice Evra

Theo_14

Post of the Week winner
Runs
Post of the Week
_56084372_suarezevra.jpg

Evra (right) was shown a yellow card after clashing with Suarez

The Football Association will investigate claims that Manchester United's Patrice Evra was racially abused by Liverpool's Luis Suarez.

Evra says the incident occurred in Saturday's 1-1 draw between the teams.

A Liverpool spokesman told the Press Association that Suarez "categorically denied" the allegation.

An FA statement read: "Referee Andre Marriner was made aware of an allegation at the end of the fixture and has reported this to the FA."

It added: "The FA will now begin making enquiries into the matter."

Evra was quoted as telling French TV station Canal Plus: "There are cameras, you can see him [Suarez] say a certain word to me at least 10 times."

The game at Anfield ended 1-1 after Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard's free-kick was cancelled out by Javier Hernandez's late header for United.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15324927.stm

Last edited:
Suarez charged over Evra incident

Luis Suarez says he is "upset" about being accused of racially abusing Manchester United defender Patrice Evra during Saturday's Premier League match.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15328769.stm

Also this is very interesting, taken from Wikipedia... Check his out,

When Suárez was in South Africa for the World Cup, he became involved in charity work that supported solidarity. Suárez cares about social inequality and in his work he fights against religious, racial and social discrimination.

Last edited:
The fact Evra is pushing it this far, I feel Suarez might have said something racist.

Happens in the heat of the moment, but it's unacceptable.

There were reports of man u not being fully behind evra, don't know how true that is

but if noone heard it and noone can lip read suarez looks like evra's going to have great difficulty proving it

There were reports of man u not being fully behind evra, don't know how true that is

but if noone heard it and noone can lip read suarez looks like evra's going to have great difficulty proving it

Its seriously hard for cameras not to pick something up if it was said to Evra a minimum of 10 times as he claims.

I read somewhere that some players may become character witnesses and the list is interesting... shoplifter, the adulterer who "missed" a drug test, the drunk-driver, the guy made her abort their kid.

Last edited by a moderator:
wouldnt believe anything evra says

hes a bit of a douche

As much as I don't like Evra, I refuse to believe that Evra would be lying... I mean what would he 'gain' by lying about something which is considered so serious everywhere?

Lying will only damage his reputation and he will only punish himself, I doubt that will happen because I personally don't think the Frenchman is lying.

Its seriously hard for cameras not to pick something up if it was said to Evra a minimum of 10 times as he claims.

I read somewhere that some players may become character witnesses and the list is interesting... shoplifter, the adulterer who "missed" a drug test, the drunk-driver, the guy made her abort their kid.

I don't know who you're describing but I think it could be anyone from Joey Barton's family, including Joey Barton himself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evra is a **** faced **** and i probably think hes lying!

Aint 1st time hes made such bogus claims.

Evra is a **** faced **** and i probably think hes lying!

Aint 1st time hes made such bogus claims.

Evra does seem to have a chip on his shoulder about the colour of his skin.

Had a 'racial' spat with the Chelsea groundsman.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/jul/19/premierleague.chelsea

Finnan was accused of being racist towards Evra too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2006/mar/01/newsstory.sport4

And he's accused the Senegalese fans of being racist towards him too.

Patrice Evra has revealed that he was racially abused for choosing France over Senegal.
Evra will lead France out against Uruguay in Cape Town on Friday, but the Manchester United defender decided to overlook Senegal, the country where he was born, to represent France at international level.

"I grew up amid a Senegalese culture at home." Evra said. "But we became westernised very quickly and when I had to choose between playing for Senegal or France my father told me to follow my heart.

"I opted for France, as that was where I had grown up, but I then came in for lots of abuse in Senegal.

"I was called a monkey who grovels before the white man and labelled a money-obsessed traitor to the nation. But my parents helped me get through it.

"I had not been back to Senegal since the age of 10. I have still not returned. It is 19 years now and I need an incentive to make me go."

Poor Evra, he does'nt seem to have much luck and everyone seems out to get him.

evras just an attention seeker! He was happy to kiss the united badge at anfield during the game towards the crowd full off liverpool fans. Now hes crying about so called abuse?

Any update on this? Not sure when the FA investigation will be over regarding this BUT if Evra is making false statements then he can't get any lower. I'll be really dissapointed if this happens.

Also Terry was accused of racist remarks against Anton Ferdinand, but that has quickly been cleared up, and yet this investigation's progress is dragging.

Lot's of this talk of racist remarks in the EPL over the last week. I suspect it probably does happen. But it seems like the FA are just going to brush it under the carpet as you will never get proof of something like this.

Any update on this? Not sure when the FA investigation will be over regarding this BUT if Evra is making false statements then he can't get any lower. I'll be really dissapointed if this happens.

Also Terry was accused of racist remarks against Anton Ferdinand, but that has quickly been cleared up, and yet this investigation's progress is dragging.

But how will you ever know he is making false statements? He may be telling the truth but it may be very difficult to prove otherwise.

(Disclaimer: I am not saying Suarez did it, I am just saying its hard to prove. So would be very difficult to say Evra is "low" and a liar)

But how will you ever know he is making false statements? He may be telling the truth but it may be very difficult to prove otherwise.

(Disclaimer: I am not saying Suarez did it, I am just saying its hard to prove. So would be very difficult to say Evra is "low" and a liar)

The burden of proof is on Evra as he said Suarez said nigg*r to him atleast 10 times. It should be fairly easy to get footage of atleast one incident.

well he has recently accused the entire manchester city team of rape

so i dont know what to believe anymore

Suarez charged by F.A over the Evra incident discuss

"The FA has today charged Liverpool's Luis Suarez following an incident that occurred during the Liverpool versus Manchester United fixture at Anfield on 15 October 2011.

"It is alleged that Suarez used abusive and/or insulting words and/or behaviour towards Manchester United's Patrice Evra contrary to FA rules.

"It is further alleged that this included a reference to the ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race of Patrice Evra.

"The FA will issue no further comment at this time."

whats going to happen? can anyone prove he was racist.

this might be the end to his career in england.

Pat is vindicated. Suarez wouldn't have been charged unless there was clear evidence. Hope he gets the book thrown at him.

Pat is vindicated. Suarez wouldn't have been charged unless there was clear evidence. Hope he gets the book thrown at him.

No he isn't

It is just a charge at the moment. Time will tell if there is any evidence

Also how bloody slow are the FA, this happened ages ago

Though UEFA are not much better with their dealing of the Rooney appeal

The genius that is Sepp Blatter

"There is no racism, but maybe there is a word or gesture which is not the correct one," he told CNN World Sport.

"The one affected by this should say this is a game and shake hands."

No he isn't

Also how bloody slow are the FA, this happened ages ago

Though UEFA are not much better with their dealing of the Rooney appeal

I believe the nature of the case required the FA to look into the case thoroughly and get lawyers involved before they could charge anyone.

Also i believe gave the clubs a bit of a cooling down period to see where it goes, no one backed down.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...been-blocked-article822175.html#ixzz1c3uwToVI

Manchester United defender Evra accused Liverpool's Uruguayan striker of racially abusing him during their clash a fortnight ago and told sources in France he called him a “n*****”

But the Mirror understands the row centres around the Spanish word “negro” having a different meaning culturally, and not being as offensive in that language as it is in English.

Yeah makes sense. Start trading insults and then decide to speak Spanish to a Frenchmen. Not saying Suarez is guilty, this is just a report at this point but I remember how when it happened most non-United supporters were labeling Evra a liar and he should be punished. Slowly they are looking a little bit more foolish.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...been-blocked-article822175.html#ixzz1c3uwToVI

Yeah makes sense. Start trading insults and then decide to speak Spanish to a Frenchmen. Not saying Suarez is guilty, this is just a report at this point but I remember how when it happened most non-United supporters were labeling Evra a liar and he should be punished. Slowly they are looking a little bit more foolish.

Actually it does, Suarez speaks Spanish so him trading insults in Spanish is not that difficult to comprehend. Plenty of times I have heard asians start swearing at others in Mirpuri/Punjabi etc etc

On the word Negro I did notice when I went to holiday in Spain that they use that word like an everyday word, though that possibly is down to them being racist

Actually it does, Suarez speaks Spanish so him trading insults in Spanish is not that difficult to comprehend. Plenty of times I have heard asians start swearing at others in Mirpuri/Punjabi etc etc

On the word Negro I did notice when I went to holiday in Spain that they use that word like an everyday word, though that possibly is down to them being racist

Another media report it is a substitute for "mate." If true, then why not use the word mate....why would you use that word? You are in England and I for one second don't believe that there was some sort of mix up between Suarez and Evra. If he did use that word, he definitely knew what he was saying (and to Evra's claim, he said it 10 times, clearly he knew what he was doing).

Another media report it is a substitute for "mate." If true, then why not use the word mate....why would you use that word? You are in England and I for one second don't believe that there was some sort of mix up between Suarez and Evra. If he did use that word, he definitely knew what he was saying (and to Evra's claim, he said it 10 times, clearly he knew what he was doing).

I definitely disagree with the 'mate' comment, if he called him a negro then that is what he meant

No he isn't

Respectfully disagree. If there was no evidence to back up Evra's claim, the FA would have no basis on which to charge Suarez and so would have ended the whole investigation process. They would not have charged him on the basis of hearsay alone, there must be some footage or other evidence which corroborates Evra's claim.

Last edited:
Well FA have charged Suarez, now... Does that mean that FA are 'convinced' that Suarez has actually made racist comments? Infact do they any evidence regarding this?

The thing here is that... Suarez hasn't pleaded guilty and despite the charge - he's still sticking to his original statement :-

Luis remains determined to clear his name of the allegation made against him by Patrice Evra. The club remain fully supportive of Luis in this matter.

Liverpool.com

We all know that someone is lying - and I HOPE FA catch him out. If these allegations made by Evra are true then I am truly disgusted by Suarez.

Respectfully disagree. If there was no evidence to back up Evra's claim, the FA would have no basis on which to charge Suarez and so would have ended the whole investigation process. They would not have charged him on the basis of hearsay alone, there must be some footage or other evidence which corroborates Evra's claim.

Disagree all you like BUT a charge does not equate to being guilty

Disagree all you like BUT a charge does not equate to being guilty

Where did I say that it did?

I don't think you understood my point, which was that Suarez would never have been charged purely on the basis of what Evra said when he accused Suarez. There must be some evidence which backs up the accusation. Whether Suarez can explain that he meant something else, or never thought the term he used was offensive etc is a different issue.

But the fact remains that the FA wouldn' have charged Suarez unless there was something which implicated him.

LOL..what a joke! so they take the word of a man who's an utter c*nt himself? and just on his word, they decide to charge him? where's the evidence/proof?

LOL..what a joke! so they take the word of a man who's an utter c*nt himself? and just on his word, they decide to charge him? where's the evidence/proof?

Well they wouldn't charge him if they didn't feel they had a case.

(BTW to your first argument, Suarez is a big c*nt himself, thus they can't take his word either :D)

Well they wouldn't charge him if they didn't feel they had a case.

(BTW to your first argument, Suarez is a big c*nt himself, thus they can't take his word either :D)

just like they had a case when Evra accused Chelsea's groundsman that he was a racist? yeap then for sure he has a case. LOL Suarez IS a c*nt but for cases like these, you need evidence. Evidence which they don't have or they wouldn't have used the "allegedly" so many times in their release.

I think Suarez will not be found guilty because of no evidence but this will have tarnished his image even more so job done for Fergie and Evra. But little do they realise, he'll come out fighting like a tiger after this :akhtar

8 match ban and £40,000 fan and yet Lawrenson is saying its harsh on the BBC right now.

Huge egg on Dalglish's face. Liverpool lost their class during this case. Terry is next.

like markhor said in other thread suarez is from a multicultural background himself and his grandfather is black

im with him on this

brilliant striker and a media hunt is destroying his image

i hate patrice evra and refuse to believe anything he says aftr accusing laurent blanc of racism and causing disruptions in the french team

hes a instigator and a liar...end of

if it was anybody else i would have believed it...just not patrice evra

Just read Markhors (as usual) excellent post. I didn't know his grandfather was black.

Liverpool go in hard with a statement -

Liverpool Football Club is very surprised and disappointed with the decision of the Football Association Commission to find Luis Suarez guilty of the charges against him.

We look forward to the publication of the Commission's Judgment. We will study the detailed reasons of the Commission once they become available, but reserve our right to appeal or take any other course of action we feel appropriate with regards to this situation.

We find it extraordinary that Luis can be found guilty on the word of Patrice Evra alone when no-one else on the field of play - including Evra's own Manchester United teammates and all the match officials - heard the alleged conversation between the two players in a crowded Kop goalmouth while a corner kick was about to be taken.

The Club takes extremely seriously the fight against all forms of discrimination and has a long and successful track record in work relating to anti-racist activity and social inclusion. We remain committed to this ideal and equality for all, irrespective of a person's background.

LFC considers racism in any form to be unacceptable - without compromise. It is our strong held belief, having gone over the facts of the case, that Luis Suarez did not commit any racist act. It is also our opinion that the accusation by this particular player was not credible - certainly no more credible than his prior unfounded accusations.

It is key to note that Patrice Evra himself in his written statement in this case said 'I don't think that Luis Suarez is racist'. The FA in their opening remarks accepted that Luis Suarez was not racist.

Luis himself is of a mixed race family background as his grandfather was black. He has been personally involved since the 2010 World Cup in a charitable project which uses sport to encourage solidarity amongst people of different backgrounds with the central theme that the colour of a person's skin does not matter; they can all play together as a team.

He has played with black players and mixed with their families whilst with the Uruguay national side and was Captain at Ajax Amsterdam of a team with a proud multi-cultural profile, many of whom became good friends.

It seems incredible to us that a player of mixed heritage should be accused and found guilty in the way he has based on the evidence presented. We do not recognise the way in which Luis Suarez has been characterised.

It appears to us that the FA were determined to bring charges against Luis Suarez, even before interviewing him at the beginning of November. Nothing we have heard in the course of the hearing has changed our view that Luis Suarez is innocent of the charges brought against him and we will provide Luis with whatever support he now needs to clear his name.

We would also like to know when the FA intend to charge Patrice Evra with making abusive remarks to an opponent after he admitted himself in his evidence to insulting Luis Suarez in Spanish in the most objectionable of terms. Luis, to his credit, actually told the FA he had not heard the insult.

hard? I find that statement quite pathetic, very whiny and the defence that he has black relatives, mates etc is laughable

I would like to see the evidence that the FA have as it can't have been simply down to Evra's words against his

If indeed Suarez did use racist language then kudos to the FA for handing out this ban, let's hope they show some consistency and Terry is dealt with severely if found guilty

hard? I find that statement quite pathetic, very whiny and the defence that he has black relatives, mates etc is laughable

I would like to see the evidence that the FA have as it can't have been simply down to Evra's words against his

If indeed Suarez did use racist language then kudos to the FA for handing out this ban, let's hope they show some consistency and Terry is dealt with severely if found guilty

Thats the thing, he used language he deemed to be perfectly fine and not racist. Without getting into cultural differences eight games is beyond a joke.

The FA obviously have enough evidence it appears, although it's only half a weeks' wages for Suarez lol.

This decision shouldn't influence the Terry case, they should go on evidence alone no matter who the player is.

they should have banned chelseas white groundsman then aswell after evra accused him of racism too?

whats with the blatant hypocrisy

and ban laurent blanc from coaching ever again

Thats the thing though GA, I don't think Suarez meant to be racist. Cultural backgrounds etc.

Terry shouldn't play for England again

Thats the thing though GA, I don't think Suarez meant to be racist. Cultural backgrounds etc.

Terry shouldn't play for England again

Well he has learned the hard way that such language will not be tolerated in this country

In any case I don't buy the cultural argument, the guy was having an angry exchange with Evra so he was obviously not using friendly language, he wanted to insult Evra and he chose words which are not acceptable in this country

Thats the thing, he used language he deemed to be perfectly fine and not racist. Without getting into cultural differences eight games is beyond a joke.

8 games is a joke when you consider that someone using racist language in the crowd would probably be banned for 3 years

It does portray a strong message though. Racism is not on. If you get caught, you pay the price.

He has lived in Europa for more than 7 years now. Do you guys really think he did not know that using the word "negro" is offensive towards a person with black skin?

And if you guys are not trusting Evra for his past history with troubles. Last year Suarez got a 7 match ban for biting a player. He is hardly an angel himself.

I really doubt that the FA would use this long time on such a delicate matter without having som real reasons for giving him a 8 match ban.

GA - 'Negrito' isnt an english term, in south america as Tim Vickery just said it isnt pejorative.

Its easy to misunderstand it and put 'Negrito' in the same bracket as a certain disgusting word used in this country but the two words arent of the same meaning or malice.

8 match ban? so players can go around breaking peoples legs and get a 3 match ban and we get an alleged racist abuse and a player can be banned for 8 games? what a joke the FA continue to be!

seriously guys who are defending Suarez, imagine calling someone a N*igger at your work place, so u will get fired straight away and would find it hard to find a job

they should have banned chelseas white groundsman then aswell after evra accused him of racism too?

whats with the blatant hypocrisy

and ban laurent blanc from coaching ever again

You speak absolute rubbish - stop spreading lies

Evra never accused the Chelsea ground staff of making a racist remark, it was the man utd goal keeping coach

and neither did he accuse Laurent Blanc of racism, show me one statement where these words came out his Evras mouth.

He didnt call him a N****R though!

Ok Niggerito in my eyes thats racist, and i would say that if it was one of my team member who radically abused a black player.

I'm sorry but calling someone a niggerito is racist no matter who you play for

Firstly, Negrito wasnt used offensively also there was no video evidence of suarez saying it.

The reason Suarez admitted to saying it, and has been surprised at the verdict, was because he felt it wasn’t used with racial overtones.

Why would he admit it knowing that if he didnt theres no way he would be caught? Because in Spanish people use the word regularly, there was a post earlier that said Pacheco used it on twitter with Thiago. Was that racist too?

As soon as he said i called him Negrito he shot himself in the foot. Unlike Terry the FA didn't have video proof.

Mate no matter what any Liverpool fans say you can not go around calling opposition players who clearly don't like each other that word.

And thats the end of it, i would say it if it was rooney or carrick saying that

I totally admit he shouldnt have said it but the FA have gone way over board, considering the circumstances and the situation they give the guy eight games whilst admitting he isnt a racist.

Its crazy and could cost us big time this season.

I totally admit he shouldnt have said it but the FA have gone way over board, considering the circumstances and the situation they give the guy eight games whilst admitting he isnt a racist.

Its crazy and could cost us big time this season.

He is a foolish player who has a very negative aura around him, WC against Ghana, Biting someone at Ajax, constant diver, waves imaginary cards around and now the racism thing - but he is one hell of a player and your best signing since Torres

I think LFC dealt with the whole situation like an amateur sunday league team, that statement they brought out after the verdict last night is an absolute joke, so many grammar mistakes and making accusations knowing very well they can't prove them and Evra can take them to court.

If Liverpool thought about this with any sense, after Suarez did most of the damage by admitting of using the word they should have gone into damage control mode, they should have accepted that he made a mistake and should have dealt it by offering him to do community projects with the local kids and attending classes where he would learn the british culture and what you can and can't say. The message should have been there is obviously a culturer difference but we accept that he was wrong.

Rather then doing that Liverpool have come out saying this is a conspiracy and Evra is wrong for complaining about it and he should be banned, Suarez can't be racist he has seen all episodes of fresh prince of bel air.

Liverpool dealt with this in the worst way possible and now are the laughing stock of Europe

Steady on, laughing stock of Europe? In Spain they are laughing at the FA not Liverpool.

Liverpool havent mentioned a conspiracy, all they said was that Evra should be punished the same amount for what he admitted regarding what he said to Suarez, which was insulting his South American roots.

Suarez is a loose cannon no doubt about that but Evra is no saint either.

Steady on, laughing stock of Europe? In Spain they are laughing at the FA not Liverpool.

Liverpool havent mentioned a conspiracy, all they said was that Evra should be punished the same amount for what he admitted regarding what he said to Suarez, which was insulting his South American roots.

Suarez is a loose cannon no doubt about that but Evra is no saint either.

Funnily enough spain is the country where England black players were abused by the fans making monkey noises whenever they touched the ball.

What did Evra say to him regarding his roots, this is news to me mate never herd of it. Are Liverpool fans making plies again

Ask any other club supporter what Suarez is and I'm sure it will be to rude to write it on here.

They are laughing in Spain 'cos they understand the language and context Suarez was using.

No I am not making up lies, go and read up on it instead of throwing accusations around.

Finally I'm sure they say lovely things about Suarez every time he makes their defenders look like clowns.

They are laughing in Spain 'cos they understand the language and context Suarez was using.

No I am not making up lies, go and read up on it instead of throwing accusations around.

Finally I'm sure they say lovely things about Suarez every time he makes their defenders look like clowns.

I swear he has scored 4 goals in the league this season .....

a strong deterrent was needed and the ban has served the purpose.

racism should be stopped at all levels

I know he is a good player but he hasn't made many defenders look like clowns especially Uniteds

I count 4 clowns.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WM4O4Da4sDI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I count 4 clowns.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WM4O4Da4sDI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

well done mate the only thing worth celebrating for you last season. while we marched on to number 19

Okay so you decide to change the topic as soon as you get proven wrong, in fact the best thing worth celebrating was getting rid of the two biggest clowns Hicks and Gillett; Beating Utd comes a close second though.

Liverpool will probably appeal the verdict, can't see it being reduced at all. LFC need to bite the bullet.

A strong message has been sent and I don't see why people find it hard to believe that Suaraz is guiilty, he was proven guilty and that should be enough about that, Liverpoor and Kenny Daglish are just pathetic aswell

Sorry, the cultural argument does not wash.

In Australia, P**i is not an offensive term. But if an Aussie cricketer or footballer were to use it here, they would rightly be in a whole heap of trouble.

Ok finally have some time to weigh in. Very funny to those that said Evra should be banned if he was lying. The same people now still believe he is lying and don't accept it . :))

As for Suarez has a black heritage. Just rubbish. Black people can be as racist as anyone else and just because you are different colour does not absolve you of any blame. Cultural differences is no excuse, otherwise all those who believe it is, then you should give the same benefit to Harbhajan in the Andrew Symonds case. You live in England, you work in England and you follow English culture. Suarez knew what he was saying, or otherwise he wouldn't have repeated it 10 times. Like Sully said, rather than make it seem like it is okay to say it (regardless of culture), just admit you were misinformed and now you know.

For Liverpool FC's role in all this, pathetic. They are a huge club but the manner they have behaved this whole saga has been amateurish. United conducted themselves professionally throughout this event; keeping quiet and saying nothing ill of Liverpool. Liverpool on the other hand were making media statements during the case and now when the result does not go in their favour, rather than do damage control or just give a simple 'we are disappointed' statement - they went one further by trying to justify what he said was okay and then accusing the victim of being a liar.

Back