Mark Waugh puts forward his top five T20I players - Shaheen Shah Afridi included

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
With the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup around the corner, Australia legend and Fox Cricket commentator Mark Waugh has joined the long list of former greats to choose the first five players they would pick in a World T20I XI.

Known for his aggression at the top of the order and his electric fielding both in the infield and the slip cordon, Waugh made 8500 ODI runs, and was a member of Australia’s 1999 Cricket World Cup-winning squad.

A gifted white-ball cricketer, the all-rounder would have likely lit up the T20 world should he have played in the modern era.

Speaking in the build-up to the 2022 T20 World Cup in Australia, Waugh stressed his list was in no particular order, but looked to the bowlers in the quintet first.

1. Jasprit Bumrah - ICC T20I Bowling Ranking: 45th

While rested for recent T20I series, Waugh believes India ace Jasprit Bumrah will no doubt fire at the tournament Down Under.

“I think he's a fantastic bowler in all formats, actually,” Waugh began, praising the quick’s versatility.

"His ability to get wickets in T20 cricket is key. He can bowl at the death and he can bowl up front.”

2. Shaheen Afridi - ICC T20I Bowling Ranking: 19th

“To open the bowling at the other end we'll go with another right opening bowler, Shaheen Afridi from Pakistan, who is a tremendous left-arm fast bowler," Waugh said.

"He's a wicket-taker. He sort of lifts the team. He's a guy that other players follow.

“He is a left-armer so that’s another point of difference. He can swing the ball back into the right-hander, he’s quick as well, so I’ve got him number two.”

3. Rashid Khan - ICC T20I Bowling Ranking: 4th

Known for his consistency with the ball, Afghanistan spinner Rashid Khan's help with the bat only helps push his case in the eyes of the Australian.

“In all competitions he plays in, he’s just the one guy who you know is going to bowl four overs," Waugh noted.

“He’ll probably get two or three wickets and go for 20 runs, and he can bat. He can also whack the ball over the fence.”

4. Jos Buttler - ICC T20I Batting Ranking: 15th

In a rich vein of batting form, the Englishman's exploits at the top of the order in both domestic and international cricket were too good for Waugh to ignore.

“I think he's probably the number one batsman in world cricket in the T20 format. He's just a clean striker of the ball," Waugh said.

“We've seen him in all tournaments, he just looks on a different level to other players.”

5. Glenn Maxwell - ICC T20I Batting Ranking: 29th / ICC T20I All-Rounder Ranking: 6th

In selecting an all-rounder, Waugh push forward the case of compatriot Glenn Maxwell.

"Glenn Maxwell is the sort of player that can win you a game in the field and with the bat," Waugh exclaimed.

“With the ball, he's probably underrated, but I think if he bats 30 balls, he'll win you the game.

"So I think Glenn Maxwell, even though he's just not a consistent player, he's that X-factor that can win your game on any given day.”

Many of Waugh's selections mirror what fellow former greats Ricky Ponting, Shane Watson and Mahela Jayawardena chose when they were asked to provide the five players they would choose in a World T20 XI on The ICC Review.

Ponting had three of the same players that Waugh chose, with India superstar Hardik Pandya and Pakistan skipper Babar Azam the two extra players the former Australia captain plumped for.

Fellow Australian Watson only had two players the same as Waugh, with the talented all-rounder also including Babar, Suryakumar Yadav and David Warner in his five.

Jayawardena had four players the same as Waugh in his top five, with Pakistan opener Mohammad Rizwan his only point of difference.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/2798184

The two batsmen he rates are rank 15 and 29 in ICC rankings

A real cricketer knows.

My top 10 players to watch for :-

1. Hardik Pandya
2. David Warner
3. Jos Buttler
4. Glenn Maxwell
5. Shaheen Shah Afridi
6. Wanindu Hasaranga
7. Rishabh Pant
8. David Miller
9. Shadab Khan
10. Cameron Green

:inti

It is not fair to put Shaheen and Bumrah in the top 5 considering both have been layed off for quite some time.

T20 cricket is a very fast moving game, you can be in and out of form within days and you can spiral out of form or never regain your peak if you are out for some time.

Currently, I would argue Harris Rauf is a better T20i bowler than Shaheen.

Rauf is an outstanding middle and death overs bowler whereas Shaheen is an extremely potent new ball threat only

Top 5

Sharjeel Manj Khan

Sir Korma Biryani Fraz

Imad Sheeran

Jobber Ayoob

Hackar Zaman

Great list.

Not sure if Maxwell should be there though. I would put Rizwan or SKY.

Well if you ask him he will rate Rizz above Fat Sharjeel too. A real cricketer knows

Bumrah after injury usually takes time to find his rhythm. But he is one of the best at the MCG. Better average/SR than Holding/Ambrose at the MCG in Tests. He generates a disconcerting bounce there. All down to how good he is after a break. India has played 2 tests with Bumrah at the MCG. Won both. He picked 15 wickets in 2 tests. Two T20s. picked 3 wickets. India has never lost a match at the MCG with Bumrah.

SKY has to be there based on the current form. Best T20 batter in the Indian cricket team atm.

Tim David should be there, he'll do better than Maxwell.. he'll be their trump card..

Forget Babar- Rizwan, I would pick an out of form Maxwell ahead of Rohit and Kohli (in their prime) in T20 any day.

Most Australians would

They are champions for a reason. Champion cricket nation that understand cricket

:)) How many Australians have you seen that move around the field like Sharjeel Khan from past or present?

David Boon etc used to be lightning in the field even though they were shaped like that and he used to play in the 80’s.

:)) How many Australians have you seen that move around the field like Sharjeel Khan from past or present?

David Boon etc used to be lightning in the field even though they were shaped like that and he used to play in the 80’s.

They all fetched the ball from the stands when he blasted them around the park 5 years ago

Anyone who clicks will be top 5. It is absolutely impossible to predict who will cick. Nobody thought Mitch Marsh would be a hero after his inepty display in Bangladesh and warm up game.

How classy was Mark Waugh imagine a team of these players in their prime playing T20

1.Mark waugh
2.Desmond Haynes
3.Aravinda
4.Lara
5.Martin Crowe
6.Lance Klusener
7.Kaluwitharna
8.Wasim Akram
9.Curtly Ambrose
10.Saqlain
11. McGrath

Back