Mayank Agarwal - Next big thing for India?

ehtesham

Local Club Regular
Runs
i saw him play in the u-19 world cup last year and he looked quite devestating... lets c wat he does for his ipl side r.c.b....

Did you just see him in the IPL?

If so..
Jerk that knee.

he is yet to play.. he plays for bangalore n bangalore r gona play their match after the rajasthan deccan match

Hes been compared to Shewag since his U19 days and plays a lot like him to... Very exciting talent

I don't think he's gonna get better now that he has got in to ipl

Too early to call. Hate it when people start assuming that a new player can be the next Sehwag or Tendu.

Let them build their own identity.

i heard he is v good and super aggressive ...the way kochi are going he needs to be :)))

Is this the Mayank Agarwal you were talking about, the one who is taking Murali to cleaners?
But India doesnt need batsmen, bowlers chahiye!

Is this the Mayank Agarwal you were talking about, the one who is taking Murali to cleaners?
But India doesnt need batsmen, bowlers chahiye!
exactly.. i don think there is any other mayank agarwal:p

Last edited:
u got a big heart, counting murali as Indian:afridi

j/k
u didn't get me... actually i was replying to statsman... he asked about agarwal n then said k batsmen nai "bowlers chaiey" n i wrote about agarwal in first reply but forgot to mention the bowling stuff so i posted in another post... hope u get it now

@ehtes
got it now .. as the other poster said, any talent coming out from IPL would be good for IPL only...we would never have a sehwag, forget sachin..

but again, the ranji players are paid so good these days....there are players who get 20-30 lakhs per annum...

@statsman:
u r rite.. getting out to jadeja means getting out of a free hit..lol.. but in dis case there's no second life

watched the ipl game he looks to be a very good player
actually i like him coz he plays ahmed shehzad's style.... i mean he plays wid utmost confidence.... hopin to c ur avatar man having a sooper dooper windies tour inshaALLAH..

Looked an average Player to me !!!

looked more of a slogger than a proper batsman ....

Looked an average Player to me !!!

looked more of a slogger than a proper batsman ....
yeah quite rite... but technique is not the only thing dat does it for u... intent is the thing dat lets one flourish.... totaly agree dat hez a slogger but intent is always there in his batting

yeah quite rite... but technique is not the only thing dat does it for u... intent is the thing dat lets one flourish.... totaly agree dat hez a slogger but intent is always there in his batting
naah his defence is way better than that of a slogger. I have seen him bat in domestic . What he needs is good shot selection ala sehwag.

we have batsmen anyways would be a long time before he gets even close to reckoning

No I am not talking about technique ... Likes of Sehwag , Gayle dont have technique but they still look at ease against any kind of bowling ... Agarwal was looking un-easy against average bowlers

naah his defence is way better than that of a slogger. I have seen him bat in domestic . What he needs is good shot selection ala sehwag.

we have batsmen anyways would be a long time before he gets even close to reckoning

He didnt look good to me though that is only a personal opinion....

I dont think he has played any First-class or even list-A matches so i dont know where have u seen him bat in domestic cricket ??

From what i saw he was troubled by all the pace bowlers .... he was slogging all the time

I dont think he has played any First-class or even list-A matches so i dont know where have u seen him bat in domestic cricket ??

From what i saw he was troubled by all the pace bowlers .... he was slogging all the time
i didn't c him playing any domestic match... i just saw him play in the last year u-19 world cup and he looked quite confident to me....
u r also right dat he was luking awkward at the crease to mediocre bowlers... but didn't u notice the spice in the deck??? dat spice made low quality bowlers like sreesanth and rp singh luk great seam bowlers.... dats my take mate

If he is Pakistani, he would have been already elevated here to the most talented youngster:inzi in the world by now.

If he is Pakistani, he would have been already elevated here to the most talented youngster:inzi in the world by now.

Ab aisi bhi baat nahi :p

This Guy still hasnt done anything of note !!!

hasnt even played first class cricket

so what??? if some one has da talent y not adore him??? talent doesn't mean u have all the gud shots in ur book... talent can be in the form of confidence... confidence to go after any great bowler... like he did today by spanking first ball of murali's spell over square leg boundary for a six...

so what??? if some one has da talent y not adore him??? talent doesn't mean u have all the gud shots in ur book... talent can be in the form of confidence... confidence to go after any great bowler... like he did today by spanking first ball of murali's spell over square leg boundary for a six...

he looked good against spin like all Indians do ... but he looked awkward against average Pacers ...

I dont consider him as exceptional talent ...

i saw him in the cooch behar trophy when i was visting karnataka and had time to kill :)

the problem with him is he is far too aggressive but has the ability to defend the good ball. He wont be near the indian team for the next 3 years unless something drastic happens.

Another bloke to watch out for ashok meneria (good leggie apart from a solid left hand bat). Varun aaron and nechim should be in limelight consideing our dwindling fast bowling stocks

Saw bit of his batting last night on TV. Definitely Sehwag 2.0 this guy !!!

Sehwag looks ordinary whenever he fails, its the ^^big heart^^ that prevails on the biggest stage !

Sehwag in his very short innings also give us exceptional view of his talent. But Mayank wasn't able pick RP Singh. lol. He was reading the length very late.

Sehwag in his very short innings also give us exceptional view of his talent. But Mayank wasn't able pick RP Singh. lol. He was reading the length very late.
so u r saying dat sehwag has been playing the same as he does now since he played his first game??? if u r... den u must be kidding... have a luk at start of sehwag's career, he never got those big hundreds or even a fluent 30 odd as he does now.... it was just his first game n u cannot count anyone out in a single shot..... technicaly pandey miles ahead of him

He is know Sehwag, but he swings it like him to anything pitches outside off :)

Sehwag is an absolute original, no one can mimic him. Even Dilshan

IMHO, Manish Pandey is more serious talent
technicaly n tempramentaly pandey miles ahead.... but when it comes to confidence n intent... for me agarwal has the advantage..... but yes pandey is a type of batsmen who can easily replace a player of kohli's caliber... so yes a good back up to have

so u r saying dat sehwag has been playing the same as he does now since he played his first game??? if u r... den u must be kidding... have a luk at start of sehwag's career, he never got those big hundreds or even a fluent 30 odd as he does now.... it was just his first game n u cannot count anyone out in a single shot..... technicaly pandey miles ahead of him

Oh my frd, who said that? Sehwag didn't look that much uneasy against the seamers whether he didn't scored a century or quick fire 30. But Mayank was clearly struggling. He was reading the length so late.

The comparison between Sehwag and Mayank makes mayank look more rubbish. And they both should not be compared. As for the 1st match, India has better players than Mayank and RCB also.

Very Dodgy technique against pacers, don't seems to having different gears (always tries to play airy shots). So far whatever I have seen of Mayank does not boost any sort of confidence in me to say he is a future star for India.

Looks more like India's version of Shehzaib or Shehzad

Very Dodgy technique against pacers, don't seems to having different gears (always tries to play airy shots). So far whatever I have seen of Mayank does not boost any sort of confidence in me to say he is a future star for India.

Yeap he looks to attack every ball and his feet movements are minimal.

On other side KKR's Iqbal Abdullah will definitely play for India.

Yeap he looks to attack every ball and his feet movements are minimal.

On other side KKR's Iqbal Abdullah will definitely play for India.

Besides Bowling, Iqbal is live wire in the field and that's a pretty big bonus for him ahead of Ojha (who is good spinner but average fielder)

Besides Bowling, Iqbal is live wire in the field and that's a pretty big bonus for him ahead of Ojha (who is good spinner but average fielder)

And also he is a decent batsman, this guy averages 34.5 in domestic with a high score of 150 not out.

i think making in to this indian team will be hard unless they move to the channei team first catch ms dhobi's eye then might get in to the team,,,,

still most of thse player have time on their hands and have to wait until the like of sachin call it a day,,,,
the future boast's well for india in batting .. but when hasn't it.

its the bowling where the problem is,,,,
i think pak and india can start part exchanging...

:facepalm: Agarwal is worse. Both Shahzaib and Shehzad play pacers well. While Agarwal look like a sitting duck against pacers. Edging the ball here and there.

Last edited:
:facepalm: Agarwal is worse. Both Shahzaib and Shehzad play pacers well. While Agarwal look like a sitting duck against pacers. Edging the ball here ad there.

You are right, what I meant was this boy does not know to construct innings with regular singles. All he tries to do in the middle is playing cross batted shots and slashing outside off stump ball after ball. I just hope he continues his poor form against our bowlers as well (CSK)

You are right, what I meant was this boy does not know to construct innings with regular singles. All he tries to do in the middle is playing cross batted shots and slashing outside off stump ball after ball. I just hope he continues his poor form against our bowlers as well (CSK)

Hmmm. I hope he makes way for Manish Pandey.

i think making in to this indian team will be hard unless they move to the channei team first catch ms dhobi's eye then might get in to the team,,,,

still most of thse player have time on their hands and have to wait until the like of sachin call it a day,,,,

i think pak and india can start part exchanging...[/QUOTE]

no thanks. our team is doing well with our average bowlers like Zaheer, Munaf and Ishant. we dont want super phaaast bowlers from your team. We are ODI world Champions and No1 test team. Dont want players from No6 Ranked test team or SF World Cup loser.lol.

i think pak and india can start part exchanging...[/QUOTE]

no thanks. our team is doing well with our average bowlers like Zaheer, Munaf and Ishant. we dont want super phaaast bowlers from your team. We are ODI world Champions and No1 test team. Dont want players from No6 Ranked test team or SF World Cup loser.lol.
lol u took the suggestion seriously ..... as if we wud want ur players ..... we have at least produced 50 + avg batsmen .....when have u ever produced sub 25 avg bowlers .......... dream on pal we have always been a better side go check ur teams record against major nations ....most of them beat u with their hands tied ......... go check ur record its a joke...... as they say tigers at home ***** cats abroad ........ there is a reason ur record abroad is so pathetic ........ TRUNDLERS :wasim!!!

lol u took the suggestion seriously ..... as if we wud want ur players ..... we have at least produced 50 + avg batsmen .....when have u ever produced sub 25 avg bowlers .......... dream on pal we have always been a better side go check ur teams record against major nations ....most of them beat u with their hands tied ......... go check ur record its a joke...... as they say tigers at home ***** cats abroad ........ there is a reason ur record abroad is so pathetic ........ TRUNDLERS :wasim!!!

lol. Yeah Pakistan may have won more useless ODI series against many teams (that too in the past), but India have won two world cups (time to brag:)). Just win the second world cup and then talk to me, until then keep quite.:asif

lol. Yeah Pakistan may have won more useless ODI series against many teams (that too in the past), but India have won two world cups (time to brag:)). Just win the second world cup and then talk to me, until then keep quite.:asif

test +odi ............. corrected............. pakistan will always b the greater team live with it ........ u won the world cup in 83 b4 pak did in 92 did it change anything ........... NO it didnt

test +odi ............. corrected............. pakistan will always b the greater team live with it ........ u won the world cup in 83 b4 pak did in 92 did it change anything ........... NO it didnt

I dont understand what you are trying to say with those dots.

If you take test matches, yes Pakistan's overall record is better than India but I am talking about the current team and current players like Zaheer, and other bowlers. What does, having a better overall test record, have to do with current team's performance. India are a number 1 test team now. If you compare test records between India and Pakistan in the last 5 yrs are so, as most of the players in both teams have been playing in the past 5 yrs, India have a far better test record.

I dont understand what you are trying to say with those dots.

If you take test matches, yes Pakistan's overall record is better than India but I am talking about the current team and current players like Zaheer, and other bowlers. What does, having a better overall test record, have to do with current team's performance. India are a number 1 test team now. If you compare test records between India and Pakistan in the last 5 yrs are so, as most of the players in both teams have been playing in the past 5 yrs, India have a far better test record.

So you are ignoring the overall facts and figures. Accept that PAK has a better record. Then try to convince others. Don't act blind.

One more failure for Mayank, BTW RCB made a mess of their batting order today

One more failure for Mayank, BTW RCB made a mess of their batting order today

Definitely. De villiers should be up the order. Didn't the sent Zaheer Khan at one down position last time :)) :)). RCB is going nuts.

Last edited:
Mayank Agarwal scored a record 2141 across formats in Indian domestic season

Mayank Agarwal has definitely got himself in queue for Indian team, says chief selector MSK Prasad

After a successful tour of South Africa where India beat the Proteas 5-1 in the ODIs and 2-1 in the T20s, the team will shift its focus to the Nidhas Trophy. The tri-series is being hosted by Sri Lanka and also includes Bangladesh as a special contests to celebrate Lanka’s Independence. Following the short trip to the island nation, players would shift attention to IPL before the series in Ireland and England in the middle of the year. Keeping the tight schedule in mind, it was imperative for the selectors to try the bench strength. Mayank Agarwal with 2141 runs across formats in the domestic season ticked all boxes but still failed to find a spot in the 15-man squad. Agarwal scored 90 runs in the Vijay Hazare Trophy final to take Karnataka to the title.

“No player should be confused about where he stands. Our committee speaks to every player — even those who are to selected and try to give them a fair picture. Accordingly, I spoke to Mayank and told him that with his brilliant performances in domestic cricket, he has now definitely got himself in the mix (national team reckoning). I told him that he is now in the queue,” said national selection committee chairman MSK Prasad in a chat with PTI. “We have followed a pattern in our selection process. Each and every national contender is in the queue and we don’t believe that anyone can jump the queue. Mayank is a wonderful kid and he completely understood what I explained to him. He told me ‘Sir, you are spot on and ‘I am not in a hurry at all’.”

Jasprit Bumrah – an asset in the limited overs already – added Test matches to his list of suitable formats. He bowled 162.1 overs across formats including 112.1 overs in the three-match Test series. Keeping the workload in mind, Prasad said it is important that he is not over-used. “I am delighted with Jasprit’s performance. We always had confidence in his abilities as he had done well for Gujarat in Ranji Trophy. But now our primary goal is to monitor his workload very carefully with so much international cricket ahead. We need to be careful that he is not over-used,” said Prasad.

He further stressed on using Bumrah only for important series also considering his unusual bowling action. “If you look at his action, it is a rare one and he can be prone to injuries. We need to use him for the important Test series coming ahead. For each and every fast bowler, the balance of workload is very important and the high performance team will be monitoring it closely,” said the former India wicketkeeper.

Yuzvendra Chahal and Kuldeep Chahal were the other two bowlers who had South Africa’s measure during the tour. The two wrist spinners shared 33 wickets between them in India’s ODI series. “We always believed that wrist spinners are wicket-taking investments that we had to make. Both Chahal and Kuldeep have really lived up to our expectations. The most heartening aspect has been the pool that we have managed to create. We now have five quality spinners for three formats — Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Kuldeep Yadav, Yuzvendra Chahal and Axar Patel,” Prasad said.

http://indianexpress.com/article/sp...m-selector-msk-prasad-mayank-agarwal-5081666/

Last edited by a moderator:
MSK, that journeyman cricketer, is sounding a little too pleased with himself above. He has made some truly baffling selection calls by preferring Parthiv and DK ahead of future investments like Pant. There's also a feeling that MSK allows himself to be bullied by the Kohli-Shastri duo.

As for Mayank, he should be in a hurry, he's what 27 now? Would be good if he can hit the ground running for India as he enters his peak batting years.

Last edited:
Scored runs on A tours and even big hundreds aginst visiting teams in practice matches...but never consistent in IPL only quick 20' and 30's

Another problem as an opener no place in Top order of Indian team.. even Rahul struggling to find a place in 11

Both Rahul and Mayank need to target middle order in Ipl

The queue for wicket keeper is a circular one and going round slowly with Dhoni and Karthik.

The queue for wicket keeper is a circular one and going round slowly with Dhoni and Karthik.

Rishabh Pant is not what I call world class wicket keeper. He is OK for domestic level keeping. I can't imagine him keeping well against likes of Kuldeep Yadav. He'll be a huge liability as a wicket keeper.

As far as his batting is concerned, he's more suited for flat tracks. If there's something in the pitch for the bowlers or pitch is a bit sluggish, his batting just collapses.

So you can use him purely as a lower order batsman on a good batting wicket in T20s. He's not even selectable in ODIs.

Rishabh Pant is not what I call world class wicket keeper. He is OK for domestic level keeping. I can't imagine him keeping well against likes of Kuldeep Yadav. He'll be a huge liability as a wicket keeper.

As far as his batting is concerned, he's more suited for flat tracks. If there's something in the pitch for the bowlers or pitch is a bit sluggish, his batting just collapses.

So you can use him purely as a lower order batsman on a good batting wicket in T20s. He's not even selectable in ODIs.

Sanju Samson is decent. Anyways , apart from stumping capabilities , Dhoni is below average in keeping and atrocious while batting.
It is been said that Ishan Kishan , of whom I am a big fan , has improved his keeping.

Last edited:
Sanju Samson is decent. Anyways , apart from stumping capabilities , Dhoni is below average in keeping and atrocious while batting.
It is been said that Ishan Kishan , of whom I am a big fan , has improved his keeping.

Don't think so brother, MSD is still one of the best if not THE BEST keeper in World Cricket :msd

Just the media hype. Stumping , he is still the greatest. Apart from that mediocre.

Let's agree to disagree.. not because of media, in my opinion MSD is still the best keeper in India for ODI and T20 (Tests Saha is Best).

MSD the batsman is liability in T20 atleast !

Last edited:
Let's agree to disagree.. not because of media, in my opinion MSD is still the best keeper in India for ODI and T20 (Tests Saha is Best).

MSD the batsman is liability in T20 atleast !

Lets wait for the inevitable WC disaster.

Instead of giving young prospects a chance (Mayank isn't even that young anymore) the Indian selectors would rather recall OAPs like Yuvraj as they did last year, continue picking failures like Dinesh Karthik (guy still averages in the 20s after 13 years of odi cricket), or go for complete crazy selections like Faiz Fazal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back